PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Weekly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Magicme
04/04/2006, 8:16 AM
Was too tired (and headachy) to stay awake for it last nite but would love to know if Scully said anything bout our great victory on Sunday nite. He was writing as many notes as me at the game so would be interesting to hear what he said.

Anyone able to brief me?

Mr A
04/04/2006, 8:24 AM
I don't think they actually said anything about the first division bar showing goals from Terryland and Newbridge and reading out the results.

Magicme
04/04/2006, 8:34 AM
Glad I didnt stay awake then! Wish it was on earlier!

Jerry The Saint
04/04/2006, 8:45 AM
I don't think they actually said anything about the first division bar showing goals from Terryland and Newbridge and reading out the results.

Which is more than they showed of Sligo/Pats or Longford/CHF. What's the deal here - they showed plenty of Rovers games last year when they were in the first:confused: I'm all for giving a bit of coverage to the lower leagues but it shouldn't be at the expense of premier coverage - that's what programs like OB Sport, that are on once a month, are for.

shelbourne1904
04/04/2006, 8:48 AM
Does antone have any idea why the EL show is on so late??Is it to protect children or something??

It just seems like TV3 have to put it on but dont want anyone to see it???

Mr A
04/04/2006, 8:52 AM
The first division clubs involved organise their own coverage and send it to TV3 as far as I know. It's not a case of the first being covered 'at the expense' of the premier.

I remember floating an idea on here before on all clubs paying into a pool weekly to ensure that there's a camera at every league match. Of course it shouldn't be necessary but if noone else will do it the clubs should get together and promote the league themselves.

monutdfc
04/04/2006, 9:08 AM
Magicme, I have got my new dvd recorder set to record it every week now. If we ever get a mention I'll have a dvd couriered straight to you.

They should have spent more time looking at the Finn Harps "goal"

Mr A
04/04/2006, 9:16 AM
Damn right they should- one of the greatest goals in the history of football ;) !

Magicme
04/04/2006, 9:26 AM
Magicme, I have got my new dvd recorder set to record it every week now. If we ever get a mention I'll have a dvd couriered straight to you.

Thanks! With Pat Scully having been to 2 of our games out of 4 this season I thought he mite have said something!

Peadar
04/04/2006, 9:29 AM

Why so?

DmanDmythDledge
04/04/2006, 9:35 AM
Do they actually show any football? I started watching during the ads thinking they would leave U.C.D. till the end. How can you have a decent highlights programme by shoving all the action into the first half- and that doesn't even have all the games.

monutdfc
04/04/2006, 9:48 AM
Why so?
Because it was a controversial decision and it was hard to see without a replay whether anyone touched the ball before it went over the line. Talking points like that make the show more interesting, instead of the usual "yeah, Drogheda will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season" and replaying a goal with Osam or Scully describing exactly what you can see on the screen anyway.

I think it is time for eircom League Weekly to improve. The music, graphics, everything give it the feel of a transition year project.

Mr A
04/04/2006, 9:52 AM
I think it is time for eircom League Weekly to improve. The music, graphics, everything give it the feel of a transition year project.

Spot on. They've been at it long enough to start making a better fist of it.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 9:53 AM
Because it was a controversial decision and it was hard to see without a replay whether anyone touched the ball before it went over the line. Talking points like that make the show more interesting...

How is talking about some insignificant event in a D1 game interesting?
Talking about it certainly wont change the result!

gufct
04/04/2006, 10:02 AM
peadar.The decision was nothing short of disgraceful watched it again last night in slow mo after the programme the ball never touched anyone direct from a throw no goal .It could probably end up on what happened next on BBC.

footballplease
04/04/2006, 10:04 AM
Lads,

Last night's show was appalling - what sort of camerawork would you call that at United Park?? Also, i know Scully hates Bray but why do they consistently ignore us? On the drog v bray game they spent the whole time talking about how great drogheda were doing ( and fair play - they are! ) but not even a word on us. It's the same every week. Talk about Shels, Cork and Drogheda and f**k the rest!!

ConorE
04/04/2006, 10:08 AM
I actually think Scully is starting to grow into the job. I thought the two of them spoke particularly well regarding the transfer of players last night.

