PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League?

Neish
14/03/2006, 6:02 PM
Mayb its just me, but it kinda gets on my nerves every one calling our leagues the eircom leagues. Its the League of Ireland or LOI, or have I missed something?

I mean you don't hear many english fans refering to the Budwiser Premiership or scots refering to the Bank of Scotland Premier league do you.

sfc red
14/03/2006, 7:00 PM
Cheer up mate

joema
14/03/2006, 8:19 PM
Mayb its just me, but it kinda gets on my nerves every one calling our leagues the eircom leagues. Its the League of Ireland or LOI, or have I missed something?

I mean you don't hear many english fans refering to the Budwiser Premiership or scots refering to the Bank of Scotland Premier league do you.

Who cares??

A face
14/03/2006, 8:29 PM

I see your point and its valid ..... i say eircom League all the time, its force of habit i suppose but yeah, you're right it should be League of Ireland or National League.

Its good for the sponsor to have people call it eircom though, there is that too, i mean they have info about the league on all their bills !! :p

monutdfc
14/03/2006, 8:32 PM
It is actually called the National League now, not the League of Ireland. Anyway, better to call it the eircom League, the more exposure the sponsor gets the more attractive it is to sponsor the competition, which of course is better for the league.

Philo
14/03/2006, 9:56 PM
It is actually called the National League now, not the League of Ireland. Anyway, better to call it the eircom League, the more exposure the sponsor gets the more attractive it is to sponsor the competition, which of course is better for the league.

Do everyone a favour and quit with that bollócks. Do you work for eircom or something?

They could not give a flying fish's títs for the domestic league. The only reason eircom is there is because they want the national team and grudgingly put the word "eircom" in front of league as a token gesture which the FAI kind of insisted they had to do but promised it wouldn't actually cost them anything in terms of supporting the league.

Anto McC
14/03/2006, 10:07 PM
Do everyone a favour and quit with that bollócks. Do you work for eircom or something?

They could not give a flying fish's títs for the domestic league. The only reason eircom is there is because they want the national team and grudgingly put the word "eircom" in front of league as a token gesture which the FAI kind of insisted they had to do but promised it wouldn't actually cost them anything in terms of supporting the league.

Your missing the point too,noboby cares about this in general!!!

Honestly,talk about pointless f*cking threads!!

Philo
14/03/2006, 10:25 PM
The point is not missed at all.

I am fully aware of the irrelevance of the name of our league when in a couple of years it will be called whatever John Delaney wants it to be called.

CollegeTillIDie
14/03/2006, 10:30 PM
Ah yes the John Delaney Table Football League :D

pete
15/03/2006, 11:16 AM
And monthly award for most stupid thread title goes to......Neish...

:rolleyes:

BohDiddley
15/03/2006, 2:49 PM
Your missing the point too,noboby cares about this in general!!!

Honestly,talk about pointless f*cking threads!!
Beg to differ Squire.
What's in a name? The word eircom has negative connotations for practically everyone in the country. As a brand, eircom is associated with monopoly, inefficiency, rip-off, shafting of small investors, foot-dragging on technology rollout and, well, nasty bills.
This word in turn is associated with practically every mention of the league in broadcast and print. It's an automatic downer for the league every time.
Neish is right. Perhaps league/FAI officials and clubs are obliged to use the word, but no one else is, especially if eircom don't directly support the league.

A face
15/03/2006, 3:08 PM
Some might think it pointless alright but some dont. I have two mates who actually hate it called eircom League, they really flip out over at times too :p I'll be speaking to someone and say something about a game or something and happen to say 'eircom League' and one of them will repeat exactly what i said but say National League. Its a good laugh when its obvious and noticed :D

hamish
15/03/2006, 6:09 PM
I don't care - it'll always be the League of Ireland to me.:p

Mental Man
15/03/2006, 8:22 PM
To be honest i dont think this is a stupid thread at all, he has a valid point, in my job when i am talking to workmates they even call it the League of Ireland, even my da who has been supporting the blues for the last 45 years still calls it that too, and so do i, it should be called the LOI cause thats what it is. Good thread!

CollegeTillIDie
16/03/2006, 6:36 AM
Well it will always be the League of Ireland to me.
I remember the Kentucky Fried Chicken League of Ireland; The Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken League of Ireland; I remember the Opel League of Ireland; The National League of Ireland; and latterly the Eircom League.
I have supported UCD in all of the above and will continue to do so ... unless Delaney and Byrne exclude my team from it !

Risteard
16/03/2006, 11:47 AM
What about the Bord Gails League of Ireland, home of the Bord Gais League 11.
Didn't Davey Barry and Gunther manage them one year and fill the team with the likes of Napier and Flanagan?

harpskid
16/03/2006, 2:15 PM
Always call it the League of Ireland meself. Never refer to it as the eircom League

CollegeTillIDie
17/03/2006, 7:43 AM
What about the Bord Gails League of Ireland, home of the Bord Gais League 11.
Didn't Davey Barry and Gunther manage them one year and fill the team with the likes of Napier and Flanagan?

Yes that one too ;)

sligoman
17/03/2006, 1:18 PM
Alway's call it EL or Eircom League, never LOI.

dahamsta
17/03/2006, 1:27 PM
I've never liked calling it the Eircom League on Foot.ie, and I point blank refuse to call it the same with a lowercase 'e'. But that's mostly because I want to go into Eircom's headquarters with a blunt knife and kill them all very slowly, then widdle on their self-serving graves afterwards.

No offense like.

adam

Poor Student
17/03/2006, 1:28 PM
What's the whole lower case 'e' thing about anyway?:confused:

CollegeTillIDie
17/03/2006, 1:29 PM
I've never liked calling it the Eircom League on Foot.ie, and I point blank refuse to call it the same with a lowercase 'e'. But that's mostly because I want to go into Eircom's headquarters with a blunt knife and kill them all very slowly, then widdle on their self-serving graves afterwards.

No offense like.

adam

adam
How can you possibly moderate threads from inside the Joy ?:D

dahamsta
17/03/2006, 2:12 PM
What's the whole lower case 'e' thing about anyway?Marketing. Isn't is great?

How can you possibly moderate threads from inside the Joy ?This is Ireland, I could run a successful drugs business from inside the Joy.

CollegeTillIDie
17/03/2006, 2:25 PM
This is Ireland, I could run a successful drugs business from inside the Joy.

Touché :D