PDA

View Full Version : O'Callaghan

Pages : [1] 2

Roo69
28/03/2006, 4:21 PM
Cork City star George O’Callaghan insists the Leesiders are becoming accustomed to the rough-house tactics deployed by some teams against them this season.

Full story here (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/setantacup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21776)

Seriously, as if ALL teams dont tackle hard, get bookings and players sent off :rolleyes: He alsways has somthing to moan or groan about. Wonder what he think of O'Donavan ?

ndrog
28/03/2006, 4:28 PM
More ****in and moanin out of boy george.What a ***** !

coislaoi
28/03/2006, 4:30 PM
Cork City star George O’Callaghan insists the Leesiders are becoming accustomed to the rough-house tactics deployed by some teams against them this season.

Full story here (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/setantacup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21776)

Seriously, as if ALL teams dont tackle hard, get bookings and players sent off :rolleyes: He alsways has somthing to moan or groan about. Wonder what he think of O'Donavan ?

Whatever else you may think about him (and plenty have opinions), in the two games in United Park (League & Setanta), the Drogs clearly set out to kick him up and down the pitch. He was targeted from the outset in both games. That's what he is referring to in the Red Fm interview. O'Donovan was wrong, got sent off twice, fined two week's wages and has accepted that he needs to improve his discipline.

ps imo this thread is shít stirring big time

A face
28/03/2006, 4:31 PM
The guy is getting the shíte kicked out of him every game and refs are inept and aren't up to the task, we all say that on here, its not like its anything new.

If he is on the end of more than his fair share of illegal tackles then i think he is not out of order in voicing his opinion. We do want the game to improve i take it. Man, did you see Hearys tackle/elbow in the Pats game .... i'm just picking that as an example .... is that what we really want in the Irish game ??

IMO that kind of stuff is unreal. I've played ball and have landed on my árse a few times, and picked myself up gingerly, job done ... i watched myself for the rest of the game and thats part of it. What Georgie is on about are tackles that will keep him OUT OF THE GAME .... there is a difference. I know 'careers ending tackles' have been wished on a few forums thats no secret but this is just reaction. It goes over the top and the guy will speak out about it.

razor
28/03/2006, 4:31 PM
I think George spoke a lot of sense.
Dan Connor was silly and Drogheda couldn't beat us last night.
George can't train at the moment such are the scars and bruising he is currently carrying.

Peadar
28/03/2006, 4:33 PM
More ****in and moanin out of boy george.What a ***** !

Surely he told them they must win 2-0 not lose 0-2??? :confused:

:D

Connor gets sent off for thuggery and Georgie slots home the resultant penalty! Sweet!

Mod :

Peader, keep the insults out of it will please, keep it on topic.

Dodge
28/03/2006, 4:40 PM
every game and refs are inept and aren't up to the task, we all say that on here, its not like its anything new.

Man, did you see Hearys tackle/elbow in the Pats game .... i'm just picking that as an example .... is that what we really want in the Irish game ??
Not a great example of refereeing ineptitude as he received a straight red card. Agree generally that refs are poor but O'Callaghan is a whinging **** so I can't listen to him. And its not as if all 'flair' players in any league, ever, don't get more stick than most. Jessh, you'd swear he was the first to wear colouredy boots...

ndrog
28/03/2006, 4:45 PM
I think George spoke a lot of sense.
Dan Connor was silly and Drogheda couldn't beat us last night.
George can't train at the moment such are the scars and bruising he is currently carrying.

of course you think georgie spoke sense.None of you can see him for what he is , a moaning diver.Ive gone over it all before , hes a good player but a total ******* .George cant train ..boo hoo call the cops.FFS there was one challange on him last nite..

Peadar
28/03/2006, 4:47 PM
Mod :

Peader, keep the insults out of it will please, keep it on topic.

Mod Edited :

Georgie is entitled to say that he is getting used to getting the physical treatment. He's also entitled to say that he didn't believe drogs could come out and play to win against us. Equally, he's entitled to say that Connor was "silly" because his actions were plain stupid.

