PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup

Pages : [1] 2

David
14/03/2006, 12:39 PM
Ok, personally I want to talk about football instead of all the other nonsense going on elsewhere on here. This competition is really starting to take shape and it looks like an exciting finish in both groups. It could be any two from three qualifying from Linfield, Derry and Shels and whilst Drogheda and Cork are looking good in the other group, Portadown cannot be ruled out. We have seen some cracking games, some great football and some controversial refereeing and I for one am enjoying this competition so let's get talking about the positives again. I agree that we cannot ignore racism or sectarianism but leave that to those in a position to do something to deal with it whilst we get on with talking about a brilliant competition.

micls
14/03/2006, 12:44 PM
TBH its hard to get the enthusiasm going about the Setanta cup. Maybe its cos of the Mondays nights smaller crowds etc. but as grateful as I am for more live football it just doesnt have the same draw the EL does.

It could be the group were in too but I know alot of fans are feeling the same

Speranza
14/03/2006, 12:54 PM
I think it will be City and Linfield to progress from our group. $hels looked over-rated this year again, many pointed to the abscence of Ndo as a major problem but he played last night and they were still beaten.

Linfield fans noted their teams passion and hunger for the win, IMO Shels with their hyped up primma-donnas don't have this trait.

I really want to win this group because the runner-up will almost certainly face a long trip to Cork for the semi. I have every confidence that we can beat Cork but the journey is a nightmare.

BTW If we judge Paddy Mc COurt this season on reports from last night from both sets of fans then Premier Division defences beware. Many Glenmen saying he should get another cap for Norn Iron.

derrymac
14/03/2006, 12:55 PM
Well personally i am really enjoying the setanta cup... perhaps it is because we are in the more exciting group plus the fact that it is 34 years since competitive games were played between Derry and Linfield and Glentoran and there are rivilaries to resume. I think the coverage provided by Setanta is good, much better than the ericom league weekly show last night, though having Alan Matthews and felix Healy every time is getting a tad boring. Pat Dolan is not a good anchor. He gets flustered trying to read the autocue and last night he described Shels as the eircom league champions. With this amount of cash on offer for the winners, there is a massive incentive for all the clubs to win it and I for one am really excited about the next 3 matches.

I think it is too close to call at this stage, the Glens may seem out of it but can't be written off just yet. I think there needs to be some Irish league teams in the semis, but preferably not from our group.

Schumi
14/03/2006, 12:58 PM
many pointed to the abscence of Ndo as a major problem but he played last night and they were still beaten.
They would have been beaten a lot worse without him though.

David
14/03/2006, 1:08 PM
I think it will be City and Linfield to progress from our group. $hels looked over-rated this year again, many pointed to the abscence of Ndo as a major problem but he played last night and they were still beaten.

Linfield fans noted their teams passion and hunger for the win, IMO Shels with their hyped up primma-donnas don't have this trait.

I really want to win this group because the runner-up will almost certainly face a long trip to Cork for the semi. I have every confidence that we can beat Cork but the journey is a nightmare.

BTW If we judge Paddy Mc COurt this season on reports from last night from both sets of fans then Premier Division defences beware. Many Glenmen saying he should get another cap for Norn Iron.

To be honest going on each team's game against us Derry are a far superior side to Shelbourne. Surely though Shelbourne are better than they showed last night and I am certainly not ruling them out of this competition, they have too many good players. Personally if offered second place now I would take it, regardless of the trip to Cork. Would make it an overnight trip of course.

Risteard
14/03/2006, 1:09 PM
whilst Drogheda and Cork are looking good in the other group, Portadown cannot be ruled out.
Though we threw it away last year, the most City will require from the remaining 3 group games is 3 points.
Could get them tonight. After that, the Portadown-Drogs game tonight will be vital though Swifts are capable of taking points off Portadown.

A bit disappointed with the crowds myself seen as theirs only 3-5 games compared to 17 of the league. I wouldn't miss any SC match but Linfield at the Cross would have been special.
Are the semi-finals over two legs? ed- - - Oh you just answered me there

lefty
14/03/2006, 1:28 PM
Brilliant competition me thinks. Standard of football is pretty good and i for one thinks its been a fantastic addition for both leagues and only hope that we get it into it, we were so close last year! Or maybe itll become an open cup for all teams. Whatever about how the cup evolves its exciting stuff at the moment!

