PDA

View Full Version : Local Media

Ash
30/03/2006, 8:28 AM
Just posting to say how disgusted I was to listen to a comment line on
(I think) Midlands Radio Gold or Shannonside the other day. I was off work
sick and didnt have the energy to turn the rubbish station over. Its based
in Longford as far as I know, so whatever one that is.

Anyway there was a comment line and a lad rang up to say he hasnt been
to a Longford game in ages and decided to go back for the Sligo game but
he'll never set foot in a League of Ireland ground again because it was so
rubbish, 4-5-1 tactic and all that.

Then, the presenter replied something like, ...but what yould you expect,
theres not enough skill in the league of Ireland to have players play the
ball on the ground and thats why all they can do is play 4-5-1 and hoof
the ball as much as possible ...
then he went on to say something along the lines of, clubs are afraid to let
players play ni the ground cos they'll get snapped up by English clubs.

Surely when Clubs are trying to generate a bit of a fan base and support
the last think they need is people on local radio broadcasting that its all really
a crock of sh!te, and then come across with the condesending attitude
"sure arent they great to keep up the auld interest".

I've heard the presenter in question before and when LTFC are winning cups
etc they're the best team in the world and he's always loved watching them
etc.

Wiseguy
30/03/2006, 9:21 AM
Yeah the girlfriend told me about that alright.It's sickening in this day and age that people come out with statements like that but i find lately that all people can do is complain about our club.They complained when we were bottom of the 1st division and they are still complaining.The funniest thing is that the biggest critics of our club and the league are the one's that never actually go to matches but of course come cup final day they make out as if they have been following the club for years.I strongly believe that everyone should support all forms of local sport no matter what it is.People spend a fortune buying merchandise of english clubs and idolise their players but come international time they despise the english players.It shows you the fools that they are.I didn't agree with Matthews formation the other night and it was a poor performance but you just get over it and look forward to the next game don't go on the radio bitching about it.It just goes to show that the negative attitude towards LTFC and the league in general still exists.All you have to do is pick up the national papers,look at the TV or listen to the radio and see the crap coverage it gets.

Magicme
30/03/2006, 9:21 AM
If its Longford based then its Shannonside which is partnered with our local station Northern Sound. If it was a sports programme it was prob Fintan Duffy but he is a big Longford Town fan. Its not on that there is such negativity about the game out there...its up to us as fans to promote the game with friends and family and try and bring a more positive slant to people's perception of the eL.

JC_GUFC
30/03/2006, 9:28 AM
Imagine he'd been to see De Town in action Ash!!! :eek:

BohDiddley
30/03/2006, 11:22 AM
Anyway there was a comment line and a lad rang up to say he hasnt been
to a Longford game in ages and decided to go back for the Sligo game but
he'll never set foot in a League of Ireland ground again because it was so
rubbish, 4-5-1 tactic and all that.

Then, the presenter replied something like, ...but what yould you expect,
theres not enough skill in the league of Ireland to have players play the
ball on the ground and thats why all they can do is play 4-5-1 and hoof
the ball as much as possible ...
then he went on to say something along the lines of, clubs are afraid to let
players play ni the ground cos they'll get snapped up by English clubs.

Disgraceful, yes.
But also a golden opportunity for Longford, Sligo or both to issue a statement challenging this ignorance.

pineapple stu
30/03/2006, 12:33 PM
Howd, Ash - hope yer better! Don't often have the mobile on me, so never got around to having it on me when I was posting...Sorry 'buot that!

Valid point though. Highlights the ignorance surrounding the league. Obviously some teams play hoof-ball, but that happens in every league. This ignorance is far more of a hurdle towards a decent - even professional - league than small, well-run clubs who happen to have small support levels.

sullanefc
30/03/2006, 1:02 PM
I don't want to have a dig at Longford here because I think they are a decent club with decent fans, but, would you not hold Alan Matthews in some way responsible for a disgruntled fan ringing up the local station to complain about how bored he was. I mean, people have been saying it for some time now (even LTFC fans) that matthews is not the most positive of managers. Is is it time for him to go?? Serious question.

pete
30/03/2006, 2:42 PM
Again not picking on Longford Town but Matthews has ye playing terrible football. Ye used to play passing football & certainly have the players but i think two Cup wins has encouraged Matthews to playing Cup football in the league.

