PDA

View Full Version : Pats for Richmond

desaintsno.12
23/03/2006, 10:35 AM
Pats For Richmond is a new grouping of Pats fans, whose purpose we hope is self-explanatory. We intend lobbying both inside the club, among the fan base and among the general public to achieve this objective.

The following open letter has been sent to the club Board.

OPEN LETTER TO THE BOARD OF ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC F.C.

Dear Board,

Pats For Richmond is a group of St. Patrick’s Athletic fans that has come together because of a shared concern about the future of the club we support.

In particular, we are committed to the principle that the best future of the club lies in continuing the development of Richmond Park, the traditional home with which the club is identified.

We wish to strongly refute the recent statement to the media by Stephen Connolly, Secretary of the club, in which he stated that members of the club’s Patrons Scheme felt that “the principle of groundsharing is not a bad one.” All of us attended the recent Patrons Scheme meeting and the overwhelming mood of the meeting was NOT in favour of groundsharing - the clear preference was to maintain and develop Richmond Park.

Arising from our concerns, we have a number of questions to which we would like the club to provide definitive, unambiguous answers in the match programme, through the media, or both.

Specifically:

* Do the Board agree that development of Richmond Park is a viable long-term proposal?

* Has the club conducted detailed research into the cost of developing Richmond Park and if so, will they share that information with supporters?

* Have any formal discussions been requested by any third party regarding the possibility of playing home games anywhere other than Richmond Park?

* Have the club entered into discussions with any third party, either at the request of others or on the club’s own initiative, regarding the same possibility and if so, what was the nature of those discussions?

* Would the Board decide to play home games anywhere other than Richmond Park if that was against the clearly expressed wishes of the majority of supporters?

We believe that we represent the views of the majority of St. Patrick’s Athletic fans. We are not hostile to the Board and this open letter should not be viewed as an attack on the Board, but instead, it should be seen as a reflection of our concern and support for the club we love.

Yours...

Raheny Red
23/03/2006, 10:48 AM
Just a quick question about the ground tomorrow;

Will the whole ground be open or just the main stand:confused:

Danny
23/03/2006, 10:50 AM
Main Stand, Camac & Shed will be open tomorrow according to the club.
Dunno wha state they'll be in but thats what they're saying....

pineapple stu
23/03/2006, 12:39 PM
Best of luck with it.

I firmly believe that groundsharing is wrong. There's no basis for it in Genesis - it just outs and says "it's good". There's never been anything to justify it. The amount of money it would take from the Government to fully upgrade the 22 eL stadia to UEFA Licencing griteria would probably be spent in a month or two on horse racing subsidies.

higgins
23/03/2006, 12:48 PM
The amount of money it would take from the Government to fully upgrade the 22 eL stadia to UEFA Licencing griteria would probably be spent in a month or two on horse racing subsidies

and the amount of money horse racing brings back compared to the eircom league is the same is it?

Its great to see the hotels of longford booked out with the 10's and 10's of welsh fans coming over for the UEFA Cup and like the time Dublin was awash with 7 lads from Malta in the Champions League!! :)

pineapple stu
23/03/2006, 12:50 PM
and the amount of money horse racing brings back compared to the eircom league is the same is it?
I never said that. My point is that it's not as if the Government simply can't afford to help clubs improve their grounds - in fact, the outlay would be fairly minimal, especially as it'd be largely once-off.

stickyjoe
23/03/2006, 12:58 PM
Totally agree with you Pineapple about the groundsharing here. I can`t justify groundsharing here at the expenses of knocking down Tolka/Richmond. These are another 2 eircom league grounds in dublin been knocked down for the developers. We`ll be left with just Dalymount,Belfield and Tallaght in Dublin. And from reading the Independent yday it sounds like the GAA are doing all in their power to get their hands on Tallaght as well.

Dont agree about the government, while they should give some backing its up to our clubs to do more to become self sustainable and develop stadiums ourselves(wishful thinking i know).

best of luck to the Pats fans

desaintsno.12
23/03/2006, 12:59 PM
higgins :mad: if they did spend that money on the grounds do you not think then maybe things would improve and we would see the el in turn bring in more money

Cosmo
23/03/2006, 1:02 PM
Could work out all in shels favour!

From reading the bohs mb and talking to a few bohs supporters, that chances are that Bohs won't be letting them into Dalyer. Wouldn't be surprised to see them out in Tallaght??

How much would it cost to bring inchicore up to uefa a standard (and is it possible)?

