PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Murder suspect released without charge

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 10:00 AM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0315/oreillyr.html
Looks like the gardai thought they had him this time guess not?

klein4
15/03/2006, 11:25 AM
the herald seems to have a vendetta against the chap.

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 11:44 AM
Yep I was just talking to me ma(an avid reader of the eviling Herag)about this last night. every day when I'm getting the train theres a poster of the headline on the newspaper stand outside Connolly and most day's its another sensationalist banner about him or the new girlfriend or "the House of Horrors" being for sale,et al. Gutter press, the guy has been arrested twice and still not charged. If the herald knows something the Gardai dont then maybe they should let the Gardai in on the secret:rolleyes:

klein4
15/03/2006, 11:58 AM
probably gettin their info from gardai as they were there with photographers when he was arrested. dunno anything about the case to be honest. kinda knew it at the start but then all the wink wink innuendo stuff just confused me. herald is always very dodgy bout these things..altho feck all else to read at lunchtime...

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 12:03 PM
Look the Dog's on the street know who did it(I'm not going to mention his name here because I'm not sure of the legal ramifications for the site and RTE where at pains not to mention him on the news last night)But he hasn't been charged so how can the HERAG get away with this campagn,its down right dangerous because if he ever does face a jury then the defence will have plenty of opportunity to call for a mistrial due to the media coverage!

joeSoap
15/03/2006, 12:09 PM
I think the gardai are very confident that they know who was responsible for this murder. I presume that they are lacking the necessary vital piece of evidence which means this individual will never be brought to justice, but the gardai, and the press, are letting him know that they know and will continue to remind him of what he did.

The Irish Gardai have a very high success rate on domestic murder cases and I doubt they're wrong on this one. This case is identical to the chap in Malahide years ago that was a high ranking member of the revenue commissioners that killed the wife but laid a perfect escape trail.

joeSoap
15/03/2006, 12:12 PM
Look the Dog's on the street know who did it(I'm not going to mention his name here because I'm not sure of the legal ramifications for the site and RTE where at pains not to mention him on the news last night)But he hasn't been charged so how can the HERAG get away with this campagn,its down right dangerous because if he ever does face a jury then the defence will have plenty of opportunity to call for a mistrial due to the media coverage!The Herald have always identified him as the number one suspect, which is attested to by Gardai. They have every right to report on this case, and while I personally believe they are giving this guy an escape clause if he ever did go to trial due to biased reporting, I'm sure the Herald have the full backing of the Garda Press Office on this because they know a prosecution is unlikely.

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 12:13 PM
but the gardai, and the press, are letting him know that they know and will continue to remind him of what he did.
I think the colusion between the Gardai and the HERAG could be in a last ditch attempt to make the guy crack and admit his guilt. IMO its never going to happen he's one cold MF

WeAreRovers
15/03/2006, 12:20 PM
The Guards and The Herald have been in cahoots on this one from the very start. it was the Herald (Mick McCaffrey) who fcuked up the investigation originally with some help from the boys in blue.

Dunphy was very good about this story this morning. He was wondering why Garda incompetence (and media collusion with them) goes unnoticed in this country. Something I wonder about myself.

KOH

wws
15/03/2006, 12:52 PM
if it wasnt so serious an issue - the battering to death of a woman
you'd have to laugh at the herald "j*e o'r*il%y watch" - some of the headlines are pathetic

pete
15/03/2006, 12:58 PM
Are ye actually admitting to "reading" the Herald?

:(

Peadar
15/03/2006, 1:04 PM
it was the Herald (Mick McCaffrey) who fcuked up the investigation originally with some help from the boys in blue.

The Herald fukked it up alright but I don't know if the Gardaí were responsible for the information supplied.

It's all well and good knowing who did it, but you need solid evidence to secure a conviction. Media like the Herald can prejudice a case in such a way that a "fair" trial can never be brought against a suspect.

WeAreRovers
15/03/2006, 1:21 PM
I don't know if the Gardaí were responsible for the information supplied.

They were. Paul Williams, Paul Reynolds, Jim Cusack, the Herald, ALL of the two-bit crime journos in this country get ALL of their information from the cops.

KOH

Peadar
15/03/2006, 1:39 PM
...ALL of the two-bit crime journos in this country get ALL of their information from the cops.

Ok, I was talking about the Gardaí in an official capacity rather than information being leaked by an insider but in this situation, the Herald have prejudiced a case out of pure greed.

Paul Williams writing about gangland crime doesn't usually have much legal implications.

klein4
15/03/2006, 1:41 PM
isnt there a former detective writing for the herald?
surely this will suggest where they are gettin their info from..

Block G Raptor
15/03/2006, 7:20 PM
every day when I'm getting the train theres a poster of the headline on the newspaper stand outside Connolly and most day's its another sensationalist banner about him or the new girlfriend or "the House of Horrors" being for sale,et al. Gutter press,
Todays exceptional bit of Headline writing : "Joe says no Comment"
The Herag making news of absolutley nothing literally

Macy
16/03/2006, 10:13 AM
This man can never get a fair trial in this country. Will the Herald and the Cops be proud of it if/when it gets to trial and the case collapses before it even begins because of the coverage?

I don't remember ever buying the herald - still see the front page everyday whether I like it or not when it's hawked around various traffic lights in the city. The way they've covered it - anyone who drives around, or goes in paper shops never mind those that buy the paper are ruled out as jurers thanks to the coverage.

If the case does collapse/ never gets brought because of the coverage, the Herald, the relevant hacks, and the cops who leaked the info should be up on conspiracy to pervert the course of justice charges imo.

And what shouldn't be forgotten is this man is still innocent, and has been found guilty of nothing.

Peadar
16/03/2006, 11:21 AM
First question for the jury members, "Do you read the Evening Herald?"

It can't be easy for the family of Rachel, knowing that her killer is still walking the streets and may never be brought to justice.

Macy
16/03/2006, 11:27 AM
First question for the jury members, "Do you read the Evening Herald?"
"Do you ever come across the herald?" should be the question. Hard to avoid their in your face headlines in any shop or any traffic lights.

Also the way the herald has done things, has given the rest of the press more leeway to give details, since the Herald has already put the information in the public domain.

Dodge
16/03/2006, 11:37 AM
Prosecution wouldn't allow that question macy. Just going by the odd headline you would not know who's involved.

Macy
16/03/2006, 11:46 AM
Prosecution wouldn't allow that question macy. Just going by the odd headline you would not know who's involved.
Even when their plastered across it, being lead by guards, wearing handcuffs as was the case the other day?

Dodge
16/03/2006, 11:50 AM
Well I didn't see it.

I'm not arguing with the general point that its yellow journalism at its best but if it goes to trial, Peadar's question is more likely to be asked than yours

Macy
16/03/2006, 11:57 AM
Probably - if it ever gets as far as swearing in a jury.

Dodge
16/03/2006, 12:06 PM
Well, yeah, there is that small matter

WeAreRovers
16/03/2006, 1:10 PM
It's never going to go to trial due to the cops stupidity hence the trial by Herald that we're getting instead.

KOH

CollegeTillIDie
17/03/2006, 9:57 AM
SOmetimes the headlines are very misleading in all papers when you actually read the articles.