PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 1 - Pats 1

deecay
01/04/2006, 8:45 PM
I wasnt able to go to tonights game through no fault of my own but was tuned into ocean and aertel. at 9.20pm i went to aertel to check the score. 1-0 rovers foy pen 90:D . Was delighted. went to check the table. We were in third place P4 W2 D1 L1 PTS7, only behind Drogheda and cork. Went back to check the other scores and saw 1-1:mad:. So so angry at the time. It seems aertel alter the table before the final results. Checked 5minutes later and we were down in fifth:mad:

The Stars
01/04/2006, 9:00 PM
robbed!!!!
pats arent a great team to say the least.
why sean decided to make a sub in the last minute is beyond me,
especially when we are defending a deep in our own half.
Faz was once again....how should I put this....faz.
foyzer was once again....how should I put this...foyzer. ie.class

the flash looks like a top class player and once agian ran his socks off, so much so he had a new pair for the second half.

deecay
01/04/2006, 9:12 PM
A last gasp equaliser by St Pat’s broke the hearts of Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds tonight just when it looked like the home side were going to take all three. The Bit O’Red came of age tonight and were more than worth the full three points dominating the game for long periods, but the unbeaten Dubliners got the last laugh with the last kick of the game.
Rovers were without the injured Paul McTiernan and suspended Chris Turner, but they put their stamp on the game, in particular in a second half when they looked every bit the Premier Division side, playing with invention and no little skill and defending stoutly from the front.
The first foray into the opposing box for the home side came with a claim for a penalty on eleven minutes when Kudozovic put Foy through but the former Pat’s man penetrating run was ended when he appeared to be brought down in the box by Murphy, but referee, Paul McKeown was having none of it.
Rovers were taking the direct approach and Mansaram and Hughes both threatened the Pat’s goal in the early stages but as the game settled down neither side were in a generous mood and chances were at a premium.
On thirty five minutes, the phoney war ended and backlines were breached when a Keith Foy cross was headed to Gary Curran who rolled it to Flannery, but the Drumcliffe-man could only stab it over the bar. A minute later, it was the visitors who were on the attack when a Quigley effort from outside the box, was on target but O’Hara put it round the post.
The Bit O’Red looked dangerous on the break throughout and as the clock wound down to half time, Mansaram increasingly made himself available, most dangerously when Curran sent a low ball down the middle into the box, forcing Barry Ryan to save at the feet of the target man.
The second half opened brightly for Rovers and Mansaram was on the ball immediately, running onto a Kudozovic ball striking low to force a good save from Ryan. A minute later Mansaram got on the end of a Peers cross to set-up Hughes but Ryan got there first.
The pressure continued on fifty five minutes when good work on the right by Hughes set up a chance for Curran but his effort went over. A minute later it was Rovers down the left hand side this time Kudozovic cutting in to fire a stinging shot that Ryan was equal to.
St Pat’s backs were against the wall for the first thirty minutes of the second half as the home side sought to take advantage of their possession. Most the ball was coming down the right but Rovers were far from one-dimensional with O’Grady and Curran marshalling the centre field, Kudozovic breaking on the left and Mansaram and Flannery working tirelessly up front. It was the former who went off injured on seventy must but Matt Judge continued where he left off.
Inevitably the visitors came into it more in the final ten minutes and should have taken the lead when Rovers failed to clear a Reilly free and Vinny Perth scooped it over the bar from inside the six yard box.
The Bit O’Red were sprung into action once more and in the eighty ninth minute it looked like the game was won. A Foy cross into the box towards Adam Hughes ended with Hughes on the ground and the referee looking to his assistant to see hwat happened. No need for video replays, as Ciaran Delany signalled a penalty which Foy happily stepped up to slot to Ryans left.
The celebrations were short-lived as Pat’s countered immediately piling the pressure on the home side. And with the last kick of the game, the pressure told when a skewed clearance gave the visitors a corner that was scrambled into the net by Perth. Rough justice for Rovers, as they were left to rue their failure to capitalise on their second half dominance.