Wiseguy
30/03/2006, 3:21 PM
Again not picking on Longford Town but Matthews has ye playing terrible football. Ye used to play passing football & certainly have the players but i think two Cup wins has encouraged Matthews to playing Cup football in the league.

It is annoying that we play the way we do especially with the players that we have and alot of people don't like Matthews' tactics and style of play. It's one thing going to the cross or Tolka and keeping it tight but when you are at home you should be attacking as much as you can no matter who you are playing and we are well capable of doing this. I know of several people who will never set foot in Flancare again while he is the manager but despite what people may think he has made us a side that are hard to beat, he has been to 4 finals and won 3 and his league positions have been 4th, 6th & 5th as far as i remember and all this on a very small budget. He has achieved at this club even if he has adopted negative tactics in doing it and how do you sack your most successful manager in the history of the club and if you do who do you bring in?

sullanefc
31/03/2006, 11:14 AM
how do you sack your most successful manager in the history of the club and if you do who do you bring in?

Well if you don't win anything this year AND you are still losing revenue because fans are staying away, do you have another option?

As for who you bring in? I'm not sure. Just stay away from Roddy Collins and Pat Dolan. ;)

Macy
31/03/2006, 11:20 AM
If it was a sports programme it was prob Fintan Duffy but he is a big Longford Town fan.
Those in the know should name and shame. There's at least one regular on here that could tell us exactly who it was.

Magicme
31/03/2006, 11:30 AM
Doubt it was Fintan actually. He is a good skin and loves his footie.

Ash
31/03/2006, 12:04 PM
Actually I've just been informed that the presenter is a
chap called Seamus Duke and it was Shannonside Radio

JW.
31/03/2006, 12:11 PM
There are two golden rules in life:
(a) Never make a complete judgment on one example only.
(b) Never listen to anyone on local radio.

ltfc_2004
31/03/2006, 12:22 PM
If its Seamus Duke, He is the News Editor (not sure if he still is the sports editor )and is from Roscommon Town and a big GAA man

Ash
31/03/2006, 12:27 PM
He sounds a lit like a Gah head alright but I've heard him on about Longford
before and how they were great. Usually around Cup final time!

hamish
01/04/2006, 8:47 AM
If its Seamus Duke, He is the News Editor (not sure if he still is the sports editor )and is from Roscommon Town and a big GAA man

But he was also involved with the (long gone) Roscommon town club Southern Wanderers FC in the 70s - so he told me anyway,

CollegeTillIDie
01/04/2006, 8:53 AM

He had to be a bogball fan didn't he ?;)

CollegeTillIDie
01/04/2006, 8:59 AM
Not all local radio is crap.
In North Dublin NEAR FM cover Shelbourne matches live and are generally positive to the EL in general in their coverage.

WLRFM in Waterford has some knowledgeable presenters too anytime I've listened to them including Ray Scott, who some posters might remember did the voice overs for the FAI's Soccer Show on TV some years back. Matt Keane is another presenter who is knowledgeable not only about the Blues and the EL but has a wealth of knowledge on the local junior scene and what EL fans would call Non-LEAGUE football.

CollegeTillIDie
01/04/2006, 9:02 AM
It is annoying that we play the way we do especially with the players that we have and alot of people don't like Matthews' tactics and style of play. It's one thing going to the cross or Tolka and keeping it tight but when you are at home you should be attacking as much as you can no matter who you are playing and we are well capable of doing this. I know of several people who will never set foot in Flancare again while he is the manager but despite what people may think he has made us a side that are hard to beat, he has been to 4 finals and won 3 and his league positions have been 4th, 6th & 5th as far as i remember and all this on a very small budget. He has achieved at this club even if he has adopted negative tactics in doing it and how do you sack your most successful manager in the history of the club and if you do who do you bring in?

I think the main point is defensive football need not be boring all the time. Seeing your time play open attacking football and watching them get creamed by 3 and 4 goals at a time at home can be not very interesting to watch too!
Counter-attacking play can be quite exciting if done in the right way.

Macy
03/04/2006, 7:31 AM
There are two golden rules in life:
There's actually 3 - Hacks will always stick up for hacks.