A face
28/03/2006, 4:48 PM
Not a great example of refereeing ineptitude as he received a straight red card.

I know but the tackle/afters/reaction was unreal ..... and this is Heary .... we are meant to herald him as one of the good players in the league and he is rearranging someone face !! :eek: :mad:

Agree generally that refs are poor but O'Callaghan is a whinging **** so I can't listen to him. And its not as if all 'flair' players in any league, ever, don't get more stick than most. Jessh, you'd swear he was the first to wear colouredy boots...

The boots and the flair are side issue regarding the 'career changing tackles' that he is on about.

Dodge
28/03/2006, 4:51 PM
But the point is are they really career threatening or is he a big pussy? Is he getting more stick thatn Hoolahan did or Molloy did or anyone else who fancies themselves. From what I've seen no, and none of them moaned even a 1/4 as mcuh as georgie...

A face
28/03/2006, 4:54 PM
But the point is are they really career threatening or is he a big pussy? Is he getting more stick thatn Hoolahan did or Molloy did or anyone else who fancies themselves. From what I've seen no, and none of them moaned even a 1/4 as mcuh as georgie...

Well it depends on what you want to see so then doesn't it !! :p

Pick another player so who is in for rough treatment, its the issue that i'm on about.

WindmillWarrior
28/03/2006, 4:56 PM
Whatever else you may think about him (and plenty have opinions), in the two games in United Park (League & Setanta), the Drogs clearly set out to kick him up and down the pitch. He was targeted from the outset in both games. That's what he is referring to in the Red Fm interview. O'Donovan was wrong, got sent off twice, fined two week's wages and has accepted that he needs to improve his discipline.

ps imo this thread is shít stirring big time

How precious are Cork fans :rolleyes: O'Callaghan certainly wasn't targeted last night in the Setanta match. He feckin strolled through the game. Honestly, do yis make this sh*t up or what?!!

A face
28/03/2006, 5:02 PM
How precious are Cork fans :rolleyes: O'Callaghan certainly wasn't targeted last night in the Setanta match. He feckin strolled through the game. Honestly, do yis make this sh*t up or what?!!

It not isolated to last night game only, its the 'welcome' that Georgie has been receiving all along. But that player aside ...... no names ... the standards of some of the tackles are unreal and need to be addressed ... whats you opnion on that ??

WindmillWarrior
28/03/2006, 5:05 PM
The refeering in this league is poor, we all know that. Its just some people moan more than others.

A face
28/03/2006, 5:08 PM
The refeering in this league is poor, we all know that. Its just some people moan more than others.

Agreed ... you're right on both counts !! :)

OneRedArmy
28/03/2006, 5:15 PM
Georgie, re-arrange these words into a well known phrase:
"bed, you, made, it, sleep, in."

His history of "simulation" as I believe its now called, has caught up on him.

The biggest shame is the lad is a class act and doesn't need to behave like this.

Peadar
28/03/2006, 5:19 PM
His history of "simulation" as I believe its now called, has caught up on him.

You weren't at the game last night so you have no idea what this is referring to but drogs have targetted him in every game. Last night he controlled the ball in front of our back four and the drog tried to slice him in half. The ref. was on the spot in seconds with the card in his hand.

You'd be unhappy if people were hacking down McCourt too, I'm sure.

Dazzy
28/03/2006, 5:28 PM
You'd be unhappy if people were hacking down McCourt too, I'm sure.

They are starting too now, but thats football!!!

WindmillWarrior
28/03/2006, 5:28 PM
You weren't at the game last night so you have no idea what this is referring to but drogs have targetted him in every game. Last night he controlled the ball in front of our back four and the drog tried to slice him in half. The ref. was on the spot in seconds with the card in his hand.

And I think that was the only tackle on him all night. So precious :rolleyes:

Peadar
28/03/2006, 5:43 PM
And I think that was the only tackle on him all night. So precious :rolleyes:

It was the only tackle that injured him, if that's what you mean.