Sligo Rovers
John O’Hara, Gavin Peers, Keith Foy, Michael McNamara, Liam Burns, Conor O’Grady, Adam Hughes, Fahrudin Kudozovic, Sean Flannery (Jamie McKenzie 90 min), Gary Curran,Darren Mansaram (Matt Judge, 70 min)
Subs not used: Jason McCartney, Richard Brush, Sean Kelly

St Patrick’s Athletic
Barry Ryan, Alan Murphy, Jon Frost, Stephen Brennan, Darragh McGuire, Dave Mulcahy, Sean O’Connor (Anto Flood 82 min), Michael Foley (Vinny Perth 62 min) Mark Quigley, Trevor Molloy (Alan Reilly, HT), Mark Rutherford
Subs not used:Luke Fitzpatrick, Brendan Clarke

www.sligorovers.com

redrov2005
01/04/2006, 9:29 PM
Fro www.fai.ie

http://www.fai.ie/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1143926076&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Sligo and St. Pats swop goals in a late flurry

Sligo Rovers 1, St Patrick’s Athletic 1

Foy 90 Perth 90 + 4

A dramatic equaliser in the fourth minute of injury-time earned St Pat’s a point against Sligo Rovers in the eircom League, Premier Division, at the Showgrounds to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

The game looked to be heading for a nil-all draw after Rovers had missed a number of chances despite dominating proceedings. But in the final minute of ordinary time referee’s assistant Ciaran Delaney awarded Rovers a penalty after referee Paul Tuite had initially waved play on for John Frost’s challenge on man of the match Adam Hughes.

The home side thought they had won it when Keith Foy converted but substitute Vinnie Perth bundled the ball home from close range at the other end in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

The home side welcomed back captain Michael McNamara from injury while Sean Flannery and Gary Curran were drafted in instead of the suspended Chris Turner and the injured Paul McTiernan.

St Pat’s, meanwhile, were without the suspended Paul Keegan, while striker Chris Armstrong and captain Colm Foley were also absent.

Trevor Molloy and Mark Rutherford, both of whom scored in Pat’s last outing against Shelbourne, created the game’s first chance but Molloy miscued his attempted volley on Rutherford’s knock down.

Rovers took control of matters after this early scare and Darren Mansaram had a shot from the edge of the box parried, while Foy had a penalty appeal waved away.

Molloy didn’t reappear in the second-half and Rovers started sharply with Mansaram testing Ryan again inside the opening minute. Rovers continued to dominate and Curran, Kudozovic and Flannery all had sights of goal before the hour-mark.

Adam Hughes, Gavin Peers and Mansaram put plenty of decent crosses into the box but Rovers failed to capitalise and the introduction of Perth served to settle the visitors a little.

Rovers lost Mansaram to injury with 20 minutes left and Pat’s created the best chance of the half when John O’Hara could only parry Alan Reilly’s free and Perth somehow scooped the ball over the bar from just three yards out.

Perth didn’t make the same mistake again however, and he got the vital touch on Mark Quigley’s corner to cancel out Foy’s strike.

Sligo Rovers: John O’Hara, Gavin Peers, Michael McNamara (c), Liam Burns, Keith Foy, Adam Hughes, Conor O’Grady, Gary Curran, Fahrudin Kudozovic, Sean Flannery (Jamie McKenzie 93), Darren Mansaram (Matthew Judge 71).

Subs not used: Jason McCartney, Richard Brush, Sean Kelly.

St Pat’s: Barry Ryan, Anthony Murphy, Stephen Brennan, Darragh McGuire, John Frost, Mark Rutherford, David Mulcahy, Michael Foley (Vinny Perth 62), Sean O’Connor (Anthony Flood 82), Mark Quigley, Trevor Molloy (Alan Reilly 45).

Subs not used: Luke Fitzpatrick, Brendan Clarke.

