PDA

View Full Version : Football History in Ireland

sonofstan
13/03/2006, 3:33 PM
There has probably been a discussion about this before but I've tried the search function and I can't dig up much; so does anyone know of any books that cover (particularly the early) history of the game here? although I'd like to put together some kind of preliminary bibliography, so any recomendations welcome. I now there was a reprint of an irish football annual from 1880 from Ulster Uni press(?) which was interesting, but there doesn't appear to be much more outside of player biogs and stuff

just found 'association football and society in pre- partition ireland' which looks interesting

gspain
13/03/2006, 10:40 PM
Not a lot out there but Malcolm Brodie's IFA history books do cover it.

There were Internationals being played in Dublin as far back as 1900 and Shels and Bohs both won the Irish Cup in the early years of the last century.

Dodge
14/03/2006, 12:24 AM
Gerry galvin and Dave Redmond used to do the a great "Irish Soccer (or Football - can't remember) Handbook" which has stats galore as well as a few articles. They edit the Cork programme so they mught be able to put you in the right direction...

gspain
14/03/2006, 7:12 AM
Gerry galvin and Dave Redmond used to do the a great "Irish Soccer (or Football - can't remember) Handbook" which has stats galore as well as a few articles. They edit the Cork programme so they mught be able to put you in the right direction...

Dodge, there are some great historians/statisticians on Irish football and Gerry and Dave are up there with the best of them. However most books (if not all) focus on the F.A.I. or the League of Ireland post independence.

Prior to that football here was governed by the IFA from Belfast on an all island basis before the F.A.I. split in 1921.

The history of this period is normally left to the IFA historians.

We had a team from Limerick in the 1892 Irish Cup Final who I'm sure dominated the game and outclassed Linfield before narrowly losing 7-0 :)

Bohs and Shels both won the Irish cup.

sonofstan
14/03/2006, 7:27 AM
had a quick browse y'day of the book on the early days mentioned above and it seems as if the split between North and South in football long predated 1922 - southern teams long resented the northern stranglehold on the organisation of the game, and felt ignored or condescended too. Funny remark about regular friendlies (for charity) in Belfast between Bohs and Linfield being quite an event in the upper middle class social calendar - both teams were considered a cut above the normal riff- raff who played the game; don't know what's happened to Linfield since then.......

Dodge
14/03/2006, 10:36 AM
Dodge, there are some great historians/statisticians on Irish football and Gerry and Dave are up there with the best of them. However most books (if not all) focus on the F.A.I. or the League of Ireland post independence.
Oh I know that but I put in the bit about them being editors of the cork city programme because there contact details are the most openly available. You know yourself that most stats (and historical articles for that matter) aren't in books but held on the hard drives of various people. I'm sure Dave/Gerry would be more than happy to pass on the contact lists for someone with a bit more expertise in the early years.

Block G Raptor
14/03/2006, 10:49 AM
There is one book in blanch library on the subject. Hooped Dreams:the history of shamrock rovers[sic] I think that is the title anyway.

Block G Raptor
14/03/2006, 10:50 AM
just found 'association football and society in pre- partition ireland' which looks interesting
Can you give me details of where you found that. author/publisher etc. I'd be really interested in reading that

thanks

hoopy
14/03/2006, 11:13 AM
Buy our new book(:p ) We Are Rovers by Eoghan Rice where he goes into excellent detail of not only the history of the club but the league as well

sonofstan
14/03/2006, 11:27 AM
Can you give me details of where you found that. author/publisher etc. I'd be really interested in reading that

thanks

its called 'Association Football ans Society in Pre- Partition Ireland' and it's by Neal Garnham, and its published by the Ulster Historical Foundation - can't find it on Amazon, but it was published in 2004 so you should be able to lay your hands on it (it is/was 8.99 sterling - there's 3 copies out here in the Library in Belfield so I guess most Libraries would have bought it.

NY Hoop
14/03/2006, 11:49 AM
There is one book in blanch library on the subject. Hooped Dreams:the history of shamrock rovers[sic] I think that is the title anyway.

Good man. Passing the slow dole days reading about the biggest club.

KOH

Baker
14/03/2006, 3:37 PM

thanks

I also saw this in Easons on O'Connell st a few months ago.
It might be worth your while to give them a call.

Gypsy1890
14/03/2006, 4:46 PM
You can rent it from Dublin City Library (http://tinyurl.com/j3y4t) and can buy it from both Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/heaon) and Easons. (http://tinyurl.com/eshch)

ISBN:1 903688 345

BohDiddley
14/03/2006, 5:53 PM
Great thread.
Well worth a sticky on its own, but having it in permanent view also might help educate FAI ground-share vandals.

Block G Raptor
14/03/2006, 7:13 PM
Good man. Passing the slow dole days reading about the biggest club.

KOH

I won't even bother to answer that
get a life

Gypsy1890
14/03/2006, 8:00 PM
I know you asked about books but I thought I'd post this in anyway http://www.clubi.ie/fpage/history/history.html

NY Hoop
15/03/2006, 10:13 AM
I won't even bother to answer that
get a life

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life."

Or CHOOSE A SENSE OF HUMOUR gypo

KOH

monkey magic
15/03/2006, 11:01 AM
I know you asked about books but I thought I'd post this in anyway http://www.clubi.ie/fpage/history/history.html

"Shelbourne were to be the last southern club to win the Irish Cup after they won by default"

where have i seen this before.....:D

dcfcsteve
20/03/2006, 4:23 PM
"Shelbourne were to be the last southern club to win the Irish Cup after they won by default"

where have i seen this before.....:D

"1890 saw the formation of two new Dublin clubs, Bohemians and Leinster Nomads....."