Not as good as Setanta coverage thought. I think Healy is excellent and the general coverage is of a decent standard apart from Brian Hamelton who should learn to shut up every now and again.

Mr A
04/04/2006, 10:10 AM
Doesn't the fact that you had to watch it in slow-mo show that it was a tight call? I saw it twice and it was very hard to say whether there was or wasn't a slight touch somewhere. The ref got one look at it and had to make a snap call. Maybe he got it wrong (I think he did), but there's no way on earth it was as clear-cut as it's being made out to be.

And Peadar- talking about any game doesn't change the result, and virtually nothing said on eL weekly is interesting. And if a goal that comes from a throw-in isn't intersting, what the hell is?

Peadar
04/04/2006, 10:55 AM
And Peadar- talking about any game doesn't change the result, and virtually nothing said on eL weekly is interesting. And if a goal that comes from a throw-in isn't intersting, what the hell is?

I don't think anyone would sit down and say, "Harps are a poor side but they have the ability to score from a throw in to they'll be there or there abouts at the end of the season!" :rolleyes: Why does it need to be analysed? gufct had to record it and slow it down in order to convince himself that no one touched it. What chance did the ref. have at the time.

The fact remains, it was a goal because the ref. awarded it.
Get over it!

monutdfc
04/04/2006, 11:06 AM
Why does it need to be analysed? gufct had to record it and slow it down in order to convince himself that no one touched it.
Exactly! Why didn't eircom League Weekly play a slow-mo replay during the programme? That's what I wanted to see, then have Scully say yes it was goal, and Oso say no it wasn't, or whatever, while I make up my own mind. It's not about criticising the ref, it's simply that it was a talking point and TV3 have the capability to do a slow-mo replay, that's the advantage of a tv highlights show.
(Ill have to slow it down on the recording on my new dvd recorder hard-drive myself now)

Magicme
04/04/2006, 11:11 AM
stop bragging bout ur "new dvd recorder" u rich git! :D

Wiseguy
04/04/2006, 11:34 AM
It's a disgrace the coverage the EL gets.The camera work is dirt and the lenght of the show is a joke.Every game should be shown,reviewed and previewed.It's not like TV3 have anything better to show FFS.

gufct
04/04/2006, 11:43 AM
I was right beside the incident on Friday night as you well know and the only reason I watched it last night was to confirm that i was right. How the ref gave it without consulting the linesman who had a better view than him I dont know and how harps gave the goal to mokendi beggars belief as the harps players all ran to minno0ck with mokendi leading the rush.

If this had been on Sky or Match of the day it would have been replayed to death the show is a joke and it must cost about a €5 to produce.

Sonic
04/04/2006, 11:44 AM
Which is more than they showed of Sligo/Pats or Longford/CHF. What's the deal here - they showed plenty of Rovers games last year when they were in the first:confused: I'm all for giving a bit of coverage to the lower leagues but it shouldn't be at the expense of premier coverage - that's what programs like OB Sport, that are on once a month, are for.

lets be honest their wasnt much highlights from the longford dc game. Their only showing rovers game cos that tool skully is on it.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 11:51 AM
Why didn't eircom League Weekly play a slow-mo replay during the programme? That's what I wanted to see, then have Scully say yes it was goal, and Oso say no it wasn't, or whatever, while I make up my own mind.

Osam and Pat would have said "it's a goal" simply because the ref. awarded it and therefore it's a goal. Where's the need for debate?

If this had been on Sky or Match of the day it would have been replayed to death

What's the point going over and over something like that? Do you think that the result will be changed of the game replayed? Dream on! Get over it!

NY Hoop
04/04/2006, 12:43 PM
lets be honest their wasnt much highlights from the longford dc game. Their only showing rovers game cos that tool skully is on it.

Wrong. They are showing our games cos we send in the tapes. If you want yours done then tape it and send it in. Yeah Scully is a "tool":rolleyes:

KOH

Peadar
04/04/2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah Scully is a "tool":rolleyes:

I'd rather have that tool on the show than the tool from Longford that Setanta have on the Setanta Sports Cup shows.

At least Scully understands football!

