PDA

View Full Version : Young Irish players to watch in the UK in 2006/07

Pages : [1] 2

Bungle
25/01/2006, 10:13 AM
A young centre halve that is on the bench for Norwich.Hes only 16.Came on against west ham in the cup and looked excellent.Think hes also captain of their youth team.Also believe it or not Norwich fans believe that Gary Docherty is their player of the year so far.He,Robert Green and Paul McVeigh have all been excellent in an otherwise dismal season!!!

Btw imo McSheffrey would be a great addition to the Irish squad.He has scored something like 13 league goals this season and is still extremely young.

I really do think that if we get a very favourable draw this Friday,we have a decent shout of qualification.We have arguably 3 world class players at the moment:Finnan,Given and Duff.Keano is showing that potential again while there is a host of lads coming up that have unbelievable promise like Doyle,Ireland and O'Brien.Reid is developing and playing like a top player at blackburn also in a position that we really need a bit of bite.People say we lack experience but i think we have a core of extremely experienced players.

Bungle
25/01/2006, 10:14 AM
Many countries in pot 2 and 3 dont have any world class players and neither do Greece.

Stuttgart88
25/01/2006, 10:25 AM
Norwich website says Spillane born in Cambridge. Anyone know anything about him? Is he Irish or does he just sound Irish?

eirebhoy
25/01/2006, 10:37 AM
Well according to this:
http://www.thefa.com/England/U17s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/03/EngU17_vRepIreland_Mar05.htm

He was sent off for fouling Theo Walcott in Ireland U17 match vs England. :)

Bungle
25/01/2006, 10:38 AM
As far as I know hes Engliash but he has played for the Ireland youth teams.Im going to try to make it to the Norwich Arsenal reserve game next Monday so hopefully can see him.My English mates say that hes declared for Ireland and is in their words "**** hot"!!!

Bungle
25/01/2006, 10:42 AM
Just found this:

http://www.ncfc-fans.co.uk/yoursay/viewtopic.php?t=253&sid=1

Hes a strapping six footer,just what we need!

Stuttgart88
25/01/2006, 10:46 AM
Well according to this:
http://www.thefa.com/England/U17s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/03/EngU17_vRepIreland_Mar05.htm

He was sent off for fouling Theo Walcott in Ireland U17 match vs England. :)
I remember that game alright. I think a few of the posters on this forum went up to it.

Soper
25/01/2006, 11:06 AM
If Football Manager 06 is anything to go by, then he will be a class act!

paul_oshea
25/01/2006, 11:10 AM
thats what they say about fm05 in that thread!

dr_peepee
26/01/2006, 4:39 PM
He wrote the Mike Hammer seires as well...

Jack of all trades, is our Mickey!!!!

youngirish
20/03/2006, 12:25 PM
There seems to be an enormous amount of talented young Irish players around at the moment. The following is a list of players that I think could be ones to watch over the coming season.

Owen Garvan
Position: Central Midfield
Club: Ipswich

Has been a regular starter for Ipswich this season and along with Supple has been one of the few positives for the club in an otherwise fruitless campaign. He's a central midfield player with a wide range of passing and an eye for goal. Apparently he's already attracted the interest of West Ham and the general view is if he continues to progress at the current rate it won't be long before he's snapped up by a Premiership team.

Shane Supple
Position: Goalkeeper

A young goalkeeper who's exceptionally agile and a great shot stopper. Along with Garvan he has also been a regular starter at Ipswich this season keeping Lewis Price the Welsh International keeper out of the team. Looks to be the natural successor to Given.

Billy Clarke
Position: Striker

One of the stars of the Ipswich Youth team's FA Cup win last season Clarke is a small but fast and skillful striker who has made a handful of appearances for Ipswich this season. He should get more first team outings next season but considering he's only just turned 18 he has time on his side.

Shane Long
Club: Reading

Transfered from Cork City with Doyle in the summer Long is a lightning quick and powerful striker who has made a number of appearances for Reading's first team this season scoring two goals. Might find it harder next season to get regular first team action due to Reading's imminent promotion to the Premiership but a loan spell to a Championship team could do him the world of good.

