PDA

View Full Version : Longford 0-0 Rovers

SRFCbrothelutd
27/03/2006, 10:50 PM
Poor game & poor conditions, Longford are also a poor side for a side thats been together for 4r5 years and won 2 cups. Think rovers are carrying 3 or 4 players as we pose no offensive threat. Dont get me wrong longford didnt create much either but dont think offensively we can compete in this league as we will struggle to score goals with players we've got. Also think squad is too small as mcnamara now injured and turner now suspended. 3 teenagers and a 25 year old on the bench 2night......

avvenalaf
27/03/2006, 11:44 PM
Brothel is quite right. This team will struggle big time to score goals. Longford are probably the worst team we will play away from home this year and where this was always going to be a one goal game, we never looked remotely like getting it. No more than last year, we never once got to the byline on a night that was crying out for balls across the box. What is the point in humping high balls down on top of McT?. Not a lot to enthuse about from the new players. The full backs were in trouble all night and a better side than Longford would have been 2 up at half time. Thought Connor, given the quality of the opposition, could have been brave and gone 3-4-2 after the sending off and gone for the win. It was there for us and in the context of the season, three points here would have been very important.

Red4Eva
28/03/2006, 1:28 AM
that was any absolutely superb tackle chris turner made, what a f*ckin joke the standard of officiating is in this league. i thought our back 5 was brilliant 2nite but no1 in midfield was good enough. mansaram&mct did were good enough. thought 1st half was fairly even but we didn't create any chances and alan kirby had a cupla good ones for them. in 2nd half thought longford were shockingly sh*te until turner got sent off and not much better after. i think it was the right decision to go 4-4-1 cos confidence would be f*cked if we lost again. 4 points from our 1st 3 games is a great start and if we beat pat's the table will be lookin pretty nice. so far we haven't been creating enough chances but the midfield will be better with time and we need to be patient

redrov2005
28/03/2006, 5:51 AM
Wasn't at game but was not impressed by new signings from what i saw against Derry.

Is the current side any better than this from last year. Don't think so.....

O' Hara

Cretaro McNamrara Burns Low

Faz O'Grady Murtagh O'Donnell

McT Flannery

Bravo
28/03/2006, 7:26 AM
I taught we were solid at the back, had a great view of the challenge that got Turner sent off & it was a good tackle, our strikers didn’t pose any treat but the service they got was poor, half of our midfield didn’t perform & that’s not good enough for the premier division.
All in all, awful conditions, a clean sheet, a point, 5th in the table.
Not a bad start!

marktis
28/03/2006, 8:28 AM
I thought that again like in Derry, Rovers were very poor in the first half and looked at times all over the place. They could have been a goal down except that Longfords attack was not up too much. The Longford number 7 seemed to run the show for him and he was causing problems sitting between their midfield and attack.

But the second half Rovers took control of the game without creating any clear cut openings - a few half chances and a long range shot or two. The sending off was a disgrace, IMO the Longford player made no attempt to play the ball and went into the tackle to "do" Turner. Turner kept his eye on the ball, studs down and won the tackle. The sending off was caused by the longford players rushing in and surrounding the ref.

After the sending off Rovers did not look under too much pressure except once from a corner to the far post.

Overall it was a good result and am sure that when we return there later in the season we will be looking for all 3 points.

Red&White Rover
28/03/2006, 8:51 AM
i'm afraid that McT mightn't be up to Premier League standard...i mean 1st division, when he hurried and hassled defenders, they made mistakes but he's doing the same this season and it ain't working...difference is the defenders CAN cope with him now....i hope i'm wrong

max power
28/03/2006, 9:18 AM
that was any absolutely superb tackle chris turner made, what a f*ckin joke the standard of officiating is in this league.

Sorry but a player needing stitches is a "perfect tackle", it was two footed and split his leg open, the booing rovers fans were a disgrace. but fair play for the singing and the noise apart from that.

max power
28/03/2006, 9:22 AM
The sending off was a disgrace, IMO the Longford player made no attempt to play the ball and went into the tackle to "do" Turner. Turner kept his eye on the ball, studs down and won the tackle. The sending off was caused by the longford players rushing in and surrounding the ref.