ColinR
04/04/2006, 12:49 PM
What's the point going over and over something like that? Do you think that the result will be changed of the game replayed? Dream on! Get over it!

then surely whats the point of any hughlights coverage? it was a controversial incident in a game with two teams with aspirations of a top two finish, it is a talking point. a bit like the shels goal against cork in last years setanta - just because the decision is made and the goal has been awarded, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be discussed.

ideally eL weekly would be like goals on sunday on sky - all the goals from all the games, plenty of light-hearted talk, and a bit of serious analysis all thrown in.

pineapple stu
04/04/2006, 12:57 PM
Do they actually show any football? I started watching during the ads thinking they would leave U.C.D. till the end. How can you have a decent highlights programme by shoving all the action into the first half- and that doesn't even have all the games.
I missed the first five minutes and just managed to catch Podge's gilt-edged chance right at the end. Then I found out I'd also missed Bohs v Waterford! Fortunately, they then replayed most of what I'd just missed under the guise of analysis. Appalling show. If it weren't for the fact that it forces me to stay up late and get some work done on the computer, I wouldn't bother watching. As it is, I work away and just pop my head in the door for the 30 seconds of action.

Goal of the Month is a joke too. Some of those goals were average at best, while Paul Byrne's 35-yarder against Dundalk was missed. OK, it was a League Cup game, but it would have beaten any of the candidates hands down. (Apparently...Admittedly I missed the game, but am just going on match reports and the Dundalk forum). Some very ordinary goals there too - Glen's goal v Dublin City? A looping header (from Hawkins, I think)?! Bar-stoolers watching this are going to think this is one of the top six goals the entire league can score in a month?!

Schumi
04/04/2006, 1:00 PM
Paul Byrne's 35-yarder... would have beaten any of the candidates hands down. (Apparently...Admittedly I missed the game, but am just going on match reports and the Dundalk forum).LOL Post of the Month. :D

Bald Student
04/04/2006, 1:24 PM
What's the point going over and over something like that? Do you think that the result will be changed of the game replayed? Dream on! Get over it!Peadar, noone is having any trouble getting over anything and noone is expecting the result to be changed. The whole point of a highlights show is to see the main incidents in a game and TV3 are falling down on that.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 2:02 PM
The whole point of a highlights show is to see the main incidents in a game and TV3 are falling down on that.

The incident was shown, more than once. How much more do you want!
It was a D1 game ffs! There were far more important highlights to be shown and discussion to be had.

monutdfc
04/04/2006, 2:19 PM
The incident was shown, more than once.
Was it shown more than once? I was falling asleep tbh:o.

Schumi
04/04/2006, 2:21 PM
Was it shown more than once? I was falling asleep tbh:o.
It was shown twice. It was the same clip at the same speed though so you could see nothing new.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 2:24 PM
It was shown twice. It was the same clip at the same speed though so you could see nothing new.

There was nothing to see because they had only one camera in the ground. Blame GUFC for not providing better pictures.

TV3 didn't show our goal which was disallowed or the time where Fenn chested the ball to your keeper when he tried to control it in front of goal, but you don't hear me crying like a D1 fan.

They have a lot to get into the show. If Shels had played Derry, they probably wouldn't have shown Galway and this pointless debate wouldn't be wasting bandwidth!

Schumi
04/04/2006, 2:27 PM
TV3 didn't show our goal which was disallowed or the time where Fenn chested the ball to your keeper when he tried to control it in front of goal, but you don't hear me crying like a D1 fan.
But if they'd talk less $hite and show more clips, everyone would be happier.

The disallowed goal was well offside BTW.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 2:30 PM
The disallowed goal was well offside BTW.

I've already said on our own site that it looked offside from where I was but the important fact is that offside was the decision given, not a goal so I wasn't bothered about watching it and wrecking my head with what could have been.

With regard to the talking, so long as they never get like RTÉ on their Premiership programme and talk shíte for two hours, I'll be happy!

Conor H
04/04/2006, 6:23 PM
...If this had been the "mighty" rebel Army it would have a been a different story,ya?
Its just a "pointless"Divison 1 game..:rolleyes:

Your an awful clown:cool:

gufct
05/04/2006, 9:13 AM
all games are important peadar.Your arrogance is unbelievable .

garykelly
05/04/2006, 9:21 AM

they couldnt show sligo rovers/st pats becuase we had no camera at the game on saturday. this was strange as first time we had no camera at game since the club started getting them covered at the start of last season. hopefully it's just a one off.