Speranza
14/03/2006, 1:34 PM
The Daily Mirror has called our preformance last night "samba with a Derry accent" :)

Skunkito
14/03/2006, 1:40 PM
Has anyone got any highlights links? (for the derry game mostly :) )

Raheny Red
14/03/2006, 2:07 PM
I'm enjoying it greatly, but the sooner the IL and the EL can agree to have a few Saturdays free for the SSC the better! Attendances would be higher and be easier to get more fans travelling. 3 p.m KO on saturdays would do just nicely ;) :cool:

sonofstan
14/03/2006, 3:15 PM
"samba with a Derry accent" :)
'sombre'?

Dassa
14/03/2006, 3:32 PM
Ports are struggling to hit the target at the minute but just cant be ruled out. Glens and swifts are gone in my opinion. As for McCourt at Derry, always had the talent if he could just keep the head down and keep working hard there is every chance of place in squad and Id be delighted. The idea about games on saturday would be difficult to fit in with the schedule but i think it would increase the crowds.

Schumi
14/03/2006, 3:34 PM
Game are on Mondays and Tuesdays because they fill up an empty day for Setanta. They won't move the games to a weekend when they will clash with other stuff they're showing.

hoopy
14/03/2006, 4:23 PM
Derry and Drogheda have been the most impressive teams for me so far. Some of the Cork players have the look of guys who think that because they've won the league they can just turn up and win(Drogheda were well on top in the Cross until the sendings off) and Shels seem to have the usual problem under Nutsy, changing the team constantly to justify having so many players

BohDiddley
14/03/2006, 5:51 PM
Derry have to be favourites. But Linfield last night were more impressive than any Drogheda showing so far. They gave Shels a real spanking.
Drogheda are solid but uninspired and as currently set up won't score many goals unless they are handed them on a plate, Bohs-style.

micls
14/03/2006, 6:21 PM
Derry and Drogheda have been the most impressive teams for me so far. Some of the Cork players have the look of guys who think that because they've won the league they can just turn up and win(Drogheda were well on top in the Cross until the sendings off) and Shels seem to have the usual problem under Nutsy, changing the team constantly to justify having so many players

Were you at the game??
While there was not much between the teams before the sending offs City were a goal up and it couldnt be said drogheda were well on top. They barely had a chance on goal.

Derry and Linfield have looked impresssive-city arent playing brialliantly but getting the results so that will do for the moment. They are playing lovely football in patches but need to up the consistency. This will come in time IMO

A face
14/03/2006, 8:47 PM
Some of the Cork players have the look of guys who think that because they've won the league they can just turn up and win(Drogheda were well on top in the Cross until the sendings off)

Not a chance, i dont know where you going with that one but that is complete horseshít, you obviously didn't see the game so.

ndrog
15/03/2006, 12:20 AM
just wish the drogs v ports game had have been the live match tonite.Drogs were fantastic to watch.4 0 is not a proper reflection on the game .Fabio missed a peno and had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside.It really could have been 7 or 8.Cork seemed to struggle against dungannon but got the win nonetheless.This was a performance we have threatened for a while now.Great to see barrett getting his first goal for the club ,he was great tonite really hungry and took his goal well.On this form we should progress in the competition.:)

SeanDrog
15/03/2006, 7:04 AM
yea Drogs didn't have a chance in the game aganst Cork - yeah thats it - keep it up our Cork friends as it is this blinkered vision and consant rewriting of history that will lead to a season of complete failure for our Cork cousins. (its amazing your all sarting to sound like little Ricos).

Well done on you great win (earth shattering performance) against Dublin City - fine display. Also fantatsic 1-0 result against Dungannon last nigth fair play. No doubt the drogs will be lucky not to get another hiding off you on Saturday as you march onto another league title. Viva la Cork.

ger121
15/03/2006, 8:17 AM
I've been in Barcelona for the past couple of weeks working so have no clue of the results or tables. Could some kind person tell me them or post a link where I can read them. I apologise if there is a thread with the results somewhere else.