No the sending off was because he used two feet, didn't get the ball and left the player leaving serious medical attention:rolleyes:

max power
28/03/2006, 9:28 AM
Sorry Max but Rovers fans were critical of Turner this season but that was a good Hard Tackle and any Longford Town fan i spoke said the same ! He won the ball fairly it was a hard tackle but not dirty there is a difference and the Longford Town players re-action got Turner sent off ! BTW the way why do you keep on saying it was two footed when it clearly was not ! You are the only person saying this ?

I was directly beside the stand, right in front of the tackle, our players were wrong in what they did, you are correct in that. but the tackle was two footed and that is a red card, no matter what way you look at it, plus it caught him above the shin guard with his studs and split hos leg open. the injury is fact, i was in the dressing room and saw it, i was asked by one of our coaches to get the doctor as well before it was announced, sorry but i am honestly sayinh what i saw, directly in front of me.

roversforever
28/03/2006, 9:34 AM
Turner should never have got sent off but we lack fire power up front and one of those teenagers on the bench i dont rate ! But that is my opinion !
who do you not rate?i wasn't at the game so im not sure who your talking about.you're not talking about gary curran or jay mccartney are you?

feo123
28/03/2006, 9:53 AM
we played ok! seanie told all of the fans that we are w*****s! though peers nd foy stood out! turner done well....great tackle BTW, won the ball cleanly! mansaram nd McT worked hard but neva threatened! we seemed to look for that extra pass around the edge of the box instead of havin a shot or just crossin it in! happy enuf with a point...could have had all 3 though!

The Stars
28/03/2006, 9:58 AM
welll if its Gary you must have no knowledge of football what so ever.He is the best talent in Connacht and showed his class in his performance tonight.Only got 10 mins or so but won every tackle he went for and tracked back into his own penalty area and made important blocks.wouldnt be surprised if he starts against pats

Ronnie
28/03/2006, 9:59 AM
Conditions spolied the game last night. I thought Longford started well and looked lively in the first 25, with two good chances falling to Kirby, the volley and the header, and Dessie Baker messing a good lob chance with only Keeper to beat and a few weak long distance shots from Davy Byrne. As half wore on and conditions worsened either Sligo got our measure or we got worse but very little threat from us for the rest of first half and most of second until a flurry of corners near the end.

De Town
28/03/2006, 11:53 AM
1st half we were the better team with the wind with Sligo not up to much. 2nd half was just pure sh!te, from both teams, and yes it was a red card. 2 footed tackle above the ball. Can't see how you can argue with that. I know we weren't great last night butI can see Sligo struggling in attack. McTiernan chased everything but didn't look up to much and your man Mansaram put himself about without doing a whole lot.

max power
28/03/2006, 12:15 PM
and we always believe everything we read in the papers:rolleyes: did you see how far away the press box is from the pitch ffs.

i was at the dugout less that 5 yards from the pitch, it was a two footed tackle, the ref seen it, i seen it and he was off.

as for your manager shouting at him when we was being looked at by the doctors, i'll say nothing.....ok i will, muppet:D

feo123
28/03/2006, 12:22 PM
it was never a red card.....debatable wheter it was even a free kick!!

max power
28/03/2006, 12:25 PM
from www.longfordtownfc.com

Davy Byrne, in possession in midfield, received a heavy, awkward challenge from Turner, who had studs showing in the tackle. Referee Declan Hanney didn't like the challenge, issuing a straight red card. Byrne didn't like the challenge either and now looks set for a period on the sidelines with a nasty looking ankle injury.

not all media agree.......i think thats what happened and the person who wrote it was 2 rows into the stand and not at the top of it in the press box;)

max power
28/03/2006, 12:28 PM
Sorry seen it with my own eyes One Footed tackle that hard but fair !

6 stitches is fair ??? out with injury from the tackle is fair:rolleyes:

that number 12 being takin off for yee, that was fair, he was pathetic, worst player i've seen on an EL pitch in a long time, but yee worked hard i'll give yee that.

