PDA

View Full Version : Spam Email Subjects

A face
19/03/2006, 2:05 PM
Well we know all the usual ones but i have been getting some that being honest sometimes seem like they need opening ...

Warning: message 1FK4Fc-0003wj-3b delayed 24 hours

Followed by ...

Warning: message 1FK4Fc-0003wj-3b delayed 48 hours

It is from "Mail Delivery System"

And its 2K

That to me is fairly deceptive, the time factor is what is throwing me, is something about to expire of what ??

Magicme
20/03/2006, 8:39 AM
Just dont open anything you didnt solicit....thats my attitude.

dahamsta
20/03/2006, 9:32 AM
Just open them in a client that won't execute attachments automatically, like Thunderbird. (Outlook / OE shouldn't either any more, but I wouldn't trust it.)

adam

A face
20/03/2006, 2:33 PM
Just open them in a client that won't execute attachments automatically, like Thunderbird. (Outlook / OE shouldn't either any more, but I wouldn't trust it.)

Think i'll just go to an internet café, for coffee like .... swear !! ;)

A problem shared !! :p

dahamsta
20/03/2006, 3:35 PM
Aside from the fact that if I had an internet café I wouldn't allow it, if you took that attitude towards it, I'd kick your head in. No offense like, but if that's your attitude to other people's investments...

Gerrit
21/03/2006, 8:01 PM
at work we get daily spam. Mostly about sex, pills of all sorts, or fake watches.
One guy, who names himself "Doctor" sends a daily (!) email: "The ultimate online pharmaceutical"

A few others by heart:

"With Spermamax, your ejaculation will look like a sparkling fountain" :D
"if you're depressive, take on smoking... Your cigarette is your best friend"
"Nothing impresses people as much as an exact Rolex replica"

In my Gmail I often get these ones:
"Re: "
"(my email address) is your personal non-profit address"
"Online pharamaceutical"

dahamsta
21/03/2006, 8:12 PM
"Our store is your cureall!"

(I didn't get that for ages, was wondering were they misspelling "cereal"; and if so why their store was one. (Try putting a space after the 'e' if you're as stupid as me.))

I get hundreds every day, but that's because: a) I'm a sysop for a dozen servers; b) my lists@ address is archived all over the web; and c) various other addresses are archived all over the web too. However being a sysop has the advantage that I can trap and filter 95%+ of it on the server-side, plus anything else I don't want hitting my local mailbox.

I last cleaned up this morning though, and there's currently 9 messages in my <10 SA (http://spamassassin.apache.org/) points folder, 41 in <20, and 25 in < 30; plus 53 in various other folders, including 22 viruses. All of which have to be reviewed. Fun fun fun.

adam

Gerrit
21/03/2006, 8:18 PM
The spam reporters in most webmails don't work at all. I reported one guy who sent daily spam, so I pressed the "report spam" button in my fastmail.fm mailbox. The next day the guy was there again...

Dr.Nightdub
21/03/2006, 9:18 PM
I'd love to be the person who gets to dream up the dummy user-names for the people sending the spam, some of the ones I get in work are choice.

pineapple stu
22/03/2006, 12:51 PM
The UCD Supporters' Club got one once (about four or five years ago now) offering us the job of Mali national coach at the upcoming African Nations Championships! To this day, I can't work out what the catch was, as I don't remember them asking for money or bank details or anything (I'm fairly sure there was a catch, and wasn't about to fly out to Mali to meet these people; just curious as to how I was supposed to be an idiot). One of the lads (@ndy) replied back for the laugh saying he used to play with Millwall but retired through injury before taking UCD to the Group Stages of the Champions' League...hey presto, we got offered the job! One of the more interesting spams I've seen in a long while. :)

A face
22/03/2006, 2:19 PM
Aside from the fact that if I had an internet café I wouldn't allow it, if you took that attitude towards it, I'd kick your head in. No offense like, but if that's your attitude to other people's investments...

Ah .... dahamsta, i opened it at home .... i am bad, but i'm not that bad.
Its was just spam. Jebus man !! :eek:

The reason i included that is because i used to work with a girl who openly used to do that, to which we all reacted the same as you (although not as strong :) )

dahamsta
22/03/2006, 4:16 PM
If you had to deal with the muppets I had to deal with face...

(Today I had a guy indignantly moving to H365 becuase his email was down for a week and a half. This despite the fact that I've explained to several people in his company several times that I only forward their mail to Eircom, and that that's exactly what's been happening. Then he asks me for the details he needs to transfer to H365, because H365 told him he needs them, despite the fact that, well, he doesn't for an IE domain. Lord protect me from these people.)