PDA

View Full Version : Mons News 14 March

Magicme
14/03/2006, 6:09 PM
GALWAY GO HOME GOALESS
(Report and pictures courtesy of www.monaghanunited.ie)

Monaghan United drew 0-0 with Galway United in their opening game of the 2006 eircom League Division 1 season at Century Homes Park on Friday last.

In an entertaining game for a scoreless draw, Monaghan manager Mick Cooke will be pleased with how his defence nullified the threat of Galway's potent strikeforce of Alan Murphy and Eric Lavine. The big surprise in Mick Cooke's team selection was his decision to leave striker David Lee on the bench with Robbie Smith and Alan McNevin forming the strikeforce. Team captain Robbie Horgan was in goal behind a new centre-back pairing of Darren Sargent and Kevin Cronin. Jim Murphy was in his familiar right-back berth and Eddie Keyes was left-back. Paul Smyth made his competitive return for United on the left wing, with Jimmy Fullam and Shane Harte in the centre of midfield and Brian Gannon on the right.

Monaghan United started the better of the two sides, playing good passing football on a difficult pitch. However, for all their possession United were restricted to few chances on goal: a Shane Harte free kick from the left flew over the bar, Jimmy Fullam had a shot from the edge of the box well-held by Alan Gough in the Galway goal, and Paul Smyth miscued a shot after an unfortunate bobble.

Meanwhile, at the other end Galway United's right-winger Rafael Cretaro, a close-season signing from Sligo Rovers, was causing a lot of trouble for the United defence. Apart from Cretaro's incisions, Galway United too were restricted to few chances and their cause was not helped by their strikeforce of Murphy and Lavine being caught offside on a number of successive occasions.

The second half began with Galway United enjoying a lot of possession. But Monaghan's back four dealt well with the pressure, while Robbie Horgan dealt comfortably with a succession of corners. Monaghan United had a good chance on the break, with Alan McNevin racing clear into the Gawlay United half. However, with Paul Smyth unmarked on the left hand side of the box, his pass went behind Smyth allowing the Galway defence to recover. McNevin had United's best chance minutes later, but his shot from the left was well-saved by Gough.

The best chance of the game fell to Galway substitute Derek O'Brien. A through ball found Murphy and Lavine offside yet again, but the referee correctly waved play on as they were not participating in the phase of play. O'Brien raced onto the through-ball, but as he bore in on goal from the left Kevin Cronin recovered sufficiently for him and the advancing Robbie Horgan to force O'Brien to drag his shot to the right and wide.

The visitors had another good chance moments later. The referee over-ruled his assistant in awarding a throw-in to Galway. Darren Sargent, who could not see the referee who was behind him, was thus caught out of position and Galway took a quick throw-in to Murphy. However, he wanted too much time get his shot away and again Kevin Cronin got back quickly to make the saving tackle.
Mick Cooke brought Daivd Lee on for the hard-working Robbie Smith with about 10 minutes to go. Monaghan enjoyed more possession as the game became more open, but a shot from Paul Smyth that was easily saved by Gough and another from Shane Harte that flew over the bar were their best chances and the game finished scoreless.

Monaghan United (4-4-2): Robbie Horgan; Jim Murphy, Darren Sargent, Kevin Cronin, Eddie Keyes; Brian Gannon, Shane Harte, Jimmy Fullam, Paul Smyth; Robbie Smith, Alan McNevin.

A good start to the campaign against a Galway team who are being touted for glory this season. Monaghan head to Kilkenny this Saturday (kick off 7.30pm) to try and consolidate their form and hopefully win all 3 points on offer.

YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!
Last Friday night’s attendance at the match was up on last season and there was plenty of noise and atmosphere, alas mainly created by the 30 or so traveling Galway United fans. This year it is vital that Mons get the support of the local football fan and we would encourage you all to come out and cheer on United when they play their next game against Cobh on Sunday 2nd April at 3pm.

Football matches are the one place where you can encourage your children to be as noisy as possible and are a great family day out. Bring your drums and bodhrans and come make some noise!

WOMEN TAKE ON THE MIGHTY LINFIELD
Monaghan United’s Women’s team get to play their first home friendly since their very first game back in January when they take on Belfast greats, Linfield at Century Homes Park on Monday 20th March. United were beaten by Linfield early in February but the Monaghan girls had shown great spirit and played some good ball against them. This time the girls will be out to avenge the previous scoreline and with 2 great victories under their belts, will be feeling more confident. Come out and give them support.

RUN WITH THE FOXES OR HUNT WITH THE WOLVES?
This is the question that young Monaghan Goalkeeper Kevin Martin must ponder at the tender age of 14. Kevin has had trials with Woverhampton Wanderers in October past and now has sparked some interest from Leicester City. A scout from Leicester was over watching our young goalie on Saturday and it is expected that Kevin will get called for trials during the summer holidays.

This interest comes hot on the heels of Kevin’s clean sheet in the nets for the Republic of Ireland Under 15’s when they played Slovenia last Thursday night. Kevin was in goals for the whole game and helped Ireland to a 2-0 victory by being a tower of strength between the posts. Well done Kev and may you have many more great games for Ireland and whatever team you choose to play for in the future!

CAR BOOT SALE
Don’t forget that Monaghan United FC now hold a monthly Car Boot Sale. The next sale takes place at Century Homes Park on Sunday 2nd April from 10am. The cost of entering a Car is a measly €10 and a Van a pathetic €15. Come along and sell everything from books to baths! Get there early so you don’t miss the bargains.

