PDA

View Full Version : Cork City v Bohs - RTE TV Coverage Terrible

Pages : [1] 2

pete
24/03/2006, 10:34 PM
- Preview & Review of match lastest combined less than 5 mionutes.
- George Hamilton clueless about players identify
- Live scores from other games incorrect & late.

Did they even have 3 cameras at the game?

Setanta much much better on probably smaller budget.

A face
25/03/2006, 12:19 AM
- Preview & Review of match lastest combined less than 5 mionutes.
- George Hamilton clueless about players identify
- Live scores from other games incorrect & late.

complaints@rte.ie

Its the only way they will know and can do anything about it, no language or abuse and you pay a TV licence.

sonofstan
25/03/2006, 1:00 AM

only spotted 2 - one in the middle of the main stand as per usual and one on a cherry picker where the shed used to be - maybe there was another one down the St. Annes end?

A face
25/03/2006, 2:04 AM
only spotted 2 - one in the middle of the main stand as per usual and one on a cherry picker where the shed used to be - maybe there was another one down the St. Annes end?

There was ... beside the goal on the grass.

Gareth
25/03/2006, 8:07 AM
Well TV3 showed the Shelbourne highlights and claimed that the second goal was the first and the first goal the second. They even had the reporter mess it up too who was talking over the goals???

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2006, 8:24 AM
Folks

How is it possible for their TV coverage of EL football to be as bad as their radio coverage is good?

-lamb-
25/03/2006, 9:32 AM
i watched this game last night and i have to say that bohs were by miles the better team. very unlucky to lose.
very surprised at how poor cork were. they were awful. the only good thing they did all match was the move that lead to their goal.
the coverage was ok, nothing great but not too dreadful. i wasnt really listening too much to the commentary though.

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2006, 9:39 AM
Bohs did everything but score. There was a possible handball incident involving a Cork player at the start of the move that led to the winning goal

Maz
25/03/2006, 10:02 AM
I only watched the 2nd half but even from that on chances alone, Bohs deserved to win the game.
Having said that, great goal by O'Flynn

harry crumb
25/03/2006, 11:03 AM
The coverage was ok, but nowhere near the standard of the radio coverage.

Setanta are really showing up RTE and TV3 for their poor production qualities that they have.

hoopy
25/03/2006, 11:12 AM
- - George Hamilton clueless about players identify

He does that whatever league he's commentating on. If a team has 2 black players in it he's totally confused:confused:

BohDiddley
25/03/2006, 3:18 PM
Agreed. Setanta seem to put more effort in.
But if we could get terrible coverage from RTE, but decent decisions from the officials, I'd be happy.
Clear handball that gave Cork their lucky break, and a clearly onside Wardy -- the only player who was ever going to score -- ruled off.

pete
25/03/2006, 4:55 PM
Its amazing how poor RTE2 coverage was considering live score updates on Aertel & RTE Radio 1. Setanta have had 5-6 cameras at their live Setanta Cup games. Very unprofessional by RTE but I suppose they've had things their own way for so long now.

At one stage Horgan was chasing Bohs player almost the length of the pick & dispite several opportunities to change his error he kept referring to him as Joe Gamble... The players don't look that similar.

Can you imagine them making the same mistakes for the Premiership?

:rolleyes:

I can see Setanta moving for full rights to the eL in the years to come as a prelude to the senior international rights.

BohDiddley
25/03/2006, 5:00 PM
Mark O'Brien was Kevin Hunt. Easy mistake. :p

pete
25/03/2006, 5:05 PM
Dan Murphy is Cork City captain. :rolleyes:

Softic was O''Callaghan - i'll give him that one...

mypost
26/03/2006, 6:12 AM
Its amazing how poor RTE2 coverage was considering live score updates on Aertel & RTE Radio 1. Very unprofessional by RTE.

Some people are stuck for stuff to complain about. Last year, they whinged that only games in Dublin were shown, now when games elsewhere are shown, the commentators come in for stick instead.

Give it a rest, will ye? :rolleyes:

A face
26/03/2006, 12:39 PM
Some people are stuck for stuff to complain about. Last year, they whinged that only games in Dublin were shown, now when games elsewhere are shown, the commentators come in for stick instead.

