PDA

View Full Version : The Premiership- Is the title race really over?

DmanDmythDledge
01/04/2006, 5:12 PM
Man Utd again closed the gap on Chelsea to just 7 points now. Man Utd have been playing great as of late, while Chelsea have only been playing all right. I still think that United will catch Chelsea. I think Chelsea will lose their last 2 games to Man Utd and Newcastle. What's everyone's opinion?

TheJamaicanP.M.
01/04/2006, 5:27 PM
I can't see it happening.

beautifulrock
01/04/2006, 7:20 PM
doubt it, too much too make up at this late stage. However do expect Chelsea to lose to Liverpool in the Fa semi and to stutter over the line. Jose said he would have the league in the bag by next week sometime ago. Think he will have to go back to the calender

Rebal Boy
01/04/2006, 8:50 PM
United for the League. Chelsea are going to do what Newcastle did in 95/96 season. Leading by 12 or so points with about 10 games to go and hand United the title. History will repeat itself. Chelsea still have to play United and Liverpool yet.

beautifulrock
01/04/2006, 11:31 PM
They have played Liverpool twice already in the league and won both games. They still have to play Man u alright.

mypost
02/04/2006, 12:25 AM
I think that United will catch Chelsea.

:D :D :D

Funny how that was posted on April Fool's Day. There is less than zero chance of Chelsea throwing the league.

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2006, 11:45 AM
It's no joke. Just look at the run-in:
CHELSEA
West Ham(h)
Bolton (a)
Everton (h)
Man Utd (h)
Blackburn (a)
Newcastle (a)

MAN UTD
Arsenal (h)
Sunderland (h)
Tottenham (a)
Middlesbrough (h)
Chelsea (a)
Charlton (h)

United's is far easier with only three tricky games, but I can see them continue their winning run, while all of Chelsea's games are potential banana skins.

klein4
02/04/2006, 1:42 PM
tbh I dont even think utd at home will be a potential banana skin for chelsea at this stage....(unfortunately:mad: .) utd have been doin alrite but havent really been playin any decent teams.

dfx-
02/04/2006, 6:24 PM
while all of Chelsea's games are potential banana skins.

Undoubtedly.....but only for anyone except Chelsea. The league is over, dead, finit, gone, kaputt etc etc.

jebus
02/04/2006, 7:14 PM
How I see it is

CHELSEA
West Ham(h) Chelsea Win
Bolton (a) Draw
Everton (h) Chelsea Win
Man Utd (h) Chelsea Win
Blackburn (a) Draw
Newcastle (a) Chelsea Win

MAN UTD
Arsenal (h) Draw
Sunderland (h) Utd Win
Tottenham (a) Utd Win
Middlesbrough (h) Draw
Chelsea (a) Loss
Charlton (h) Utd Win

So I'd take Chelsea to not only win the league, but to win it by 10 points

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2006, 8:33 PM
How I see it is

CHELSEA
West Ham(h) Chelsea Win
Bolton (a) Draw
Everton (h) Chelsea Win
Man Utd (h) Chelsea Win
Blackburn (a) Draw
Newcastle (a) Chelsea Win

MAN UTD
Arsenal (h) Draw
Sunderland (h) Utd Win
Tottenham (a) Utd Win
Middlesbrough (h) Draw:confused:
Chelsea (a) Loss
Charlton (h) Utd Win

So I'd take Chelsea to not only win the league, but to win it by 10 points
How can you possibly say Boro will get a draw at Old Trafford? Maybe Arsenal can get a draw though. Chelsea have been crap lately- they don't seem to be handling the pressure too well. It will intensify in the coming weeks. United have been here before, they know they have to win every game.

