PDA

View Full Version : Ex GUFC players: whatever happened to...

Ranger
23/03/2006, 3:16 PM
Off the top of my head.......are they still involved in football???
Tommy Keane
Dennis Bonner
John Mannion
Colm Mc Gonnigle
Fergal Coleman
Gerry Mullan
Donnie Farragher
Aubrey Dolan
Derek Rodgers
Tommy Lally
Adrian Cregg
Ronan Klleen
Peter Carpenter
Ricky O' Flaherty
Noel Mernagh
Fergal O' Neill
Barry Ryan

Kevin Cassidy

gufct
23/03/2006, 3:45 PM
[QUOTE=Ranger]Off the top of my head.......are they still involved in football???
Tommy Keane - Still living in Galway havent seen him in an age
Dennis Bonner - Living at home in Keadue.Getting an award at the Black Tie Ball
John Mannion - Living in Navan.Last seen on the bench for the cup semi final
Colm Mc Gonnigle - Working in Letterkenny.Very involved still with Fanad.
Fergal Coleman - Last heard of was teaching Engish in the far east.
Gerry Mullan - Still living in Galway see him in High Street between the Bookies and Murphy's or Freeneys
Donnie Farragher - Still Living in Galway and working for Nestle
Aubrey Dolan - Living in Dublin
Derek Rodgers - Living in Annaghdown and works in Athenry.At every home game.
Tommy Lally - Living in Corrib Park and can be seen in Terryland with "The Experts"
Adrian Cregg - I think he is working in Oranmore in a Leisure Centre
Ronan Klleen - Lives and Works in Loughrea.
Peter Carpenter - Owns a load of Shops in Galway.
Ricky O' Flaherty - Part Time Fireman and I think he works for Elwoods as well.
Noel Mernagh - still working in O'Hallorans havent seen him in years
Fergal O' Neil - Living and working in the USA.l
Barry Ryan - Last time I heard he was still playing junior soccer in Limerick.
Kevin Cassidy- Kempes is also getting an award at the Black & White Ball.Legend!!!!!

Paddyfield
23/03/2006, 9:55 PM
Wow gufct, you have your finger on thee pulse there.

Let's put you to the test.... where are the following players?

Darragh Sheridan?

Declan Sheridan? (who was a better player than his over rated brud)

Joey Malone?

Conor Killeen? (he had the ability to go to the top but failed)

G? (the leg bender)

Llewelin Reilly? (now we're talking a true legend)

Garreth Beatty?

Joey Power? (one of the craziest keepers ever....LEGEND)

Ollie Cunningham (dodgy dodgy....nevermind. Next?)

Super Pa?

Hilda? (I can't remeber his real name)

Keith Lambert? (the best Dub to ever play for us)

John Cleary?

And of course Ski?

Paddyfield
23/03/2006, 9:56 PM
Just spotted a typo.

The 2nd onw should be DECLAN Sheridan.

Terry
23/03/2006, 10:29 PM
Could be wrong with half of these put for what I know:

Darragh Sheridan- still running that coarse in the UCD for players returning from england that didnt make it in football

Declan Sheridan-still living in galway

Joey Malone-manager of either some LSL or MSL team

Conor Killeen- Living in the USA

G- coach for sligo rovers

Llewelin Reilly- playing in the MLS in the USA

Garreth Beatty_ player/secretary of renmore fc, recent dad

Joey Power-

Ollie Cunningham-

Super Pa- selling lotto tickets as always!!!!

Hilda-

Keith Lambert-

John Cleary- another expert with Tommy lally

And of course Ski- private driver for galway taxis (does the G hotel runs)

DonO'Bate
23/03/2006, 11:49 PM
Could be wrong with half of these put for what I know:

Darragh Sheridan- still running that coarse in the UCD for players returning from england that didnt make it in football

Declan Sheridan-still living in galway

Joey Malone-manager of either some LSL or MSL team

Conor Killeen- Living in the USA

G- coach for sligo rovers

Llewelin Reilly- playing in the MLS in the USA

Garreth Beatty_ player/secretary of renmore fc, recent dad

Joey Power-

Ollie Cunningham-

Super Pa- selling lotto tickets as always!!!!

Hilda-

Keith Lambert-

John Cleary- another expert with Tommy lally

And of course Ski- private driver for galway taxis (does the G hotel runs)

Hilda Ogden - remember his miss in the Cup against Athlone Town a few seasons ago. Last I heard of him he was plying his trade up the North with Portadown.