BohDiddley
23/03/2006, 1:29 PM
I firmly believe that groundsharing is wrong. There's no basis for it in Genesis - it just outs and says "it's good". There's never been anything to justify it. The amount of money it would take from the Government to fully upgrade the 22 eL stadia to UEFA Licencing griteria would probably be spent in a month or two on horse racing subsidies.
My thoughts exactly.
Cue chorus of self-defeating 'realists' and 'pragmatists' who buy into the status quo that has football as the permanent poor relation. Good luck to the Richmond rebels. Pats deserve a proper stadium of their own.

Dodge
23/03/2006, 1:32 PM
Honestly not that much Cosmo. We're in the middle of spending approx €700K on ground improvements. Most of the basic work is there and the setting/size is fine. I'd guess that given €2 million we could make Richmond into 6,000 all seater stadium with all mod cons

pete
23/03/2006, 2:20 PM
Please try & keep this theard on topic as there is already a ground sharing thread. This thread should be about Pats for Richmond group...

WeAreRovers
23/03/2006, 3:00 PM
Please try & keep this theard on topic as there is already a ground sharing thread. This thread should be about Pats for Richmond group...

......which is about proposed groundsharing. Isn't that why they've set up Pats for Richmond? Sometimes the on-topic policing on here goes way OTT.

KOH

Dodge
23/03/2006, 3:05 PM
FFS pete...

pete
23/03/2006, 3:08 PM
There is already a thread on ground shraing in eL forum & this had already drifted off into Bohs & Shels groundshare issues.. Then again this not my section...

Anto McC
23/03/2006, 4:30 PM
I have to say fair play to the Pats for Richmond group and best of luck in your efforts!!

You lads stand to lose the most from the groundsharing idea!!!

south sligo red
23/03/2006, 4:55 PM
Best of luck pats fans. richmond is one of the great irish football stadiums and i hope it stays that way for many years to come.

higgins
23/03/2006, 4:55 PM
higgins :mad: if they did spend that money on the grounds do you not think then maybe things would improve and we would see the el in turn bring in more money

Going on the track record of the clubs and how they have spent the previous monies I wouldnt think they all wont be back for another handout in X amount of years time.

Just seems to be a lack of helping yourself in the EL and comparing it with horse racing is a non runner :D

Im not all on for groundsharing either and would hate Shels moving into dalymount. My first choice would be for Shels to get a site big enough to house more then just a pokey little pitch and 4 stands. Same goes for everyone else in the league.

Pats staying in Richmond has its own restrictions as Im sure they are aware and although it does for now if the league is to become as popular as what the FAI say it might then putting money into Tolka and Richmond is not the way forward.

Not against any team having their own ground, Id love us all to have our own but putting money into grounds that are never going to be anything but hassle has to be looked at.

Billy Lord
23/03/2006, 5:05 PM
Best of luck to the Pats' fans, because there really is no place like home. Good to see fans taking the initiative rather than waiting for things to happen - Shels' fans take heed.

higgins
23/03/2006, 5:12 PM
Best of luck to the Pats' fans, because there really is no place like home. Good to see fans taking the initiative rather than waiting for things to happen - Shels' fans take heed.

So the meetings held in Tolka discussion the ground sharing options where what exactly?

I believe Pats are trying to get answers to their future ?
Shels already got the answers from Ollie in those supporters meetings and through talking to the man himself.

The fact Ollie owns shels and can more or less do what he likes is somewhat lost on you.

I know you go to Shelsweb Billy Lord so Im somewhat amazed you can come out with that ****.

bad mongo
23/03/2006, 6:06 PM
So the meetings held in Tolka discussion the ground sharing options where what exactly?

I believe Pats are trying to get answers to their future ?
Shels already got the answers from Ollie in those supporters meetings and through talking to the man himself.

The fact Ollie owns shels and can more or less do what he likes is somewhat lost on you.

I know you go to Shelsweb Billy Lord so Im somewhat amazed you can come out with that ****.

Ollie may own Shels but some minimal sleuthing by some of your more mature/intelligent fans would uncover
the mess you are in . May I suggest the Dublin City Development Plan 2005-2011 and related planning documents re: area action plans as a starting point. Ollie's crock of gold from the sale of Tolka is far from guaranteed. Ollie has gambled big and your endgame is drawing nearer.If you survive it will be as junior partners in Tallaght or tenants in Dalymount Park. I don't say this out of malice but from an examination of the information available in the public realm. I suggest anyone serious about the future of your club to start digging...

BohDiddley
23/03/2006, 7:23 PM
......which is about proposed groundsharing. Isn't that why they've set up Pats for Richmond? Sometimes the on-topic policing on here goes way OTT.
KOH
Agreed. Groundsharing is an issue that directly affects four Dublin clubs which some would like to see Corked into two. It's a mite difficult to speak about one club in isolation.
Pete, do you go around at parties wearing a special armband, telling people not to have separate conversations? :confused: The fact that it's not your thread makes it worse, not better!

