PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Eateries?

$Leon$
21/03/2006, 4:50 PM
Just wondering where people find best for food in Dublin. Good Pub Grub not really talking Michelin Star Food here???

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/03/2006, 4:57 PM
Just windering where people find best for food in Dublin. Good Pub Grub not really talking Michelin Star Food here???

I'm a big fan of Roly's in Ballsbridge. They do a lovely tender fillet steak. The Fitzwilliam hotel in city-centre is also a tasty location in my experience. Do you go to Joe's takeaway much these days?

$Leon$
21/03/2006, 5:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Roly's in Ballsbridge. They do a lovely tender fillet steak. The Fitzwilliam hotel in city-centre is also a tasty location in my experience. Do you go to Joe's takeaway much these days?

Like Roly's myself. Good location for you right in the heart of the embassy belt. Haven't been to the Fitzwilliam since Conrad left. It just isn't the same without him. Talkin more Pub grub PM. Don't no have you ever gone that low. Some place that you'd get a feed and a feed of pints.
Who's Joe and what does he takeaway?

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/03/2006, 5:08 PM
Pub grub? As you know I'm very conscious of my figure and don't usually resort to pub grub. However, if you want cheap grub with pints, the Forum Bar in UCD is good. You get a good feed up until 7 in the evening and I find its a great place to start a session/night out. However, the best feed I ever had was in the "Courtyard" in Donnybrook.

pete
21/03/2006, 5:11 PM
Good Pub Grub not really talking Michelin Star Food here???

He asks for non-Michelin star quality food & ye start talking about Conrad Gallagher & the Fitzwilliam :rolleyes:

I think Dublin has improved a huge amount in recent years & even pubs offering a bit more than standard fare now...

The Porter House & the Market Bar a bit different...

Can't beat Whelans carvery for quantity on a weekday lunchtime :)

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/03/2006, 5:14 PM
Just wondering where people find best for food in Dublin. Good Pub Grub???

Come to think of it $Leon$, we had a nice feed in the Madhatter in Blackrock before Christmas.

$Leon$
21/03/2006, 5:17 PM
Can't beat Whelans carvery for quantity on a weekday lunchtime :)

I'll give that a go soon. A favourite of mine is O'Neills i think its on sussex street. 100m from Trinity and Grafton Street. Massive feed for €10.25.

Come to think of it $Leon$, we had a nice feed in the Madhatter in Blackrock before Christmas.

Had forgotten about that place. That was a decent feed. Does the mad hatter still count? Personally i'd now class it as Bar and Restaurant rather than Pub with Grub. Maybe i'm just being too pedantic about the whole issue.

paul_oshea
21/03/2006, 5:17 PM
in the Madhatter

that would suit ye two boys down to the ground....

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/03/2006, 5:23 PM
I'll give that a go soon. A favourite of mine is O'Neills i think its on sussex street. 100m from Trinity and Grafton Street. Massive feed for €10.25.

Thats also a massive favourite of Dillo's too. Had a nice feed with him there recently. Dillo claims that JoeSemi was the person who recommended O'Neill's to him. As for places not to go, what did you make of your recent feed in TGI's (we're talking the night before the 6 Nations began $Leon$)? I was very disappointed.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/03/2006, 5:24 PM
that would suit ye two boys down to the ground....

I'm not sure if it suits $Leon$ but it certainly suits me. Its one of my locals.

$Leon$
21/03/2006, 5:27 PM
My new Motto is whatever JoeSemi says do the opposite. Disasterous night. had almost forgotten about it till you brought it up again.

pete
21/03/2006, 5:31 PM

No the highest on the quality but for 8 euro can't go far wrong. 3 kinds of potatos makes up most of the veg options. :D Closed weekends in think.

Gerrit
21/03/2006, 8:14 PM
the Indian/Pakistani tandoori restaurant in Tallaght's main street is very good, and for a great price. It's opposite of the businesscentre next to the Square.

In Temple Bar there's a good Indian restaurant as well, not sure of the name of the street. It's one of those alleys between Temple Bar square and Dame Street...

For my fellow vegetarians, I recommend the veggie restaurant Govindas along the George Street. Very good food for a decent price, and 100% vegetarian. The owners are Hare Krishna followers, so you can be sure there won't be a single piece of meat or fish.

Dr.Nightdub
21/03/2006, 9:27 PM
Or try any of the more recently-opened Chinese restaurants around Moore St / Parnell St. Ridiculously cheap and way more authentic / varied fare than the same old same old that you see in suburban Chineses. Mind you, also way less likely to be visited by a Health Inspector, though I've never got bad food in one yet.