Referee: Mr. P. Tuite (Dublin).

sligoman
01/04/2006, 10:43 PM
St. Pat's were useless tonight. Really bad, don't know how they're still undefeated tbh. Foy and Mansaram were once again great. Flannery had a poor enough game(I know ye'll think I'd say that anyway but, in truth, he did). Judge looked handy enough the little time he was on, I'd like to see him and Mansaram(if not injured) up front against CHF next week. Before the game, I'd have been happy with a point but after that performance, we were robbed. It was sickening conceding that late in the game, although, the way we've been having defensive bloopers lately, I was expecting it. Expected more Pat's fans there but they were a nice bunch anyway. If Pat's played like that every game, they'd be near relegation imo. Worst performance from an opposition team I've seen so far this season. Disappointed that the players didn't applaud the fans after the game tonight, their was a good atmosphere and I think it deserved recognition(I know they were obviously shocked with the late goal, but still, they should have stayed on).

I hope we play like that every week. Gary Curran deserves a mention too, didn't really miss Turner because Curran was so good. It's good that we have him as back up if and when he's needed.

After that performance, I'm really looking forward to the Dublin City game next week. Expecting us to take all three there.

Heard Brian Kerr was at the game tonight, anyone see him?:confused:.

avvenalaf
01/04/2006, 10:53 PM
Well, Pats were a hell of a lot better than Longford the other night and, I'm glad to say, so were Rovers. Second half performance was extremely heartening and ball retention was very good. Still no sign of regular goals but Mansaram looks like he could be the biggest hit in the Showgrounds since Michael Beag. If Sean has got a winger from Birmingham, he'd better stick him in fast in place of Faz who is a luxery no team can afford. Faz just won't deliver the ball inside without fannying about with it and it must be very frustrating to play up front with him on the wing.
I think it's worth noting that against Bohs and Longford, we almost conceded in the last seconds and tonight we left two points behind in the last seconds. Great pity with Dublin and Waterford up in the next games.

sligoman
01/04/2006, 11:15 PM
Nice pitch invasion at the end apparentlyWouldn't call it a pitch invasion tbh, more like a couple of yer fans ran to the players when they scored;).

Red4Eva
02/04/2006, 12:41 AM
best performance so far but still more to come i think. pat's were no better than most of 1st div teams from last year&didn't deserve anythin from the game. vastly improved performances from o'grady&faz. back 5 great again, foy in particular. didn't create enough chances so we got punished in the end but i think over next two games we'll create more&hopefully finish em. one thing i hope sean will pick up on is the amount of balls peers put in but no1 was attacking the front post and they were cleared easily. ur right bout flannery sligoman he wasn't good enough 2nite. most of the players did applaud the crowd tho only a cupla of em who went down the tunnel 1st didn't. bring on dublin city&sh*t waterford

extra gutted when pat's scored cos i had €1 on rovers to win 1-0&foyzer to score 1st at 100/1

sligoman
02/04/2006, 12:57 AM
one thing i hope sean will pick up on is the amount of balls peers put in but no1 was attacking the front post and they were cleared easily. ur right bout flannery sligoman he wasn't good enough 2nite.Yeah, I noticed when Curran crossed the ball in the second half, it was a perfect ball into the box and the front two(Flannery and Mansaram) stood off the Pat's defenders and gave them loads of time and space to clear it, which they accepted, obviously. We should be putting a lot more pressure on them and try and force them to make mistakes.

In fairness to Flannery, I seen him walking through town after the game tonight and he looked really p!ssed off. His head looking towards the ground as if he was ashamed. I think he knows he didn't do well and I hope he'll try and improve on it, if he's playing against CHF.

HomeBrewPlease
02/04/2006, 1:12 AM
Extremely disappointed to only get a point tonight, especially letting in a goal from the corner at the last stroke. However, i do tink we look very dodgy on corners. We were a lot gigger than them but we never looked comfortable any time a corner came in so it didnt really surprise me.

But the second half display from the lads tonight was very heartening. They moved it about well, some nice touches and passing and set up a few chances but we just couldnt finish them off and tbh that is where our biggest problem lies is in finishing it off. We never really looked like we were gonna bury it in the Pats net no matter how long the game went on or how much we controlled it at times.

Foy was excellent. So was Peers, Hughes. Manserem wasnt bad at all but Sean F was out of his depth. I really like the guy but I dont think he is up to it - at least not from what I have seen of him so far thi syear. Hopefuly that will change.

Anyway, disappointed - but heartened that if we can build on the second half display and learn to find the net, we can get some results this year.

