PDA

View Full Version : Limewire?

Raheny Red
22/03/2006, 6:31 PM
A couple of lads were showing this to me today in College and tellin' me how great the downloads on it are and I have to say I was pretty impressed!

I was just wondering is it all legal? :confused:

Block G Raptor
22/03/2006, 6:33 PM
in a word no!
totally Illegal
I use it all the time,if your going to use it be careful coz your files will be shared out aswell unless you turn it off

Raheny Red
22/03/2006, 6:40 PM
I was thinking about downloading but the sharing thing was putting me off - after downloading Limewire how do I turn off the option of sharing :confused:

dahamsta
22/03/2006, 7:18 PM
It's not illegal to use Limewire.

It is illegal to download or upload files without permission to do so.

Important difference.

Raheny Red
22/03/2006, 7:34 PM
I just downloaded it there - looks pretty easy to use - how do I stop people from using my files though?:confused: ?

joema
22/03/2006, 8:01 PM
I just downloaded it there - looks pretty easy to use - how do I stop people from using my files though?:confused: ?

Go to tools, then click options, then click sharing, then click the folder you are currently sharing and click remove.

Why dont you want to share your files btw?? Thats what makes limewire work

A disadvantage of choosing not to share your files is you will be termed a "freeloader" - (go to tools, options, advanced and then preferencing) If you are a freeloader some users can chose not to share their files with you

Raheny Red
22/03/2006, 9:52 PM
Cheers for that Joema :)

Risteard
22/03/2006, 10:35 PM
It's not illegal to use Limewire.

It is illegal to download or upload files without permission to do so.

Important difference.
How else could you be using it?
Is there even a process whereby you go about getting permission?
Is it actually risky?
Afaik its actually IRMA who push for arrests on it and they just decided the number of prosecutions the last few years.
Think they just picked the most active people but is it risky for a guy who's just long been looking to pick up 4 or 5 songs?

DmanDmythDledge
22/03/2006, 10:41 PM
As far as I know at the moment people who share files are the only ones getting prosecuted, but I believe people that download files from Limewire will eventually be targeted.

A face
23/03/2006, 1:23 AM
Sharing files is not illegal .... sharing files you dont have permission to share is where the problem is. I would be thinking that they go after the big fellas who have tens of thousands of songs shared.

And just on the 'how do i stop sharing my files' .... think about it if everyone did that, what good would it actually be ??

Also, by not sharing files and by the files you share being inactive it'll effect they searches and downloads you can make i.e. if you are a freeloader, it wont work aswell for you.

Also, files you share are going the other way, upload, it wont effect your downloads ... you lose nothing by sharing. In fact, if you take notice of the guys downloading from you, and you like whatever they are downloading, you can search what they share and will probably get alot of stuff you like.

Conor H
23/03/2006, 7:05 AM
As far as I know at the moment people who share files are the only ones getting prosecuted, but I believe people that download files from Limewire will eventually be targeted.
Ill be in trouble so!:eek: :D

finlma
23/03/2006, 8:53 AM
Soulseek (http://www.slsknet.org/) is much better than Limewire.

If you're going to use the product its only fair that you share.

dahamsta
23/03/2006, 9:55 AM
How else could you be using it?This is a common misconception: Although these networks are generally used for music/movie/warez sharing, and perhaps that's what the developers had in mind when they created them, that's not what they are. They're filesharing networks. So, to answer your question: you'd use it to upload and download files you have permission to do so with.

Is there even a process whereby you go about getting permission?Depends on who owns the files. If it's a major music label, I doubt it. If it's a self-published artist, you'd contact them.

Is it actually risky?Depends on your definition of risky. At the moment, artist's rights organisations are bringing civil cases against people that share thousands of files, however there's nothing stopping them bringing cases against others later.

Afaik its actually IRMA who push for arrests on it and they just decided the number of prosecutions the last few years.These are civil cases, not criminal, so there are no arrests unless people haven't responded to the summons to appear in court.

Think they just picked the most active people but is it risky for a guy who's just long been looking to pick up 4 or 5 songs?As people have already said, if you don't share there's not much point in using filesharing software.

Now, could people ask any further questions on a filesharing site please?

adam