renovater
02/04/2006, 9:29 PM
With 6 games to go there is no chance of Man U catching up with Chelsea.
The Gunners will see to that and Chelsea will beat west ham there mind is on FA Cup
JOSIE WILL HAVE SUMMER BARGINS FOR THE CLUBS WHO CAN'T AFFORD QUALLITY.
Chelsea are already planning for the mantle for the Premier cup and then win the FA cup
Look forward and buying better quallity players for next season, its always harder to win the league in the 2nd year but its get's easyier the 3rd because most teams will lie down. won't have the balls next time round

hamish
02/04/2006, 10:10 PM
Is it just me or do you folks find Chelsea very boring??? I'm no Arsenal fan either but their games against Madrid and Juve were great to watch while Chelsea put me in a coma.
Ah, then what would I know.:)

NeilMcD
03/04/2006, 11:17 AM
I think it would be fantast if Utd made a right go of it until the end. its fantastic that we are still chatting about it again. Chelsea will win their home games as I think Utd will do. If Utd are still 7 points behind or less after next weekend they have a great chance. If they drop points to Arsenal its over. If its still 7 going into the Easter break that will be a huge weekend as chelsea have to go to Bolton and Man Utd to spurs. Chelseas last 2 games are 2 away games to Blackburn and Newcastle, never easy games really.
Basically Utd must win at Chelsea and hope that Chelsea have dropped points beforehad. If that happens the title race will go to the last weekend.

Metrostars
03/04/2006, 2:34 PM
Alan Shearer will win the Premiership for United with the last kick of the season and his career.

Roo69
03/04/2006, 2:52 PM
Oh imagine how sick he'd be !

renovater
06/04/2006, 9:00 PM
Chelsea need to only win 3 of there remaining games Man U need to win every game and beat Chelsea away'
Sorry lads it to much to ask, this is a Bridge to far :)

DmanDmythDledge
06/04/2006, 10:24 PM
Chelsea need 4 wins, not 3.

NeilMcD
07/04/2006, 11:16 AM
They need 3 home wins as one of the games is against Utd if they win both their home games and then beat Utd the title. is over.

renovater
07/04/2006, 6:27 PM
the only concern Jossie has is the swan dieing in Scotland which he seem to fear more than Man U winning the tiltle.
Once again he has out wit everybody and taken the presurer away from his team.
We are more concerned with his comments about Bird flu rather than his abilty to retain the title

Clifford
09/04/2006, 6:33 PM
Chels impressvie for 80 mins after shocking start. United in full flow, both teams seem egged on by each other. What was Wegner's reason's for not playing Henry I wonder?

renovater
09/04/2006, 9:58 PM
Huh? 'Spellchecker' anyone..........:eek:
I for one dont find your view funny just leave it

Karlos
10/04/2006, 2:26 AM
What was Wegner's reason's for not playing Henry I wonder?

He felt he hadn't recovered from playing two full games as lone striker and went for fresh legs in Adebayor and Van Persie who hadn't played mid week. Was surprised with the call but it wasn't the reason for the result. Both forwards looked very lively early on as did the team. Collectively the whole team's level dropped later on in the game I felt.

Roo69
10/04/2006, 1:30 PM
He felt he hadn't recovered from playing two full games as lone striker and went for fresh legs in Adebayor and Van Persie who hadn't played mid week. Was surprised with the call but it wasn't the reason for the result. Both forwards looked very lively early on as did the team. Collectively the whole team's level dropped later on in the game I felt.

Or United just seteled after Arsenal's excellent start, after 20/25 minutes United were always on top. Rooney was imense. Very impressed with Vidic.

Lehman has really turned his Arsenal career around, there best player this season and pulled off a couple of fine saves yesterday.

NeilMcD
10/04/2006, 2:10 PM
I think the title race is still alive as next weekend Chelsea go to Bolton who have only lost once at home and that was to Utd. Chelsea could quite easily drop points there and Utd should win at Sunderland. That would mean the game would be down to 4or 5 points with Chelsea still to play Utd at Standford Bridge. Its not over yet but still think Chelsea will win it as Utd may drop points to Spurs.

