PDA

View Full Version : Rivaldo cheat?

pete
04/06/2002, 11:36 AM
Anyone see Brazil v Turkey.

Brazil the better team but Turkey did well & were very unlucky. Worst refereeing in the competition so far gave Brazil a penalty that wasn't & got another player sent off for Rivaldos play acting. 1/10 for the ref.

Appears FIFA are going to "look at the video carefully" before deciding what to do. Since FIFA making such a big deal of booking players who try to con the referees IMO Rivaldo should at the very least get a yellow card.

niamh
04/06/2002, 1:40 PM
That was always going to be a tough game and there should have been a more experienced and more able referee to ref it instead of one from the host nations.

The refereeing in general has been good so far, but I've just gone and jinxed them.

Rivaldo deserves to be booked for what happened. It's will do their reputation no good if they just fine him for what was such a clear dive.

Éanna
04/06/2002, 3:19 PM
firstly i think rivaldo should be suspended for what he did, the guy was going anyway for kicking it at him. Secondly, although the ref is getting (rightly) bad press, I think that psychopathic looking linesman should be crucified for his inactivity. He was standing at rivaldos shoulder when it happened and did NOTHING. Assistant referees me ******

Colm
04/06/2002, 3:24 PM
Rivaldo said he wasnt cheating he was just using his experience.
What a load of sh*t!

brine2
04/06/2002, 3:32 PM
Ronald de Boer did exactly the same thing in the last minute against the Czech Republic at Euro 2000 - and he wasn't even touched. They should have fined him and voided Holland's win.

pete
04/06/2002, 4:33 PM
Maybe that Korean ref should check out the rules on the fifa world cup site (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/020604/2/qny.html) ?

Minor Infringements.....
E failing to comply with the required distance during corner kicks or free kicks; -> about 4 or 5 Brazilian players at Turkey free kick in 2nd half
G leaving the field of play without prior permission from the referee; H play acting (diving, feigning injury, etc.); -> Rivaldo

:rolleyes:

Serious Infringements.....
K spitting at an opponent or anyone else;

hmmmm i wonder when they added that specific "foul".

:D

Jack_2001
05/06/2002, 12:47 AM
The brazilian coach said that when the ball hit rivaldo on the leg it bounced up into the air and then rivaldo put his hands over his face to avoid being hit by the ball as it bounced up!!!

In all f ucking fairness like!

Wizzard
05/06/2002, 10:06 AM
SEOUL, June 5 (AFP) - Brazilian star Rivaldo on Wednesday escaped a ban for his self-confessed faked injury which got a Turkish opponent sent off. FIFA's disciplinary committee said it would only fine Rivaldo 11,500 Swiss francs (7,350 dollars) for the first major case of what referees call "simulation" in the Group C match on Monday which Brazil won 2-1.

Football's international governing body had promised a clampdown on cheating during the tournament.

FIFA spokesman Keith Cooper said no further comment would be made on the case until a regular briefing on Thursday and would not even say what offence Rivaldo had been found guilty of.

But a top FIFA official said the case had been the subject of "tremendous pressure" from all sides involved.

Rivaldo admitted after the match that he had deliberately exaggerated an injury, holding his face after Turkish defender Hakan Unsal had kicked the ball at his legs, in a bid to get Unsal sent off.

Unsal was one of two Turks sent off in the heated match which Brazil won thanks to a controversial penalty that led to a red card for Turkish defender Alpay Ozalan.

"The FIFA disciplinary committee today announced that they had imposed a total fine of 11,500 Swiss francs on Rivaldo (Bra) for an incident in the June 3 match between Brazil and Turkey," said a FIFA statement.

It said there was a basic fine of 10,000 Swiss francs with 1,500 Swiss francs in expenses.

The fine is less than half a day's wages for the Barcelona star whose contract with the Spanish club alone is worth six million dollars a year.

He said after Monday's game: "Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off.

"The ball hit my hand and my leg. It didn't hit me in the face but that kind of attitude (kicking the ball against an opponent) must not be allowed on the pitch. He deserved to have a red card."

Turkey's coach Senol Gunes said the result of the game "was a tremendous injustice" because of the refereeing of Kim Young-Joo, the first South Korean to control a World Cup game, who made several debatable calls.

The 86th-minute penalty decision was also shrouded in controversy. Alpay was clearly outside the penalty area when he started pulling the shirt of Luizao.

Several international football figures condemned Rivaldo.

Germany coach Rudi Voller said he was dismayed by the incident. "A player like Rivaldo doesn't need to behave like that," he said.

Spanish midfielder Ivan Helguera meanwhile had called for the Brazilian to be punished. "I really didn't like what happened, not one bit," he said.

Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari on Tuesday defended his player, insisting that "he was protecting his face from the ball." Scolari said the case had been exaggerated by the media.

FIFAWorldcup.ie (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/020605/8/rhi.html)[B]

pete
05/06/2002, 11:08 AM
Disgraceful copout of a decision by FIFA.

Theres already been a few players booked for diving in the penalty box & probably a couple of others booked for making too much of a tackle.

If Rivaldo was playing for a smaller country you can be sure he'd probably be banned.

The Legend
05/06/2002, 3:29 PM
I agree... at least a one game ban was in order to teach that fool a lesson...

A fine that small would come out of the loose change in his sports car.