PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night's Results

Pages : [1] 2

Mr A
03/04/2006, 9:40 PM
Shels 1-1 Derry
Linfield 6-0 Glentoran

Which means that Cork host Shels and Linfield host Drogheda in the semis. From what little I saw of the match at Tolka it seemed like a really good game.

In the league cup Harps won 2-1 on penalties against Galway after a last gasp equaliser secured them a 1-1 draw in normal time.

pineapple stu
03/04/2006, 9:46 PM
2-1 on penalties?! :eek: Did neither of yez want to win!?

iceman
03/04/2006, 9:46 PM
In the league cup Harps won 2-1 on penalties against Galway after a last gasp equaliser secured them a 1-1 draw in normal time.

Are you saying there was seven out of ten penalties missed?

pineapple stu
03/04/2006, 9:54 PM
Six out of nine. Harps still had one over. (2/4 v 1/5). Harps forum shows two hitting the bar in a row, couple of saves, couple of misses.

micls
03/04/2006, 10:02 PM
Who will make the final??

Unsurprisingly i think City can beat Shels monday but I think Linfield will just about beat Drogheda maybe 1-0 or 2-1.

Linfield Vs City in Windsor would be a day to look forward to

Raheny Red
03/04/2006, 10:40 PM
I thought it was a shocking match tonight! But hey a thriller next Monday on the cards now!

Linfield - Shels final! Linfield, 2 in a row :(

RedX
03/04/2006, 10:54 PM
Delighted we avoided Linfield until the final...;)

SeanDrog
04/04/2006, 6:47 AM
We have a fantastic defence - Linfield may find it a bit tougher than what they are use to .

What happens if its a draw after fulltime - replay or extra time/penalties?

Peadar
04/04/2006, 9:14 AM
We have a fantastic defence

Conceding 5 goals so far in the Setanta Sports Cup is "fantastic"? :confused:

Cosmo
04/04/2006, 9:18 AM
Conceding 5 goals so far in the Setanta Sports Cup is "fantastic"? :confused:

No but conceding zero goals in 4 league matches is

Peadar
04/04/2006, 9:25 AM
No but conceding zero goals in 4 league matches is

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

You wont be playing Linfield in the league this season though!

David
04/04/2006, 9:28 AM
We have a fantastic defence - Linfield may find it a bit tougher than what they are use to .

What happens if its a draw after fulltime - replay or extra time/penalties?

To be honest at the start of the competition I seen Drogheda as the weakest of the 4 EL teams but I am not too sure now. By all accounts you are playing really well. Only seen your game away to Cork and felt you lost your discipline a bit but held your own up until then. I think this is going to be a really tough one for us. How many do you think will make the trip up?

Cosmo
04/04/2006, 9:34 AM
I think this is going to be a really tough one for us. How many do you think will make the trip up?

It's hard to know!!

The Setanta Cup 'buzz' really hasn't got going for drogheda supporters who would only see it above our league cup here - our away crowds will justify that comment, which have been sh!te.

However, Linfield away is what this competition is all about and I can't wait for it!!

It was the fixture I wanted from day one, just for the experience of it!! (I'm too young to rememeber the last time the 2 clubs met in a competitive match in our old stadium, the Lourdes Stadium, but have heard the stories!!)

David
04/04/2006, 9:47 AM
It's hard to know!!

The Setanta Cup 'buzz' really hasn't got going for drogheda supporters who would only see it above our league cup here - our away crowds will justify that comment, which have been sh!te.

However, Linfield away is what this competition is all about and I can't wait for it!!

It was the fixture I wanted from day one, just for the experience of it!! (I'm too young to rememeber the last time the 2 clubs met in a competitive match in our old stadium, the Lourdes Stadium, but have heard the stories!!)

I am too young for that one myself, when was it? I recall numerous games against LOI clubs in the late 70's and early 80's and attended them but never recall us playing Drogheda.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 9:47 AM
To be honest at the start of the competition I seen Drogheda as the weakest of the 4 EL teams but I am not too sure now.

They're the weakest team alright.
They can't play for a draw in your place because there must be a winner on the night and Drogheda don't know how to play for a win in a big game. They'll try to kick you up and down the park! If Linfield are patient, drogs will have a player or two sent off, then you can go in for the kill.

See you in the final.

Cosmo
04/04/2006, 9:49 AM
I am too young for that one myself, when was it? I recall numerous games against LOI clubs in the late 70's and early 80's and attended them but never recall us playing Drogheda.

