PDA

View Full Version : Advertising during Setanta Cup

paudie
15/03/2006, 1:10 PM
It's probably a good sign that there is noticeably more advertising than last year on Setanta during the Cup games.

Presumably advertising agencies are happy enough with the viewing figures.

I'm off now to book my Inland Waterways holiday and learn some Ulster Scots:D

dcfcsteve
15/03/2006, 1:36 PM
Noticed that as well meself. Looks like it is the Setanta Cup specifically that has brought those ads in.

The Ulster Scots one does tickle me. I'm a huge fan of linguistic diversity - but you won't find any serious/self-respecting linguistics scholar who claims it is a language. An important dialect - yes. But not a language.

I love the bit at the end of the ad when the guy translates it all into Ulster Scots. Just sounds like a Ballymena man talking slang really fast.... :p

I see they've also put an ad in as Gaeilge - probably for the purposes of balance !

Good to see that the games appear to be directly attracting revenue for Setanta though.

pete
15/03/2006, 1:48 PM
I read that Umbro paid 100k euro to sponsor the tv shows on Setanta for this years competition which isn't too bad for Setanta.

BohDiddley
15/03/2006, 3:06 PM
Healthy signals, but don't you think they are laying them on rather heavily?

gspain
15/03/2006, 3:09 PM
Yes important that they are successful.

No harm in letting them know when subscribing/renewing why you are buying it.

I just realised last night in conversation that I haven't watched a single SPL game this season. Apart from the Setanta sports Cup and a few 3pm saturday premiership games I've hardly watched the channel. I did watch the Hub once and it looks to be decent too. The Italian football is on Bravo and their UEFA games are normally on Five or ITV4. Hardly good value for the sub but will no doubt continue once this competition is going strong.

Peadar
15/03/2006, 3:42 PM
Apart from the Setanta sports Cup and a few 3pm saturday premiership games I've hardly watched the channel.

They're going to be showing a good few eL games again this season so you've got plenty time to get more use from your subscription.
We get it as part of the basic NTL package but I doubt I'd consider subscribing to it in it's current format.

No interest in Scotish football and have yet to watch a Premiership game on Setanta.

sonofstan
15/03/2006, 4:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of linguistic diversity

hard to chant during a game though... and as for the guy who goes 'give me an L ....'

Poor Student
15/03/2006, 5:00 PM
Does anyone thing there's nothing more morbid than the intro to the Setanta Cup with that awful music and the flickering bit between the teams/towns involved? My brother described it as giving you a feeling of coldness. It does nothing for the tournament at all.

CollegeTillIDie
16/03/2006, 6:50 AM
Just a small point. One of the NI advertisers only put their number on in the 0044 028 *********** format.
From the Republic the number would be 048 *********** .
Why not include both?

Just a small point but Republic based advertisers always include a number for Northern viewers especially when there are phone-ins involved.

Dodge
16/03/2006, 9:20 AM
Well its their decision. if they don't want the business.... who cares?!?

Anyway, I like the Setanta intro. A bit hapahazard with some standing in front of historical monuments, some in front of club gates and some on the poitch but overall gives an impression that its not a mickey mouse competetion. The single biggest factor letting down the league has always been marketing. At the very least Seetanta are trying to market it properly.

dcfcsteve
16/03/2006, 12:00 PM
Does anyone thing there's nothing more morbid than the intro to the Setanta Cup with that awful music and the flickering bit between the teams/towns involved? My brother described it as giving you a feeling of coldness. It does nothing for the tournament at all.

I agree with Dodge on this - I quite like it.

I love the way there's no recognisable landmarks for Portadown or Dungannon, so they have to use their club gates.... :D

anto eile
16/03/2006, 8:18 PM

i think its a decent intro...
but it does have an eerie feel to it. like the bit where they were watching the tape in the ring

Risteard
18/03/2006, 10:00 AM
I always only catch a glimpse of it in the pub.
What are the landmarks?
Ports and Dungannon Stadiums.
Harland & Woolf & the Waterfront
Spire?
Shandon/Port of Cork?
Derry?

dcfcsteve
18/03/2006, 2:15 PM
What are the landmarks?
Spire?
Shandon/Port of Cork?
Derry?

Jaysus feckin Crisp - you're asking what the landmark is in the Derry bit ??? :eek: :o

Errrr - it's only the famous City walls, with the Guildhall in the background.

You know - the only complete set of medieval walls left in this part of North-western Europe. The ones that withstood the longest ever siege in British or Irish history....? The ones that played an absolutely pivotal role in the direction of European history 300 years ago. The ones that - oh, forget it. I sense it's wasted on yee uneducated Dubs....

Dodge
18/03/2006, 2:34 PM
He's a Corkie...

iceman
18/03/2006, 10:16 PM
What are the landmarks?
Spire?
Shandon/Port of Cork?
Derry?

Drogs - Millmount Tower & the beach at Mosney (Drogs training ground)

dcfcsteve
19/03/2006, 12:30 AM
He's a Corkie...

It's that red kit on his avatar. Makes him look like a Shels fan

Should've wrote "uneducated free-staters..." :D

CollegeTillIDie
19/03/2006, 8:34 AM
It's that red kit on his avatar. Makes him look like a Shels fan

It's.... I should've written.... you ignorant person from the "occupied territories" :D

pete
19/03/2006, 2:12 PM

Yeah the ones that saved the country from British rule. Ok well most of the country anyway. ;)

dcfcsteve
19/03/2006, 6:59 PM
Yeah the ones that saved the country from British rule. Ok well most of the country anyway. ;)

You mean the ones who sold their own fellow countrymen into continuing subservience, just so they could have limited independence '40 pieces of silver'-stylee themselves....?

Put it like that,. I'm sure you'd prefer undeucated....... :p

Risteard
19/03/2006, 8:20 PM
Explanation = I didn't see it.