Keith Lambert - last I heard he was living and working in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Bono_Keane
24/03/2006, 9:55 PM
And....

Marco Rapetti?
Robbie Forde?
Sean Murphy?
Tony Folan?
Mark Herrick?
Aidan Forde?
Damien Dupuy? (He left UCD)
Mark Cobey?
Sean Malee?

P.d: What about Juan Rojas? I know he´s playing with United and he´s spanish...I´m Spanish too...What do you Know about him?

Terry
24/03/2006, 10:45 PM
Marco Rapetti- back in italy
Robbie Forde- plays for athlone town
Sean Murphy-
Tony Folan- not playing, still living in galway
Mark Herrick-plays for renmore fc
Aidan Forde-not playing, still living in galway
Damien Dupuy-playing in the swiss league
Mark Cobey- training with galway hibs
Sean Malee- back in galway but dont know what he is doing at the moment

Sandro
26/03/2006, 9:25 AM
Marco Rapetti was in Cobh for a while, got a job there and trained with local team, don't knowwhether Ramblers or some non league side. By the way, 18 year Italian trialist Giovanni Mellone who trained with United's reserves last month is still in Galway but after only two running sessions (and no ball at all!) nobody called him again. He said he found it very hard to find where and when to train, his link being only a teammate's phone number. Maybe he was not good enough, maybe he arrived at a bad time, lots of confusion he said, I don't know. The other trialist, Daniele, is still willing to have a try with United in July but Giovanni reports didn't help him to hurry up.
Back to ex players, where's Ollie Neary? Maybe you already mentioned but I am not very familiar with nicknames(so who are G, SuperPa and Ski?) Does anybody know about ex Shel and Hoops Liam Costello? Is still involved with football, was he any good?

Conor H
26/03/2006, 10:03 AM
Sean Murphy plays for Salthill now.

Paddyfield
26/03/2006, 7:48 PM
G is Gareth Gorman (brother of Harps manager)

Ski is Paul McGee, GUFC's all time top goalscorer, or so he likes to tell everyone

Super Pa is Pa (or Patrick) Dunne hence the Foot.ie member who uses the name Patrick Dunne Pa was the original legend. He could turn on a sixpence and could run 100 meters in ten seconds. His farts smelled of perfume. He could charm the ******** of a nun. He is the best sports person ever to come out of Tuam. The world needs more Pa's.

PS The John Cleary I origianlly referred to was the defender who won a FAI Cup medal in 1991 and NOT billy Clery's dad. John Cleary was an unsuccessful manager at Longford and Kilkenny but he was a smashing player.

Ollie Neary still shows up in Terryland from time to time.

Terry
27/03/2006, 10:01 AM
The real Patrick Dunne is a postman now.

Ollie Neary coaches Mervue United

Sandro
27/03/2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks

gufct
28/03/2006, 9:27 AM
works in Dublin and plays for Trinity Corinthians I saw his photo in the Junior Section of the Star about 3 weeks ago.

DonO'Bate
28/03/2006, 2:43 PM
Ogden scored in the Irish Cup Final last year for Larne against i think it was Portadown (not Sure) ! Great Goal ! He told me one or two stories about his time in Galway ! ;) Found of the Bookies and the Women and liked to have a pint but not a big drinker ! I think when he was with ye he still lived in Sligo and travelled down on a Friday night at least at the begaining he did ! I think you used to put him up in a hotel out in Salthill where either there was Disco in the hotel or beside it and always seem (and i believe him to be honest) have a story about some bird he would have pulled on the friday night down there where he would go in for 3 or 4 pints !! But would never put it in on the pitch even though he had loads of Football in him, so i am guessing where that is where got the name Hilda from ?

As far Peter Carpenter Really top bloke and good footballer glad to hear he is doing well for himself down there !

Ogden got his name from Hilda Ogden a character in Coronation Street. Hilda and her husband Stan were two of the Streets more colourful characters. He certainly didn't earn it for his capacity to pull birds!

galwaygirl
28/03/2006, 3:03 PM
I think you used to put him up in a hotel out in Salthill where either there was Disco in the hotel or beside it and always seem (and i believe him to be honest) have a story about some bird he would have pulled on the friday night down there where he would go in for 3 or 4 pints !
That has to be Bogarts Niteclub. There was a couple of rooms upstairs over it where a few of the players used to stay. At the time "The River Inn" were our official pub sponsors and the owner of it had Bogarts as well.