DmanDmythDledge
14/04/2006, 1:05 PM
Pressure will really be on Chelsea this weekend as Man Utd almost guaranteed win vs Sunderland which will cut lead to 4 points. Bolton is a very tough away game, especially towards the end of the season which Arsenal found out a few years ago.

Karlos
14/04/2006, 9:10 PM
Pressure will really be on Chelsea this weekend as Man Utd almost guaranteed win vs Sunderland which will cut lead to 4 points.

almost being the key word there, eh? :D

hamish
15/04/2006, 8:08 AM
There were over 72,000 in Old Trafford for the Sunderland game - isn't that a Premiership record?? Still saw a few empty seats at one corner which appeared to be a closed off area.:confused:

feo123
15/04/2006, 11:30 AM
ya....another new record! as for the title....if chelski win today, they can seal the premiership as early as monday against everton! ragin!!!!

sligoman
15/04/2006, 11:34 AM
Two points dropped. Title=Chelsea's:(.

DmanDmythDledge
15/04/2006, 1:14 PM
Officially over.

sligoman
15/04/2006, 1:37 PM
Chelsea won 2-0 today so yeah, that's it!
Officially over.No, it's not official until it's mathmatically impossible;).

jebus
15/04/2006, 2:13 PM
In fairness did anyone other than the most devout United fans believe that Chelsea wouldn't win the league this year? United were never going to catch them no matter what sort of run they went on. Maybe if United had been able to play Chelsea around the start of April and been able to cheat them out of it, ala Campbell's 'elbow' on Ole Gunnar Soljskaer they might have done it, but thats the only way it would have happened

mypost
16/04/2006, 6:24 AM
Two points dropped. Title=Chelsea's

Olé, Olé, Olé... :p

Think we'll send a few crates of Carlsberg to SB on Monday, to help them celebrate keeping the title away from that Scottish bloke again!! :D

Congrats to Chelsea from Anfield!! :)

mypost
18/04/2006, 2:51 AM
With a 9 point, and 12-goal lead over second place, with only 9 more points available, Chelsea won the league following their win over Merseyside's second team. :p Liverpool also claimed a CL spot following the Week 35 games. Preparations now begin in earnest for next season.

Clifford
30/04/2006, 4:40 PM
Congrats to Chels, long may it continue. Best side by a country mile all told. Not lost at home under Jose in the league, sensational. Very comfortable against their closest "rivals" yesterday.

Hope the rest of us will eventually re group and be up there, but better Chelski's dirty money to win it than manusa's, imho of course.

Hail to the Champions.

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 4:45 PM
One of the poorest Premierships ever ....

Clifford
30/04/2006, 4:57 PM
No more poor, boring or different than the last ten or so where bleedin Arsenal and Man u were so far in front by Easter is wasn't funny (with odd exceptions of course). Great to have new contenders, imho of course.

Edit: Not forgetting of course the superb season Tottenham are having, hope it ends up in 4th for them. Also, admiring from afar the fact that Liverpool are re-building a squad and reduced the gap between themselves and Chels significantly. Add in the achievement of Boro, Wigan, Arse and West Ham in cups and it's been a decent season really, imho of course.

renovater
30/04/2006, 6:04 PM
glad to say its over, and in style Chelsea showed there class over 36 games while crushing Man U 3-0 in style. this was the game that Man U were going to spoil the party all over after 4min.
they now have another new home record 18 win from 19 some fortress.
as for utd they will lick they wounds,but they were graious in defeat.
what about mourinho giving his medals to the suporters he sure underline that he is still the special one.
they even devided his coat as to have apart of him.
god bless Mourinho.:)

Karlos
30/04/2006, 6:39 PM
Congrats to Chelsea on officially overtaking Spurs into 2nd spot in the london championship titles table (I knew there was a shining light in there somewhere!:D ).

Only 10 more to go to challenge top spot! :D :)