Bravo
28/03/2006, 12:29 PM
Turner slid in, his leading leg played the ball cleanly, however the greasy surface carried him through & his trailing leg clattered the Longford player (Byrne), he went down & the reaction of the Players got Turner sent off.
The Physio called for a stretcher & a sub, then he decided to walk off, got to the Dugout called for the doctor & then got stretchered off, waved on his way off to tell people in the crowd (family I presume) he was ok (thumbs up and a big smile) and then returned out of the tunnel again to chat!
That’s what I saw. Drogba wouldn’t have a look in!

REDdecky
28/03/2006, 12:32 PM
Best tackle of the night gets a man sent off!! I THOUGHT THE STANDARD OF REFEREEING WOULD IMPROVE IN THE PREMIER DIVISION...I'M WRONG..

Rovers worth there point espeically away from home but will have to work harder........a speedy winger will kill Foy but is a good tackler..... has to stay in own half..Hughes looks good.

Rory H
28/03/2006, 12:35 PM
he went in with 2 feet[as a few of them did in the game but the conditions didnt help]

a yellow card would have calmed the whole melee down a bit

i really do doubt yer man broke his ankle,he would have been able to walk off the pitch

or stand in the tunnel either for that matter

max power
28/03/2006, 12:37 PM
Turner slid in, his leading leg played the ball cleanly, however the greasy surface carried him through & his trailing leg clattered the Longford player (Byrne), he went down & the reaction of the Players got Turner sent off.
The Physio called for a stretcher & a sub, then he decided to walk off, got to the Dugout called for the doctor & then got stretchered off, waved on his way off to tell people in the crowd (family I presume) he was ok (thumbs up and a big smile) and then returned out of the tunnel again to chat!
That’s what I saw. Drogba wouldn’t have a look in!

should have gone to specsavers :rolleyes:

The Stars
28/03/2006, 12:38 PM
Can you read my post please stars ? Tell where i mention Gary Curran ? It is actually Jason McCarthney sorry dont rate him at all !
Gary Curran is a class act alright !
i can read your post...but didnt think you would say who you didnt rate so made my case for curran to see if you would agree with it.
maybe if you just cvame out and said it at the start you would have saved the trouble for both of us.

max power
28/03/2006, 12:41 PM
he went in with 2 feet[as a few of them did in the game but the conditions didnt help]

a yellow card would have calmed the whole melee down a bit

i really do doubt yer man broke his ankle,he would have been able to walk off the pitch

6 stitches in mullingar hospital and a lot of brusing, 2 feet = red card, simple rule, justify it as you wish but two feet are two feet.

Rory H
28/03/2006, 12:43 PM
in fairness,everyone footballer gets stitches in their mullingar hospital....its just part of the game;)

i have looked at my feet and i can confirm max's statement that two feet are in fact...2 feet!!

:D

akearins
28/03/2006, 2:02 PM
have to agree with Turners tackle was spot on, well timed and he won the ball.What got him sent off was the Longford players reaction, unfortunate their player had to leave the filed and get stitches etc. didnt even think he would get a yellow for it.

All in all we should be satisfied with our start to the season 4 points from 9 not a bad return froma side that ahsnt settled or had time to gel.For a period in the second half I thought we found a groove and began to click, a few more games under their belts and the side will improve a player get to know each others game.
I would say Sean is still not 100% on his firts eleven as he has only had them for 4 games so far and will prob need few more to cement his side in place.

Fair play to all who travelled and this is very important that large numbers travel to away games as remember next season one of the criteria for premier divisoin staus will coem down to crowds and i cannot see any club wantimg us not to be ther as we bring good revenur to them.

redrov2005
28/03/2006, 2:10 PM
Are you for real asking that question ?

O'Donnell very yellow IMO ! Murtagh useless ! Foy is ahead of Low by a fair bit !

And why shouldn't i ask that question. Murtagh useless ? Shows what you know. Low was a class act. As someone else said Foy will get hammered by a pacy winger. But you didn't address the real point and that is are any of the new signings all that much better than the players that were there last season.

Oh yeah. Some of them have their good points but this is a fully pro set bar one or 2 against a Longford team that is by and large semi pro and from what i saw against Derry, we don't look up to all that much.

I really hope i'm wrong and that we have a great season but i just think there is a lack of pace in the team.

