PDA

View Full Version : Manager & Players Post Match reaction to Ire/Cameroon draw

James
01/06/2002, 2:12 PM
Ireland-Camp Reaction

McCarthy's relief after draw
Ireland manager Mick McCarthy spoke of his "blessed relief" after his side had claimed a battling 1-1 draw against Cameroon in the opening game of their World Cup campaign.

McCarthy came into the game under huge pressure after the furore surrounding his axing of captain Roy Keane from the World Cup squad.

"I've had the hardest week possible but coming into the game today was a blessed relief.

"It's nice to be walking away without being beaten," said McCarthy.

"The game was a great advert for football.

"In the first half we gave up the ball too easily and their two centre forwards were causing us problems.

"I thought we played far, far better in the second half.

"I give my hearty congratulations and a pat on the back to all the players," added McCarthy.

McCarthy, vulnerable after his shock decision to axe Keane, delivered a half-time team talk to rouse his players.

"We were individually and collectively poor in the first half.

"We sorted a few things out at half-time...there's a sign on the board (in the dressing room) saying 'No Regrets', and we all know it's there.

"The players went out after the break and made sure we didn't have any.

"If we had played in the first half the way we did in the second, we would have had a few."

McCarthy felt goalscorer Holland had been man of the match.
"But Mark Kinsella was not far behind," McCarthy said.

"Together they were superb...I bear no malice (to Keane) in that comment, but the pair were under a lot of pressure to perform and I thought they were magnificent."

Kinsella, who effectively replaced Keane in the starting line-up, said: "It's not about one man, the team spirit here is immense.

"We worked really hard for each other and got our rewards."

Holland added: "Any team would miss a world class player like Roy Keane, but we have no choice and I think we did well.

"The coach told us not to waste two years of hard work in the space of one game. It worked and we responded."

Holland declared himself more than satisfied with the result.

Trailing to Patrick Mboma's first-half strike, the Ipswich midfielder produced a sweetly-struck right-foot shot from 25 yards to equalise in the 52nd minute.

And that sparked a spell of Irish pressure which almost saw them snatch a winner.

But Holland was happy that the side had got a point on the board in their first game.

"In the second half we had a lot of chances but but it was a good performance nonetheless and we are pleased with the result," said Holland.

"I scored a couple like that in the qualifying games and it was nice to do it here.

"Hopefully it will stand us in good stead. It was a crucial that we didn't get beat today and let's see what we can do from here."

James
01/06/2002, 2:15 PM
Cameroon Reaction

Schafer disappointed with draw
Cameroon coach Winfried Schafer said he was disappointed his side did not take all three points from their encounter with the Republic of Ireland in Niigata.

I was happy with our first half performance but in the second half Ireland put us under a lot of pressure and we must be satisfied with the draw," Schafer said.

"Both sides should be happy with the result."
But he said he felt that the match had hinged on a miss by Geremi on 51 minutes that could have secured it for his side.

Barely a minute later Matt Holland scored the equaliser for Ireland.

"It should have been 2-0," Schaffer said.

"We then made a mistake and were punished for it.

"You should never underestimate Ireland but we were very nervous in the second half," he added.

"Now I must build up the team's morale again for the Saudi Arabia game as they are disappointed with the result after leading 1-0."

Striker Samuel Eto'o, who had been instrumental in setting up Mboma's goal, agreed with Schafer's analysis.

"In the first half we played very well but in the second half it all went wrong," the Real Mallorca striker said.

"One point is better than nothing - but we've got to win our next match against Saudi Arabia."