PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere: The showgrounds versus away games!

Pages : [1] 2

Bravo
29/03/2006, 3:27 PM
In recent years the atmosphere at the majority of home games has been abysmal, with the exception of a couple of games towards the end of last season.
Last week in Derry we had a relatively large support & added to the atmosphere there and in Longford on Monday we lifted the roof with large support.
The shed closed a few seasons ago & it’s never been the same since. Why? Maybe its because the Old Shed heads never returned and are now scattered throughout the Ground (That’s my excuse anyway) or maybe they just don’t go. With respects to the current shed heads, its just not the same. In the first division it was different, we were never upstaged by travelling support (Galway & Dublin City came close) at the Bohs game it was different, A few residents in the Maugheraboy area commented on the atmosphere in the area outside the ground, which in the majority was down to the Bohs fans (Well done to Bohs).

WE NEED THE BUZZ BACK!
I have spoken to some like minded individuals and am getting very positive feed back i.e. The people who contribute to the atmosphere at away games want to see the same thing at the showgrounds and are willing to do something about it. We want to add colour & atmosphere back to Home Games. Return the ground to its glory days of the early/mid 90’s where it was the top ground in the country in terms of atmosphere.
A number of us are meeting in Mooney’s (Harloes) before the Pats game, we are organising Drums/Horns/Flags etc & we will make our way over from there (we will decide on the night where to congregate in the ground).
I am appealing to Young & Old to Join us, Everyone is welcome, Bring what you can & who you can, we are looking for people to ‘Sing their hearts out for the lads’.

I am appealing to everyone who is interested in generating a jovial atmosphere to join us in the ground or preferably meet up before the game.

redrov2005
29/03/2006, 4:10 PM
Brilliant stuff! Fair play to ye!

feo123
29/03/2006, 4:27 PM
this is badly needed! the shed is startin ta become borin thses days!

1 9 2 8
29/03/2006, 5:56 PM
How many of ye Bravo? and what stand will ye be in.

Fivesilver
29/03/2006, 6:32 PM
Fantastic. Wish I was in Sligo.
Stick with it. You'll get a few cynics who'll say cheering should be 100% spontaneous and not organised. Sod 'em.
No. 1 priority - shedloads of noise, drums, bugles, voices . . . anything as long as it makes a hell of a racket.
Then colours, lots of them.
On a related note, bear in mind that there are a few away grounds that are ar*eholes about away fans bringing large flags or banners. There's not much point in getting into arguments on the spot - you can't win. I'd suggest this is the kind of thing an organised effort would go a long way toward sorting out. Contacting clubs in advance would be no harm, finding out their policies and trying to negotiate a bit.

UPDATE: I might (just might) be able to get hold of 5 or 6 bugles/bugle-type thingies for a fiver apiece. I'd be willing to pay for them myself if I was sure they'd be used to raise the roof. The catch is that I haven't had a chance to blow them yet, so I don't know if they'll make even a squeak, but I will in the next few days. The next thing then is getting them to Sligo and into the hands of a few Showgies regulars, but we'd figure that out.

CavanBohs
29/03/2006, 8:16 PM
Fantastic. Wish I was in Sligo.
On a related note, bear in mind that there are a few away grounds that are ar*eholes about away fans bringing large flags or banners. Now who would do that be, not Sligo anyway.:rolleyes:

You'se could get till rolls, there great for atmosphere,:p but just don't throw them onto the pitch.:rolleyes:

Fivesilver
29/03/2006, 8:27 PM
Yes, believe it or not, I've seen the thread about the till rolls - must really spoil your night not to be allowed to fling things onto the pitch. :rolleyes:

