PDA

View Full Version : Good news on the jobs front

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 9:26 AM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0315/jobs.html

More jobs for Dublin and Limerick,makes a change all the recent doom and gloom surrounding plant closures etc.

pete
15/03/2006, 11:46 AM
Job announcments are just government PR. I remember a few years back our company status had changed a bit (multinational subsidiary) & the IDA/government wanted to make an announcement. In relaity we were maybe increasing numbers from 60-100 odd in next couple of years but announcement was spun so was would have "up to 250 employees in 5 years..." 250 was clearly possible but extremely unlikely & if truth be known fairly impossible. Of course in those days the Minister wouldn't get out of bed for less than 250 job announcement. These days they not so picky.

Funny that some people have issues with tax relief to multinationals when no hope these companies would locate here without them...

Peadar
15/03/2006, 11:51 AM
In fairness lads, we have the lowest rate of unemployment that I can ever remember and job losses are a part of life. Where is the doom and gloom?

I'd say that we're almost at a stage where the majority of people on the unemployment register are virtually unemployable for whatever reason.

There's a job available for anyone who wants to work and that's the way things have been for some time now.

pete
15/03/2006, 12:03 PM
There's a job available for anyone who wants to work and that's the way things have been for some time now.

Old jobs end & new jobs begin. It can be difficult to get the job you want but doesn't mean there isn't a job for almost everyone. Sure it emerged a couple of weeks ago that the state paying long term unemployed people pensions to keep them off the live register. No reason they should be unemployed.

Not nice to hear for some people but the Manufacturing industry is pretty much dead in this country. Its surely a bad career move to start a career in it these days...

hamish
15/03/2006, 7:06 PM
This just occurred to me. You know how hard it is to get a decent plumber, electrician, carpenter etc unless you want to hire a "cowboy".

What's the story with regard to training for these professions and how many take up the trade?

I see in England they are praising Polish carpenters, plumbers etc who arrive on time, are well trained and don't cost a fortune (hope they're not being exploited mind you).

You'd imagine, with the amount of demand there is for qualified folks in these noble professions, there'd be a queue to train for these jobs and the money's good too.

:confused:

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 8:36 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0315/sugar.html
for every up there's a down. notice this info wasn't realised until evening.

dcfcsteve
21/03/2006, 11:43 PM
The economic definition of 'full employment' is an unermployment rate of 4%. This is considered to be the lowest workable rate of unemployment in a free-working labour market, and usually comprises of those unwilling/unable to work and those in the middle of changing roles. Any lower and it is believed to suggest that there are structural problems preventing people from switching between roles.

Ireland's current unemployment rate is 4.3%. This is the lowest rate in the EU. There is no jobs crisis in Ireland.

As for Polish plumbers etc - I just wish there were more of them in England ! They're fantastic. The only people being exploited are the ordinary homeowners in Britain and Ireland who are having to pay hundreds of pounds to get anyone to do even the most simple of manual tasks for them. The Polish manual workers are still very well paid. Ship then in by their thousands I say - Irish people no longer want to change toilets and fix drains, so let's bring in more people who are wiling to do such unglamorous, but absolutely vital, work.

Student Mullet
22/03/2006, 12:08 AM
I agree with you Steve, except for that I wouldn't call plumbing an unglamorous job, it's skilled work.

The situation about four years ago was that employers were absolutely desperate for labour and those of us in the unskilled categories had a great time, management had to treat us well because if they didn't we could literally walk out the door in the morning and be re-employed somewhere else by the afternoon. I might not have been that simple for people with actual skills but that aside, it has tightened up a bit. There are still jobs available but they don't fall into your lap quite as fast as they did.

drummerboy
22/03/2006, 7:54 AM
I read somewhere that Dell were recruiting in India as they plan to open a huge manufacturing plant there. One wonders will this impact on their plant here or is it just to enter the Asian market, where they have a low customor base of 4%

Aberdonian Stu
22/03/2006, 10:36 AM
Steve, not meaning to be a nerd but I seem to remember from first year Macro that the definition is as you put it the "lowest workable rate of unemployment in a free-working labour market" only without the specific percentage as this can vary in some markets (most notably smaller ones like Luxembourg). 4% is about right for any reasonably sized economy or bigger.

pete
22/03/2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0315/sugar.html
for every up there's a down. notice this info wasn't realised until evening.

Obviously not good for those employed there but sugar comes from cane not beat. Sugar beat is only produced here as huge subsidies from the EU. The land used to produce this could surely be used much better for other produce...

dahamsta
22/03/2006, 12:51 PM
Pete, is someone else posting as you these days? That post just doesn't make sense like.

Peadar
22/03/2006, 2:17 PM
...sugar comes from cane not beat. Sugar beat is only produced here as huge subsidies from the EU.

So what you're saying is that we grew beat, gave it to the EU, they gave us money and told us that the beet was being made into sugar. Then they sent us back sugar that was actually made from cane? :confused:

Are we to assume that the "butter mountain" isn't made of butter either? I feel so let down by Europe! :(

:D

Ash
22/03/2006, 2:20 PM
Are we to assume that the "butter mountain" isn't made of butter either? I feel so let down by Europe! :(

:D

I can’t believe it’s not butter :eek:

Peadar
22/03/2006, 2:23 PM
I can’t believe it’s not butter :eek:

I believe this (http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/images/www.wonderlandmodels.com/big/H1120.jpg) is for you... :D

pete
22/03/2006, 2:30 PM
To clarify (i would that thought ye could decypher my posts by now)...

Sugar should come from sugar cane. Sugar beet is not economical to grow hence the large subsidies from the EU so farmers can afford to grow. The best sugar comes from cane which is grown in hot climates. We'd be better off growing crops that our country is suited to. It says a lot about the quality of sugar beet that its either refined into sugar or feed to cattle.

Dr.Nightdub
22/03/2006, 9:19 PM
Slightly off-topic, but only slightly: can anyone remember the name of the superb band (from Mitchelstown or Mallow, can't remember which) that had a song called "The Sugar Beet God"? Late 80s / early 90s.

The Good Son
23/03/2006, 8:28 AM
Slightly off-topic, but only slightly: can anyone remember the name of the superb band (from Mitchelstown or Mallow, can't remember which) that had a song called "The Sugar Beet God"? Late 80s / early 90s.

Cypress Mine was their name Doc., they were all from Cork city as far as I know. Guitarist Ian Onley? last seen playing with the reformed Sultans.

dcfcsteve
23/03/2006, 7:19 PM
I agree with you Steve, except for that I wouldn't call plumbing an unglamorous job, it's skilled work.

I didn't say plumbing was unskilled - just that it's unglamarous. There's plenty of unglamorous skilled work around.

I know plumbers who themselves won't touch anything outside of the realm of 'heating engineering' as they hate getting wet and covered in crap. Doesn't matter if you needed a degree to do it - that part of the job still makes it unglamorous.