PDA

View Full Version : Fine Times at Sligo?

A face
17/03/2006, 3:45 PM
Fine Times at Sligo?

‘To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing’, so says US author Elbert Hubbard. With this in mind the recent decision by the powers that be to fine Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor €1200 sets a dangerous precedent in Irish football. Connor's ‘crime’ was to criticise a referee who sent off one of his players in a pre-season friendly. The reality in football is that nobody is beyond criticism including referees, players, managers, administrators, the FAI, the eircom League and the PFAI.

We are all responsible for our actions and if somebody disagrees with what we say or do then they have the right to reply or redress, be it in the media or a court of law. The fostering of a non-critical environment within Irish football by fining players, managers and officials can only be detrimental to the growth of the domestic game.

Read more at www.pfai.ie (http://www.pfai.ie/index.php?mod=one&id=14905&PHPSESSID=064db907fe580b24599bf13ce5eb042a)

sligoman
17/03/2006, 3:53 PM
It's ridiculous what Connor was fined for, all he said was that Paul Deering is not welcome in the Showgies(something all Rovers fans would back him up on). He harshly sent Chris Turner off against junior side St.John's in pre-season.

A face
17/03/2006, 3:59 PM
It's ridiculous what Connor was fined for, all he said was that Paul Deering is not welcome in the Showgies(something all Rovers fans would back him up on). He harshly sent Chris Turner off against junior side St.John's in pre-season.

There are loads of refs not welcome at the Cross, we'd being paying through the nose if the same were applied to us. :D

Soko
17/03/2006, 5:15 PM
This is a wind up. He gets fined €1200 for criticising ref for a game with a junior club? Imagine what they'll do when Fenlon, Kenny, Richardson go on the rampage...... oh wait, they'll do nothing.

A face
17/03/2006, 5:35 PM
This is a wind up. He gets fined €1200 for criticising ref for a game with a junior club? Imagine what they'll do when Fenlon, Kenny, Richardson go on the rampage...... oh wait, they'll do nothing.

Its probably no harm in sending something off to the league on this. It does seem a bit mad to be fair.

info@fai.ie

BohDiddley
17/03/2006, 5:51 PM
€1,200 is completely over the top.

BohsFans
17/03/2006, 10:00 PM
€1,200 is completely over the top.

€1,000 suspended if he keeps his mouth shut til the end of the season.

A face
18/03/2006, 12:41 AM
€1,000 suspended if he keeps his mouth shut til the end of the season.

What? .... i'm missing something here i think. What do you mean €1000 suspended? If there is anything more said he loses another €1000 ... that cant be right is it?

sligoman
18/03/2006, 12:46 AM
What? .... i'm missing something here i think. What do you mean €1000 suspended? If there is anything more said he loses another €1000 ... that cant be right is it?No, I think a fine of €1000 is suspended provided he doesn't criticise refs all season.

That's justice, well done F.A.I.:rolleyes:.

EDIT: Taken from the original thread on this:
The Management Committee of the League decided that €1,000 of the fine be suspended until the end of the 2006 season on condition that Mr Connor refrains from making similar comments during the course of the 2006 season. It was also decided that in the event of a re-offence, the €1,000 will be payable immediately and any such additional offence or offences will be dealt with separately.

A face
18/03/2006, 1:51 AM
No, I think a fine of €1000 is suspended provided he doesn't criticise refs all season.

That's justice, well done F.A.I.:rolleyes:.

EDIT: Taken from the original thread on this:

Oh jebus H Crimbo ... that cannot be true.
So they basically want to silence the fella ..... even though he might have some thing decent to actually contribute he has to keep this trap shut .... this is not true ... it cant be .... this get better and better

Bare in mind people .....

These are the exactly same people, no change, no difference

That will be dealing with the infamous, the record breaking ...

History changing ....

Shels non-tax paying debacle !!
Think about it !!

Student Mullet
18/03/2006, 3:05 AM
Today's STIGG on the issue.

sfc red
18/03/2006, 8:38 AM
Oh jebus H Crimbo ... that cannot be true.
So they basically want to silence the fella ..... even though he might have some thing decent to actually contribute he has to keep this trap shut .... this is not true ... it cant be .... this get better and better

Bare in mind people .....

These are the exactly same people, no change, no difference

That will be dealing with the infamous, the record breaking ...

History changing ....

Shels non-tax paying debacle !!
Think about it !!

Get over it will ya FFS, your getting embarassing at this stage

gustavo
18/03/2006, 10:21 AM
This may be an aside but i was there and i thought Turner did deserve to be sent off.

Rory H
19/03/2006, 11:24 AM
deering was front row in front of the bohs dugout last night

clearly he needs another warning:D