PDA

View Full Version : Easter Rising Commemorations

ccfcman
17/03/2006, 11:03 AM
Having finished off my Leaving Cert way back in , erm 2004, I've had Irish history on the brain for many a year, and 1916 was always a big topic. And I genuinely grew a big interest in the topic. With the 90th anniversary being commemorated in a large public manner this year, I'm wondering are people expecting a spot of Union Jack bashing up in Dublin, will people care, or will blind ignorance be the order of the day.

Soper
17/03/2006, 3:04 PM
Nike are releasing commerative shoes for the anniversary haha

jebus
19/03/2006, 12:13 PM
To be honest I doubt anyone will care that much, sure its not like the Easter Rising was important enough in this county's history to warrant a parade, like say a Welsh guy driving a few snake's out of the country

Thunderblaster
20/03/2006, 1:04 AM
Every country commemorates defining moments towards their independence and to be honest, the Easter Rising was never properly celebrated in a national sense. Okay, it was not supported at the time and it was only after the executions that the tide of opinions changed. It is like the French not celebrating the storming of the Bastille or the Americans treating the 4th of July like an ordinary day. At the end of the day, the 1916 Volunteers sacrificed their lives for a cause they believed in. If these guys were anyways afraid of death, they would never have being involved in the first place and the volunteers knew that death would be the ultimate honour.