Mr_T
15/03/2006, 8:42 AM
Dungannon were very unlucky last night, should have been 2-0 up at half time, Devine made a couple of great saves, they hit the inside of the post with a screamer.

Then gave away a dreadful goal, and hit the woodwork again before the end.

Cork were better second half bt I was very impressed with Swifts.

BohDiddley
15/03/2006, 8:50 AM
I've been in Barcelona for the past couple of weeks working so have no clue of the results or tables. Could some kind person tell me them or post a link where I can read them. I apologise if there is a thread with the results somewhere else.
Superb page on (funnily enough) Setanta.com. Results&tables towards the bottom.
http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/ie/cms.nsf/systemcontent/setantasportscup

The Sheliban
15/03/2006, 10:22 AM
Yes I'm enjoying the competition, although we're not doing particularly well. There is a suspicion that the timing of it is designed to even things out between the North and the South, which is a bit insulting to the northern teams, and I would be interesting to see how we fared when were not in pre-season.
The best thing about it is that we can see that if you support Linfield or Glens, then you're just a northern football fan, not someone with horns and a mouth frothed with sectarianism. Its great to see Derry playing Linfield, and Glens coming to Tolka. Okay, there's a few mindless eejits, stuck in a timewarp, but by and large most people are only there for the footie.

pete
15/03/2006, 11:55 AM
Enough games have been played now to show that big gap between the eL & the IL in quality with the exclusion of Linfield.

Enjoyable trip to Dungannon last night. I think they are better than Portadown as play some good football but a bit weak in attack. A bit like ourselves. We just don't look like a team that could be bothered to beat anyone 3 or 4 nil & seem a bit too happy with 1-0s.

I know we talking football here but i also think competition is great cross-border eye opener. Football people are the saem everywhere & have no interest in politics.

WindmillWarrior
15/03/2006, 12:38 PM
Hoopy, how dare you insinuate that Cork are ever anything other than brilliant!

paudie
15/03/2006, 1:06 PM
Ok, personally I want to talk about football instead of all the other nonsense going on elsewhere on here. This competition is really starting to take shape and it looks like an exciting finish in both groups. It could be any two from three qualifying from Linfield, Derry and Shels and whilst Drogheda and Cork are looking good in the other group, Portadown cannot be ruled out. We have seen some cracking games, some great football and some controversial refereeing and I for one am enjoying this competition so let's get talking about the positives again. I agree that we cannot ignore racism or sectarianism but leave that to those in a position to do something to deal with it whilst we get on with talking about a brilliant competition.

Great post.

As last year there have been some great games and i think the standard of the televised games has been generally good.
The games at Windsor v Derry and Shels were excellent.

The competition has been a great addition to football on the island and looking forward to the semis and final

micls
yea Drogs didn't have a chance in the game aganst Cork - yeah thats it - keep it up our Cork friends as it is this blinkered vision and consant rewriting of history that will lead to a season of complete failure for our Cork cousins. (its amazing your all sarting to sound like little Ricos).

What are you on about?? Where did anyone say drogs didnt have a chance or are you making stuff up to suit your own purposes.

What was said is that Drogs were not 'well on top' before the sendings off. It was a tight game at that stage and either team couldve been a goal ahead...

Try actually reading the posts next time before spouting a load of rubbish

Peadar
Well done on you great win (earth shattering performance) against Dublin City - fine display. Also fantatsic 1-0 result against Dungannon last nigth fair play.

Lets see now, Drogs beat Swifts 1-0 at home.
Cork City beat Swifts 2-0 at home.
Drogs draw 0-0 away to Portadown.
City draw 1-1 away to Portadown.

Drogs beat Bohs 0-1 in their opening game without setting the world on fire.
Cork City beat Dublin City 1-0 in their opening game without setting the world on fire.

Not much differenc there.
Where there is a difference though is that in the 5 competitive games so far, the results stack up like this:

______P W D L F A GD Pts
City__ 5-4-1-0-7-1 +6 12
Drogs_5-3-1-1-6-2 +4 10

Now little man, what exactly was your point?