Buller
23/03/2006, 8:22 PM
Richmond has easily enough room to bring it up to uefa standard and would only costin the region of €2m which is fairly cheap...
i for one would be very disappointed to see richmond turned into apartments, hang on to it at ALL costs!:o

BohsFans
23/03/2006, 8:27 PM
Best of luck to Pat's, good idea and I hope it works out for them in Richmond.

btw what ever happened to that Derry City pressure group, re: the Brandywell?

pineapple stu
23/03/2006, 8:39 PM
Don't agree about the government, while they should give some backing it's up to our clubs to do more to become self sustainable and develop stadiums ourselves(wishful thinking i know).
Not saying the Government should just build the grounds for the clubs - they should provide a percentage of grant aid, as they do - but some people will have you believe that the Government simply have no interest in even partially funding 22 grounds, when it's quite clear that in reality, the money required wouldn't be hugely significant in the greater scheme of things.

Student Mullet
23/03/2006, 9:22 PM
Ollie may own Shels but some minimal sleuthing by some of your more mature/intelligent fans would uncover
the mess you are in . May I suggest the Dublin City Development Plan 2005-2011 and related planning documents re: area action plans as a starting point.Didn't the shel's fanzine do something like that and then clamb up after a meeting with Ollie?

MariborKev
23/03/2006, 11:21 PM
btw what ever happened to that Derry City pressure group, re: the Brandywell?

In the words of one of my least admired politicians, we haven't gone away you know.

Regular letters in the local press, appearances on local media, banners at the game, meetings with councillors etc.

The club have a consortium talking to the council trying to broker a deal.

Cosmo
24/03/2006, 7:27 AM
Alot of coverage in todays papers on the pats pressure group!! Saw a decent piece in the mail and its the main back page story in the metro :eek: !

Dodge
24/03/2006, 9:34 AM
http://rapidshare.de/files/16290079/za_pats.pdf

Back page of Metro

Dodge
24/03/2006, 1:37 PM
Huge write up in the daily mail. Their only piece on the league, a full page.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16303757/za_mail.pdf

BohDiddley
24/03/2006, 1:45 PM
Brilliant. Great to see that the groundshare lobby isn't having it all its own way.

Poor Student
24/03/2006, 2:20 PM
Fair play to all the lads involved and best of luck to them.

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2006, 8:58 AM

Are you including the VAT on Petfood then? :D

CollegeTillIDie
25/03/2006, 8:58 AM
Fair play to all the lads involved and best of luck to them.
I'd like to endorse Poor Student's support of Pats For Richmond!

pete
25/03/2006, 4:33 PM
Horse & Dog racing are an industry not a sport. Funding for those industries should not be included with other sports funding,

Raheny Red
25/03/2006, 11:05 PM
The only thing Richmond has got going for itself at the moment are the new toilets - they have hand dryers ;) :D

thejollyrodger
26/03/2006, 1:48 PM
Im sick of all this ground share talk with Shels and Bohs. Dalyer is past its day no matter what history is there. It might be alright for one team to play out of there but not too.

What I cant understand is why Shels cant go to Abbotstown. The FAI are commited to building a stadium out there anyway and it just makes perfect sense. Having bohs out there would be a lot better than in Dalyer.

Its a no brainer !

Dodge
26/03/2006, 6:22 PM
I think thats the plan btw. Bohs and Shels out in abbotstown, Pats and Rovers in Tallaght. You;ll notice that not once has the FAI or anyone else mentioned dalymount

Dr.Nightdub
26/03/2006, 6:29 PM
Dunno about that Dodge. All these talks between Bohs and Shels seem aimed at using Dalymount at the very least as a holding pen for Shels until Abbotstown is built, if not as a longer-term "solution".

thejollyrodger
27/03/2006, 8:04 PM
Sharing Dalyer until a 20,000 all seater stadium out in Abbotstown was built would be just fine (providing bohs could stomach it). However spending anything more than a few years there would not really be acceptable for either club.

Both Dalyer and Tolka park are out of space and unlikely to ever get the irish public to turn up.

Dodge
27/03/2006, 10:27 PM
20,000? You brought less than 200 to Richmond but you're going to bring 20,000 to Abbotstown. Will people ever get ****ing real about the stadium issue

Schumi
28/03/2006, 11:21 AM
Never mind the capacity of Abbotstown, it's in the middle of nowhere. How would any new fan go all the way out there?