Jonathan Hayes
Position: Left Midfield
Club: Reading

A very highly rated and talented winger who has struggled to make an impact at Reading this season mainly due to the form of Bobby Convey. At only 19 he has time on his side and a loan move to a lower league team next season as with Long could afford him his chance to impress.

Chris McCann
Position: Left or Central Midfield
Club: Burnley

A young midfield player with a thunderous left foot McCann has been a regular starter this season and has scored two goals. Should have the opportunity to flourish at Burnley as he'll no doubt be given the time to develop in the absence of resources to buy a ready made replacement.

Paul McShane
Position: Central Defence
Club: Brighton

Currently on loan from Manchester United McShane has had an impressive season at struggling Brighton and has weighed in with a number of goals from defence. If he continues to develop he looks good enough to make it in the Premiership though his lack of pace could be a stumbling block.

Kevin Foley
Position: Right Back
Club: Luton

Foley has continued to impress at Luton this season despite their promotion to a higher league. He attracted interest from West Ham during the transfer window following Repka's departure and could be on the move to the Premeriship in the summer. Hard tackling and pacey he looks to have all the attributes required to be a top quality full back.

Jay Tabb
Position: Right Midfield
Club: Brentford

Pacey and skillful winger currently plying his trade for Brentford. Tabb has been one of the stars of their season and looks likely to be playing in the Championship next year if Brentford as expected manage to get promoted.

Andrew Keogh
Club: S****horpe

Has already bagged 14 goals for S****horpe so far this season including a goal against Man City in the third round of the FA Cup. His partnership with Billy Sharp proved to be the most potent strike force in League 1 until Sharp's injury a few weeks ago. Both look likely to attract interest from bigger clubs during the summer.

TheJamaicanP.M.
20/03/2006, 2:16 PM
Great post.
I'd also like to add the names of Darron Gibson of Manchester United and Darren O'Dea of Celtic. Gibson will probably get loaned out to a Championship club next season, a bit like McShane this season. I think if O'Dea is ever going to break into the first team at Celtic, next season is the time to do it. Next season will also be a big one for Anthony Stokes. He'll be 18 this summer and I would expect Wenger to send him out on loan next season. Then we'll see what he's made of.

tetsujin1979
20/03/2006, 2:41 PM
Owen Garvan
Position: Central Midfield
Garvan was mentioned as one of the "bubbling under" names in this month's FourFourTwo's article "50 Best Players Outside The Premiership". Didn't make the top 50, but tipped as one for the future.

soccerc
20/03/2006, 3:04 PM
I would not be overly confident of Long and Hayes being kept by Reading:rolleyes:

pete
20/03/2006, 3:13 PM
I would not be overly confident of Long and Hayes being kept by Reading:rolleyes:

I agree. Reading reserves are in no way good enough for the Premiership so expect a lot of changes there.

Are we only allowed look at irish abroad?

FAI.ie woefully out of date but you get the idea...

Stephen Ward (Bohemians)
Born: 20/8/85 Caps: 2 Goals: 0 Debut: v Poland 27/4/04
Equally comfortable in midfield or attack, Stephen Ward joined Bohemians from Portmarnock and is currently on the fringes of the first team squad at Dalymount Park. He has previously been capped by the Irish schools.

Roy O’Donovan (Cork City)
Born: 10/08/85. Caps 2. Goals 0
Debut: v Northern Ireland 16/08/05

livehead1
20/03/2006, 4:04 PM
i thought it seemed to be a common thought that o'donavon will never be good enough to cut it at the highest level? is it the same one who was at coventry a few years back?

Donal81
20/03/2006, 4:28 PM
Great post Young Irish. In that FourFourTwo article, Jay Tabb also featured. Apparently he's the best player at Brentford, for whatever that means. I think Garvan is the smart money here.

Paddy Garcia
20/03/2006, 9:43 PM
David Bell at Luton is a real class act, I'd not be surprisped to see him establish himself at Luton and attract attention at an even higher level. Some premiership clubs were closely watching him before he moved to Luton.

Kevin Thornton at Coventry is another I think can make a big impression next year.

