PDA

View Full Version : O'Driscoll named RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship

Over the post
23/03/2006, 4:59 PM
From www.rbs6nations.com

After picking up the inaugural Triple Crown Trophy Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll will be lifting yet another award in 2006, after being named as the RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship.

This year's RBS 6 Nations was one of the most hotly-contested for years, which made choosing a Player of the Championship even harder.

This year the accolade was chosen by fans logging on to the official RBS 6 Nations Championship website www.rbs6nations.com.

Fans were asked to select their dream team from every player involved in the Championship after each weekend.

When a player was selected for the weekend's dream team it counted towards a final total for each player.

Over 10,000 votes were cast for O'Driscoll throughout the tournament to win Player of the Championship

And O'Driscoll said: ''It's a great honour to be named RBS Player of the Championship especially as this is voted for by rugby fans.

"This award caps a tremendous RBS 6 Nations for Ireland whilst we missed out on the title only on points difference, to pick up the Triple Crown at Twickenham was very special.

"I would like to thank the fans for voting and my team mates as it is as much a vote for them as for me.''

Was this another rigged vote by any chance? He had a very solid six nations although somewhat quiet by his standards (except for the second half in Paris). Surely others had a bigger impact...

pete
23/03/2006, 5:08 PM
I must say i've always found that a terrible website as content is fairly poor.

beautifulrock
23/03/2006, 6:38 PM
poor website indeed, but well done BOD, a class act does the work of two very good men

DmanDmythDledge
23/03/2006, 6:42 PM
Don't think he was the best player in the Championship. Defensively he was excellent, but we didn't see any of the line breaks that you would expect of him. I thought the best players in this years Six Nations were White, Bergamasco and Flannery.

jbyrne
23/03/2006, 7:10 PM
Don't think he was the best player in the Championship. Defensively he was excellent, but we didn't see any of the line breaks that you would expect of him. I thought the best players in this years Six Nations were White, Bergamasco and Flannery.

and honourable mentions to paul o'connell and shane horgan. two class acts

DmanDmythDledge
23/03/2006, 8:10 PM
I forgot about O'Connell:o

Superhoops
23/03/2006, 11:52 PM
Steve Thompson was class
Class what exactly?

finlma
24/03/2006, 8:46 AM
A bit of a farce of a vote really. BOD had a decent championship but didn't exactly set the world on fire. I'd have said all of the following had a better Championship:

Nyanga
Fritz
Horgan
O'Connell
Wallace
Flannery
Birgimasco
Bortalami
Jason White
Hogg

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/03/2006, 8:57 AM
Bergamasco would be my player of the tournament. Dricco had a good championship but I'd have O'Connell, Wallace and Horgan ahead of him.

joeSoap
24/03/2006, 9:30 AM
I'd say Glenda got to the judges myself.....;)

Stuttgart88
24/03/2006, 9:32 AM
I think that award going to BOD is like Lampard being second best soccer player in the world. The glamour players always get the accolades ahead of those who really deserve them in my opinion. Would the REAL player of the tournament have given such a shocking pass to D'Arcy?

Not a major complaint, mind :)

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/03/2006, 9:44 AM
Steve Thompson was class

Steve Thompson = Prime British beef.:D
Apparently, when Ireland beat England in Twickenham two years ago, O'Connell gave Thompson a lot of stick. When Thompson was throwing into the lineout, O'Connell kept shouting at him: "Throw it to me ya wh0rebag"! Thompson completely lost his concentration and the English lineout collapsed.
Jerry Flannery's response to Thompson's antics was priceless last weekend: "That's twice you've done that...you fat cnut.":D

londonirish17
24/03/2006, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=TheJamaicanP.M.]Steve Thompson = Prime British beef.:D
Apparently, when Ireland beat England in Twickenham two years ago, O'Connell gave Thompson a lot of stick. When Thompson was throwing into the lineout, O'Connell kept shouting at him: "Throw it to me ya wh0rebag"!

On that particular day, I remember the French TV comentator calling him "Le Pizzaïolo" for his throwing was disatreous.

Ass for the award, I thought of Nyanga, Flannery, BOD, O'Connor, Bergamasco, Parisse, Hogg, Ross, Hall, Lamont.

finlma
24/03/2006, 10:59 AM
Ass for the award, I thought of Nyanga, Flannery, BOD, O'Connor, Bergamasco, Parisse, Hogg, Ross, Hall, Lamont.

My Ass Award would have gone to Andy Robinson and none of the above :p

Dodge
24/03/2006, 10:59 AM
O'Driscoll suffers from being so good. He's not as outstanding as in previous years but he was never less than excellent (note I didnt see French game...)

For me Bergamasco won hands down.

Oh and Steve Thompson is crap.

pete
24/03/2006, 11:27 AM
Bergamasco was impressive & i suppose scoring 3 tries with wooden team would make him a contender. Then again this was voted on the web which irish people own...

drinkfeckarse
24/03/2006, 1:10 PM
Jerry Flannery's response to Thompson's antics was priceless last weekend: "That's twice you've done that...you fat cnut.":D

Nearly ****ed myself when I heard that on the box at the time!

CollegeTillIDie
26/03/2006, 9:06 PM
O'Driscoll is a great player but I agree with a previous poster. His best work this 6 Nations Championship was defensively.

Jerry The Saint
27/03/2006, 2:39 PM
From www.rbs6nations.com

Fans were asked to select their dream team from every player involved in the Championship after each weekend.

When a player was selected for the weekend's dream team it counted towards a final total for each player.

Leaving aside that web polls will always favour the more well-known players that's a crazy way to pick the player of the tournament.:eek:

O'Driscoll is the best player in his position in the world so was always likely to be on most people's teams. And it seems that a vote after the first week has the same weight as a vote given at the end of the tournament. For an award that's supposed to pick the best player over the whole 7 weeks:confused: