PDA

View Full Version : Republic Of Ireland V Switzerland

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2006, 11:00 PM
At today's W.F.A.I. AGM it was announced that the upcoming World Cup Qualification game between the Republic of Ireland and Switzerland will take place on Saturday April 22 2006 at 5 p.m. in Richmond Park.
The game itself is the return fixture for the game which took place today that saw the Swiss emerge victorious on a 2-0 scoreline.

However the major announcement connected with this game is that
The game will be the first Women's International to be shown live on TV in this country when TG4 will broadcast the game free to air.

Countryripple
27/03/2006, 12:00 PM
Thats super news about the game being on TG4. Now just to decide whether to go to it or sit on the couch!!! :D

CollegeTillIDie
27/03/2006, 9:49 PM
countryripple

Please go to the game we need as many Women's football people as possible to attend and make the attendance as big as possible to maintain the level of interest generated by this game. The World Champions are coming in August namely Germany, and we need all the support we can get for these games and the Scotland home game later in the year.

CollegeTillIDie
22/04/2006, 10:45 PM
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND 2 SWITZERLAND 0
Noel King's Girls in Green, won their Women's Senior World Cup Qualification tie against Switzerland in Richmond Park tonight. Ireland went into this, their first home game of the campaign, on the back of three away ties which had seen them lose 5-1 to Russia, 2-0 to Switzerland and draw 0-0 with Scotland. The Republic of Ireland took the lead on 22 minutes . Laura Hislop's corner was headed to the net by skipper Ciara Grant. It remained 1-0 at the break. The second half saw several chances fall to the Swiss which they failed to take. The Republic had some chances of their own, but it wasn't until the final minute of normal time when , record goalscorer Olivia O'Toole on as a second half substitute stuck the ball in the net from an Edel Malone pass to make it 2-0. Switzerland finished the game with 10 players because skipper Steinegger was given a straight red for a professional foul on Taylor about ten minutes from time.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND:- Emma Byrne (Arsenal); Elaine O'Connor (Long Island Lady Riders), Sharon Boyle (Shamrock Rovers), Marie Curtin (Hofstra University), Alisha Moran (Harvard University); Ciara Grant (Arsenal), Sonya Hughes( Franklin Pierce University), Diane Caldwell (Raheny United), Edel Malone (Hofstra University); Laura Hislop (Franklin Pierce University), Katie Taylor (UCD) SUBS USED:- Olivia O'Toole (Shamrock Rovers) for Hislop
Claire Scanlan ( Bristol Academy WFC) for Malone;

SWITZERLAND;- Brunner; Schare, Achermann, Steinegger, Kuenzler;
Abbe,Kaufmann, Maendly Gaillard;Burki, Moser; SUBS USED:- Schwarz for Schare; Wenger for Maendly

CollegeTillIDie
22/04/2006, 10:48 PM
Next up is a home game against Scotland on May 6th at 7 p.m. in Richmond Park.

Countryripple
24/04/2006, 12:10 PM
Good game on Saturday. We were by far the better team. The Swiss barely seemed to threaten us at all. Katie Taylor had a very good game and troubled them everytime she had the ball. We were unlucky to have hit the post a few times.

Well done.

Green Tribe
29/04/2006, 3:02 PM
Next up is a home game against Scotland on May 6th at 7 p.m. in Richmond Park.

At last we beat the darn swiss :D I thought the ladies were playing in Perth soon?:confused:

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 3:04 PM
At last we beat the darn swiss :D I thought the ladies were playing in Perth soon?:confused:

Played there last September Green Tribe and drew 0-0!

Breifne
29/04/2006, 11:13 PM
Katie Taylor had a very good game and troubled them everytime she had the ball.

Couple of things, Katie was excellent in the first half, and ended well, but the first half of the second half she seemed to be very quiet. I suppose this is due to the fact that she hasn't really been playing much football lately. Only playing three or four games since the WFAI Cup Final, in the Colleges League with UCD. It would be scary to see her if she was fully 100% concentrating on soccer, and not the boxing.

On an aside, i think its disgraceful the way she has been treated by the boxing authorities, she was due to be fighting in Turkey over this weekend, but due to her appearance for Ireland last week she was suspended. What the boxing authorities and other sports is using the rising tide of women's soccer to highlight athletes of Katies ability within their own sport. Its a big mistake by the Irish Boxing authorities in my opinion. Cutting off their own nose to spite their face.

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 9:59 AM
Couple of things, Katie was excellent in the first half, and ended well, but the first half of the second half she seemed to be very quiet. I suppose this is due to the fact that she hasn't really been playing much football lately. Only playing three or four games since the WFAI Cup Final, in the Colleges League with UCD. It would be scary to see her if she was fully 100% concentrating on soccer, and not the boxing.

On an aside, i think its disgraceful the way she has been treated by the boxing authorities, she was due to be fighting in Turkey over this weekend, but due to her appearance for Ireland last week she was suspended. What the boxing authorities and other sports is using the rising tide of women's soccer to highlight athletes of Katies ability within their own sport. Its a big mistake by the Irish Boxing authorities in my opinion. Cutting off their own nose to spite their face.
Agree 100% with you on your posting. And then on the other hand you have certain Women's Gaelic Football Inter County teams getting their players to sign documents agreeing NOT to play soccer

Numero
30/04/2006, 4:07 PM
If that is number 10 you are talking about she was by far the most effective Irish player during the course of the entire match. Surprising that she didn't get player of the match award.

