View Full Version : Heineken Cup - Munster v Leinster

Pages : [1] 2

joeSoap
29/03/2006, 9:05 AM
Munster to beat Perpignan
Leinster to beat Toulouse:eek:
Biarritz to beat Sale
Leicester to beat Bath.

I really think Leinster are going to pull off a major shock...don't know why. just do......

Kingdom
29/03/2006, 9:43 AM
Fancy both the Irish teams myself. Bath and Sale too.

Dodge
29/03/2006, 9:49 AM
Hope you're right Joe. Leinster the proverbial mood team. If they play as well as they can, they'll win. They could also be hammered.

Fancy Munster but it'll be tight and O'Gara will need to kick every point.

londonirish17
29/03/2006, 10:40 AM
Biarritz to beat Sale
Leicester to beat Bath.

I really think Leinster are going to pull off a major shock...don't know why. just do......

Hope you're right for both Irish teams... It will be a hard piece of work though.

chappie
30/03/2006, 9:08 AM
Fancy both the Irish teams myself. Bath and Sale too.

munster should win with a bit to spare hopefully,leinster toulouse should be a cracker very hard to call,cant see bath beating leicster with all their internationals back, as for sale they showed in thomond that physhologically they arent strong enough and basque country is just as intimidating as limerick,and sale havent a hope if robinson and cueto arent fit

Schumi
30/03/2006, 11:10 AM
I'd be surprised if Biarritz, Leicester and Munster don't get through. Toulouse-Leinster will be huge. Toulouse are favourites but I'm hopeful Leinster can do it. A Leinster-Munster semi would be incredible!

pete
30/03/2006, 2:37 PM
I think Toulouse will win by 15 points. Leinster shown in the past when they not in the mood can get trashed. Munster game could be tight with Celtic League game postponed last week could mean players rusty...

Munster are 1/5 & Leinster are 5/2 to win on saturday. Can still get 18/1 on Leinster to win outright...

joeSoap
30/03/2006, 2:41 PM
Can still get 18/1 on Leinster to win outright...Which will vanish to around 3/1 on Saturday should they surprise Toulouse.

beautifulrock
30/03/2006, 3:10 PM
I have leinster at 66/1 and Munster at 33/1 to win outright on PP (did it some time ago after the poor start by both teams), a small wager each way so heres hoping

Dodge
30/03/2006, 3:25 PM
Might back them on betfair and lay off if/when they beat Toulouse. Don't think many outside of Ireland give Leinster even a sneak...

CollegeTillIDie
31/03/2006, 7:10 AM
Biarritz to beat Sale
Leicester to beat Bath.

Two Words.... Michael Cheika :D

tipp man
31/03/2006, 9:37 AM
Munster will scrap a win. Perpignan cannot be underestimated as they have not had too much disruption from the 6 Nations, they only conceded 52 points in the pool stages and they are in great form (good away win last weekend in Bourgoin). Dont expect too many tries. O'Gara to revert to Munster type and play position with the Munster maul doing the business. The scrums are a worry. Expect the first couple to go against our front row.

Leinster will not win at Le Stadium in Toulouse. Was there for a semi-final 3 years ago and its a really tough place to go an win.

Biarraitz will beat Sale and Leicester to win at home.

Munster v Biarriatz final.

DmanDmythDledge
01/04/2006, 5:17 PM
Great result by Leinster- performance was sensational. With more displays like that I can't see them not winning the title. To beat the best team in Europe over the last few years in their home ground was unexpected(by some!) and the lads deserve every bit of praise. Also outstanding game from Contepomi- if only he was Irish....

pete
02/04/2006, 10:14 AM
Good result by Leinster although i didn't see the 2nd half. I see Toulouse came back at the end - was there enought time for them to get a winning score?