Thunderblaster
22/03/2006, 12:17 AM
The Coachman's at Dublin Airport is good. Beaumount House is alright.

soccerc
22/03/2006, 12:28 AM
It's been a while since I've last had the experience but you couldn't beat the Manhattan for an early morning soakage.....................LOL

hamish
22/03/2006, 1:33 AM
I used to go to the Kit 'n' Kaboodle - or some name like that - just off Stephen's Green - bit pricey but food was good and service ok.

drummerboy
22/03/2006, 7:51 AM
Post match steak in Fagans is really good.

Jeeez the Manhattan is hardly still open is it?

Magicme
22/03/2006, 7:54 AM
My fav Dublin Chinese is Charlies on Dame Street beside the Olympia...delicious.

Indian go to Monty's of Katmandu down laneway off Dame Street

Veggies should go to Cornacopia just off Grafton Street.

With all 3 of them you are near decent pubs Brogans, Oak, International.

Drumcondra Red
22/03/2006, 7:54 AM
Yeah, I was going to mention Fagans

TheJamaicanP.M.
22/03/2006, 7:57 AM
It's been a while since I've last had the experience but you couldn't beat the Manhattan for an early morning soakage.....................LOL

Again, Manhattan is a big favourite of mine, as it is with Dillo and the Green Hen. JoeSemi recommended it as usual.

TheJamaicanP.M.
22/03/2006, 7:58 AM
My fav Dublin Chinese is Charlies on Dame Street beside the Olympia...delicious.

I heard people usually get a good dose of food poisoning from that place too.

Magicme
22/03/2006, 8:02 AM
Never gotten sick eating there for bout 10 years now! Maybe the meat dishes are dodgy but their veg curry is my fav chinese curry in the world!

Peadar
22/03/2006, 9:53 AM
The Peoples Cafe on Capel Street is a good little Chinese takeaway with seating for about 8.

The Gin Palace on Middle Abbey Street/Liffey Street does great Tapas and other dishes. It's also a really nice bar to chill out in.

paul_oshea
22/03/2006, 10:10 AM
ive been outta dublin for a long while now, no harm with the amount of rubbish places popping up either!!

anyhow macaris what a feed, lovely grub extremely healthy and all, has to be the one across from UCD for lys dexics.

but seriouslly, always got a savage carvery in the woodstock in phibsboro, bit pricey but worth it. in fairness carvery is far better than any pub grub, as pub grub is either a) grilled food or b) microwaved meat and veg.

remember most pubs cook for the week on the monday and just reheat for the rest of the week!!

Ash
22/03/2006, 10:11 AM
I used to go to O'Neill a bit when I lived in Dublin but it got
to the stage where the food was was quantity over quality!

Food in the Hairy Lemon was decent but pricy, same with Searsons.
Flannerys had agood mixed grill and there was another pub across
the road and down towards the Bleedin Horse that had a decent
dinner too.

Fagans in Drumcondra had a good carvery

I worked around Stephens Green area so usually stayed around there!
Might have all changed, its about 3 years since I lived there.

The old Wed Wose Cafe, (kinda off Wexford St? i think) used to do a
deadly Builders Breakfast a fwe years back, but then they went and
changed the W's to R's and all of a sudden they went all poncy.
A fiver for toast kinda place!

paul_oshea
22/03/2006, 10:17 AM
ya does anyone think there is a need for a greasy spoons or two in dublin. i reckon there is, i mean with all the builders and that for a start. it would also offer cheaper prices, probably cheaper food to if ye get me, but it would help competitivenes. i mean at the end of a day a fry is a fry...

Eire06
22/03/2006, 10:18 AM
Judge Roy Beans on nassau street has nice bar food!
But if you're looking for something different the Monolian BBQ (http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/) their Buffet is class!
Got brought there once and it was great for a change, nice to go somewhere different than your typical table service type resturants!!

Magicme
22/03/2006, 10:31 AM
But if you're looking for something different the Monolian BBQ (http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/) their Buffet is class!
Got brought there once and it was great for a change, nice to go somewhere different than your typical table service type resturants!!

Aw yeah the Mongolian BBQ is great for a nite out....deadly fun. Do they still have the mural on the wall with Bob Geldof and Bono etc as some of G Khan's men??

Peadar
22/03/2006, 10:34 AM

That's a Porterhouse now so the food is very different to JRB's.

St. Mary's Church on Mary Street has been converted into a really nice bar.

Eire06
22/03/2006, 10:37 AM
That's a Porterhouse now so the food is very different to JRB's.