Michael Timlin was viewed as the next big thing at Fulham a couple of years back before a number of really bad injury's took their toll. If he can recover his old form, he has huge potential - & talent.

And I'd suggest a make or break year for Darren Potter.

O yeah and Marcos Painter at Birmingham is surely one of our hotest prospects.

Agree Garvin looks the real deal.

pete
21/03/2006, 10:47 AM
Great post Young Irish. In that FourFourTwo article, Jay Tabb also featured. Apparently he's the best player at Brentford, for whatever that means.

Tabb is like a fat(ter) version of Andy reid with less pace and ability.

The point i was trying to make it there will be no attention on the likes of Ward but if he gets a move to the UK suddenly you will be adding to next greatest thing list. Shane Long is only a kid & played handful of 1st team games at any level yet he included in your list...

Risteard
21/03/2006, 10:53 AM
i thought it seemed to be a common thought that o'donavon will never be good enough to cut it at the highest level? is it the same one who was at coventry a few years back?
He is indeed the same Roy O'Donovan.
While he has already cut it at the highest level of domestic soccer, his temperament could become very detrimental to his considerable talents.
Needs to cop on.

youngirish
21/03/2006, 12:19 PM
C'mon slight exagerration - Tabb isn't as fat as Andy Reid. He's about an inch taller and half a stone lighter. Andy Reid could eat Jay Tabb.

Stuttgart88
21/03/2006, 1:58 PM
I think Tabb's a fine player but won't cut it as a forward which is where he's mainly played for IRL U21s. soccerc on this site has long maintained that he's got the making of a quality midfielder though, and I agree. Is he playing wide-right youngirish or is he playing centrally? I thought it was the latter but am open to correction. Talented player definitely.

Hayes was the only inclusion I was surprised to see. Garvan, Foley & Supple are the ones I'd expect most from in the near term, maybe also Keogh & Tabb. Clarke was unlucky to get injured last year just as he was getting a look-in at Ipswich but he's got plenty of time.

I think pete's being a bit unfair in picking out Ward's ommission. His form has not gone unnoticed even by the English-based posters on foot.ie. Likewise O'Donovan. I think youngirish was simply pointing out those players likely to progress next year, but "under the radar", i.e., without the attention of the Irish print media who are obsessed with the Premiership but who DO cover domestic football. I know many people who could tell you who the best domestically based Irish players are but who haven't a rashers who the likes of Garvan etc are, let alone Andy Keogh. Good post.

I'd like to see Darren Randolph get first team action, maybe in The Championship, and of the Irish at Celtic it looks like O'Dea is closest to making an impact.

Stuttgart88
21/03/2006, 3:51 PM
David Bell at Luton is a real class actHave you seen much of him? I've only seen him on TV during the World Cup for U20s in the UAE in 2003(?). He looked like a really skillful player and I've been surprised he was playing as low down the divisions as he has been. Has he been getting his game since he moved to Luton?

Paddy Garcia
21/03/2006, 4:13 PM
I've seen him a few times & he always looked to have plenty of time on the ball in a kick & rush environment. Lots of class. A bit like Kinsella in so far as everyone knew he was the best player in the division, although has not has to wait as long for a move.

He has carried an injury since his move to Luton, so just a few appearances as sub.

bluemovie
22/03/2006, 8:52 AM
Marcos Painter at Birmingham is surely one of our hotest prospects.

True, he is a good prospect and was immeasurably better at left back against the Swiss under 21s in Tolka than Sheahan was against the French in Cork. But last night.......Mary Mother of Jesus ya had to feel sorry for him. Gerrard ate him alive. I haven't seen a full back given such a roasting all season (although Melchiot was giving him a run for his money on the other flank). The poor lad will never have such a difficult game again and I'm sure it was a one-off in extremely testing circumstances, but I just hope his confidence doesn't take a battering. You just had to feel really sorry for him.

youngirish
22/03/2006, 10:17 AM
I reckon it could actually work in Painter's favour if Birmingham were relegated this year as he's still young and he'd undoubtedly get more opportunites in the first team next season. I'd prefer to see him as a future Ireland centre back instead of a left back though.

