PDA

View Full Version : Steve Finnan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Neil
03/06/2002, 9:30 AM
[soccercentral.ie] (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=7235&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes)

Steve Finnan has revealed that Mick McCarthy's half-time pep-talk did the trick for the Republic of Ireland against Cameroon. While the Limerick born defender was disappointed not to start he believes that you have to be selfless and await your chance in the squad, just like Matt Holland had to take over from Roy Keane when needed.

"The boss' half-time team talk certainly did the trick. He basically wanted more sharpness to our play, both in the tackle and on the ball, and you see from the way we came out after the break that it paid dividends. I don't think anyone was overawed by the occasion before the break but we certainly didn't quite have the bite we need in our play. I think everyone was nervous about doing too much too early in the energy-sapping conditions."

Shelsman
12/09/2002, 1:08 PM
Should Jeff Kenna be recalled to the Irish Squad given Finnan's poor performance and Carr's injury?

He might be able to provide cover at left back. I don't remember him playing a bad game for Ireland.

pete
12/09/2002, 1:59 PM
Seem the obvious answer to one bad performance by Finnan - Supposed to have been one of the best fullbacks in england last year + he had a great World Cup.

:rolleyes:

Éanna
12/09/2002, 7:31 PM
Finnan had one bad game. no need to crucify the guy over it. We should be more worried about the likes of Kilbane and harte who turn out poor performances repeatedly and never get dropped. If Carr is fit, he's first choice, if not Gary Kelly or Finnan will get the nod.

BTW, has anyone thought of possibly putting Cunningham at right full and John O'Shea in the centre- Cunningham is a natural full back AFAIK.

brine2
12/09/2002, 11:22 PM
If Carr returns then Finnan can replace McAteer at right midfield. That's his best position I think.

Yeah, Cunningham usually played right back for Wimbledon.

joneel
09/06/2003, 11:54 AM
no doubt they'll ruin him in time!

brine2
09/06/2003, 1:32 PM
They'll take the attacking out of attacking full back!

Éanna
09/06/2003, 8:21 PM
when i saw the title of the thread i just thought "oh no" Houllier is responsible for the dourest most appalling football I've ever seen- even worse the gunther! He'll wreck finnan- just hope he doesn't get his hands on the duffer or we're in big trouble.

John83
10/06/2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by brine2
They'll take the attacking out of attacking full back!

He'll probably deploy him on the right side of midfield - like he does Riise on the left. It's hard to see Caragher making way, especially with Diouf being the other alternative to drop.

noby
10/06/2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by John83
He'll probably deploy him on the right side of midfield

He'll probably deploy him out of position, or on the bench, for a soul destroying 3 years of the prime of his career, as Liverpool seem to do.
just ask the likes of patrik berger.

hopefully he'll slot in instead of carragher, and develop into the player he has the potential to be.hopefully.

tiktok
11/06/2003, 7:38 PM
and now they want duff as well,
probably need to develop someone into a hard tackling left back

@ndy
19/06/2003, 11:35 AM
Poor Duff is stung at blackburn. Pretty disappointed with Souness' attitude and i really hope Duff isn't affected next season if he stays at a club he wants to leave.

tiktok
19/06/2003, 6:16 PM
i'm actually not that sure about the level of duff's ambition, there's really very little a club can do to hold you if you ask to be transfer listed, i get the impression that (despite the interest in him) duff is quite happy to be the big fish in the small pond.

even david dunn took a move to (smaller) birmingham to get out from under souness.

@ndy
22/06/2003, 3:27 PM
But if they slap a price tag on you that is too high, what can the player do only hope someone forks out?

tiktok
23/06/2003, 12:41 AM
why? how much does souness want?

@ndy
23/06/2003, 2:33 AM
STG15 million i think.

tiktok
23/06/2003, 4:58 PM
yeah, given the current state of transfers and the fact that arsenal will pick up harry kewell for less than that 15million is a bit steep. there's only three or four clubs that could afford it, utd are after ronaldhino, arsenal after kewell, (unless these moves fall through i can't see them splashing any more out) chelsea and liverpool have been quiet. i guess he's staying where he is.

ElSieteSecretos
24/04/2004, 6:52 PM
Did anyones see the futball today? How did Finnan play ? I think he has only 2 appreances for Republic of Ireland.. he should get a 'run around' by kerr soon!

adamcarr
24/04/2004, 7:20 PM
He has had 25 appearances and 1 goal :rolleyes:

ElSieteSecretos
24/04/2004, 7:29 PM
hes a defender

adamcarr
25/04/2004, 11:38 AM
...And that is why he has only scored 1 goal!

eirebhoy
25/04/2004, 12:39 PM
ElSieteSecretos, did you actually ever see Ireland play? You said in another thread that you didn't know if O'Brien featured in the Ireland squad much and now you think Finnan has just 2 caps.

ElSieteSecretos
25/04/2004, 1:16 PM
so the bbc have told me

carnstien
25/04/2004, 1:24 PM
As I'm sure you are all aware, Steve Finnan played on the right wing for Liverpool against Man United, and played very well.