It is incredible to learn about what the boxing authorities have done

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 4:59 PM
Yes Katie Taylor wore #10 .
Oh and to remind people, tell all the couch potatoes you know that the match next Saturday is on TG4. I shall update you with the time the coverage begins later in the week.

greenumbro
30/04/2006, 6:03 PM
Great to hear the Irish girls played well... Have to say it is also great to see so many young players getting the chance to play senior and being able to pull it off - the likes of Diane Cauldwell and Katie Taylor. Fair play to all involved! :)
Lets hope they can pull it off against Scotland now next wk! Great to hear that Katie impressed so many too, I can't believe that Breifne, she has been so dedicated to the boxing right throughout the year (and so successful!) that's rediculous treating her like that... When somebody as talented as Katie is found, she shouldn't have to choose between two sports which she obviously loves and clearly excels at! Disgraceful behaviour, she should be encouraged not discouraged! :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 9:58 PM
Again I agree with you greenumbero and just to clarify the situation.
UCD had 10 games in the Premier Division of the WSCAI , Katie for one reason or another missed 6 of them. And she also missed the promotion/relegation play-off games with WIT which saw UCD relegated to the First Division for the first time since 1993.
UCD in fact were missing 16 of their first choice squad , for one reason or another, for the second leg, including 2 under 19 internationals who were over in Slovenia. In any other League 2 players missing on international duty would get you a postponement.

And people wonder why there is a widespread belief in certain circles that there is some one/or ones in the Executive of the WSCAI who has/have it in for UCD?

Breifne
01/05/2006, 7:19 PM
Again I agree with you greenumbero and just to clarify the situation.
UCD had 10 games in the Premier Division of the WSCAI , Katie for one reason or another missed 6 of them. And she also missed the promotion/relegation play-off games with WIT which saw UCD relegated to the First Division for the first time since 1993.
UCD in fact were missing 16 of their first choice squad , for one reason or another, for the second leg, including 2 under 19 internationals who were over in Slovenia. In any other League 2 players missing on international duty would get you a postponement.

And people wonder why there is a widespread belief in certain circles that there is some one/or ones in the Executive of the WSCAI who has/have it in for UCD?

Couple of things there Dec, we actually only had one player missing for international duty, the other two in the squad (Aine and Tara) aren't currently eligible for the college side. Katie did play the first leg, but was unavailable for the second leg of the playoff. Just to clarify, two internationals would have given us a shout at a postponement, but then our college year was finished last week, and we couldn't have played it. Its just a series of mis fortunate events, more the fault of circumstance rather than any malice in my opinion.

CollegeTillIDie
01/05/2006, 9:34 PM
Couple of things there Dec, we actually only had one player missing for international duty, the other two in the squad (Aine and Tara) aren't currently eligible for the college side. Katie did play the first leg, but was unavailable for the second leg of the playoff. Just to clarify, two internationals would have given us a shout at a postponement, but then our college year was finished last week, and we couldn't have played it. Its just a series of mis fortunate events, more the fault of circumstance rather than any malice in my opinion.

Ok I stand corrected. Glad to know the 2 internationals rule is in vogue in the WSCAI !

greenumbro
02/05/2006, 7:38 PM
Yea, I have to agree with breifne here... The UCD girls had a very poor start to the season and were constantly missing first team players due to exams, injury or any number of other reasons... It just wasn't UCD's year and unfortunately the relegation battle was so near the end of the year nothing could be done but play it without the vast majority of key players, including Nicola. Like Breifne said, just a number of unfortunate events lead to such a bad season leading to disaster... The team are devasted esp after such a good yr in terms of Varsities (winning the indoors and reaching final of outdoors....Unfortunately again, this had no sway on league results...) Don't fear, UCD will defo be back up there next year and will show that they never really deserved to have been put down in the first place. Just for the record, UCD won the first game of the play off but lost it badly on the away game... :mad:

Countryripple
02/05/2006, 7:55 PM
I thought the UCD p!ssing and moaning bout how they were so hard done had finished!!!! Please please please for the sake of the rest of us............drop it............no one wants to hear anymore about it. :rolleyes:

Breifne
02/05/2006, 11:16 PM
I thought the UCD p!ssing and moaning bout how they were so hard done had finished!!!! Please please please for the sake of the rest of us............drop it............no one wants to hear anymore about it.

I think you might have missed the point of my earlier post.

Its just a series of mis fortunate events, more the fault of circumstance rather than any malice in my opinion.

no one is ****ing and moaning about getting relegated, they were relegated because over the course of the season UCD were the second worst team in the league, and over 180 minutes of playoff football weren't as strong as their opponents. no hard feelings, no feeling hard done by. UCD knew the situation before they took to the field. And didn't have the strength in depth to stay up.

The reason UCD were relegated is purely down to UCD, no one else. I can confirm that they are 100% aware of this.

greenumbro
03/05/2006, 10:25 AM
Again... I have to agree with Breifne here... Countryripple who was p*ssing and mouning? Breifne simply corrected CDID by saying UCD were missing one girl due to international duty not two and he then went on to say that it was nobody's fault but UCD's that they were relegated this yr... By correcting CDID Breifne was showing that there were no hard feeling about been relegated aimed towards anybody as UCD know that is pointless as they are the only people who could have stopped themselves been relegated but at the end of the day, they couldn't do that so they have to take things as they come in Div.1... They will Ihave no doubt fight throught out the coming here and be back up in premier asap.