PDA

View Full Version : No Eircom League on the internet

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 5:09 PM
I'm abroad again and I had this problem last year and it's hit me again. RTE only offer FM to listen to on the internet therefore denying ex-pats and other Irish abroad as well as the odd foreigner the chance to listen to eL. Would others care to bombard RTE with e-mails either asking them to offer MW on the internet? It's not really acceptable that the likes of Farm Weekly are offered online instead of football. Couldn't do the eL any harm to be available on the global medium of the internet.

Gareth
24/03/2006, 5:24 PM
Shelbourne have online commentary for all our home games available. I know its not the entire Eircom League but its one option more!!!

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 5:26 PM
Cheers Gareth. Yeah, I know there's regional stations that do individual clubs like Ocean with Sligo and there's the new Shels thing, but to not be able to get the real deal online is a bit crap for the league in my opinion. RTE have it within their capability to switch over the net broadcast to MW when they deem it significant. If we start an e-mail campaign we may get them to do it.

Gareth
24/03/2006, 5:32 PM
I can guarentee regular score updates from the eircom league being mentioned during the Shels ones but after that I cant help. :)

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 5:35 PM
I can guarentee regular score updates from the eircom league being mentioned during the Shels ones but after that I cant help. :)

Thanks Gareth. Just noticed you're not playing at home tonight! Great initiative though.

Louth4sam
24/03/2006, 5:36 PM
Yeah Dundalk FM do the dundalk matches so you'll be able to listen in on Monday poor student

pete
24/03/2006, 5:39 PM
I know Shelstalk aka Newstalk don't have live commentary anymore but you would probably get live match updates as the evening progresses...

RTE Radio is excellent on friday nights though.

Gareth
24/03/2006, 5:41 PM
Pete if Newstalk is Shelstalk, then Foot should be renamed Shoot.

We actually would of had commentary from Pats Poor Student but they had no facilities available for interwebbing.

Cant even do normal Updates tonight

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 5:46 PM
The thing I can't figure out. Newstalk used to do Dublin clubs but they had to stop due to RTE having the rights. Why are local radio stations allowed to broadcast other clubs? Isn't Newstalk just a local Dublin station like Ocean FM or Dundalk FM?

Dick Long
24/03/2006, 5:57 PM
Poor Stu - wlrfm.com should have updates from the Blues/UCD match tonight and for future reference from next week (Bohs away) thye plan live coverage of all Waterford United away games.

pete
24/03/2006, 5:59 PM
RTE does not know what happens outside the pale.

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 6:00 PM
Poor Stu - wlrfm.com should have updates from the Blues/UCD match tonight and for future reference from next week (Bohs away) thye plan live coverage of all Waterford United away games.

Good stuff, thanks Dick! Why can't you cover your home games though?:(

Pete, I was expecting an answer like that, but surely it's not as simple as that, is it?

BohDiddley
24/03/2006, 6:24 PM
Doesn't UCD have a radio station?

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 6:32 PM
Doesn't UCD have a radio station?

Belfield FM broadcasts for only a few weeks a year and is just an experimental thing for would be DJs and the likes.

BohDiddley
24/03/2006, 6:38 PM
You could try newstalk 106.

Edit... if you can stand their guru coverage of EPL and Serie A.
This from the other day: 'Newcastle are an English team, er, ... Soloaa is practically English. He's lived here for years.'

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 6:41 PM
You could try newstalk 106.

I'm gonna stick with the Waterford channel. I've tried Newstalk before and it's been fairly crap.

But yeah, I'm making a general point here about no RTE coverage online. Anyone interested in persuading them to change this?

RĂ©iteoir
24/03/2006, 7:44 PM
We tried last season - but RTE said they cannot put the MW feed of the games on the net due to "Broadcasting Rights"

Whatever that means - I feel it's a cop out

Dick Long
24/03/2006, 9:18 PM
The reason not to cover the home games live is because the majority of the market for it would be at the game.

derrymac
24/03/2006, 9:36 PM
also, why does rte radio have to cover the same match as rte television? Surelythey could manage to cover a different match or do you think the tv people didnt tell the radio ones they would be there as well?
Sounds like the Brandywell was the place to be tonight.

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2006, 8:28 AM
Poor student

There is an Eircom League hour on Newstalk on Saturday afternoon's from 3-4 p.m. Irish time. And usually RTE Radio 1 has their one on between from 2-3 so that would give you summaries and interviews with some of the main people involved in all the games including UCD .

Schumi
27/03/2006, 1:23 PM
Yeah Dundalk FM do the dundalk matches so you'll be able to listen in on Monday poor student
Is there any chance of getting that in Dublin? What frequency is it?