Seeing as Ireland have no established right winger and Finnan has never been anything but exceptional when he has pulled on an Ireland jersey, surley he should play on the right wing in the upcoming qualifiers?

czarner
25/04/2004, 5:38 PM
Absolutely agree. Don't understand why he hasn't been considered in this position more often as he's often played there for his clubs, though I think Kerr did try him there with Carr at right-back in some game about a year back? Anyway, I think a fit Finnan is too good to be left out of the ideal first team. He's played at left back a bit too, hasn't he?

1MickCollins
25/04/2004, 6:06 PM
"Anonymous" was the description of his perfomance against Utd. Finnan still has not settled in at Liverpool, not easy to settle in when the team is playing utter crap. Houillier go now and take you lousy signings with you (except Finnan of course ).

Eirambler
25/04/2004, 6:08 PM
Finnan nearly always played right mid when he was at Notts County. Its definitely worth a look at in one of the forthcoming friendlies. I wonder could he be a late inclusion for the Poland game with all the withdrawals (similar to Miller against the Czechs).

There seems to be a lot of competition for the right side slot all of a sudden. Steven Reid's back from injury, McAteer as well, Andy Reid can play there, Miller of course and it might be Hollands best bet now that Keane is back.

Footie_Fan
25/04/2004, 6:37 PM
Did anyones see the futball today? How did Finnan play ? I think he has only 2 appreances for Republic of Ireland.. he should get a 'run around' by kerr soon!

I think you should go and find out about a bit about Ireland before you make a post again.

Slash/ED
25/04/2004, 6:42 PM
I think the main reason he played right wing was to double mark Ronaldo. That's why he came off when Ronaldo switched wings (though he also was very tired I'd imagine)

I don't know if he's a long term option there for club or for country, I'd much rather see him tried left back.

ElSieteSecretos
25/04/2004, 6:46 PM
Fulham - Jun 03 / Present
Gls Apps Sub on Sub off

League * 0 0 0 0 0 0
FA Cup 0 0 0 0 0 0
League Cup 0 0 0 0 0 0
European/Others 0 0 0 0 0 0
Rep of Ireland 0 2 0 1 0 0
* Includes Play-Offs

I think you should go and find out about a bit about Ireland before you make a post again.

yeah I thinks so to!

I agree, he was "Anonymous" on the match against Man Utd, got taken off as well. that team needs a new manager; )

pineapple stu
25/04/2004, 7:29 PM
That;d be twice this season so... Bit of a difference to twice ever!

Footie_Fan
25/04/2004, 10:15 PM
Steve Finnan played on the right wing for Liverpool against Man United, and played very well.

I only saw the highlights but the Sunday Independant remarked that he was "anonymous." And Liverpool only started creating anything down the right when Smicer came on.

finlma
26/04/2004, 8:31 AM

What's your story? Do you know anything about Irish soccer? Can you do a little research before you make any more stupid posts.

carnstien
11/08/2004, 9:24 AM
Looks like Steve Finnan is set to start the season as Liverpools 1st choice right winger now that they have finally gotten rid of that donkey Houllier. He played there last night in the CL qualifier and had a great game, passed the ball well and put in some fine deliveries.

The way I see it, if Finnan plays right midfield for Liverpool this season, he plays there for Ireland too, which means with Duff and Keane also gaurenteed places, there is one midfield place up for grabs. If Miller makes his mark at United I think that spot will be his. When is the last time all 4 of out midfielders were playing 1st team football at Champions league clubs?

On another note, Darren Potter came on as a sub last night, which means he is in Benitez's plans, which is fantastic news for us.

carnstien
11/08/2004, 9:37 AM
Why? What if he's ****?

Scan if you'd watched the game last night you'd know that Finnan is anything but ****. If we are going to have a chance of winning the World Cup we have to play guys who are doing it at the highest level, that means Finnan, we won't get anywhere with people Breen, Maybury or Holland who are barley division 1 standard.

tiktok
11/08/2004, 9:37 AM
Didn't watch all of the game last night but Finnan did play well there, should be an option to look at.

pete
11/08/2004, 9:44 AM
Finnan is no right winger!

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 9:52 AM
Finnan is no right winger!

Have to agree with that. Cannot see Finnan playing right midfield being anything more than a temporary measure. Doesn't have enough creativity.

Peadar
11/08/2004, 9:58 AM
should be an option to look at.

My memory might be going but didn't he play there for Ireland before?
I'm sure I saw him in Lansdowne Rd. playing in that position at least once for Ireland.
I certainly don't think it's a revelation of any sorts because Carr is a better full-back than Finnan so to accommodate him in the team it was always going to be either left-full or right side of midfield.
Incidently, Graham Barrett scored for Coventry last night in their 2-1 defeat by Cardiff at Ninian Park.
Still reckon he's as good an option on the right as Finnan.
Last nights game for Liverpool was poor against a poor team.
Let's not get carried away about Finnan just yet.
Playing well against AK Graz in a UEFA Champions League qualifier doesn't signal that he's got what it takes to be a World Cup winner.

eirebhoy
11/08/2004, 10:11 AM
Finnan did not run past a player once last night. He tried twice and failed although he was doubled up on for most of the match. He had an average game but one thing I have to complement him on was his set pieces. His corners and free kicks were top class and most of the time a Liverpool player was on the end of them.