Its justified :( ..... they take a licence fee and should come in for abuse when coverage is this bad. I will agree with you to a point though, complaining on here will do nothing to change it, informing RTE of your discontent is the only way anything can ever possibly be done.

complaints@rte.ie

pete
26/03/2006, 12:45 PM
I sent complaint as RTE failed in their production guidelines as show was shabby & showed lack of preparation. Reply within 20 days. eL show latest 2 hours but Premiership on saturday afternoon had a whole extra 45 minutes. Complaint had nothing to do with Cork City...

I think RTEs days of irish sports dominance on the way out & soon they'll be stuck showing lawn bowls like BBC. They only have themselves to blame anyway.

mypost
26/03/2006, 3:03 PM
informing RTE of your discontent is the only way anything can ever possibly be done.

Like what actually? Next you'll whinge that they're not showing games at all.

they take a licence fee and should come in for abuse when coverage is this bad.

Do you know the names of all the league's players off the top of your head, because I can tell you I don't, and I go to games. RTE have covered our league for decades, they make a couple of mistakes once, and get crucified. I think it's a case of whinging for whinging's sake, really.

harry crumb
26/03/2006, 4:17 PM
Id let George Hamiton off in fairness cause he is usually excellent.

I just thought is was a lazy, cheap effort from RTE and they are being shown up by Setanta.

A face
26/03/2006, 4:32 PM

The amount at present is just about alright, another wouldn't go astray but i'm fine with it actually.

Do you know the names of all the league's players off the top of your head, because I can tell you I don't, and I go to games. RTE have covered our league for decades, they make a couple of mistakes once, and get crucified. I think it's a case of whinging for whinging's sake, really.

30 names per game .... and having to identify one player, you have a possible pool of five to choose from. And even then alot of player dont look the same. Loads of notice to sort this out and all the info just a request away, more than accessible.

But i totally agree with you, they would be allowed a few mistakes. Mypost .... i have to say my friend, that there is one other factor to be considered here ..... history, RTE have a long history of poor coverage, that for the most part starts people off. They have an up hill struggle to undo all the injustice they have shown our game, i dont envy them of that, but no matter what you say, RTE down through the years did themselves no favours so you cant expect other to just start handing them out.

That is all.

pete
26/03/2006, 5:18 PM
I just thought is was a lazy, cheap effort from RTE and they are being shown up by Setanta.

I'm glad i'm not the only one to see this. Hamilton displayed no interest in the commentary & you can be sure he will know all the Champions League players this week even the less familiar clubs.

Setanta were a bit dodgy last year but are improving no end. The difference is they are the underdogs & know need to be professional to progress.

My email did acknowledge the good coverage of RTE in the past but just queried why such a lazy effort on friday. I'm sure they'll come back with trademark "we cover loads of games lst year yada yada yada excuse..."

BohDiddley
27/03/2006, 10:50 AM

Don't see why it has to be either/or.
Of course the fact that they are showing Irish football at all is to be welcomed. But that doesn't mean that their quite consistent lapses shouldn't be commented on. If the national public service broadcaster can't get the names of players right when the national champions play The Big Club, and can't give accurate live scores without farcical errors from other matches, then they should expect criticism. Are we afraid that they are going to go into a sulk if we say anything? Call it constructive criticism.
Imagine if they called Damien Duff Frank Lampard.

Peadar
27/03/2006, 10:59 AM

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't see the game so I've only one thing to say to you...

...Roddy Collins did the analysis.

Macy
27/03/2006, 12:49 PM
Id let George Hamiton off in fairness cause he is usually excellent.
At what? Sure as hell isn't football commentary (or rugby where he clearly doesn't even know the rules).

Soko
27/03/2006, 1:14 PM

Do you get paid to know their names? Didn't think so.

roc_a_fella
27/03/2006, 1:18 PM
Harry Crumb are you having a laugh? I reckon George Hamilton never kicked a ball in his life at any level. How he gets to do so many big sports events on RTE is a mystery :confused:

gspain
27/03/2006, 1:21 PM
In fairness RTE's coverage is normally excellent. Friday night was hopefully a blip. Good to see games getting covered anyway. Nice to see domestic football on an RTE agenda.

monutdfc
27/03/2006, 1:25 PM
At what? Sure as hell isn't football commentary (or rugby where he clearly doesn't even know the rules).
Actually, George played at full-back for Methody in the Ulster Schools Cup (they weren't very good that year by his own admission)

Macy
27/03/2006, 1:50 PM
Actually, George played at full-back for Methody in the Ulster Schools Cup (they weren't very good that year by his own admission)
That doesn't alter the fact he doesn't know the rules.

sonofstan
27/03/2006, 2:03 PM

oh come on - mixing up a few fringe players names maybe, not recognising Georgie or Kevin Hunt? anyone with the faintest interest in the league knows those two, ergo GH desn't have the faintest interest.