Stuttgart88
23/03/2006, 2:31 PM
Billy Clarke

One of the stars of the Ipswich Youth team's FA Cup win last season Clarke is a small but fast and skillful striker who has made a handful of appearances for Ipswich this season. He should get more first team outings next season but considering he's only just turned 18 he has time on his side.
Just gone on loan to Colchester, joining Mark Yeates.

livehead1
23/03/2006, 4:48 PM
Just gone on loan to Colchester, joining Mark Yeates.

be great to see him down there and score a few goals....whats the story with yeates, he just does not seem to score enough goals for a striker?!?! i think he may have been onthe wing for a bit but i remember the same thing on loan last season. He will surely have to find the back of the net with a bit more frequency and leave spurs if he wants to achieve his apparent potential

youngirish
23/03/2006, 5:23 PM
be great to see him down there and score a few goals....whats the story with yeates, he just does not seem to score enough goals for a striker?!?! i think he may have been onthe wing for a bit but i remember the same thing on loan last season. He will surely have to find the back of the net with a bit more frequency and leave spurs if he wants to achieve his apparent potentialI agree. Yeates doesn't seem to be progressing as well as I would have hoped for a couple of seasons ago and just never seems to score enough goals. In fairness though I think he's been employed more on the wing for Colchester this season but even as a winger his goal return is crap.

Good news about Clarke. Doubt if he'll start many games as Colchester are in with a chance of promotion but he should make a few substitute appearances.

SaucyJack
23/03/2006, 6:40 PM
this seems to bode well for Shane Long (and Hayes), scores one and sets up the other 3...

Hayes and Long star as Reading win

The Reading reserves defeated Luton 4-0 at Madejski Stadium yesterday, with Shane Long scoring one and setting up the other three.

Strike partner Simon Cox doubled the lead after Long's opener, and Jonathan Hayes then scored either side of half time.

Graham Stack made an important save in the early stages to deny Enoch Showumni when clean through on goal at 0-0.

Boss Brian McDermott was very satisfied with his team's display, telling readingfc.co.uk, "I have to say I really enjoyed that.

"I thought we played really well, we looked a good side. We went about it the right way and can come out of it with a lot of credit.

"We scored some terrific goals, they really were out of the top drawer. On top of that, we worked our socks off out of possession.

"Everyone was excellent and it was a very good day for us. Hopefully it's the start of things leading up to a big, big, game on Saturday."

After a scrappy start to the game, Reading began to take charge and had their first chance after 13 minutes when a poor defensive clearance was controlled by Simon Church who cut inside from the right and curled a left-footed shot goalwards that Dean Brill saved.

Midway through the half Jonathan Hayes produced a delightful backheel to send Scott Golbourne into the area, and the left-back's low cross caused problems for the Luton defence before the ball was finally scrambled clear.

The opener came after 28 minutes when Hayes broke down the left and released a pass to youngster Church, who showed great composure to pick out Shane Long at the far post, and the Irish striker thumped a firm header into the net.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled when impressive defender Alex Pearce played a ball down the right, and although Long seemed to control with his arm play was allowed to continue. Long reached the byline before producing a wonderful cross that Simon Cox headed home from close range.

Another goal followed three minutes before the interval, as Michael Dobson played a ball down the right and again Long gave chase to deliver another excellent cross to the far post, where Hayes arrived to smash home a first-time right-footed volley from 15 yards.

The fourth goal came early in the second period, when Stack's clearance was nodded on by Long and Hayes raced into the area, holding off a defender to fire a low shot into the near post.

Reading were well in control, and after 55 minutes Conor Sinnott found Church, who broke down the right to release Long, and his cross was met by Cox's acrobatic volley, but on this occasion Brill produced a good reflex save.

With an hour played Church cut inside from the right to drill a left-footed shot straight at the keeper, and ten minutes later Hayes and Cox combined to find Long, who hesitated with the goal at his mercy and the chance disappeared.

The final opening came with seven minutes remaining when captain Dobson tried his luck with a 30-yard volley, but his well-struck effort was kept out by Brill's good diving save.