Trainee
02/04/2006, 3:23 AM
A good result at home for ye it could be a decent mid table finish for ye yet
4 Points from 2 home games against the dubs is a good return best of luck for the rest of the league

all going well we will meet in League cup 2nd round
Come on GUFC

ali2005
02/04/2006, 9:20 AM
Very disapointed that we only got a point:mad: We should have been able to hold on to the end

Red&White Rover
02/04/2006, 9:58 AM
two things to say: Never sub at a corner and i hate Barry Ryan...should have been 3 points last night

Bravo
02/04/2006, 10:03 AM
Kerr was in Mooneys after the game & taught Pats should have won, imo The FAI are vindicated, I can see now why he is on the Dole! Great performance Flannery isn’t up to it, taught Curren played very well, for all the possession we had we created feck all chances, need more fire power! With these two from Birmingham & Steve’s return from the states things mightn’t be as bad as we feared this time last week.

The Stars
02/04/2006, 10:17 AM
agree rogue,he even seems to be lossing weight which can only be good.
delighted he scored aswell.Also,see what Sean said about him in his programme notes?

De Town
02/04/2006, 10:39 AM
After that performance, I'm really looking forward to the Dublin City game next week. Expecting us to take all three there.
Wouldn't be so sure. IMO, they looked a better team than ye. At least they tried to pass it round a bit. And before you say it, I know LTFC are just as bad ATM.

sligoman
02/04/2006, 11:44 AM
Wouldn't be so sure. IMO, they looked a better team than ye. At least they tried to pass it round a bit. And before you say it, I know LTFC are just as bad ATM.We were desperate against ye, I know that(so were ye in fairness). I don't think anyone can say we are a hoofball team. No matter who we're playing, we still play it on the ground and try and pass it about. I wouldn't judge either team(us or ye) by that performance last Monday cos both teams were capable of much more and the rain ruined our style of play, ye were still able to hoof though;).

Dublin City are a hoofball team and when they score they put 11 men behind the ball to hold their lead, unless they've changed since last season(which I seriously doubt). We didn't beat them at all last season(even though we were the better team) so they deserve a defeat on Friday, and provided we play like we did last night, they'll get it!:)

The Stars
02/04/2006, 12:12 PM
thats fighten talks from sligoman,but hes dead right

Rory H
02/04/2006, 12:13 PM
he's got me all excited now

sligoman
02/04/2006, 12:16 PM
thats fighten talks from sligoman,but hes dead right:D. I'm fed up of losing to them. We are well capable of(and should get) 6 points from our next two games!

feo123
02/04/2006, 12:23 PM
havnt felt as sick after a match in a good while! shud never have given away the corner in da 1st place! good performance overall though! 3 points next week anyway id say

roversforever
02/04/2006, 12:32 PM
Faz was once again....how should I put this....faz.
will ye all please lay off faz. some of ye have very short memories. he was one of our best players last season. for most of the season he was fantastic. now he puts in a few bad performances and you all decide to criticise him. the pitches at the moment are sh!t, which makes it difficult for skillful players like faz who want to get the ball down and run at people.and for what its worth i thought he was much better last night. once the summer comes we will see the real faz and he will be one of our most important players.

Red&White Rover
02/04/2006, 12:40 PM
no.1: we played first division football last year, we now play premier division there is a difference!
no.2: faz played well for about half of last season(2/3's at most)and was sh*te for the rest, so you cant say that he has only played bad a couple of games

roversforever
02/04/2006, 1:37 PM
no.1: we played first division football last year, we now play premier division there is a difference!
no.2: faz played well for about half of last season(2/3's at most)and was sh*te for the rest, so you cant say that he has only played bad a couple of games
he was brilliant for most of last season. he only had a few bad games near the end of the season.and your first point doesn't stand up either because arguably his best game for us was against a premier division side i.e. st pats in the cup. as i said already i thought he was quite good last night.mark my words when the pitches improve we will see the real faz and then certain fickle fans will be saying how great he is and this blip will be forgotten about. and do you think the crowd getting on his back is going to help him?get behind him instead of criticising him and we could have one of the best players in the league on our hands.

gustavo
02/04/2006, 2:16 PM
Faz tried hard but things just didnt come off for him.thought we done well enough , creating chances seems to be a problem.foy done well didnt think flannery played well at all, mckenzie was unlucky all in all we are doing just as well as can be expected at the moment.