Munster game was very poor, dispite having a ticket for the east terrace would say maybe 500 people denied entry due to sh!te stewarding again. All the stewards just have a chat at halftime as opposed to doing any work. Then in last few minutes they are watching the match so no one sees the idiot streaker running on the pitch. No much to talk about the match as was very scrappy & p!ssing rain :(

De Town
02/04/2006, 10:35 AM
Good result by Leinster although i didn't see the 2nd half. I see Toulouse came back at the end - was there enought time for them to get a winning score?
No, Nyanga scored on 76 or something and Jauzion scored and then the final whistle went after the conversion. 2 consolations really.

pete
02/04/2006, 11:29 AM
Munster are due a win over Leinster in a big game.

Biarritz v Munster final so. Anyone going?

CollegeTillIDie
02/04/2006, 12:16 PM
Well done Leinster great performance
Well Done Munster Iffy Performance... but hey they won! :D

Aberdonian Stu
02/04/2006, 5:00 PM
Munster are due a win over Leinster in a big game.

After last year's disgraceful refereeing (sending off that cost us the game) in the admittedly not big Celtic Cup semi I have to disagree.

Soko
02/04/2006, 10:27 PM
I still fancy Munster to stifle Leinster and go through. Tickets are going to be a bitch though.

TheJamaicanP.M.
02/04/2006, 11:56 PM
Any ideas when and where tickets will be on sale?

londonirish17
03/04/2006, 6:18 AM
I still fancy Munster to stifle Leinster and go through. Tickets are going to be a bitch though.

Don't think it's going to be an easy one...

finlma
03/04/2006, 9:56 AM
Any ideas when and where tickets will be on sale?

No tickets will go on general sale - they'll all go through the clubs so unless you are a member of a rugby club or have very good contacts there's not a hope of getting a ticket.

pete
03/04/2006, 10:41 AM
No tickets will go on general sale - they'll all go through the clubs so unless you are a member of a rugby club or have very good contacts there's not a hope of getting a ticket.

Which is the way it should be too.

I'd say decent section of the crowd on saturday were bandwagon people who never been at Munster game before. Its only right that people who volunteer & play with clubs should get first option. However i think the clubs will sell off a lot of their tickets to the corporate market which basically the IRFU supports.

Been to Lansdowne so many times but never suprises me just how much of a dump it really is - more noticable with bigger crowds.

Schumi
03/04/2006, 3:14 PM
Incredible Leinster performance, to score 4 tries away to Toulouse was a fantastic feat. Tickets will be a b!tch for the semi, might have to wait for the final!

Dodge
03/04/2006, 9:36 PM
Probably easier Schumi...

Aberdonian Stu
03/04/2006, 9:48 PM
Well seeing as Schumi and I already have our final tickets it definitely is (oh and before any Munster fans think I'm cocky and jumping the gun I have plans on what to do should ye pull off a shocking upset).

chappie
04/04/2006, 4:52 PM
[QUOTE=pete]Which is the way it should be too.

I'd say decent section of the crowd on saturday were bandwagon people who never been at Munster game before. Its only right that people who volunteer & play with clubs should get first option.

most definately agree met at least 15 people i know that had never been to a munster match before and probably wouldnt botherin their arses to cross the road to see them if it was a celtic league match....the problem is that rugby is becoming too fashionable...with that tosser drico on every kiss my hole newspaper and magazine...plenty of people at the match for the day out in the big smoke and not the rugger

hopefully only the real fans will get tickets for the semis..

Soper
04/04/2006, 8:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Munster on Friday night, should be a good physical slog of a match.

Rebal Boy
04/04/2006, 9:44 PM
I can't wait for the Munster vs Leinster match. I'd love to get my hands on tickets, but I have no hope unless I win them in a competition. I'm not a member of any club, but I'll hv to just hope for the best.

Forever Dreamin
04/04/2006, 9:45 PM
wouldnt it be great if our domestic soccer was organised like the rugby, 4 professional teams, with 2 in the semis of the champions league!!!! While from leinster i wont be too disappointed if munster win because they deserve to win the cup after going so close in the past. shame it wasn't an all irish final!