Reading: Stack, Halls, Golbourne, Brown, Pearce, Dobson (c), Sinnott, Church, Hayes, Cox, Long (Rendell 75)
Subs: Bygrave, Joseph-Dubois

Courtesy of Reading FC

livehead1
23/03/2006, 9:11 PM
I agree. Yeates doesn't seem to be progressing as well as I would have hoped for a couple of seasons ago and just never seems to score enough goals. In fairness though I think he's been employed more on the wing for Colchester this season but even as a winger his goal return is crap.

Good news about Clarke. Doubt if he'll start many games as Colchester are in with a chance of promotion but he should make a few substitute appearances.

all it takes is one impressive appearance to gain a starting place, then its up to him, u don't know how often he will play.

eirebhoy
24/03/2006, 8:20 AM
I agree. Yeates doesn't seem to be progressing as well as I would have hoped for a couple of seasons ago and just never seems to score enough goals. In fairness though I think he's been employed more on the wing for Colchester this season but even as a winger his goal return is crap.

Yeates definitely has the ability but not the end product. He's still a key player for Colchester. He's not being employed more on the wing, he's being employed solely on the wing. He's a Joe Cole/Shaun Maloney type of player. I'd say at the moment he's a bit like McGeady in that he frustrates fans but I'd still have high hopes for him.

Stuttgart88
24/03/2006, 8:51 AM
I thought Yeates played very well against Chelsea, and indeed in all of Colchester's FA Cup matches. He was subbed in a defensive tactical move against Chelsea but Chelsea scored almost immediately afterwards.

I think one of the reasons he was sent out on loan was to toughen up & build up a bit which I think he has done. I've heard Jol say he rates him. His future may not necessarily be at Spurs but if he works hard I think he'll be a good player. I think he needs to be playing Champoionship level at least next year though.

Stuttgart88
24/03/2006, 8:57 AM
Does anyone think that Alan O'Brien at Newcastle has a chanace of doing anything next season? He's been making the match-day squad for some time now.

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/03/2006, 9:25 AM
Does anyone think that Alan O'Brien at Newcastle has a chanace of doing anything next season? He's been making the match-day squad for some time now.

Surprisingly, he's a player that's rarely mentioned on this forum. He's been making good progres this season. I think the emergence of the likes of Stephen Ireland, Joey O'Brien and Owen Garvan has perhaps overshadowed him. Next season will be a big one for O'Brien. I would expect Newcastle to bring in a couple of players this summer so that might make it difficult for him.

Qwerty
25/03/2006, 4:33 PM
He's OK, one dimensional and will probably be released in the summer, his chances at Newcastle are very slim.

Paddy Garcia
25/03/2006, 4:57 PM
Next year may be a bit soon for Anthony Stokes, though he may get out on loan. Certainly one to keep an eye on next year.

They seem to have done the opposite to him as Henry, turning a striker into a winger.

Bungle
25/03/2006, 5:05 PM
Stokes is a class act who would walk into most premiership teams already.I think he is being groomed to repace Ljungberg in the next two years.I'd expect him to begin to make sub appearances from next year and if Arsenal have nothing to play for domestically at the end of the season,the likes of him,Bendthner and Lupoli may get a look in.

Bungle
25/03/2006, 5:07 PM
Oh and Yeates has had an excellent season at Colchester.He and Greg Halford were being linked with a move to Norwich.He has being playing on the wing,which mightn't be a bad thing,as it will hopefully give his game more balance.

youngirish
27/03/2006, 12:58 PM
Apparently Owen Garvan put in another cracking display for Ipswich this weekend. He got the man of the match award from the Sun which stated he was a star in the making (even if it is a rag).

Billy Clarke also came on for his debut at Colchester in their 0-0 draw at S****horpe (who Keogh was in action for).

tetsujin1979
27/03/2006, 2:44 PM
Apparently Owen Garvan put in another cracking display for Ipswich this weekend. He got the man of the match award from the Sun which stated he was a star in the making (even if it is a rag).