Donegalred
02/04/2006, 2:23 PM
How'd gary play last nite?

roversforever
02/04/2006, 3:17 PM
just heard that the injury to flash is not looking good. he's going for scans today,could be out for a while.

Rovers1
02/04/2006, 3:49 PM
why is darren called 'the flash'

faz had a slightly better game tahn monday night,still looks as if he hasnt been training too much. Flannery had an awful game,never goes for the second ball,takes it down and doesnt know what to do with it,he'll struggle in this league imo

Red4Eva
02/04/2006, 5:15 PM
very surprised ppl are still layin into faz cos i thought he was very good last nite although there was still a cupla incidents where he should have shown more aggression and any1 who says he wasn't very good last yr is talkin a loada ring. after the cork game he seemed to have lost a lot of confidence and wasn't great for the run-in but prior to that he was consistently very good. heard connor's post match earlier. he said that he thought every1 was very good and all the players were gutted in the dressing room. he accepted responsibility for makin the sub&costing us the points. he said that before the game he encouraged the players to show the fans that they are a unit and if any1 isn't havin a great game try to dig them out. maybe certain fans should follow this example and encourage our players rather than abusing them if they are having a bad game

Red&White Rover
02/04/2006, 5:23 PM
i didnt think faz played well last night and so did a lot of other people but he wasnt abused. Definetly. the one thing that really bugs me bout faz is the fact that he just wont challenge for any ball be it in the air or 50/50. that annoys me

Saint Tom
02/04/2006, 9:16 PM
felt that we were well worth a point lads and the peno was another typical eL incompetent refereeing decision. The ref couldnt have been more than five yards away and yet he had to consult his linesman. Practically gifting the home side three points.

Good crowd at the game, great town for a trip and the premier division is a lot better off with clubs like Sligo in it.

Didnt think our crowd was too bad at all tbh, at least two or three hundred?

Danny
03/04/2006, 8:34 AM
gotta disagree Tom, definite peno, frost has been doing it ever since he signed for us and hadnt been caught up until saturday. Didnt think we deserved to lose, even tho it was our worst performance of the season. Probbaly down to the pitch being really bad and missing keegan up front and molloy in the 2nd half.

Great w/e tho, sligo/waterford the best 2 away trips for defo.

Rory H
03/04/2006, 9:32 AM

ha ha ha ha:D

85 tops

The Stars
03/04/2006, 9:33 AM
there were at most 100 pats fans in the blue stand cos about 80 were singing so im sure some werent.
300???

Red Soldier
03/04/2006, 12:57 PM
Anyone hazard a guess at the total attendance???Any improvement from the Bohs game???

betty swollox
03/04/2006, 1:21 PM
was over near the pats fans at one stage and alogether i'd say there was around 200. 80 is well short of the mark unless your only counting those who ran onto the pitch:)

Redzer
03/04/2006, 2:30 PM
Anyone hazard a guess at the total attendance???Any improvement from the Bohs game???
Definitely less than the Bohs game :mad:
Prob about 1800.

Guts&Glory
04/04/2006, 1:07 PM
gotta disagree Tom, definite peno, frost has been doing it ever since he signed for us and hadnt been caught up until saturday. Didnt think we deserved to lose, even tho it was our worst performance of the season. Probbaly down to the pitch being really bad and missing keegan up front and molloy in the 2nd half.

Great w/e tho, sligo/waterford the best 2 away trips for defo.

Good to hear Sligo is a good weekend away, come back anytime lads ye were all decent blokes with good banter.

Agree re peno Danny, Frost had the jersey up around our lads neck (not quite but u know what I mean). The ref was looking at the cross coming in while Frost was ripping jersey on the other side, thats what the linesman is there for good officialdom on his part.

Although conceding with the last kick of the game a draw was probably a fair result overall.
(...still feels like we lost though due to last kick goal)