PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to St. Marys College

Terry
29/03/2006, 7:53 AM
From todays Indo:

St Mary's, Galway 1

Firhouse CC 1

(St Mary's win 4-3 on pens)
ONE part of what would be a truly unique double was completed at Whitehall yesterday when St Mary's College captured the Smart Telecom Dr O'Neill Irish Senior Cup following a sudden death shoot-out.

Celebrations for some of the participants will have to put on hold with St Mary's due to play St Pat's Navan in Saturday's All-Ireland College's senior 'A' football championship semi-final in Longford.

The Galway school had trailed after only four minutes when Firhouse striker Alan Farrington found the back of the net with an instinctive strike from outside the box.

At that stage Farrington and David Cronan were exerting a lot of pressure on the Mary's defence who had centre-half Conor Healy to thank for some excellent rearguard action.

Nonetheless, Farrington managed to get in behind the defence on 36 minutes following an excellent through ball from right wing Glen Coughlan.

But Farrington, having worked himself into a good scoring position, was unable to test the keeper with his subsequent effort.

And at the other end, Healy having ventured forward came close to restoring parity with Firhouse keeper Philip Bergin producing a full length save to keep his effort out.

The second half saw efforts at both ends with Firhouse defender Adam Doran getting his body in the way of an Eoin Concannon effort as St Mary's pressed for an equaliser.

Cross

But with just two minutes remaining St Mary's drew level when Concannon converted a Jason Molloy cross at the far post.

Two ten minute periods of extra time failed to produce a winner before with penalties following time.

And after both goalkeepers had produced two saves each, strikes from Adam Doran (Firhouse) and Glen Ward then forced a sudden death shoot-out.

With the score at 3-3, the advantage then went back to St Mary's with Paul Conroy diving down low to his right to deny Stephen Mahon.

And Darren Smyth stepped up for Galway to convert the match winning penalty.

FIRHOUSE CC - Bergin; Dunne, G Ward, K Ward, Doran; Coughlan, Mahon, Rothery, McEnroe (McDonnell 78; Farrington (Maloney 80), Cronan (Kennedy 104)

ST MARY'S GALWAY - Conroy; Deacy (Egan 74), Healy, Cullen, Hurley; Kavanagh, O'Connell, Whelan, Concannon (Gibbons 95); Molloy, Lynch (Smyth 64)

REF - F Cunningham (Dublin)

Hopefully some GUFC players of the future may lie in waiting here.:)

GalwayFrancis
29/03/2006, 9:01 AM
yea, fair play to the mary's lads, hopefully they can do the double now when they win up in longford!

Conor H
29/03/2006, 2:51 PM
And to the Bish U-16 who defeated Summerhill(shhligo) in the Connacht Final today.
1-0 final score.

Terry
29/03/2006, 2:53 PM
And to the Bish U-16 who defeated Summerhill(shhligo) in the Connacht Final today.
1-0 final score.

Excellent result. Summerhill were always the team to beat back in the days when I occasionally went to school !!;)

GalwayFrancis
29/03/2006, 3:10 PM
Excellent result. Summerhill were always the team to beat back in the days when I occasionally went to school !!;)
yea, summerhill where our boogie team when i was in secondary school, fair play the bish

Conor H
29/03/2006, 3:11 PM
They're into the All Ireland semi finals now so lets hope they can make it 2 Irish titles for Galway sides.:)

GalwayFrancis
29/03/2006, 3:12 PM
They're into the All Ireland semi finals now so lets hope they can make it 2 Irish titles for Galway sides.:)
any clue who the other 3 teams are?

Conor H
29/03/2006, 3:16 PM
No sorry.....ill let yee know tomorrow.

galwaygirl
29/03/2006, 4:21 PM
How long ago was that Terry??:p

hamish
29/03/2006, 4:25 PM
Is Martin Horgan the manager of the St. Mary's team??

Terry
29/03/2006, 8:17 PM
How long ago was that Terry??:p
around 13 years! I'd say you wouldnt be far behind !!!:p ;)

corbyeire
29/03/2006, 9:06 PM
seen as all the good vibes are going round fairplay to athenry for qualifying for the FAI cup first round - have drawn bangor celtic weekend 23rd april

swinfordfc
29/03/2006, 10:55 PM
Congrats to St Mary on wining the title - they beat our lads in the Connacht Final. i know ye have some Renmore lads on that team and they knocked us out of the Connacht under 18 cup to on pens - good game. Concannon big player of them in centre of field, they represents ireland in world cup schools finals as far as i know?