Superhoops
05/04/2006, 12:15 AM
wouldnt it be great if our domestic soccer was organised like the rugby, 4 professional teams, with 2 in the semis of the champions league!!!! While from leinster i wont be too disappointed if munster win because they deserve to win the cup after going so close in the past. shame it wasn't an all irish final!
Are you sure you are from Leinster? As a Leinsterman I would be gutted if we get beaten by Munster.

F**k the sympathy vote! We can give them that when they play someone else. When they play us, the only thing Munster deserve is a good hiding. Can you imagine the bragging of those Cork wh*res if they beat us. FFS, provincial pride is at stake. Get a grip man!!:D :D

finlma
05/04/2006, 9:45 AM
I'm from Leinster but I'll be cheering for Munster. I don't feel any affinity for Leinster, which is basically just a Dublin team. I've supported Munster for years and a guy I played rugby with in Kilkenny is on the team.

Over the post
05/04/2006, 11:09 AM
shame it wasn't an all irish final!

I'll second that; I've a tenner on Munster to win the competition at 40/1 and a fiver each way on Leinster at 80/1 so an all Irish final would have suited me down to the ground.

Speranza
05/04/2006, 4:59 PM
If the QF are to be used to judge the teams then it will be finesse vs grit and muscle. Hope Leinster do Munster over as this "Munster by the grace of God" tripe is laughable, arrogant and gets my blood boiling. C'mon Leinster!

Over the post
05/04/2006, 5:21 PM
If the QF are to be used to judge the teams then it will be finesse vs grit and muscle. Hope Leinster do Munster over as this "Munster by the grace of God" tripe is laughable, arrogant and gets my blood boiling. C'mon Leinster!

I understand what you're saying, it must be tough not being a munsterman :D

I think if you look a little further back that the quarter finals you'll find that Munster have been expanding their game involving the backs more (although the loss of Barry Murphy has been a setback in this regard) while Leinster have managed to forge their pack into a more effective unit.

Any successful team is going to need a balance of finesse and muscle, and depending on the opposition and the conditions will employ a larger dose of one or another.

By implying that Leinster=finesse and Munster=grit and muscle, you are doing both teams a disservice.

$Leon$
05/04/2006, 7:37 PM
I don't feel any affinity for Leinster, which is basically just a Dublin team.

Don't no why you feel Leinster has an unfair bias towards Dublin players. Dublin accounts for approx 54% of the population of Leinster and the vast majority of the rugby playing population. Below shows that almost 50% of this years starting 15 (according to leinsterrugby.ie) are not Dublin born

D'Arcy = Wexford
Horgan = Meath
Contepomi = Argentina/Carlow
O'Kelly = English Born
Green = English
Jowitt = Samoan
Easterby = English born

Superhoops
05/04/2006, 8:00 PM
.....I don't feel any affinity for Leinster, which is basically just a Dublin team......
Like a Leinster hurling team which is basically just a Kilkenny team;)

Aberdonian Stu
05/04/2006, 8:01 PM
I'm fairly sure O'Kelly didn't grow up in Dublin, I see he's English born on that list but I think that when he did move to Ireland he grew up outside Dublin.

pineapple stu
05/04/2006, 8:24 PM
Ticket problems?! Always makes me laugh! Just join St John Ambulance like me and you can get in to all these events for free! Plus, I can't stand rugby, so I generally take some enjoyment out of the irony that I can get in no problem when others who'd love to be there can't. :)

DmanDmythDledge
05/04/2006, 8:58 PM
I'm fairly sure O'Kelly didn't grow up in Dublin, I see he's English born on that list but I think that when he did move to Ireland he grew up outside Dublin.
O'Kelly grew up in Dublin. Went to Templeogue College.

Aberdonian Stu
05/04/2006, 9:07 PM
Ok my mistake.

