PDA

View Full Version : Lauren - Ireland will do enough

Neil
09/06/2002, 10:08 AM
[soccercentral.ie] (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=7273&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes)

Arsenal and Cameroon star Lauren is backing Ireland to do enough to make it to the World Cup knockout phase – and his teammates to elimate Germany on Tuesday.

"I believe we have to beat Germany because I think the Irish team is strong and they fight until the last minute. They will beat Saudi Arabia. I don't think it will be easy for them to beat Saudi Arabia by two goals to nil, but they can do it."

Meahwhile, Saudi Arabia coach Nasser Al Johar is promising a hot time for the Republic in Yokohama. "We will play as well as we did against Cameroon and return home with a memorable result," said Al Johar. "We apologise again wholeheartedly to the Saudi fans after our two defeats and we promise them we will beat Ireland."

Saudi goalkeeper Mohammed Al Deayea reckons his teammates are ready to perform at their best: "The real face of Saudi football was against Cameroon when the players performed as they normally do," said the goalkeeper, who wins his 165th cap on Tuesday.

"The Irish game will not be easy, but we have no choice but to win so we persuade people and especially the Saudi people that we can play at the highest level."