JW.
28/03/2006, 5:56 PM
A mate of mine knows a brother of a Drog player who admitted that they deliberately set out to wind up George O'Callaghan in the cup final last season. It worked then; it has failed miserably since. Four sendings off in three games against Cork is more than coincidence and surely Drogheda should focus more on their own undoubted ability rather than change their strategy or whatever because they're playing Cork.

pete
28/03/2006, 6:03 PM
I don't think drogheda were too physical last night which may explain the loss. I don't think george was targetted last night & 1 bad foul by Bradley was standard yellow card stuff but ref was slow reacting which caused the players to "engage" each other.

George was clearly targetted in previous games especially the Setanta Cup game at the corss this season but he has matured this year & seem to relish the attention from opposition players & fans as allows other players to exploit this.

I'm sure other players say things in media interviews just no one pays any attention.

Cosmo
28/03/2006, 6:12 PM
George was clearly targetted in previous games.

So f**king what - it happens in football!!

Boy george got 1 tackle in on him lastnight - and I had a problem with that, our players should've been in on him from the first whistle!! Teams can get a long way if they can cut out the oppositions most influencial player

Cosmo
28/03/2006, 6:14 PM
surely Drogheda should focus more on their own undoubted ability rather than change their strategy or whatever because they're playing Cork.

Disagree - part of our strategy playing cork should be to cut out the effect of their most influencial player abd let boy george whinge about it all he wants!! It worked in the final :)

ndrog
28/03/2006, 6:33 PM
I don't think drogheda were too physical last night which may explain the loss. I don't think george was targetted last night & 1 bad foul by Bradley was standard yellow card stuff but ref was slow reacting which caused the players to "engage" each other.

George was clearly targetted in previous games especially the Setanta Cup game at the corss this season but he has matured this year & seem to relish the attention from opposition players & fans as allows other players to exploit this.

I'm sure other players say things in media interviews just no one pays any attention.

How can you state that boy george has matured ,if anything hes worse than last season.And of course he was targetted in games, hes your playmaker , he needs special attention.If hed keep his big mouth shut and stop winding people up !

A face
28/03/2006, 10:05 PM
Is there an unhealthy obsession with Georgie ??

RedX
28/03/2006, 10:33 PM
I was going to write a reply trying to persuade some people besides Cork City fans that what Georgie is saying is right...but then those people like Dodge(moaner as always)and the new breed Drogs fans(where have they all come from)would not understand that Georgie is actually defending all good players in the league..he is a legend in Cork and without doubt the best player in the league...people will say Mc Court is better and others will say hmmm is there anyone else that comes close?...:D ...to many jealous people around lads...if any of you boys thought Georgie was signing for your clubs in the morning you would wet yourselves...i have great respect for the guy just like i do for all the new generation skillful players in the league that is promoting our game...there are to many people on here that will not agree with fans from any other clubs about anything on here no matter what the subject...try and be honest lads!

CharlesThompson
28/03/2006, 10:58 PM
Can I be objective here in the George/McCourt debate? For me McCourt is a better player - end of argument.

On the George speaks issue, as a player in the no. 10 mould myself, I do appreciate the point George is making. Last season we (Bohs) got quite a bit of 'roughhouse' attention which went unpunished by referee's. The fact that GOC is a whinging b@st@rd should not take away necessarily from the point. The problem though rests with the referees on this one.

One point to consider here though is that roughhousing goes on in every league. Players from every team in every league come in for this stick and every team in every league has players that give it. That's football. As I said, it's the referees that have to manage it and for a lot of the time, they don't.

RedX
28/03/2006, 11:21 PM
Can I be objective here in the George/McCourt debate? For me McCourt is a better player - end of argument.