WEBSITE
Wondering where you can find out all you need to know about Monaghan United FC? Want to keep up to date on the latest news and Schoolboy Match Reports? www.monaghanunited.ie is the place to go. Recently revamped with added features and easier access, Monaghan United FC are proud to have such an informative and comprehensive website.

Now there is even more to see with the new Women’s football section and the recent addition of an Online Shop for all your Monaghan United Merchandise.

So visit www.monaghanunited.ie and make sure you are kept in the picture.

GREG TURLEY SUITE AND BAGSTER LOUNGE
Having a party? Need somewhere for a meeting or conference? Monaghan United have the facilities you need. The Greg Turley Suite is perfect for meetings or conferences and when combined with the Bagster Lounge it provides the ideal setting for parties. The new Patio area with outside tables and bar-be-queing facilities adds another alternative to this versatile venue. Also remember the Bagster Lounge is open Monday to Sunday for a quiet drink or to watch sports on our big screen T.V.s. For further information and bookings contact Martin Kelly at 086 8937562.

hamish
14/03/2006, 6:13 PM
Fair play to you Magicme. Your regular updates on all the happenings at Monaghan United are great to read. :)

Good PR is all about hard work and regular updates for Footie and media and you get 100% on all fronts - that's from an old Athlone PRO btw.;)

Does the Northern Standard and Northern Sound/Shannonside give you good coverage? I remember an oldish guy (from the NS) who used to go to Gortakeegan there in the 90s and he seemed keen on the club??

Magicme
14/03/2006, 6:19 PM
Aw you are talking but Paddy Turley rest his ould soul...He was keen on the club alright but also liked to take an odd swipe at it, such was the devilment in him! Sadly missed, he died last year.

Standard are great, we have pretty much a whole broadsheet page dedicated to us but sometimes they let us down, like when I wanted last weeks to be all in colour!

Shannonside-Northern Sound do their bit too but have to say I really have to put in more effort to try and get some more coverage this season.

Some of the National papers do good stuff for us, but considering I email them all the news each week, it is pretty limited, then who wants to read about Mons when u can hear bout Shamrock Rovers in the first division.

Yeah know you are the old Athlone PRO, pity u arent as cute as the current encumbent! (sp...brain fried from writing reports!)

hamish
14/03/2006, 6:25 PM
Yeah know you are the old Athlone PRO, pity u arent as cute as the current encumbent! (sp...brain fried from writing reports!)

Yeah, Paddy Turley was the name - really saddened to see he's passed away. RIP.

Hey, ya cheeky divil, for 52 I'm quite fit actually** and well able for ya. :p :D Can't speak for young Egan, don't look at men that way - leave that up to you.:D

Wish I had email in my day - faxing things was so laboursome and time consuming. Usually finished at about 3am every Monday morning after sending reports hither and thither and many times (and that was only Sunday work), the fax machines at the other end were not automatic or not working. Glad those days are over - very tiring.

** ask Galway Girl LOL

Magicme
14/03/2006, 6:27 PM
Yeah email is dead handy alright.

Am sure u r fit but Mr E is a fine thing...pity he isnt into older women, believe me have tried to convince him!

hamish
14/03/2006, 6:30 PM
Yeah email is dead handy alright.

Am sure u r fit but Mr E is a fine thing...pity he isnt into older women, believe me have tried to convince him!

I'll have a word.............;)

Magicme
14/03/2006, 6:32 PM
That would be much appreciated! Ha ha...am surprised he hasnt swooped in here already and told me to leave it out!

Ach he is such a wee honey!

hamish
14/03/2006, 6:37 PM
That would be much appreciated! Ha ha...am surprised he hasnt swooped in here already and told me to leave it out!

Ach he is such a wee honey!

Well, you're certainly upfront about it - fair play to ya.;)

Anyway, I'm retired from that sort of thing so, when Town beat...sorry...play the Mons you'll be safe from old Hamish after the game. LOL

BTW there was a PRO with Monaghan up there in 2000. I met him at a schools international in February of that year - think he had a beard and his wife was also involved with the club??? He gone now??

Magicme
15/03/2006, 9:26 AM
Yeah that was John O'Flanagan and Christine. Christine ran the bar for the club. They have moved away due to his work so they are not involved in the club but still friends of!

Make sure u introduce urself at the next game then so I can thank u for playing cupid for Rayzor & I! Ha!

hamish
15/03/2006, 8:12 PM
Yeah that was John O'Flanagan and Christine. Christine ran the bar for the club. They have moved away due to his work so they are not involved in the club but still friends of!

Make sure u introduce urself at the next game then so I can thank u for playing cupid for Rayzor & I! Ha!

Rayzor? Oh, I get it, Ray.:D

eh........there might be a price to pay for my hard work. heh heh;) :D

Magicme
16/03/2006, 9:08 AM
Rayzor? Oh, I get it, Ray.:D

eh........there might be a price to pay for my hard work. heh heh;) :D

NAME IT!

atfconline
18/03/2006, 11:52 AM
Oi Hamish, do you want to be let into Mel's for the last game or not??

Magicme
19/03/2006, 9:30 PM
Pah pathetic Ray.....expected better off you than resorting to bullying tactics!

sligoman
19/03/2006, 9:33 PM
Jesus, Hamish is a horny devil on every thread isn't he. He certainly lives up to his title anyway:rolleyes: :p.