Rory H
28/03/2006, 2:13 PM
And why shouldn't i ask that question. Murtagh useless ? Shows what you know. Low was a class act. As someone else said Foy will get hammered by a pacy winger. But you didn't address the real point and that is are any of the new signings all that much better than the players that were there last season.

Oh yeah. Some of them have their good points but this is a fully pro set bar one or 2 against a Longford team that is by and large semi pro and from what i saw against Derry, we don't look up to all that much.

I really hope i'm wrong and that we have a great season but i just think there is a lack of pace in the team.

and a lack of creativity

mc t and the flash were getting no service and had to chase all night which admirably they did...turners replacement for saturday....has to be curran.....deserves his chance

redrov2005
28/03/2006, 2:42 PM
Sorry Murtagh was hopeless ! He knew he was useless that why he gave up being a professional footballer !

Foy is a better player than Low anybody who seen the actual roasting the Low took down in Limerick IMO he was never the same player after ! Actually i think for a fair bit last season it looked as his hears was not in it !

I dont think there is a lack of pace maybe creativity !

And i did not answer your question because i did not think you could be serious ! NO is the answer !

I'm baffled by your attitude. I was merely seeking peoples thoughts on the current team as opposed to last season's team. It is a forum and its not up to you to decide what is serious and what is not.

Quote:Sorry Murtagh was hopeless ! He knew he was useless that why he gave up being a professional footballer !

Are you 8 years of age or what ?!

Bravo
28/03/2006, 2:49 PM
should have gone to specsavers :rolleyes:
My good man, we will have to agree to disagree. Obviously you purchased Rose tinted Glasses on your last visit to specsavers (maybe a red and black tint)??

Wiseguy
28/03/2006, 3:17 PM
I'm surprised at Sligo fans thinking that the tackle didn't warrant a red card.It was right in front of me and it was 100% a 2 footed studs up tackle and the referee got it right.If a Town player had done it i would expect him to be sent off.

max power
28/03/2006, 3:22 PM
My good man, we will have to agree to disagree. Obviously you purchased Rose tinted Glasses on your last visit to specsavers (maybe a red and black tint)??

yeah i bought them off a rovers fan, he was allso selling an ipod he got off some bohs fan:D

avvenalaf
28/03/2006, 3:59 PM
Have to say that my initial reaction to the tackle was that he won the ball but would also have to say that if the same tackle was made on a Rovers player in the Showgrounds I would be roaring for a red card. That's why you get two pairs of glasses at Specsavers - one for home games and one for away !!

gerardchrystal
28/03/2006, 4:20 PM
got a draw but we should be getting 3 points from games like this,did anyone see o connor calling rovers fans w----rs when faz didnt even try an inch again and wanted him off.there was 4 people beside me who reminded oconnor whos paying hes wages etc etc.he wasent long sitting back down in the dugout after that.

( dont whine;dont complain;dont make excuses. )

Jeebus
28/03/2006, 4:33 PM
Yea, My brother said he saw Connors having words with the Rovers fans at the front of the stand after Faz got abuse. Also Connors didnt acknowledge the fans at the end of the match like he normally does, he just walked off.

I cant see how he can justify playing Faz after his last 3 performances, he made no effort to track back last night after he lost possession.

1 9 2 8
28/03/2006, 5:24 PM
It wouldn't be in SC's interest to turn on the fans DOR did it and he didn't last to long after that

Guts&Glory
28/03/2006, 5:57 PM
If Connors did call us all w*****s (we were fairly back in the stand so missed what was said but could see exhanges were made) then thats unbelievable, what respect has he got for us?

Lets see his PR skills in use trying to deflect that one!

I never rated Faz last season either, for starters for a winger he doesnt pass his man and cross very often does he ?

If any of us produced his (lack of) workrate on a Sunday morning down hte park we would be hauled off straighaway.

gustavo
28/03/2006, 5:59 PM
Faz is going through a bad patch if we had any bigger of a squad i'd say he would be dropped for a while but i dont think we can afford to do that really.Oh and its not O'Connor , its not Connors , its Connor !