Peadar
05/04/2006, 10:17 AM
all games are important peadar.Your arrogance is unbelievable .

It's your buddy conorh who called it a "pointless D1 game"!

If you want better coverage, provide better pictures!
The First Division is less significant than the Premier Division, fact!

Magicme
05/04/2006, 10:46 AM

If you want better coverage, provide better pictures!
The First Division is less significant than the Premier Division, fact!

Not to the supporters of the clubs in it it isn't....FACT!

NY Hoop
05/04/2006, 11:00 AM
they couldnt show sligo rovers/st pats becuase we had no camera at the game on saturday. this was strange as first time we had no camera at game since the club started getting them covered at the start of last season. hopefully it's just a one off.

Find out if its the club doing it or a local. While you're at put the gantry facing the main stand.

KOH

garykelly
05/04/2006, 11:09 AM
Find out if its the club doing it or a local. While you're at put the gantry facing the main stand.

KOH

its a local doing it for the club and found out he was just ill on saturday.

re: gantry

sssh,there are some who dont like sensible suggestions in these parts !! ;)

Trainee
05/04/2006, 11:13 AM
Does any one know how long TV3 has the rights to eircom weekly?
It would be great if Seanta /RTE/ or even TG4 could get the rights to it(they coundnt make the show anyworse because lets face eircom weekly on TV3 show is crap

But for now it is all we have and it has to be better than nothing I suppose (just about)

gufct
05/04/2006, 11:15 AM

Peadar are are you too superior to notice it.

Peadar
05/04/2006, 11:18 AM
Not to the supporters of the clubs in it it isn't....FACT!

Ok, here's the deal. There was a goal scored at a First Division game on Friday. Some of the home fans are upset about it. It was showed at least twice on the highlights show produced by a national station. Now do you really expect that it deserved any more coverage or debate?

Some galway boy called me arrogant but it's fairly arrogant for them to expect greater coverage of their game, on a national TV station. It's bad enough that TG4 is disgracefully biased towards galway without eL weekly going that way as well.

You've failed to beat Harps twice in the space of 5 days, you're simply not good enough to beat them! There's nothing else to say!

Magicme
05/04/2006, 11:22 AM
Ok, here's the deal. There was a goal scored at a First Division game on Friday. Some of the home fans are upset about it. It was showed at least twice on the highlights show produced by a national station. Now do you really expect that it deserved any more coverage or debate?

Some galway boy called me arrogant but it's fairly arrogant for them to expect greater coverage of their game, on a national TV station. It's bad enough that TG4 is disgracefully biased towards galway without eL weekly going that way as well.

You've failed to beat Harps twice in the space of 5 days, you're simply not good enough to beat them! There's nothing else to say!

Aw fair enough but they should have a bit of coverage or at least discussion on both leagues. I have stopped staying up on a Monday nite to watch it coz the only mention we will get is in the results. We played a blinder against Cobh on Sunday, scored 3 great goals against a team who were nearly in the promotion play off last year and we came second last in that season....do u not think that deserved some mention? Considering Scully was there and took loads of notes (not blaming him coz TV3 would say what would be discussed and not really blaming TV3 either coz they do a grand job) but just think that there should be a longer show with a bit more time given to the 1st Division...how else are we gonna get people to come out and believe that we have a viable team to market?

Peadar
05/04/2006, 11:24 AM
It would be great if Seanta /RTE/ or even TG4 could get the rights to it(they coundnt make the show anyworse because lets face eircom weekly on TV3 show is crap

RTÉ had years of control over TV rights for football in Ireland but almost completely ignored the domestic game until they got some competition from TV3.
Now you can go back to those dark days if you want but until TV3 came along, we didn't even have a regular highlights programme with discussion.

RTÉ don't deserve any second chances!

As for Setanta, they don't have a terristrial channel and therefore would deny many fans access to their coverage.

eircom league weekly isn't great but at least TV3 are trying.

Peadar
05/04/2006, 11:26 AM
but just think that there should be a longer show with a bit more time given to the 1st Division...how else are we gonna get people to come out and believe that we have a viable team to market?

Do you have cameras at your home games and do you supply pictures to TV3?