Billy Clarke also came on for his debut at Colchester in their 0-0 draw at S****horpe (who Keogh was in action for).
Supple was in goals again for Ipswich and Delaney played for Hull, although he was withdrawn with about 20 minutes to go. Delanet had been booked earlier so it might have been to prevent him getting sent off.

czarner
28/03/2006, 7:14 AM
From today's Guardian:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1741157,00.html

Owen Garvan, Ipswich Town

David Pleat
Tuesday March 28, 2006
The Guardian

Financial restrictions have forced Ipswich to make the most of their youth policy and Owen Garvan, one of the homegrown talents, looks destined for the very top. He looks to have shades of Arnold Muhren, Kevin Sheedy and Liam Brady: an old-fashioned midfielder with a good left foot.

That may sound very high praise but this boy has great quality. When he plays a pass and gets the return he has already seen the next ball he wants to play and that is a special talent in someone so young. He also shows subtlety, balance and a sleight of foot beyond his years. When he receives possession he has a knack of being able to deceive opponents by dropping his shoulder and drifting away from them effortlessly. His speed of thought makes up for not being outstandingly fast.

Article continues
Garvan's best position is on the left side of a central midfield pair where he can receive the ball off his defenders and make the play by bringing team-mates into the game. That is usually the quality of a player of some experience. Jim Magilton has been Ipswich's schemer-in-chief for several seasons but his time is coming to an end and Garvan will take his place with confidence.

Garvan can pass accurately short and long but what has particularly impressed me is his ability to shield possession, a quality not always seen in players from the British Isles. When tackles fly in or he is hounded by an opponent he has the composure to move and keep the ball.

He likes to shoot and can hit fierce drives from the edge of the box. He will get stronger from playing consistently in the Championship but already he can look after himself. Although still slim he shows determination and a willingness to put his foot into tackles against stronger and more experienced players.

When I first saw Garvan I wondered whether he was fully tuned in to defensive responsibilities. Balls got played behind him, I thought he was slow to react and my first instinct was that he lacked pace. But he reacts swiftly now when Ipswich lose possession and, having watched him closely, I can see he has enough speed. A slightly ugly duckling running style can make him appear sluggish at times.

It is a terrific accolade for a boy of 18 that he has rarely been out of the side this season. Ipswich won the Youth Cup last year and he showed enough quality in the first leg of the final against Southampton for Joe Royle to feel confident of using him. Three others in that team, Billy Clarke, Darryl Knights and the goalkeeper Shane Supple, also look to have particularly bright futures.

I am told Garvan is mentally strong, single-minded and one of the last to leave training, even coming in on his day off. In Royle and the assistant manager Willie Donachie he has terrific people to guide him. Ipswich have sold to survive since the Bobby Robson era and they must hope that this time the club can progress without sacrificing this fine young talent.

Age 18

Born Dublin

Position Midfield

Height 6ft

Weight 10st 8lb

From Academy

Heading 7/10

Pace 7½/10

Awareness 8½/10

Shooting 8/10

Passing 8/10

Team responsibility 8/10

Pleat's valuation £1m-£1.5m

youngirish
29/03/2006, 12:17 PM
Gibson receives United call

March 29, 2006

Republic of Ireland under-19 star Darron Gibson has been drafted into the Manchester United squad for the Premiership clash with West Ham United tonight (Wednesday).

Gibson made his first-team debut as a substitute in the FA Cup win over Barnet earlier in the season.

That remains his only senior appearance to date, but his progress at youth and reserve team level is underlined by his call-up to Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad for the visit of West Ham to Old Trafford.

United, currently on a five-game winning run, can close the gap on leaders Chelsea to nine points with victory this evening.

livehead1
29/03/2006, 1:08 PM
Gibson receives United call

March 29, 2006

Republic of Ireland under-19 star Darron Gibson has been drafted into the Manchester United squad for the Premiership clash with West Ham United tonight (Wednesday).

Gibson made his first-team debut as a substitute in the FA Cup win over Barnet earlier in the season.

That remains his only senior appearance to date, but his progress at youth and reserve team level is underlined by his call-up to Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad for the visit of West Ham to Old Trafford.

United, currently on a five-game winning run, can close the gap on leaders Chelsea to nine points with victory this evening.