Yes sorry it was the porterhouse I ate forgot it had been taken over :o
Food was lovely anyway

londonirish17
22/03/2006, 10:42 AM
What about Merrion Inn, Donnybrook ?
Or the Boxty House, Temple Bar ?

Peadar
22/03/2006, 10:45 AM
Or the Boxty House, Temple Bar ?

Gallagher's Boxty House is quite expensive considering the fare they serve. You'd have a meal in a fine restaurant for the same money.

hamish
22/03/2006, 3:12 PM
Another place I used to go to a lot was The Huntsmens Inn near Balbriggan/Gormanstown. They did a brilliant duck with orange sauce, loads of vegetables etc - great value.

TheJamaicanP.M.
27/03/2006, 6:09 PM
I know its not in Dublin but has anyone ever been to the Richmond Inn in Longford Town or McPartlan's in Clondra? Neither place might be high on flavour, but they both horse on the grub, and provide second helpings if required.

$Leon$
27/03/2006, 7:35 PM
I know its not in Dublin but has anyone ever been to the Richmond Inn in Longford Town or McPartlan's in Clondra? Neither place might be high on flavour, but they both horse on the grub, and provide second helpings if required.

Wheres Clondra? Never heard of it. Never been to either place. Got a good feed one eve in The Longford Arms.

green army
28/03/2006, 9:38 AM
the halfway house on the longmile road does good grub.

Dodge
28/03/2006, 10:33 AM
Judge Roy Beans' gave me the trots once. Glad its gone.

fosterdollar
29/03/2006, 12:25 PM
I work off Baggot Street in Dublin and the options for lunch are good...

Swedish Food Co.
Doheny & Nesbit's
Tom's Kitchen
Searson's
Maguire's (closed at mo for renovations)
Wagamama's
Bean Scene (Haddington Road)
New 'deluxe' Spar on Baggot Street does fairly mean sambos with great choice
Gerard's

...and Cafe Sol for the caffeine fix on the way back

klein4
29/03/2006, 12:48 PM
Has anyone metioned Zaytoons already? quality.
Bang is nice but not really in the spirit of the thread!
the Mixed Grill in Flannerys at lunchtime is like a heart attack on a plate but does the job if you are feelin rough as a knackers dog after the nite before...

fosterdollar
29/03/2006, 12:57 PM
Zaytoon's has been replaced by Manhattan which has been replaced by Moda for me :)

carrickharp
29/03/2006, 3:37 PM
Gerry's on Montague Street (off Camden Street) is a good spot for a fry or dinner.

GERRY'S

6, Montague Street, D2. Phone: 478 3524

Great little cafe where every day is like Sunday. Full Irish and all the usual breakfast fare vie with a range of classic comfort food roast dinners (€5) for their many regulars custom. Gerry does all the cooking himself, which explains why it’s so unbelievably cheap - and so good.

Monday - Friday, 8am - 7pm; Saturday, 8am - 2pm.

www.eventguide.ie/articles

pete
29/03/2006, 5:55 PM
I work Camden St & new food place seem to open every few weeks. Excellent selection of sandwich & lunch places now...

Réiteoir
30/03/2006, 7:35 AM
Fagans is superb for a roast Sunday Lunch

Ash
30/03/2006, 10:16 AM
Gerry's on Montague Street (off Camden Street) is a good spot for a fry or dinner.

www.eventguide.ie/articles

I cant believe I forgot Gerrys, I used to work in the office block beside it.
A great feed for the hungover mornings

NeilMcD
30/03/2006, 11:05 AM
Or as my mate calls it "the little dinner place"

Ringo
05/04/2006, 12:41 PM
Or try any of the more recently-opened Chinese restaurants around Moore St / Parnell St. Ridiculously cheap and way more authentic / varied fare than the same old same old that you see in suburban Chineses. Mind you, also way less likely to be visited by a Health Inspector, though I've never got bad food in one yet.
I've been in the kitchens of most of thse restaurants in Parnell St & their clean. They've had a lot of inspections from everyone lately, mainly after complaints from people who own restaurants in the area. I'd avoid the moore street ones

Docboy
05/04/2006, 4:22 PM
Has anyone metioned Zaytoons already? quality.
Bang is nice but not really in the spirit of the thread!
the Mixed Grill in Flannerys at lunchtime is like a heart attack on a plate but does the job if you are feelin rough as a knackers dog after the nite before...

Got to agree with you there Zaytoons does the meanest kebabs in town of all varieties, great for the walk to the bus on the way back from Sin E's. Always wake up the next morning covered in the stuff!

JoeSemi
25/04/2006, 11:50 AM
Was in the Submarine for pub grub there last week and bye god do they know how to throw up a feed to a lad.

I was walking out ready to calve!:o