PDA

View Full Version : Dunphy tonight....

joe
01/06/2002, 8:21 PM
gave his repsonse to the 'hundreds of callers' complainging about his attitude and got very emotional.

FYI here's the Irish Times article (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/worldcup2002/news/0601/ire1.htm) he mentioned

Neil
02/06/2002, 9:54 AM
Eamon Dunphy, not for the first time during a World Cup finals, invoked the ire of a nation last night on RTE television.
Dunphy was reacting to a flood of calls of complaint to RTE, saying he had hoped Ireland would lose to Cameroon yesterday, and admitting he wants Germany and Saudi Arabia in the remaining group games.

"This whole thing has been a shambles and if it takes Ireland losing their matches in the World Cup to open peoples' eyes, then I think that's a price worth paying.

"USA '94 was a shambles behind the scenes and so was Italia '90, but the players spared the FAI by playing well and qualifying out of their group. But I would hate this time for them to get through the group and to come home covered in glory and for nobody to question the FAI."

Dunphy has been a vocal advocate of the points brought up by Roy Keane in the run up to his dismissal by Mick McCarthy. The pundit and journalist is, of course, ghost writing Keane's biography, and was visibly disgusted by the circumstances surrounding the captain's return to Cheshire.

"I'm not some flag-waving leprechaun dancing in the streets. I have my opinions and I'm entitled to them. If you don't like them, get a new guy," added Dunphy, whose criticism of Jack Charlton during Italia '90 made him, for a time, the most vilified man in the country.

by Tony Cuddihy
[setanta.com] (http://www.setanta.com/soccer/story.jsp?story=WCContent;id-41816)

tressonisgod
02/06/2002, 10:16 AM
Oh please, anyone but this bitter, twisted man. I watched BBC last night with Alan Hansen, David O'Leary and Martin O'Neill (and Gary Lineker) and the contrast with Dunphy's ugly spite was startling. They recognised Ireland's achievement against the African Champions and were very positive about our chances of progressing. Until Dunphy goes, I'm boycotting RTE.

Colm
02/06/2002, 3:15 PM
He certainley was in foul humour last night. He said he wanted Ireland to lose to Cameroon and hopes they lose to Germany, he wants the team to fail so that the FAI dont get away with "it". He was arguing with Liam Brady and said everything from the FAI to Mick McCarthy to the eircom league was a shambles.
Why he wants Ireland to lose is beyond me, but his outbursts are certainley going to increase RTE's ratings.
The sunday People devoted its centre pages to a dartboard with Dunphys face on it today, which I thought refected the way most Irish supporters felt about him today.

pete
03/06/2002, 1:02 AM
Was funny the way Dumpy just couldn't let the Roy Keane matter go. Sure he got his points but 99% of the country just wants to focus on the football for now.

Amazingly (or maybe hypocritically?) he even gave the eL a mention & the Pats points deduction. Strange he should mention from a radio presenter who essentially bans eL football from his show.

How many times will it have been now that Dumpy left RTE?

:rolleyes:

Neil
03/06/2002, 8:54 AM
Originally posted by pete
Strange he should mention from a radio presenter who essentially bans eL football from his show.

Exactly. He is falling over himself with all the hypocricy.

He talks about the eL as if he is a fan. This is the guy who tried to bring Wimbledon to Dublin which effectively would have destroyed Irish domestic soccer.

Make up your mind Amoan.

Éanna
04/06/2002, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by COLM
He said he wanted Ireland to lose to Cameroon and hopes they lose to Germany, he wants the team to fail so that the FAI dont get away with "it"
I agree with his end, not his means. i.e it would be great to see that shower get shown up for what they are, but how anyone can want their country to lose is beyond me.

Colm
04/06/2002, 2:22 PM
Yeah, in principle he is right, something has to be done about the FAI bigwigs. However, he is just making himself out to be a complete idiot by wanting Ireland to lose- what possible benefit could this have?

fosterdollar
04/06/2002, 3:29 PM
Firstly he never said he hoped Ireland WOULD lose. He said if that was what it would take to shake things up then that's the way it has to be. READ THE QUOTE. Secondly, claiming his (honourable) loyalty to Keane has anything to do with him writing his biography is typical Irish begrudgery. He is getting a fee to write the biography and not royalties so no matter how well the biog sells he won't be making any more or less money.
I honestly cannot believe the Irish support for Roy Keane is so fickle. People were so quick to put him down when they heard the news from Saipan. After all he has done for his fellow players and for us as Ireland supporters he really does deserve Dunphy's support and a lot more besides.

pete
04/06/2002, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
I honestly cannot believe the Irish support for Roy Keane is so fickle. People were so quick to put him down when they heard the news from Saipan. After all he has done for his fellow players and for us as Ireland supporters he really does deserve Dunphy's support and a lot more besides.

That has nothing to do with Dunphys antics. I personally don't think you either pro or anti Keane but even pro Keane people accept it does no one any good talking about at the moment. - Ireland doesn't get to the WC too often so we should suport the squad as best we can.

The Legend
05/06/2002, 2:33 PM
What did Dunphy have to say for himself after the German game?

pete
05/06/2002, 2:49 PM
I heard him try to give praise to the irish team as he saids "they kept going" & someone told me he also made brief comment at if Roy there we would have 2 wins now.

I read his article from one of the weekend papers today & seemed to be the same as his old controversal sunday indo pieces. He says Roy Keane was correct to demand the same leevl of commitment from others that he putting in but IMO Roy Keane failed to distinguish between club football where players jjust train together & tournaments where you eat sleep, train & relax together. McCarthy may not have prepared like Roy Keane or Dunphy liked but hes the manager & will be judged on performances & results on the pitch.

Just look at england & their private jumbo, evert gacility they could want & by apparently treating everything so seriously they on the verge of being knocked out unless they vastly improve as a team.

joe
05/06/2002, 6:20 PM
I thought Dunphy was quite positive today - he did a great piece at the end called the 'Jancker File' and even smiled at one stage:D

pete
06/06/2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by joe
I thought Dunphy was quite positive today - he did a great piece at the end called the 'Jancker File' and even smiled at one stage:D

Yeah i saw him last night & he was fairly positive - can't help feeling he holding back a bit though.....