red arrow
29/03/2006, 9:15 PM
this is a great idea the sound comming from the shed at bohs game was abysmal. when i used to go there it was magic (butnow i bring kids to match so i must be in stand).get it organised get everything that can make noise, know the songs you want to sing( i have yet to hear any singing of either managers name or players) its about time that yee started to sing a few of the new lads names (or them all eg mansaram mansaram mansaram make these boys fell welcome ) you dont have to wait for a goal. there is nothing greater thats spurs on a player on the pitch than when he hears his name being chanted. do it on sat night. iremember the great shed heads of days goneby kerrigan, headser connolly, donnie kearins , paddy houze, mark feeney, jimmy feeney, john harte, michael clancy, etc etc etc and many more these lads new how to make noise and were not abusive they loved there team. i am looking forward to hearing you all on sat night. if yee got togeather some evening (not just sat night) and picked a few songs that everybody new it would spred like wild fire. forget about the songs sung in the premiership (well maybe not all of them) look for some of the songs that were sung back in 94 or before that they were magical ( one comes to mind "i was born in the showgrounds etc) great songs without bad language. if we could get it right we could bring back the great days . good luck!

Bravo
30/03/2006, 7:18 AM
[QUOTE=red arrow]this is a great idea the sound comming from the shed at bohs game was abysmal. i am looking forward to hearing you all on sat night.

Bring the kids & join us the more the merrier. They can play the Drum or blow a bugle.

Anyone any Ideas for songs? PM them to me.

We all have to take responsibility for the lack of atmosphere if we do nothing about it!

BRING BACK THE BUZZ!!!

roversforever
30/03/2006, 8:25 AM
iremember the great shed heads of days goneby kerrigan, headser connolly, donnie kearins , paddy houze, mark feeney, jimmy feeney, john harte, michael clancy, etc etc etc and many more these lads new how to make noise and were not abusive they loved there team.
ah come on now michael self praise is no praise!!!:p

Rory H
30/03/2006, 11:02 AM
BBT and "gorman is god" should be making their showgrounds debuts very soon

feo123
30/03/2006, 3:45 PM
one a the the lads on the bus came up with this song on the bus to derry!....its class!!
i love you,
you love me,
we're a happy family,
with a great big hug
and a kiss from me to you,
won't you say you love me too......
THE ROVERS....THE ROVERS etc
classic!!!!

gustavo
30/03/2006, 4:19 PM
if it was christmas ye could do the old classic "away in a manger no crib for a bed the little lord jesus jumped up and said "the rovers""

red arrow
30/03/2006, 7:44 PM
i have to congratulate you roversforever you got it in one and to the stars i dont know how to answer private messages but im still trying to figure out whose your dad . does he still follow rovers? sorry for going public but its ony a bit of craic. you see im not a computer geek but a rovers freek. im sure roversforever would enjoy that. anyway roll on sat night make plenty of noise good luck

feo123
30/03/2006, 7:57 PM
post here b4 the match nd i'll go over to ye! will me cuzin mattie V be there in his superman suit?

Bravo
31/03/2006, 7:35 AM
post here b4 the match nd i'll go over to ye! will me cuzin mattie V be there in his superman suit?

It’s a Tarzan outfit this week!!!

We have informed the club & afaik it’s no Problem. We are meeting in Mooneys beforehand (Ideal to get started their) & we will hope to congregate in the near end of ‘The Jinksy’ (Jinks Ave Stand) it is important to be there earlish (7.20), any unusual items may need to be left at ground before hand (it makes sense, as nobody wants to be held up and miss the start of the game). I wont be posting tomorrow evening so PM me today if ya want any other details.

Anyone that’s not interested in going to Mooneys wait out side the shop & ya will meet us going over at about 7.15.

May the Team with the loudest support win!

C’MON the Bit ‘O’ Red……………………. :ball: :ball: :ball:

feo123
31/03/2006, 5:08 PM
can we not jus go to ye wen wer in da ground?! instead of meetin up b4 it?

1 9 2 8
31/03/2006, 6:51 PM
one a the the lads on the bus came up with this song on the bus to derry!....its class!!
i love you,
you love me,
we're a happy family,
with a great big hug
and a kiss from me to you,
won't you say you love me too......
THE ROVERS....THE ROVERS etc
classic!!!!
Sorry but that has got to be the worst song I've ever heard at a football match. Ever

sligoman
31/03/2006, 8:23 PM
Great idea Bravo. I really hope it takes off cos the atmosphere in the Showgies hasn't been great. It's always better when we're away from home and really it should be the other way around. Good luck with it!:).

feo123
31/03/2006, 9:02 PM
Sorry but that has got to be the worst song I've ever heard at a football match. Ever
ah come on....give it a chance!! lol:D :D

SligoBrewer
31/03/2006, 9:08 PM
better than the stands...sligo, clap clap clap.

reminds me of trips 2 croke park...eugh!