NY Hoop
27/03/2006, 2:07 PM
Don't see why it has to be either/or.
Of course the fact that they are showing Irish football at all is to be welcomed. But that doesn't mean that their quite consistent lapses shouldn't be commented on. If the national public service broadcaster can't get the names of players right when the national champions play The Big Club, and can't give accurate live scores without farcical errors from other matches, then they should expect criticism. Are we afraid that they going to go into a sulk if we say anything? Call it constructive criticism.
Imagine if they called Damien Duff Frank Lampard.

Agree. Dont know who this big club is though.

Rtengland are a disgrace when it comes to the league. For years they completely ignored it. There is NO excuse for not getting players names right.

Sooner setanta have sole rights the better. Sick of rtenglands patronising approach...........

KOH

BohDiddley
27/03/2006, 2:14 PM
Dont know who this big club is though.
Gotcha! :D

Peadar
27/03/2006, 2:17 PM
Rtengland are a disgrace when it comes to the league. For years they completely ignored it.

I think it's only fair to make a distinction between RTÉ Television and RTÉ Radio because RTÉ Radio One must be commended on the job they do every week. They provide a service which is unrivalled and the people involved show a genuine interest in what they're doing.

Friday nights TV coverage was diabolical but we've come to accept that from RTÉ now. Even TG4 put them to shame!

Schumi
27/03/2006, 2:27 PM
Do you know the names of all the league's players off the top of your head, because I can tell you I don't, and I go to games.He's a professional commentator FFS. It's his job to know the players' names.

sullanefc
27/03/2006, 2:31 PM
Watched the Game in the pub, so I couldn't hear the commentary, but 5 mins analysis before and after was a poor effort in fairness.

What did impress me though, was the number of people they had covering the game - George Hamilton and Pat Morley in the commentary box, Darragh Moloney and Roddy doing analysis and Ger Canning doing interviews. Plus all the camera crew etc. Its a bit better than the commentators hosting and analysing that we got a few years ago. Sky even do that for non-premiership games.

The error with the Shels - Pats game was a disgrace though.

It came up... Pats 0 - 2 Shels, Rutherford, Molloy.

Even without the teamsheets (which I'm sure reporters at every game get) I thought there was something dodgy with that score line having seen the scorers.

Then.... Pats 0-3 Shels, Rutherford o.g., Molloy, Byrne

And Finally Pats 2-2 Shels, Score Correction

Someone said previousley that the guys on Radio 1 made the same errors which is surprising because they know their stuff and should be doing the TV Coverage for RTE.

BohDiddley
27/03/2006, 2:50 PM
I think it's only fair to make a distinction between RTÉ Television and RTÉ Radio because RTÉ Radio One must be commended on the job they do every week. They provide a service which is unrivalled and the people involved show a genuine interest in what they're doing.

Friday nights TV coverage was diabolical but we've come to accept that from RTÉ now. Even TG4 put them to shame!
Absolutely agree.
Radio One coverage is as good a football programme as you'll get anywhere.

jimhacker
27/03/2006, 3:21 PM
The late Michael O'Hehir (who I actually found quite irritating) used to learn off the colours of the jockeys in the Grand National so that he could call the names of the horses correctly as they passed.

It's called homework - and Mr. Hamilton could learn from this approach.

jimhacker
27/03/2006, 3:22 PM
And I'm glad now that i went to the game if only to avoid listening to that pompous pillock Canning!

pete
28/03/2006, 1:27 PM
RTE seem to use the same commentators for all sports. I don't mind if Hamliton is put on a non-irish rugby game but its disgraceful he given commentary on irish games as he does not know the game at all. Ger Canning also has no idea what soccer is.

I think there are good ways of making constructive criticism & I did point out in the email that RTE have been good in the past & that information required was provided by other RTE sources.

I think it was a waste bring Maloney & Collins down to Cork for the match & think Setanta do a better job of using more cameras & less analysers. In fact tv commentators can also be used for halftime analysis.

pete
30/03/2006, 5:28 PM
I got a response from RTE directly by someone working on the programme & while i won't copy the complete mail & i'll post up highlights when i get a chance...

