PDA

View Full Version : Avondale’s club crest grew out of their roots

A face
04/04/2006, 2:52 AM
Avondale’s club crest grew out of their roots

Avondale United was founded in Cork City in 1972 and the club crest is an unusual design. Avondale United incorporate a Sycamore Tree in their club crest and it is a reference to their foundation in 1972 in the Cork City suburb of Ballintemple. The decision to form the club was taken at a meeting in the living-room of a house owned, at the time, by Mr. Joe Barrett, since deceased.

His son, Martin, was present at the meeting along with brothers Pat and Brendan McCarthy and Gerard Roche. They founded the club, invited Martin’s father Joe to be the first President, and Avondale United came into being. The name of the house in which the meeting took place was Sycamore House. The idea of a design for the club crest was born.

Read more at www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=183)

hamish
04/04/2006, 4:28 AM
Funny you should mention that A Face.
When I was in Manulla FC's (Mayo) smashing clubhouse about 7 years they showed me their club coat of arms so to speak and every part of it depicted a facet of their community and history - enthralling depiction of local history in one badge.
Wish more clubs would do likewise as a club's sense of identity, culture/history, social and geographical plus work history can be a source of great pride for club members and a bonding effect for it's participants.
Great idea for a thread BTW - hope you'll get a good response from loads of club members with their story.
Bravo amigo - this is the kind of thread that fascinates me.
Looking at West Ham's crest it is easy to detect that the club emerged from the Thames Ironworks and it's club and have hammers on the badge - hence the obvious Hammers and Irons nicknames.
It could mean that when club's meet, they will have a greater sense of their opponents history and therefore a match of mutual yet competitive nature will ensue.

Love to see loads of examples from now on - from EL clubs too.

razor
04/04/2006, 9:26 AM
4 excellent articles on all teams left in the Intermediate cup.
New site looks good.