:D :D .....Charles Thompson....i nominate you for the "i dont know much about football award"....;)

A face
28/03/2006, 11:42 PM
:D :D .....Charles Thompson....i nominate you for the "i dont know much about football award"....;)

Red ... he is entitled to his opinion too though !!
McCourt is a legend actually ... some of the goals last year were worthy of a showpiece for our league.

ndrog
28/03/2006, 11:49 PM
I was going to write a reply trying to persuade some people besides Cork City fans that what Georgie is saying is right...but then those people like Dodge(moaner as always)and the new breed Drogs fans(where have they all come from)would not understand that Georgie is actually defending all good players in the league..he is a legend in Cork and without doubt the best player in the league...people will say Mc Court is better and others will say hmmm is there anyone else that comes close?...:D ...to many jealous people around lads...if any of you boys thought Georgie was signing for your clubs in the morning you would wet yourselves...i have great respect for the guy just like i do for all the new generation skillful players in the league that is promoting our game...there are to many people on here that will not agree with fans from any other clubs about anything on here no matter what the subject...try and be honest lads!

This boy george thing is getting boring .All cork fans please understand, we think he is a good player but a diving moaning git..Lets get it straight then good player + moaning diving git = hard tackles from opposition players .Its not complicated ...Take a wild stab in the dark on this one...Where do the new breed of drogs fans come from ? um i wonder ? wouldnt be Drogheda would it. As for boy george standing up for all players .Yeah right give me a break !

RedX
28/03/2006, 11:55 PM
Red ... he is entitled to his opinion too though !!
McCourt is a legend actually ... some of the goals last year were worthy of a showpiece for our league.

Oh dont be so boring Face...he is not entitled to an opinion if i dont like it...;)

A face
29/03/2006, 1:28 AM
Oh dont be so boring Face...he is not entitled to an opinion if i dont like it...;)

Georgie was up for only one goal in the goal of the season, McCourt had three and all were crackers !!

Slash/ED
29/03/2006, 2:12 AM
Tbh, I agree with Georgie here. Not so much the career ending tackles but the pure cynical ones, it was the same on Wes last year. The kind of fouls where players just take the player out when he's beaten them either by just kicking them in the ankle or dragging on the shirt that on the continent are automatic bookings but here your lucky to get a free kick. If you want people to come out and watch the league you need to stamp down on that kind of thing and make the league playable for flair players. The referees just bottle it and never punish the players enough and as a result the flair players are limited and struggle to get into games and the games are scrappy, the Derry Linfield match was a prime example, it was happening to McCourt all night and frees were given but the referees need to book the players too. The referees on the continent clamp down on this and we should follow suit.

WindmillWarrior
29/03/2006, 7:03 AM

Some of you Cork fans really should think before you post. You call the Drogs fans in this thread Johnny come latelys and yet 2 out of 3 of us have earlier "joined dates" to this site than you do :p (I think the other one probably is a Johnny come lately though :p )

As for George, he is right, players should get more protection from referees, especially flair players. But for Jebus' sake, not everyone thinks Georgie is the centre of the universe and the best player in the league. If Drogs signed him I wouldn't "wet myself" as you put it. I would actually prefer not to sign him at all and thats nothing to do with the history, I just don't rate him that highly (if you precious Cork fans can actually get your heads around that one!)

ColinR
29/03/2006, 8:19 AM
to me o'callaghan is just stirring it up after the match. like winmill warrior said, i'm glad that he did not join us. no arguement with his talent, but for the money we were supposedly offering, i wouldn't want a selfish player who goes missing when the ref doesn't give him something for nothing ala the cup final. great player, but he needs a great player (gamble) beside him at all times - now i would love us to sign gamble.;)

as regards referees not giving protection, that has always been the case. the worst foul i've seen in eL was roy o'donovan against derry in the last game of last season - should have been straight red, could have changed the game and won derry the title, but big crowd and the ref bottled it. (i've probably actually seen some worse - but the replays on tv highlighted how bad this was). nobody called cork a team of kickers that night btw! as for calling drogs a team of kickers - not since the days of martin lawlors team - not that really was a team of kickers :eek:

as for drogs and cork - a cup final, league match & two setanta cup matches in the last while, lets just be grateful we don't meet again for a while, cos i think we're starting to get sick of each other ;)

Cosmo
29/03/2006, 8:23 AM
not since the days of martin lawlors team - not that really was a team of kickers :eek:

Will ye ever stop having a dig at Lawlor at every opportunity ye get :D

'now i would love us to sign gamble'

Same here - best midfielder in the league

KK77
29/03/2006, 8:30 AM

Says the fella who always moans and niggles at Cork let it go Roo let it go son!