I think it was around 82 or 83 but I could be wrong - I'm sure an older drog will be able to confirm!!

It's still talked about down here :eek: !!

David
04/04/2006, 9:56 AM
I think it was around 82 or 83 but I could be wrong - I'm sure an older drog will be able to confirm!!

It's still talked about down here :eek: !!

Think you may be wrong with that one. The last all Ireland competiton prior to the Setanta was in 1980-81 I think. It was known as the Tyler Cup and we won it. The away games that I recall that year were Sligo and Athlone in the final, I attended both. I think if it had been the 80's I would have remembered it, maybe not though.

Cosmo
04/04/2006, 10:11 AM
Think you may be wrong with that one. The last all Ireland competiton prior to the Setanta was in 1980-81 I think. It was known as the Tyler Cup and we won it. The away games that I recall that year were Sligo and Athlone in the final, I attended both. I think if it had been the 80's I would have remembered it, maybe not though.

Might've been late 70's so - as I said it was a few years before my time. A couple of older drogs might be on later who will be able to confirm the year

Jerry The Saint
04/04/2006, 10:18 AM
Drogheda don't know how to play for a win in a big game.

See you in the final.

Maybe they don't know how to play for a win but I seem to remember some big game in Lansdowne in December that worked out alright for them.

fbtn
04/04/2006, 10:34 AM

What year did you play in the Tyler Cup in Ballybofey? 1980? Think Glentoran were the last, 1981. Neither was pretty.

You and the Glens must have a running book on who could break the most windows in the town ;)

David
04/04/2006, 11:14 AM
What year did you play in the Tyler Cup in Ballybofey? 1980? Think Glentoran were the last, 1981. Neither was pretty.

You and the Glens must have a running book on who could break the most windows in the town ;)

Think Ballybofey may have been the late 70's. If I recall it was 5-1 to Finn Harps with around 15 or 20 minutes to go and it ended up a 5-5 draw with Finn Harps winning on penalties.

Trainee
04/04/2006, 11:40 AM
Bad Result For Galway united :(
It not the fact that we lost lost but to be 1 nil up against finn Harps twice in 3 days with 5 mins to go and we did not win either game

But the most worst thing is our strikers just cant seem to score and this was proved last night when we missed 4 out 5 pens with our centre back scoring our only pen.

If we dont get it right soon it could be a long season with a lot of nil all draws

ndrog
04/04/2006, 11:41 AM
They're the weakest team alright.
They can't play for a draw in your place because there must be a winner on the night and Drogheda don't know how to play for a win in a big game. They'll try to kick you up and down the park! If Linfield are patient, drogs will have a player or two sent off, then you can go in for the kill.

See you in the final.

another classic statement from you ! we hope linfield go in for the kill just like the corkies did in the cup final.Ha Ha :D

Peadar
04/04/2006, 11:56 AM
we hope linfield go in for the kill just like the corkies did in the cup final.Ha Ha :D

Linfield won't play with 2 Shels players in their team so you can forget about getting that lucky again.

Speranza
04/04/2006, 12:01 PM
Disgusted. We played $helbourne off the park and seem to have no luck at all. The only positive is that we demonstrated that we are a better team that $hels. Oh and Barry Molloy is a superstar!

Peadar
04/04/2006, 12:08 PM
Disgusted. We played $helbourne off the park and seem to have no luck at all.

When? Last night? Not a hope!
There was a time there before you scored where Shels were opening you up with ease and it looked like boys against men! You just about deserved a draw. Certainly didn't deserve anything more.

Believe me mate, it pains me to say that. I wanted you to stay in the competition but you didn't do enough and that defeat to Glens was the difference.

pete
04/04/2006, 12:12 PM
Derry City do Linfield a favour by virtually handing them a Setanta Cup final place. I thought shels better as they created more from open play.

I see little chance of Drogs getting a result in Windsor especially as Dan Connor is suspended so no keeper.

Speranza
04/04/2006, 12:18 PM
I disagree Paeder. Our midfield was superb especially Barry Molloy but we just weren't clinical enough in the final third. $hels had about 4 shots all game and we dominated possesion. We just need to start shooting and teach Mc Court to simplify the game and we'll be perfect

David
04/04/2006, 12:24 PM
Disgusted. We played $helbourne off the park and seem to have no luck at all. The only positive is that we demonstrated that we are a better team that $hels. Oh and Barry Molloy is a superstar!