Red&White Rover
31/03/2006, 10:02 PM
yes, but thats why people in the stand dont chant cause if they do people immediately put it down just like you have....you are making fun of OUR OWN supporters for CHEERING FOR US.It Is better than nowt

The Stars
31/03/2006, 10:06 PM
great idea but think that the shed heads will boycot it and do the same thing they do to anyone who trys to sing without them....ie. take the p!ss of them

Bravo
01/04/2006, 8:01 AM
We are not trying to pi55 anyone off, We are doing this to get behind the team 100%, to support Sligo Rovers as best we can i.e. to generate a jovial atmosphere, not a hostile one.

As I said before everyone is welcome wether you meet us beforehand or join us in the ground.

I am again appealing to every one regardless, if you sing when we are winning or for the 90 mins to join us & make up the numbers, the more we have the more we will attract & the better it will be.

gerardchrystal
01/04/2006, 9:22 AM
if sean connor keeps calling the away support w----rs what hope have we.he needs us more than we need him,its all good going on the radio and defending :hes players:all anyone wants this year is all the players to give 100% including(faz)who hes trying to defend.wake up seany and smell the roses.

sligoman
01/04/2006, 11:39 PM
Seemed like a few of ye made it anyway. It's just a shame seeing two singing groups divided in seperate sections though. At least we'll be joined up in Dalymount and competing against "one man and his drum Dublin City" :D.

Bravo
02/04/2006, 9:45 AM
[QUOTE=sligoman]Seemed like a few of ye made it anyway. It's just a shame seeing two singing groups divided in seperate sections though.

For our ‘Maiden voyage’ it was a great sucess15-20 of us in the first half, 30-40 in the second half & when Foy scored the peno the whole stand joined in, The ‘Shed’ came to life in the second half & we complemented each other, the team responded well from the off & put in a great performance. Remember in 94? The atmosphere in the Showgrounds was our 12th man and it was last night too.
The Buzz is back! In all great stadiums the whole ground sings, we are not divided we are expanded. We now need to keep it going. More Horns, more drums, more colour, more people = better atmosphere/better results!

Red&White Rover
02/04/2006, 9:56 AM
i was in the shed, but it was good that neither sides started slagging each other, as thats what ithought would happen....

Bravo
02/04/2006, 10:12 AM
i was in the shed, but it was good that neither sides started slagging each other, as thats what ithought would happen....
Its important that doesn’t happen, encourage everyone not to let it happen, the carry on last week was disgraceful, we are all there for the Bit ‘O’ Red, & we will all be together at away games.

The Stars
02/04/2006, 10:20 AM
id say if ye go there every week more and more people will join ye.
pity no one sings in the main stand but thats the way things are for now.

Conor H
02/04/2006, 10:27 AM
Do yee not all go to the shed.I thought thats where yere "singing" group went?

Conor H
02/04/2006, 10:52 AM
Probably better crack in the blue stand RT no?I mean your right beside the away fans so there'd be good banter and crack id say.

sligoman
02/04/2006, 11:47 AM
Probably better crack in the blue stand RT no?I mean your right beside the away fans so there'd be good banter and crack id say.It would be, but the Shed has the old tradition and a lot of fans wouldn't want to move from there.

I'd prefer the blue stand myself but a lot wouldn't.

Red&White Rover
02/04/2006, 12:04 PM
yeah...TBH i much prefer The Shed...also in the shed its easier to jump round the place, no seats in the way etc.

The Stars
02/04/2006, 12:16 PM
well when the shed is eventually knocked at least the fnas in the blue stand will have made it a singing area adna ll the shed heads can go there till the new shed is built.