Brilliant, real progress.

youngirish
03/04/2006, 12:19 PM
I see Shane Long scored two goals for Reading against Derby after coming on as a substitue at the weekend. Also Supple was apparently in fine form for Ipswich against Luton (he got man of the match in the Sun despite their defeat).

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2006, 8:00 PM
Steve Coppell was at Belfield last Friday to watch Quigley and Dicker. http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=34949

youngirish
12/04/2006, 5:01 PM
Thornton set for Coventry run

April 12, 2006

Young Irish midfielder Kevin Thornton is set to gain a well-deserved run of first-team games for Coca-Cola Championship side Coventry City from now until the end of the campaign as manager Micky Adams lays the foundations for next season’s promotion bid.

With several of the club’s high earners out of contract and set to move on in the close-season, and the Sky Blues already safe from relegation, Adams has pledged to give the younger players the chance to shine for the rest of the Championship season.

And that means there will be chances for Drogheda native Thornton, the younger brother of Doncaster Rover’ former Irish under-21 star Sean.

Thornton, 19, scored in the Richard Shaw testimonial win over Celtic on Tuesday night and can look forward to plenty more game time over the next month.

Adams said: “Maybe it is time to throw the youngsters in and see what they can do. I am sure the fans will understand that and get behind the lads as much as they can. I am talking about Stuart Giddings and Kevin Thornton having a run.

"Some of the players we have picked recently are not going to be here next season so we have to look at that as well and look to the future, so that’s what we will try to do between now and the end of the season.”

youngirish
12/04/2006, 5:03 PM
Garvan eyes success with Ipswich

April 12, 2006

Highly-regarded young Irish midfielder Owen Garvan wants to win plenty of silverware in his career – and he would like to do it with current club Ipswich Town.

Garvan has enjoyed a fine breakthrough season for the Tractor Boys, starting 12 Coca-Cola Championship games for Joe Royle’s side.

Having only turned 18 in January, he is rumoured to have attracted plenty of attention from the Premiership, with West Ham United among the top flight clubs said to be monitoring his progress.

But Garvan wants to stay put at Portman Road and help the club challenge for promotion next season en route to greater things.

"It has been a big season for me,“ said the young Dubliner. “I have made my debut and kept my place in the team, but while I have enjoyed my football it is disappointing that we haven’t done better.

"I want to win things, get my hands on some silverware, and I would love to do it with Ipswich.

“I read the papers and I’m aware of the speculation linking me with other clubs, but at the moment I’m just looking to do well with Ipswich and that means getting into the Premiership as soon as possible.”

co. down green
12/04/2006, 10:56 PM
Royle: Clarke a 'class act'

Joe Royle has labelled teenage striker Billy Clarke "a class act" after seeing him make his full debut for Colchester on Tuesday night.

The 18-year-old Ireland youth international moved to the League One promotion chasers on loan last month and had made three substitute appearances before being given his full debut for the Us.

Royle, who was accompanied by academy director Billy Clarke, reserve coach Steve McCall and goalkeeping coach Andy Rhodes, said: "Colchester manager Phil Parkinson promised Billy would get games when he asked about taking him on loan and he is clearly benefiting from the experience.

"Billy had a shot after about 30 seconds that whizzed narrowly over the bar and he had a couple more that were close later on, plus he worked hard and made some good passes in behind the Hartlepool defence.

"He tired a bit towards the end, which wasn't surprising because it's the best part of five weeks since he played a full game for our reserves.

"The Colchester fans have clearly taken to him, but he is only there to get some useful experience. We are delighted with his progress and excited about his prospects for next season. He is well on course to make an impact with us."

Stuttgart88
13/04/2006, 8:29 AM
Not sure if this is the thread for it, but Liverpool vs Man City FA Youth Cup Final is on tonight I think (first leg). City will have Karl Moore & Garry Breen, and maybe Donal McDermott & Michael Doyle (info courtesy of Tets). Liverpool have Jimmy Ryan & Conal Platt, both English-born Irish underage internationals, and a couple of lads who sound like they should be Irish (!).