ColinR
15/03/2006, 1:18 PM
Not much differenc there.

exactly, but cork fans react madly to hoopy's opinion that drogheda shaded the match prior to dismissals. one man's opinion against cork on this board has to be shouted down

Now little man,

does the attack the post and not the poster not apply to cork fans??? or can we call everybody by sarcastic comments

micls
15/03/2006, 1:34 PM
exactly, but cork fans react madly to hoopy's opinion that drogheda shaded the match prior to dismissals. one man's opinion against cork on this board has to be shouted down

Thats completely untrue. Read back through the posts.

Firstly he didnt say ye shaded it he said ye were well on top. The responses were that ye werent well on top and that it was a very close game to that point.

Drogs could have shaded it, I thought it was pretty even all over, but the reaction(which was by no means mad) was to him saying they were well on top.

If you can say in all honesty that you thought they were well on top after seing the game then fair enough. Thats your opinion but one I would disagree with.

micls
15/03/2006, 1:38 PM
Dungannon were very unlucky last night, should have been 2-0 up at half time, Devine made a couple of great saves, they hit the inside of the post with a screamer.

Then gave away a dreadful goal, and hit the woodwork again before the end.

Cork were better second half bt I was very impressed with Swifts.

Would agree with this.
City were very poor especially in the first half and the loss of gamble and O'donovan really showed. We have to pray for lack of injuries as at the moment we do not have the strength in depth-especially in midfield.

Dungannon played much better than last week and deserved a draw-hitting the post twice.

However I was happier with the way City played after they score the goal and J o' flynn shouldve had two more after that.

Poor performance but good result in the end. Saturday against Drogheda will be the frst big test and City will seriously have to up it to come away with the 3 points

Peadar
15/03/2006, 1:39 PM
one man's opinion against cork on this board has to be shouted down

One person expressed their opinion, others expressed theirs.
Get over it!

The fact remains, you were 1-0 down when your players got themselves sent off.

Dassa
15/03/2006, 1:41 PM
what sort of crowd was there at Dungannon. Anyone any pictures?

pete
15/03/2006, 1:45 PM
Setantas tv coverage puts RTEs to shame. I counted at least 5 cameras in Dungannon last night & I might have missed one. RTE usually stick to 3 cameras at eL games. Setanta seem to be more inventive than RTE too which nice dugout cameras too.

City v Linfield for the Final.

Peadar
15/03/2006, 1:46 PM
City were very poor especially in the first half and the loss of gamble and O'donovan really showed.

Don't know what you saw on TV but I was at the game and we were not "especially poor"!
We opened them up at will during the first 15 minutes but then they settled and came more into the game.
The home side took the game to us but were restricted a few chances from long range. They moved the ball around well but rarely stretched us at the back. It was all or nothing for them as they were at home and desperate to salvage some pride.

...and deserved a draw-hitting the post twice.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while!
There are no points for "nearly" scoring.

micls
15/03/2006, 1:54 PM
Don't know what you saw on TV but I was at the game and we were not "especially poor"!
We opened them up at will during the first 15 minutes but then they settled and came more into the game.
The home side took the game to us but were restricted a few chances from long range. They moved the ball around well but rarely stretched us at the back. It was all or nothing for them as they were at home and desperate to salvage some pride.

Read my post again.
I didnt say city were especially poor I said they were poor especially in the first half :rolleyes:
They played nowhere near their potential.
Im shocked if you actually thought they played well in the first half

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while!
There are no points for "nearly" scoring.

Where did I say there were points for nearly scoring...
Dont try to twist my words. Most city fans agree that dungannon played well enough so that a draw would not have been an unfair result.

Im sure at some stage city have narrowly lost a game and you've said they deserved a draw :rolleyes:

The fact is dungannon are a poor side(although they played some nice footbal last night) in comparison to some of the sides we will face in the EL. We will seriously need to up last night performance when playing the likes of shels, derry and even drogs.

Surely even you can agree with that

ColinR
15/03/2006, 1:56 PM
One person expressed their opinion, others expressed theirs.
Get over it!