You can't score goals. All your good play is in areas where teams are happy to let you play football. Unless you can sort this problem out I don't think you will finsih as high as you did last year.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 12:41 PM
Our midfield was superb especially Barry Molloy but we just weren't clinical enough in the final third. $hels had about 4 shots all game and we dominated possesion.

Shels were 1-0 up at home, one foot in the semi-final and happy to let you chase the game. See the bigger picture Sparenza mate.
You just weren't good enough!

You did Linfield a huge favour. Surely that will go a long way to improve relations between the clubs. That is at least something positive for you to take from your participation in the competition...

Schumi
04/04/2006, 12:58 PM
You did Linfield a huge favour. Surely that will go a long way to improve relations between the clubs. That is at least something positive for you to take from your participation in the competition...
Derry fans were actually saying after that at least they'd done some good in knocking Shels off the top of the group! :eek:

Aaron
04/04/2006, 1:04 PM
Its no good coming out saying we knocked them off the top, we played them off the park and deserved a win. I'm not goin to harp on about it but hopefully this will spur us to the league title:)

ndrog
04/04/2006, 1:15 PM
Linfield won't play with 2 Shels players in their team so you can forget about getting that lucky again.

thats a great excuse.We werent lucky we gave you a spanking .

micls
04/04/2006, 1:20 PM
thats a great excuse.We werent lucky we gave you a spanking .

Could we stick to the football please. Whatever you your friends and Peadar got up to that day is none of our business :D

Seriously though I think the Linfield Drogheda game will be very close but thik Linfield will edge it. Cant see a huge number of Drogs fans travelling on a tuesday night and with Linfield comfortable at home and full of confidence I think that will give them the edge. 1-0 Linfield

harpskid
04/04/2006, 1:43 PM
On the topic of the Tyler Cup game between Harps and Linfield, it was played on May 4th 1978.

After a 5-5 draw, Harps won it 4-3 on penalties.

Teams -
Finn Harps – Eddie Mahon, Declan Mc Dowell, Paul Mc Guinness, Tony O Doherty, Jim Sheridan, Joe Healy, Joe Logan, Hilay Carlyle, Tom Mc Guinness, Jon Duffy, Charlie Ferry. Subs – Eddie Mc Groarty and Terry Harkin.

Linfield – Ken Barclay, Alan Fraser, Frank Parks, Roy Coyle, Peter Rafferty, Cyril Hewitt, Dave Nixon, John Garrett, Jim Martin, Martin Malone, Billy Murray.

David
04/04/2006, 1:47 PM
On the topic of the Tyler Cup game between Harps and Linfield, it was played on May 4th 1978.

Teams -
Finn Harps – Eddie Mahon, Declan Mc Dowell, Paul Mc Guinness, Tony O Doherty, Jim Sheridan, Joe Healy, Joe Logan, Hilay Carlyle, Tom Mc Guinness, Jon Duffy, Charlie Ferry. Subs – Eddie Mc Groarty and Terry Harkin.

Linfield – Ken Barclay, Alan Fraser, Frank Parks, Roy Coyle, Peter Rafferty, Cyril Hewitt, Dave Nixon, John Garrett, Jim Martin, Martin Malone, Billy Murray.

My old memory is not too bad. I actually recall that game and I was only 9 at the time (honest :p ). Some great memories there with that Linfield line up. Peter Rafferty, my all time favourite player but Billy Murray, Davy Nixon, Alan Fraser and John Garrett were all Linfield greats.

coislaoi
04/04/2006, 1:54 PM
Might've been late 70's so - as I said it was a few years before my time. A couple of older drogs might be on later who will be able to confirm the year

Hello!!!! Is there anybody out there. Where are all the older Drogs?? Oh, wait there are no older Drogs fans.:eek: :eek: It's only johnnycomelatelys and bandwagonjumpers here.:p

Peadar
04/04/2006, 1:59 PM
...we played them off the park and deserved a win.

That is quite simply untrue!
If what Derry fans saw last night is what they consider playing someone off the park then I can only now appreciate why you celebrated your League Cup victory so much.

Shels were 1-0 up and they allowed you posession around the midfield, but you didn't threaten until late on, after they had made some changes.

You won 1 game and failed to score in 3.
You finished just 3 points ahead of Glens.

It's right in front of you, staring you in the face! Open your eyes and see it!