1 9 2 8
02/04/2006, 1:01 PM
Well done to the Jinksy boys and Shedheads last night it was great to hear a buzz coming from different parts of the terraces. It will add to making the Showgrounds a more intimidating place for away teams. When both groups were singing the same songs it sounded very good from where I was.

hamish
02/04/2006, 11:17 PM
Sorry if I'm trolling here but every time I've been to the Showgrounds I always found the atmosphere there very good with the Rovers fans singing and making a lotta noise???
Have things changed so much or are ye being too hard on yourselves???:confused:

sligoman
02/04/2006, 11:25 PM
Sorry if I'm trolling here but every time I've been to the Showgrounds I always found the atmosphere there very good with the Rovers fans singing and making a lotta noise???
Have things changed so much or are ye being too hard on yourselves???:confused:Things aint what they used to be Hamish. It was silent a lot the last few seasons. But were slowly getting it back now, it's certainly improving:).

hamish
02/04/2006, 11:28 PM
Things aint what they used to be Hamish. It was silent a lot the last few seasons. But were slowly getting it back now, it's certainly improving:).

Sorry to hear that sligoman - is it because the end (near the dressing rooms) is closed??? That used to be thronged with Rovers fans singing and cheering etc.

sligoman
02/04/2006, 11:35 PM
Sorry to hear that sligoman - is it because the end (near the dressing rooms) is closed??? That used to be thronged with Rovers fans singing and cheering etc.It was closed, but was re-opened mid-way through last season. Without "The shed" the atmosphere was very bad but since it came back, it has improved, and even more this season.

d rovers
03/04/2006, 8:19 AM
fair play to everyone who made such an effort to improve the atmosphere in the showgies on sat night - it was great to hear it. keep up the good work!

feo123
03/04/2006, 6:42 PM
hopefully in the next few weeks we will all unite and bring back the showgrounds roar as sean connor says!! lol

The Stars
03/04/2006, 6:54 PM
hopefully we can all sing as one voice against dublin....would be a fine site,300+ Rovers fans singing,not just the usuall 80 or so who are the only ones singing on the road.

Same again in terms of wearing the colours and bring flags,drums etc...

kkontour
03/04/2006, 7:24 PM
I was sitting beside where the Jinx Ave Singers were, and while I dont normally sing or chant, I found it very hard not to join in. Towards the end I did and will next time aswell.
Well Done Lads

Fivesilver
03/04/2006, 8:16 PM
I was sitting beside where the Jinx Ave Singers were, and while I dont normally sing or chant, I found it very hard not to join in. Towards the end I did and will next time aswell.
Well Done Lads

Good stuff! Don't be shy. :D

Redzer
04/04/2006, 9:39 AM
You'd never know what would come out of this!!!!!
If my memory is correct, thats where Westlife made their debut.:D
Look what happened them:rolleyes:

The Stars
04/04/2006, 4:53 PM
so your suggesting we form a huge boy band,all dress the same(in this case rovers colours) and sing our hearts out.......im in!!!

kkontour
06/04/2006, 8:42 AM
so your suggesting we form a huge boy band,all dress the same(in this case rovers colours) and sing our hearts out.......im in!!!
We could sing "Were flying without wingers"

Magicme
06/04/2006, 9:13 AM
Can I have your autographs??

Ash
06/04/2006, 10:17 AM
Things aint what they used to be Hamish. It was silent a
lot the last few seasons. But were slowly getting it back now, it's certainly
improving:).

There has been little or no athmosphere in The Showgounds for about 3
years or more. Its the same with most Div 1 clubs, ourselves included.
Kind of a sing when your winning. The year of the treble was electric.

After we lost out on promotion you could hear a pin drop in Mels. Since last
season and the formation of Mad As Cootes we've been trying to get the
place going again, but its hard to get people singing, Cootes included, when
things aren't going great on the pitch.

During the Dundalk game (won 2-0) we got a nice bit going in the 2nd half,
but in the League Cup game against Bohs (lost 0-4) we couldn't even muster
up "De Athlone" chant.

Have to say though the last away game of last season we got a nice reception
in Harloes when we put up the Cootes banner in the pub and 7
of us started a bit of a sing. Then everyone joined in when the video being shown
showed Paugie Moran scoring a goal :)