The Sheliban
29/03/2006, 8:41 AM
The point is, George deliberately goes out to wind people up, and now he moans about the way he's being targetted. Watch him during a match, he's always talking to the opposition, and you can be sure he's not enquiring after their father's health.
Mark Rutherford is another one who has taken a serious amount of abuse down through the years, yet he always picks himself up and gets on with it. Now he is a true professional.

Roo69
29/03/2006, 8:47 AM
Says the fella who always moans and niggles at Cork let it go Roo let it go son!

Are you actually soft ? seriously like.....

The Good Son
29/03/2006, 8:56 AM
great player, but he needs a great player (gamble) beside him at all times - now i would love us to sign gamble.;)

I must admit I'd agree if City had to lose one of either Gamble or O Callaghan I'd rather see O Callaghan go.
Also I wonder would people agree, no matter what team they support that the league is a lot better with the likes of O Callaghan. For City fans it's generally a love him thing, while other teams must enjoy hating him (if they do hate him). It's the games against the likes of Shels\Drogs etc. that make it all the sweeter following City. It's great having the games against the likes of Heary, Reynolds, Connors etc. in the present day, in the past Paul Whelan,Tilson,Tom Mac Nulty etc that make it all interesting, perhaps I'm not the norm but the hate is enjoyable in its' own way. Digger, a great character and all that, but it's shagging annoying the big love in every time he plays against City (at least that seems to have calmed a bit since his move to Bohs).

NY Hoop
29/03/2006, 10:14 AM
O'Callaghan is a good player but IMO not in McCourt's league. Difference is Paddy is respected by other players.

KOH

Dodge
29/03/2006, 10:37 AM
Don't be stoopid NY Hoop. O'Callaghan's been nominated for PFAI player of the year the last few years. Of course he's respected. Miles better player than McCourt IMO but that doesn't mena he's not an idiot and a whinging tosser to boot

KK77
29/03/2006, 10:49 AM
Are you actually soft ? seriously like.....

:rolleyes: As i said let it go Roo let it go or maybe go back to having a pop at Kenny & McDonnell :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
29/03/2006, 10:52 AM
Not being stupid. I stand over what I said. When Paddy scores you dont see him running to the oppositions fans goading them or screaming when someone barely touches him.

KOH

Dodge
29/03/2006, 11:11 AM
No but last year he lunged two footed at Stephen Caffrey and also elbowed another Pats player. He's far from the model pro. Might be a better one than O'Callaghan but that doesn't mean much tbh...

Roo69
29/03/2006, 11:32 AM
:rolleyes: As i said let it go Roo let it go or maybe go back to having a pop at Kenny & McDonnell :rolleyes:

As i said, are you soft ? like is there something wrong with you ? not being stupid orslagging you or anything but you just seem to follow my postings around the board and just post the oppisite to what i say.... a very strange fixation indeed.

How about this, why not actually add something to the debate like everyone else, instead of just trying to annoy me ? Do you think you could manage that ? or would that be to much to ask ?

Peadar
29/03/2006, 11:38 AM
O'Callaghan is a good player but IMO not in McCourt's league. Difference is Paddy is respected by other players.

Saw McCourt playing for you against us and couldn't believe how poor he was. He was missing for most of the game.

Since moving to Derry, Kenny has made him an automatic start. Georgie played in the majority of our games. Georgie also has a League medal in his pocket.
Derry fans were moaning about McCourt not having had a rest. Well we'll see how he does this season.

KK77
29/03/2006, 12:56 PM
As i said, are you soft ? like is there something wrong with you ? not being stupid orslagging you or anything but you just seem to follow my postings around the board and just post the oppisite to what i say.... a very strange fixation indeed.

How about this, why not actually add something to the debate like everyone else, instead of just trying to annoy me ? Do you think you could manage that ? or would that be to much to ask ?

:rolleyes: As someone said your **** stirring and i agree with them so as i said let it go :rolleyes:

As regards following you around check the posts and you'll see i don't:p