PDA

View Full Version : Tragic death at Co. Clare Primary School

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0315/foxk.html
God Love his Family. My heart goes out to them.
Surely the school should be sure all students have left before locking up(not that I'm trying to lay blame for what is an abosolute tragic accident)

Risteard
15/03/2006, 1:18 PM
That's fecking absolutely tragic. :(
For once, there's absolutely nothing at all that could be done to prevent something like that happening.
Tragic. In my opinion, that sort of thing shouldn't be in the national news though.

micls
15/03/2006, 1:29 PM
Junior Infants...
Thats tragic and so sad.

R.I.P

Peadar
15/03/2006, 2:40 PM
For once, there's absolutely nothing at all that could be done to prevent something like that happening.

Not leaving 4 year old children unsupervised in a public building might be a start.

In my opinion, that sort of thing shouldn't be in the national news though.

Why not?
There was a complete failure to protect this child and that should be highlighted.

Risteard
15/03/2006, 4:00 PM
I just think lots of families throughout Ireland suffer tragedies with a similar drama but their privacy is respected eg. suicides in public daylight etc.
Obviously they must deal with it anyway but i think it doesn't need to be reported.
I know what you're saying though, not gonna argue over this.
R.I.P.

hamish
15/03/2006, 6:05 PM
Oh dear God, I was just on a high chatting with Noby and Shakedown and I've just come across this dreadful story here on Footie. What a terrible thing to happen. God help the poor family.
As a former teacher, I always dreaded some young kid getting hurt on the footie field or in the yard but this is just awful.
This brings back to me a tradegy when one of my students was killed (and others) too in a minibus with tourists when a tree fell on the bus they were in outside Portumna. I heard about it en route to the Showgrounds when Town were away to Rovers in January 2000. Fearbheag will remember. I'll never forget that.

FarBeag
16/03/2006, 8:48 PM
Remember that all right Noel.There was a girl that was one or two year above me that died.It's so tragic when something like this happens especially when they are just starting off in life.I can't imagine how the parents are feeling right now.

CollegeTillIDie
17/03/2006, 9:45 AM
Sympathies to the family

But surely in a small school with relatively small numbers a few last minute checks before lock up could be managed?

Maz
17/03/2006, 9:49 AM
Absolutely heartbreaking tragedy....Sympathies to his family and friends

R.I.P

ccfcman
17/03/2006, 9:51 AM
This was a sickener, on a slightly un-related note, it fell on the same week as the ten year anniversary of Dunblaine, puts it all into perspective I guess :(

dcfcsteve
19/03/2006, 1:37 PM
Difficult to know how the school could've locked a kid in - but then again, these things can happen. I got locked in my gym on a Saturday night when I lived in Newcastle. I dozed off in the sauna just before closing time, and woke up to find myself in total darkness ! They'd obviously not checked in there (or checked before i went in), and assumed everyone was out. As soon as I felt me way out of the sauna, all the feckin alarm went off. I ended up having to dial 999, as the only phone there was a payphone and I'd no money on me. The Police were in no hurry to come, and I had a date that night, so I ended up rummaging around until I found keys for the door. So I left a note, let myself out, and then posted the keys back through the letterbox. Took me over an hour to get out, and it wasn't great for an adult to be in a position like that - so I can imagine the wee kid in Clare must've been absolutely terrified.

On a vaguely related matter, a teenager at my old secondary school died a few years after i left when the big wooden crossbar on one of the goals came down on his head when he was playing in-nets. It was a big wooden beam bolted onto 2 bigger wooden posts (gaelic nets), and it did used to rattle whenever you smacked a shot against it. In hindsight, it falling down was likely to happen at some point if it didn't get re-bolted on. Nasty accident. I don't think anything happened to the school about it.

sligoman
19/03/2006, 1:43 PM
Jesus that's a shocking story. R.I.P.:(.

micls
24/03/2006, 3:41 PM
Difficult to know how the school could've locked a kid in - but then again, these things can happen.

Just didnt know he was there. Was outside school time.
Tragic accident. I really hope his brother finds a way to overcome this-more than one life ruined :(

dcfcsteve
24/03/2006, 3:54 PM
Just didnt know he was there. Was outside school time.
Tragic accident. I really hope his brother finds a way to overcome this-more than one life ruined :(

Unless he was hiding in a cupboard or something, how did they not see him ? Surely they do a sweep of each room as they go through the routine of locking up at night (e.g. checking all windows are locked, heating off, etc etc).

hamish
24/03/2006, 3:58 PM
On a vaguely related matter, a teenager at my old secondary school died a few years after i left when the big wooden crossbar on one of the goals came down on his head when he was playing in-nets. It was a big wooden beam bolted onto 2 bigger wooden posts (gaelic nets), and it did used to rattle whenever you smacked a shot against it. In hindsight, it falling down was likely to happen at some point if it didn't get re-bolted on. Nasty accident. I don't think anything happened to the school about it.

Oh sweet Jesus, don't remind me - same thing happened with a Primary Schools league I ran in the 90s. Fcuking referee didn't turn up forone game and the two Principals went ahead anyway and the home one didn't check one of the goals - you can guess the rest.
I had written to all school principals NOT to run a game if the ref didn't turn up.
Thank heavens the young lad suffered from a bruised leg only (!) as the crossbar literally skimmed his head but it went to court and the school was found negligent. The league still was entered as defendants but our rules re refs stood to us.
Still gives me nightmares - that crossbar was very heavy and other inch..........

drinkfeckarse
25/03/2006, 8:37 AM
Only came across this story now, absolutely horrible.

R.I.P little man.

Risteard
25/03/2006, 10:58 AM
Another story in the papers yesterday about a teacher locked in a school for four days over Paddys Day weekend.:eek:

dcfcsteve
26/03/2006, 6:39 AM
Another story in the papers yesterday about a teacher locked in a school for four days over Paddys Day weekend.:eek:

Really?? A grown adult ???

Didn't they have a phone, or think about breaking a downstairs window...? Madness....

Macy
27/03/2006, 7:41 AM
Really?? A grown adult ???

Didn't they have a phone, or think about breaking a downstairs window...? Madness....
It was a special school, and she was trapped in the corridor, as the class rooms were locked (on the last word they said there are additional security measures in these schools, so not like being trapped in a normal school). Her bag and phone were in one of the class rooms. She must have been in the jacks when the school was locked. She's a widow, with grown up children, so wasn't missed. Lucky she still had access to the toilet, as that was her only source of water.