The fact remains, you were 1-0 down when your players got themselves sent off.

i've no problem with anyone's opinion about the match or whatever, its just on these boards that anyone that says anything negative (opinion based) about cork is immediately shouted down as being wrong no matter what.

in fairness - micls retort was a reasoned one.

it then doesn't help that some fans resort to name calling either

Now little man

Peadar
15/03/2006, 2:05 PM
it then doesn't help that some fans resort to name calling either

Can I expect a reformed United Park on Saturday?
No vulgar profanaties or objects being thrown from the natives? :rolleyes:

ColinR
15/03/2006, 2:12 PM
Can I expect a reformed United Park on Saturday?
No vulgar profanaties or objects being thrown from the natives? :rolleyes:

well as dan conner didn't have any glass bottle thrown at him from the shed during the setanta cup match, i sincerly hope that no more plastic bottles are thrown and george o c on saturday. it is cowardly from both sides, irrespective of what is thrown.

as for 'vulgar profanaties' well as cork are the visitors, there'll probably be the same as usually comes from the away shed.

anyway my name calling remark was clearly aimed at your 'attacking the poster' remark to sean, which i believe is against foot.ie rules, or are we having one rule for cork fans and another for the rest again.

apologies to everyone else for this going way off topic

Peadar
15/03/2006, 2:36 PM
anyway my name calling remark was clearly aimed at your 'attacking the poster' remark to sean, which i believe is against foot.ie rules, or are we having one rule for cork fans and another for the rest again.

Jaysus you're boring!
I'm so glad foot.ie doesn't have sound so we don't have to listen to you as well.

SeanDrog
15/03/2006, 2:42 PM
you cork lads really know how to cut to the bone :( can't beleive one human being said that to another :(

hope your proud - make you feel big did it , did you walk around a bit taller after that needless remark :(

I simply don't know what to ...... say ...........

Peadar
15/03/2006, 2:44 PM
I simply don't know what to ...... say ...........

Have Drogs fans been watching back to back episodes of Oprah or something because they're after getting hypersensitive all of a sudden.

The Sheliban
15/03/2006, 2:50 PM
Have Drogs fans been watching back to back episodes of Oprah or something because they're after getting hypersensitive all of a sudden.

Err, Mr Black, there's a fax coming in from Mr. Kettle...

Cosmo
15/03/2006, 3:01 PM

In fairness Peadar, I don't think any other Eircom League supporters will disagree that Cork fans are the biggest drama queens around!!

No offence intended, its just a fact :) !!

SeanDrog
15/03/2006, 3:04 PM
Peadar why do you keep the abuse up?

shame .... shame on you .............. just think about what you wrote ..... think how that would make you feel if you were on the receiving end of such vile ............ disgusting behaviour absolutely disgusting and no befitting of your clubs proud colours.

Peadar
15/03/2006, 3:11 PM
No offence intended, its just a fact :) !!

Absolutely! I work hard on it. ;)

Cosmo, you should have posted a notice on the bandwagon to alert your Johnny-come-lately's that there was a risk of serious banter when they mix with the big boys of Irish football. :D

just think about what you wrote ..... think how that would make you feel if you were on the receiving end of such vile ............ disgusting behaviour absolutely disgusting and no befitting of your clubs proud colours.

You're hilarious!
Seriously!
This is the best laugh I've had in days...

Err, Mr Black, there's a fax coming in from Mr. Kettle...

Mr. Black calling the kettle black???

SeanDrog
15/03/2006, 3:17 PM
well if abusing your fellow man gives you kicks then so be it - its your life and if you want hate to be your driving force then thats up to you but I would ask that you refrain from such hate driven abusive messages in future as quite simply it is uncalled for and hurtful.

Have a good evening

Schumi
15/03/2006, 3:21 PM
Mr. Black calling the kettle black???
calling the kettle a pot I assume.

dancinpants
15/03/2006, 3:27 PM
We just don't look like a team that could be bothered to beat anyone 3 or 4 nil & seem a bit too happy with 1-0s.

Did nobody else find this funny? Obviously not. Pete, ye make it sound like if Cork decide to beat someone 3 or 4-0 then thats what happens...there are TWO teams on a football pitch, the rest of us aren't here to make up numbers in the "Cork" league.

I have to agree with one of the Drogs lads, if you say anything about Cork that isn't praise you get shouted down in this forum...it's getting rediculous.