Good to see Benitez giving the likes of Potter a chance. All the years of foreign coaches at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I haven't seen one Irish player come through the ranks and establish himself in the first team.

ccfcman
11/08/2004, 10:14 AM
liverpool were dire anyway,finnan from what i saw was steady enough

Peadar
11/08/2004, 10:33 AM
All the years of foreign coaches at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I haven't seen one Irish player come through the ranks and establish himself in the first team.

Unfortunately Potter and Elliot and co. are our best prospects for the future but they're not good enough to break into the likes of Arsenal. It takes a player with something like Gael Clichy, Francesc Fabregas or Jeremie Aliadiere to make that breakthrough. Even David Bentley has been put out on loan.
There's still hope for Graham Stack, Patrick Cregg and Stephen O'Donnell at Arsenal though.

Stuttgart88
11/08/2004, 10:35 AM
Didn't Finnan play his first game for Ireland right side of midfield (3-0 home win over Finland about 4 years ago)? He had a great game that night and scored a decent goal.

I saw him play right midfield for Fulham vs Arsenal the season before last. He had Ashley Cole in his pocket, was up and down the touchline all afternoon and put in some great crosses. I remember he missed a sitter early on with his head too but at lesat it shows he can get into the box.

I think Finnan is a very credible candidate for the right midfield spot, though my preference is for Reid (Andy) and Duff on the wings, interchanging throughout the game.

carnstien
11/08/2004, 10:42 AM
Have to agree with that. Cannot see Finnan playing right midfield being anything more than a temporary measure. Doesn't have enough creativity.
Well boss all of Liverpool's attacks seemed to come from the right hand side yesterday. Kewell on the left would be percieved as being a much more creative player but Finnan produced alot more than him.

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 10:46 AM
All the years of foreign coaches at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I haven't seen one Irish player come through the ranks and establish himself in the first team.

Haven't seen too many English players break through at these teams either. Have to be a player of tremendous talent or French to do that. Young lad Fabregas at Arsenal at 17 looks exceptional despite looking like he has a dead animal on his head.

I think Potter and Partridge are good enough to do it at Liverpool this year. Saw Arsenal in League Cup last year and they have so many fantastic young players i'm not surprised Stephen Bradley was released. Will there ever be a youth team player come through again at Chelsea?

Bowsy
11/08/2004, 10:51 AM
Well boss all of Liverpool's attacks seemed to come from the right hand side yesterday. Kewell on the left would be percieved as being a much more creative player but Finnan produced alot more than him.

Not entirely dismissing it but don't get carried away. He had a good game against a dreadful side. As someone rightly said his set pieces were excellent but he's hardly going to cause left fulls nightmares.

Junior
11/08/2004, 10:55 AM
he played ok in the 2nd half which is all I saw. A good few Liverpool fans in work here reckon Finnan will only be a squad player this year. I'm not sure what they are basing this on, seeing as benietez (sp) is only new on the scene.

NeilMcD
11/08/2004, 11:02 AM
Spurs are the latest club to be linked with Liverpool's out of favour right-back Steve Finnan.

Just twelve months into his Anfield career, the Irish international has been usurped in the reds starting line up by new Spanish signing Josemi, and a proposed £2m move to Blackburn has yet to be finalised.

Finnan has also been linked with a move to former club Fulham, but with Spurs now looking to replace Finnan's Republic of Ireland team mate, Stephen Carr, who has just left for Newcastle, a move to White Hart Lane is likely to hold greater appeal for the 28-year-old from Limerick.

Santini had been hoping to hold onto Carr, but Newcastle's dogged persistence of the full-back has finally paid off and leaves Spurs with 20-year-old Stephen Kelly as their only recognised right-back - although Mauricio Taricco is likely to start the season in that position.

Republic of Ireland Under-21 captain Kelly impressed when filling in for Carr last season, but Santini wants to bring in a more experienced replacement for Carr before the transfer window closes.

4tothefloor
11/08/2004, 11:34 AM
I'm a Liverpool fan and I thought Finnan was average last night. A RM is a must buy for Liverpool if they are to challenge this season.

It looks like Xabi Alonso is on his way to Liverpool, so if anything you will see Gerrard playing a more attacking role out on the right. Furthermore, if the Owen deal to Real Madrid goes through, Benitez will spend the money on a RM, namely Juanfran in a possible swap deal with Real, Luis Garcia of Barcelona, or Shaun Wright Philips of Man City. Finnan certainly won't be playing there regularly, unless a definsive approach is needed. He'll more than likely be spending the season as backup to Josemi, and if Jon Otsemobor can up his game a bit and impress Benitez, Finnan will probably be sold to raise cash.

John83
11/08/2004, 1:31 PM
Well boss all of Liverpool's attacks seemed to come from the right hand side yesterday. Kewell on the left would be percieved as being a much more creative player but Finnan produced alot more than him.Kewell's just back from an injury. I doubt he was fully fit.