The memories you're after bringing back there for me Rogue Trader and just for the record i'm not one of "The Birds" you were referring to in your post :D

Dodge
28/03/2006, 3:12 PM
Lads if any of ye ever see O'Flaherty, Carpenter or Mernagh say hello from all Pats fans. O'Flaherty in particular is still loved. Actually if anyone has any contact details for the 3 lads can you PM me.

Cheers

gufct
28/03/2006, 4:04 PM
and a hell of a good player if you ever see him tell him hes welcome back anytime.

DonO'Bate
28/03/2006, 10:20 PM
LOL Galway Girl !!!! ;)

No just thought you might have put Hilda on Oggy because well he you could never accuse him of Flying into tackles !

Well, he may have scored off the pitch with United but he never scored on the pitch for United. I will always remember him for his miss against Athlone Town in the Cup. At the time I made the long journey from London to St. Mels. Park to watch Hilda dribble twice around the Athlone goal keeper before failing to score!!

JW.
28/03/2006, 10:48 PM
Hilda was a lovely player, didn't seem the most motivated. Aubrey was a very nice fellow, not physically strong enough for this level IMHO. Tony Folan was one of the most talented players I've ever seen; what a pity he isn't playing.
Fergal Coleman was a great man to have in Division 1, and a nice fella as well.
Gareth Gorman had the best left foot in Europe - nay - the world.

Metrostars
29/03/2006, 1:26 PM
Where's Johnny Glynn these days?
Also...
Chick Deasy
Declan McIntyre
Jumbo
Martin McDonald
Paul Reidy
Jimmy Laffy

And I remember the nickname Hilda but it's been so long, I cant match the player to the name???

GalwayFrancis
29/03/2006, 2:40 PM
Jumbo

sure jumbo is the physio now, youll see him at every game!

Terry
29/03/2006, 2:45 PM
Chick Deacy is still playing for the west utd reserve team at the age of 54!! Absolute Legend !!!:)
Johnny Glynn is training the u-21 team
Paul Reidy is coaching Salthill Devon after a fairly successful season with galway hibs inwhich he guided them into the senior FAI cup 2nd round.

Terry
29/03/2006, 2:49 PM
sure jumbo is the physio now, youll see him at every game!

not when hes living in the USA! Are you changing your name to red bull whatever, metrostar?

GalwayFrancis
29/03/2006, 2:52 PM
not when hes living in the USA!

america? for anyone who doesnt know Jumbo Brennan, have a look at:
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/images/players/1stteam2005/html/10700006.html

Terry
29/03/2006, 2:54 PM

im saying that its metrostars thats living in america, not jumbo!

GalwayFrancis
29/03/2006, 2:55 PM
im saying that its metrostars thats living in america, not jumbo!
ah yea, that would make sense Terry!

Tribesman
29/03/2006, 3:01 PM
J Glynn and J Brennan feature in the club directory

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/club_directory.html

Metrostars
29/03/2006, 3:09 PM

I miss the Kevin Keegan(circa 1980) look :p

Metrostars
29/03/2006, 3:19 PM
Chick Deacy is still playing for the west utd reserve team at the age of 54!! Absolute Legend !!!:)

Agree. Chick was my favourite all time GUFC player.

Dont get up to Terryland much these days. Only once every few years in fact when I'm back. I'll be back for a short holiday in a few weeks but unfortunately the team's schedule wont allow me to see them on this trip.

Are you changing your name to red bull whatever, metrostar?

Nah, I'll be keeping Metrostars. Heading down to GS on Sunday week for the first game of the season. With Red Bull now in charge, they are getting very gimmicky. Check out whats on tap for the home opener:

The Red Bull Energy Station ...Motocross Big Air Demo ...BMX Flatland Demo, a breakdancing exhibition and multiple FIFA Street Video Game Stations...The skydivers jump from the aircraft, freefall for a few seconds, and then deploy their parachutes, all while igniting smoke bombs, which allows everyone on the ground to see the dynamic arcs they carve through the sky. Once they skydivers land in Giants Stadium, they will deliver the ball to the game officials.

FFS!
http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20060328&content_id=54643&vkey=pr_rbn&fext=.jsp&team=rbn

Terry
29/03/2006, 3:24 PM
you know how in baseball they have (or used to have) days for the kids where it would be bring a bat day or whatever? Well redbull should make it interesting and had a "bring a pellet gun day" and anybody that gets one of the skydivers in the ass gets a years supply of red bull !!!:D

Gaillimh Al
29/03/2006, 5:32 PM
Jimmy Laffey drives a hackney in Galway. One of the most gifted players the town has produced.