PDA

View Full Version : Weekends double header against Harps

Terry
29/03/2006, 10:10 AM
Tough weekend ahead with us playing Harps twice this weekend in both the league and league cup.

I will be hoping for a double win of coarse, but I believe both matches with be some battles. A league win for both clubs will take first priority as they must keep in contact with Rovers at the top (even at this early stage).

Also, the winners of the league cup will get a place in the setanta cup next year, which is a financial boost for all clubs that take part. Galway United tend to field a weakened team for this competition so it will be interesting to see the line up for monday night.

I see friday nights line up as follows:

Gough
Keady...Clery...Frawley...Keane
Cretaro...Harty...Foley...Reilly
Murphy...Lavine

If cretaro is injured I would replace him with Gavin. Also, there would be a possibility of Moran coming in for Lavine if he was looking as tired as some say against Rovers.

gufct
29/03/2006, 10:38 AM
happy with 3 points on friday and blood some of the fringe players on Monday as we have Dundalk away on Thursday night which is far more important than the L.C..

Dowdy got the nod before Barry on Friday night which obviously means he is no3 striker in lals eyes and both Murph and Eric have to work on their sharpness so i wouldnt single out either at this stage.Looking forward to Ciaran Foleys competive debut on Friday night as I think he is the best signing we have made.

Should be a big crowd up yhe Dyke Road so get there earely and lets see and here section A loud and proud..

corbyeire
29/03/2006, 10:42 AM
if eric is anything like the last day - moran should be on no question

as for the two matches against harps - a home win in the league to get into rovers is much more important than the league cup

the fairweather fans are not going to turn up if we are mid table and this league is so small that two losses and your in mid table!

the crowd at the limerick game was less than expected - we need to get the home support engaged early in the season

Im not saying the league cup is to be undervalued or that the setanta cup is not a lifeline financially - but we are at home for the first game and an advantage should be taken

then up north - who knows

JW.
29/03/2006, 11:35 AM
The League Cup is of no relevance at this stage and as Tommy says, Stephen should use it to give fringe players a chance to stake a claim.
I'd go with much the same team on Friday, but with Foley coming in for one of the two midfield lads. The most positive thing so far has been our defence. If you know your defence is solid, a goal will often suffice.
Hard to know what to make of Harps but it should be a tough enough game. Likely I'll make it down on the train. Not sure about getting back though :)

Patrick Dunne
29/03/2006, 11:51 AM
at the clubs attitude to the League Cup in the recent past. You would swear from listening to some people that we were a massive club, with massive plans, who can't bothered with the small competitions.

We haven't got into a cup final or won a trophy in nine years, an appalling track record. Now that a Setanta Cup place is available, we should go all out to do well in the League Cup, as well as the First Division, and the FAI Cup.

We are a small club who havent won anything in years ! :mad:

gufct
29/03/2006, 11:54 AM
anyone of us involed in 97 would have taken promotion before the League Cup Win as would any 1st Division Team Today.

We have 3 games in 6 days so its obvious which one we rest players for onwards and upwards lads.

corbyeire
29/03/2006, 12:16 PM
HAVE TO AGREE gufct focus on the next game

the old cliche next game most important etc. etc.

JW.
29/03/2006, 1:26 PM
With three games in six days Pa, it's hard to justify playing our best team for the league cup game. It'd be absolutely brilliant to get into the Setanta Cup, but we're long enough in this rotten division and that should take priority over everything else.
In any case, playing some fringe players isn't necessarily a bad idea - they'll be extra hungry and we've a decent enough squad I think.

gufct
29/03/2006, 2:19 PM
You have "Outed" Pa shame on you.Foot.ie will never be the same again!!!!!!!!

Conor H
29/03/2006, 3:09 PM
at the clubs attitude to the League Cup in the recent past. You would swear from listening to some people that we were a massive club, with massive plans, who can't bothered with the small competitions.

We haven't got into a cup final or won a trophy in nine years, an appalling track record. Now that a Setanta Cup place is available, we should go all out to do well in the League Cup, as well as the First Division, and the FAI Cup.

We are a small club who havent won anything in years ! :mad:

Agree with PD.Yes the league is more important and id prefer a league win but the LC is important.We can get into the Setanta Cup!....go on a cup run...cup final etc!!
Were all talkin as if were too good to bother with the LC....ya right:rolleyes:
We have 3 tough matches in the next 8 days.....we go to win all 3....dont mind"resting players".
Come on Utd!

gufct
29/03/2006, 3:43 PM
as we are playing Friday - Monday - Thursday Conor. Any Galway United Player or Fan preferring L.C. success to making next years "Elite League" by finishing in the top two would be totally off his rocker.

Conor H
29/03/2006, 4:35 PM
Yes Guct i know its 3 games in 6 days....i said 3 games in the next 8 days....thats today wednesday to thursday week.8 days.;)
I did say in my post i would prefer a league win
id prefer a league win
.....however i dont agree with us neglecting the LC.We're a 1st Divison club....we should have a go at winning it.I hate seen us not try to win it.When the team has a match i feel we should put out our strongest 11 and go to win it.End of.None of this blooding players....thats what the U-21's are for.
Tough 3 games ahead i predict us winning both league matches but going on past GUFC performances in the LC we'll probably be knocked out in Ballybofey.

JW.
29/03/2006, 6:22 PM
I assumed everyone knew Pa's identity!? I was only guessing myself: who other than RC would have the latest lotto draw details as a signature? :)

Terry
29/03/2006, 8:14 PM
Im with Conor and Pa on this one. Its only the beginning of the season and the lads are suppose to be fitter this year than any other after the preseason training that they were doing, so there is no reason why they cant play the 3 games

Of coarse the league games take priority before anything else, but why roll over in the rest of the competitions? I for one would love to see us make a go of winning some silverware or even just making a serious attempt at it anyway this year as well as success in the league. Its not asking for much? most of the other clubs will be doing it!

Mr A
30/03/2006, 12:25 AM
A preview of the game is now available on www.finnharps.com

hynzy
30/03/2006, 9:47 PM
ya Terry is right, its only the start of the season' I dont think we should be worried bout resting players for the 4, 5, & 6 games of the season.