Guts&Glory
28/03/2006, 6:02 PM
Jeez Redrov ! I tell you why your question is so Stupid because the man in the Moon knows that we have better players this year than last Year thus a better team !

I mean you put a guy in your team Who played very little for us last year ! Foley was a better player than him !

I have already answered your question as i said "NO" last years team is not better than this years !

For the Squad I would have liked to have seen Foley and Cretaro Stay ! I mean times like now you could do with Cretaro in Midfield pushing on Getting Forward ! The defense is better than last years and Turner is probably the best Midfielder we have at the Club !

I am with Redrov on this one.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion or put a question out there whether you agree with it or not is another thing.

Nobody comes on here looking to be mocked or told they havent got a clue about footie. You would be surprised by what Stalin complex like chracters do such things believe me! (not referring to you Rogue Trader by the way trust me)

We all love the game otherwise we wouldnt be on here debating issues.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ? LOL

Guts&Glory
28/03/2006, 6:09 PM
Faz is going through a bad patch if we had any bigger of a squad i'd say he would be dropped for a while but i dont think we can afford to do that really.Oh and its not O'Connor , its not Connors , its Connor !

Geez Gustavo I know that!

If I refferred to him as Seanie would you also correct me?

Talk to any of the Rovers players and they refer to him (apart from gaffer) as Seanie or Connors when talking about him.

Rovers1
28/03/2006, 6:25 PM
the guy who 'reminded' him of whos paying his wages was my sisters boyfriend (or at least one of the people who was shouting it). Faz had a shocker,didnt look a bit sharp looked totally uninterested and has since bohs game,as too has O'Grady,i wasnt at the Derry game but at the Bohs game he didnt seem too lively and last night wasnt a great performance from any midfield player, as for Hughes,he was was on another planet.

Sean was out of order calling the fans *****s,us fans want Rovers to do well,and will get frustrated when they feel a certain individual isnt giving 100% then we will obviously be frustrated.

Rovers had great support too,we should get that crowd for every away game!

redrov2005
28/03/2006, 7:27 PM
Jeez Redrov ! I tell you why your question is so Stupid because the man in the Moon knows that we have better players this year than last Year thus a better team !

I mean you put a guy in your team Who played very little for us last year ! Foley was a better player than him !

I have already answered your question as i said "NO" last years team is not better than this years !

For the Squad I would have liked to have seen Foley and Cretaro Stay ! I mean times like now you could do with Cretaro in Midfield pushing on Getting Forward ! The defense is better than last years and Turner is probably the best Midfielder we have at the Club !

Gosh you really are getting tiresome. The point is that i am not sure that the new players are really adding all that much. Of course we SHOULD be stronger than last season. With so many on pro contracts that's only to be expected.

I was simply making the observation that i don't think the new signings are adding all that much.

I presume its O'Donnell you are referring to. I think he was hard done by and is as good if not better than some of the new signings.

redrov2005
28/03/2006, 8:41 PM
Well i was at the Derry game and wasn't impressed with the new lads. Hughes was the only one who did well, but we were totally outplayed and that was really disappointing from a full time set up.

redrov2005
28/03/2006, 10:37 PM
Look you asked a question i answered it even though and i said it that i thought it was stupid question and you disagreed me, now you have agreed with me jeez c'mon Redrov!

But sure so are Derry full time thay have a real decent side ! I think 4 points from the first 3 games is a good return with two of those coming away from Home !

You cant go to one game and Come out and say that is the way it is ! Very unfair and not sure what you were expecting as a points return from the first 3 games of a new season when we have just moved up a division ?

Crikey ! I am as entitled as anyone on the basis of seeing one game to make an observation. Does seeing three games give you the right to presume you are right and dismiss other views?

I'm reasonably happy with the points return, but based on what i saw in Derry and the feedback on this forum, we are not playing well. Maybe you think they are, but that's just your opinion and you are entitled to it. I expected a bit more from signings who are on professional contracts and that was all i was saying. I saw Turner in Derry and thought he was lost out there.

By the way we've picked up 1 point away from home and not two.

Paraic
29/03/2006, 8:31 AM
thread descending into handbags and way off longford topic - if you want to discuss the team start a new thread. Closing this one