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/04/2006, 9:35 PM
Don't no why you feel Leinster has an unfair bias towards Dublin players. Dublin accounts for approx 54% of the population of Leinster and the vast majority of the rugby playing population. Below shows that almost 50% of this years starting 15 (according to leinsterrugby.ie) are not Dublin born

D'Arcy = Wexford
Horgan = Meath
O'Kelly = English Born
Green = English
Jowitt = Samoan
Easterby = English born

Great post $Leon$. Lets not forget Rob Kearney from Louth, or previous Leinster players like Shane Byrne (Wicklow) and Bob Casey (Kildare). As Superhoops said, half the Leinster hurling team is from Kilkenny. It shouldn't surprise us that the majority of players on a team would come from the area where the sport is strongest.
In fairness to Finlma, I'd say a lot of Leinster people will be behind Munster. There seems to be a closer affinity with this Munster team. They're kind of the people's team. I'll still be supporting Leinster. In my opinion, they play the nicer rugby. In saying that, no man deserves to win something more than Paul O'Connell, the outstanding sporting figure in Ireland at the moment.

Aberdonian Stu
05/04/2006, 9:48 PM
Hmm he's inspirational but I'd have BOD above him!

Soko
05/04/2006, 9:52 PM
While D'Arcy may have been born in Wexford he went to Clongowes and therefore might as well have grown up in Dublin. The same man who had "Southside" inscribed in his boots.

Its a Dublin team with very little ties to the rest of the province. Bringing foreign born players into the equation only harms your argument.

Superhoops
05/04/2006, 10:18 PM
.....no man deserves to win something more than Paul O'Connell, the outstanding sporting figure in Ireland at the moment.
Agree, but not this year!

Superhoops
05/04/2006, 10:46 PM

D'Arcy = Wexford
Horgan = Meath
O'Kelly = English Born
Green = English
Jowitt = Samoan
Easterby = English born
Shane Horgan is from Drogheda
Jamie Heaslip is from Naas
Reggie Corrigan is from Greystones
Bryce Williams is a New Zealander
Des Dillon is from Carlow
Adam Byrnes is Australian
Brendan Burke is from Leixlip
Christian Warner is Australian
John Hepworth is English
Simon Crawford is from Meath
Ben Gissing is another New Zealander

That's a fair part of the squad who are not from Dublin.

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/04/2006, 11:00 PM
While D'Arcy may have been born in Wexford he went to Clongowes and therefore might as well have grown up in Dublin.

Since when did Clongowes become part of Dublin? That's the same as saying Geordan Murphy went to school in Newbridge so he might as well be from Dublin. By all accounts D'Arcy is a proud Wexfordman and always supports the county's GAA teams.
The majority of the Connacht team is from outside the province but I don't think many Connacht people would support another province above their own.

CollegeTillIDie
06/04/2006, 5:56 AM
I'm from Leinster but I'll be cheering for Munster. I don't feel any affinity for Leinster, which is basically just a Dublin team. I've supported Munster for years and a guy I played rugby with in Kilkenny is on the team.

Finlma

Your stance is perfectly logical. Your county borders Munster with Decie to the South and Tipp to the west. And besides ye all work in Waterford anyway :D

CollegeTillIDie
06/04/2006, 5:59 AM
While D'Arcy may have been born in Wexford he went to Clongowes and therefore might as well have grown up in Dublin. The same man who had "Southside" inscribed in his boots.

Its a Dublin team with very little ties to the rest of the province. Bringing foreign born players into the equation only harms your argument.

Soko

Being born in Wexford is not an issue. Even going to a snobby school in Kildare is not a problem. But I draw the line at inscribing Southside in his boots...the guy is a snob :D

CollegeTillIDie
06/04/2006, 6:00 AM
Hmm he's inspirational but I'd have BOD above him!

Aberdonian Stu

BOD one of our Belfield Rugby Academy lads if I recall correctly :D