ColinR
04/04/2006, 2:00 PM
Hello!!!! Is there anybody out there. Where are all the older Drogs?? Oh, wait there are no older Drogs fans.:eek: It's only johnnycomelatelys and bandwagonjumpers here.:p

in fairness it would have been about 78/79 when we were playing in the tyler cup - at that stage there wasn't even a cork city fc. whose the johnnycomelatelys now ;)

OneRedArmy
04/04/2006, 2:11 PM
That is quite simply untrue!
If what Derry fans saw last night is what they consider playing someone off the park then I can only now appreciate why you celebrated your League Cup victory so much.

Shels were 1-0 up and they allowed you posession around the midfield, but you didn't threaten until late on, after they had made some changes.

You won 1 game and failed to score in 3.
You finished just 3 points ahead of Glens.

It's right in front of you, staring you in the face! Open your eyes and see it!
Game of two halves. We dominated the first, looked like the home team, should have scored a couple, let in a soft one on the break. Was always going to be tough after that.

Second half we were poor for the first 30 and Shels should have got another, then we dominated the last 15 minutes.

Draw was a fair result and yes our lack of goals killed us.

Your last point is irrelevant. We finished 2 points behind Shels, which is much more relevant.

And we'll see how well Cork get on when they play a decent side in the tournament.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 2:27 PM
And we'll see how well Cork get on when they play a decent side in the tournament.

Oh you've gone and done it now!
You'll have the drogs all over you, spamming your forum with abuse.
Run for the hills mate... :D

Krstic
04/04/2006, 2:41 PM
[QUOTE=Peadar]Shels were 1-0 up and they allowed you posession around the midfield, but you didn't threaten until late on, after they had made some changes.

[QUOTE]

So the two efforts we had off the woodwork in the first half don't count as 'Threatening' :confused:

fbtn
04/04/2006, 2:52 PM

Teams -

That was some Harps team there as well. Tony 'Doc' O'Doherty, Big Jim Sheridan, Logan, Carlyle, Ferry and Harkin. Two NI Internationals. I'm sure there was one or two on the Linfield side as well.

Martin McGuinness's brother there too. Wasn't aware he played that day. One of the Harps lads has a paper cut-out of the match report scanned. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 3:09 PM
So the two efforts we had off the woodwork in the first half don't count as 'Threatening' :confused:

I'll tell you one thing for sure mate, they don't count as goals.
+1 goal difference? Tut tut tut.

We had heard all about how good Derry are and how McCourt would be amazing after a wee rest so you can understand why we all feel a bit let down now after seeing how poor you've been in the Setanta Cup.

As I said though, you've done Linfield a huge favour and virtually presented them with a place in the final so you should celebrate the good will between your two clubs now.

David
04/04/2006, 3:12 PM
That was some Harps team there as well. Tony 'Doc' O'Doherty, Big Jim Sheridan, Logan, Carlyle, Ferry and Harkin. Two NI Internationals. I'm sure there was one or two on the Linfield side as well.

Martin McGuinness's brother there too. Wasn't aware he played that day. One of the Harps lads has a paper cut-out of the match report scanned. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Roy Coyle and Peter Rafferty were both internationals. Peter got his onoe and only cap against England at Windsor. The roar that greeted him when he came on as sub was incredible and within minutes he put Trevor Francis up in the air which was greeted with as big a cheer.

dancinpants
04/04/2006, 4:01 PM
we all feel a bit let down now after seeing how poor you've been in the Setanta Cup.

There's a wind up if ever I seen one.

Peadar
04/04/2006, 4:44 PM
There's a wind up if ever I seen one.

Does that mean that you've missed all the other wind-ups? :confused: :p

ndrog
04/04/2006, 11:44 PM
Oh you've gone and done it now!
You'll have the drogs all over you, spamming your forum with abuse.
Run for the hills mate... :D

fair point from oneredarmy .Drogs where playing with 9 men in the first match and we played our reserves in the second game.Reckon shels will beat cork on mon .

Peadar
05/04/2006, 9:05 AM
Drogs where playing with 9 men in the first match and we played our reserves in the second game.

In both games, you were losing with 11 men on the pitch and your indicipline is your own problem, not ours. We simply took advantage of it to double our lead.

How could you have been playing your reserves against us when your manager doesn't even know what his first XI are?

Might start collecting your excuses throughout the season and compile a comical report in December.

SeanDrog
05/04/2006, 9:27 AM
honestly think shels will win the semi quite easily. Cork haven't the quality to beat Shels.