I am pleasently surprised by the detail given in the reply even if i don't agree with some of it.

A face
30/03/2006, 6:43 PM
Chorus Sports had the extended highlights of the Bohs game tonight and the commentry was perfect, a bit in favour of Bohs at times but at least they read the game well. Didn't see RTE coverage and i hate to say it but i would be placing my bets that Chorus did a better job on this occasion.

The Soccer Show is on tomorrow night aswell with all the eL highlights, commentary and opinion, might have Rico in studio again !!

pete
06/04/2006, 11:12 AM
Heres a summary of the email i got from someone who worked on the tv programme...

- Programme was very short because orginal date for coverage was moved & had to squeeze in before a movie & couldn't move Desparate Housewives (repeat) show that was on later. FAI requested the match be shown & RTE Sport were happy to do it.
- Incorrect scores were down to newbie person (human error) with initial mistake compounded thereafter. OBUnit is smaller at the cross cos big one blocks traffic or something...
- Incorrect player identity can happen in the heat of the moment.
- Incorrect nationality was apparently the fault of a newspaper on matchday as said Softic was Serbian. Unfortunately commentator said he was Israeli, but of course he is Bosnian.

Make of that what you will although good to see took time to reply.

A face
06/04/2006, 1:20 PM
Heres a summary of the email i got from someone who worked on the tv programme...

- Programme was very short because orginal date for coverage was moved & had to squeeze in before a movie & couldn't move Desparate Housewives (repeat) show that was on later. FAI requested the match be shown & RTE Sport were happy to do it.
- Incorrect scores were down to newbie person (human error) with initial mistake compounded thereafter. OBUnit is smaller at the cross cos big one blocks traffic or something...
- Incorrect player identity can happen in the heat of the moment.
- Incorrect nationality was apparently the fault of a newspaper on matchday as said Softic was Serbian. Unfortunately commentator said he was Israeli, but of course he is Bosnian.

Make of that what you will although good to see took time to reply.

My reaction to that is they're a pack of bundling idiots, you'd forgive one or two mistakes, compounded or not. :rolleyes:

Bald Student
06/04/2006, 2:07 PM
- Programme was very short because orginal date for coverage was moved & had to squeeze in before a movie & couldn't move Desparate Housewives (repeat) show that was on later.That shows the low priority they gave the game but, once you accept that, the reasoning is somewhat understandable.

- Incorrect scores were down to newbie person (human error) with initial mistake compounded thereafter. OBUnit is smaller at the cross cos big one blocks traffic or something.Or as it is more commonly called, incompetance. What difference does it make if the person was new? How much experience do you need to take down a score correctly?

- Incorrect player identity can happen in the heat of the moment.And if it was an isolated mistake we would dismiss it as such but when it comes at the same time as many other simple mistakes we're entitled to call it incompetance.

- Incorrect nationality was apparently the fault of a newspaper on matchday as said Softic was Serbian. Unfortunately commentator said he was Israeli, but of course he is Bosnian.This is my favourite. RTE depend on the local paper for player information before they cover a game? The newspaper made a mistake and called the player Serbian and this caused the commentator to call him an Israeili?

pete
06/04/2006, 2:48 PM
This is my favourite. RTE depend on the local paper for player information before they cover a game? The newspaper made a mistake and called the player Serbian and this caused the commentator to call him an Israeili?

Unfortunately was a former Cork City player who got this incorrect... :(

BohDiddley
06/04/2006, 6:35 PM
If it's any consolation, they were repeatedly calling Leinster 'Ireland' the other day (when Leinster were playing 'France') .

pete
06/04/2006, 6:38 PM
If it's any consolation, they were repeatedly calling Leinster 'Ireland' the other day (when Leinster were playing 'France') .

Did you notice what/who both programmes had in common......?

A face
06/04/2006, 9:35 PM
Did you notice what/who both programmes had in common......?

No? .... do tell !! :)

pete
07/04/2006, 10:33 AM
No? .... do tell !! :)

George Hamilton. Without exaggeration he said Ireland instead of Leinster at least 10 times in first 20 minutes of Leinster Toulouse match. Must be losing it with age or something... He then gave excuse that so many irish players on the pitch - no sh!t it was an irish team afterall :rolleyes:

RTE need some new commentating blood as George is supposed to their A list.