I didn't know Rover's history stretched all the way back to then....?!?! :eek: ;)

Sandro
26/03/2006, 9:55 AM
Last year I wrote this article for a few footbal websites in Italy. I know there are some on line translator on the net but I don't trust them much

L’arpa, la croce, il pallone (ovale)
Irlanda: viaggio nell’isola del calcio che non c’è

Di Sandro Solinas

Sono tanti gli italiani d’Irlanda, li vedi passare abbronzati per le strade di Dublino tra gli eleganti caffè di Grafton e i neon aggressivi di O’Connel Street. La sera li puoi trovare al Temple Bar, inconfondibili anche quando si mischiano agli spagnoli fuori del Busker’s o al piano superiore dell’Oliver Gogarty Pub, luogo di culto del folk irlandese. Poi ci sono loro, gli italiani arrivati tanti anni fa per lavorare, quasi tutti giunti dall’entroterra frusinate come testimoniano inequivocabilmente i loro cognomi… Forte, Scappaticci, Cascarino (vi ricorda nulla?)… Una scelta difficile in una terra mai troppo generosa neanche con i propri figli, decimati da guerre, carestie e vicini poco amichevoli. Oggi lavorano in buona parte nei tanti fast food aperti a suo tempo dai loro padri e dai padri dei loro padri. Spesso, in un italiano assai incerto ed aprossimativo, parlano ai loro connazionali giunti numerosi da Ragusa a Bolzano per rincorrere l’aroma di una Guinness, il profilo di una Croce Celtica, o i tratti gentili della gente d’Irlanda. Qualunque sia il motivo per cui sono qui, gli italiani nell’isola di smeraldo non cercano né stadi, né magliette di calcio come farebbero sicuramente altrove (ricordate Verdone in viaggio di nozze?). Tra le tante affinità che accostano gli irlandesi alle nostre latitudini, dal temperamento alla spiritualità, dal passato sofferto allo straordinario patrimonio culturale, non troviamo infatti il pallone, non quello rotondo di cuoio almeno. Loro, i Latini del Nord, preferiscono di gran lunga gli sport della tradizione gaelica, dal football della GAA all’hurling (camogie nella versione al femminile, si fa per dire), un retaggio culturale che affonda le proprie radici nel sofferto anelito di indipendenza raggiunta solo dopo secoli di dominazione britannica. Al limite, dovendo necessariamente cedere ad un’imposizione degli odiati inglesi, gli irlandesi hanno scelto la palla ovale, riuscendo a sviluppare un movimento rugbystico di tutto rispetto attraverso l’attività giovanile nei college e regalando non poche gioie ai tanti appassionati che seguono la Nazionale allo stadio di Lansdowne Road. Quest’ultimo viene prestato sistematicamente alla nazionale di calcio che non possiede un proprio impianto, mentre gli adepti del Football gaelico possiedono un vero tempio, Croke Park, il cui profilo possente e magnifico si staglia negli affollati quartieri di Drumcondra nella zona nord di Dublino, non lontano da Tolka Park, lo stadio dello Shelbourne, sbilenco ed irregolare come buona parte degli stadi di calcio in Irlanda. Al contrario il calcio ha sempre faticato ad imporsi e ancora oggi non se la passa granché bene, con stadi semivuoti e giocatori assai modesti, gestiti da una federazione di veri dilettanti che, in un certo senso, aumenta le affinità con il nostro Paese. Colpa anche della vicina Premier League, i cui club paradossalmente godono di ampio sostegno tra gli sportivi irlandesi, almeno fino a quando gli scozzesi del Celtic di Glasgow – il club formato nel 1888 dagli irlandesi in fuga dalla carestia - non verranno ammessi ai più avvincenti campionati inglesi. Bruciate tutto ciò che è inglese, tranne il carbone tuonava il presidente De Valera. Altri tempi, Altri eroi. In ogni modo, il calcio moderno arrivò in Irlanda già nel lontano 1878 per merito di un uomo d’affari di Belfast, John McAlery, affscinato dal nuovo sport osservato durante un soggiorno nella vicina Scozia. L’Irish Football Association fu creata nel 1880, un anno dopo la nascita della prima squadra irlandese, il Cliftonville Fc di Belfast, oggi impegnata nei campionati dell’Irlanda del Nord (anche se non ufficialmente, è la squadra della comunità cattolica, come – in misura minore - il Glentoran, mentre il Linfield è sostenuto dai più numerosi protestanti) dopo la separazione delle sei contee (erroneamente l’Irlanda del Nord viene spesso indicata con il termine Ulster che indica, al contrario, una delle quattro storiche regioni dell’isola e comprende anche altre tre contee, Donegal, Cavan e Monaghan appartenenti all’Eire.). Con la nascita dello stato libero d’Irlanda nel 1921 (Eire è il corrispondente gaelico) divenne inevitabile creare un nuovo organismo amministrativo e a Dublino nacque in questo modo la Football Association of Ireland. Tra gli otto club fondatori vanno senz’altro ricordati il Bohemians - l’unico sempre presente nella massima divisione – ed il St. James’ Gate, la squadra delle celebri birrerie Guinness il cui cancello d’ingresso dà appunto il nome alla squadra, ritiratasi pochi anni fa dai campionati maggiori. Lo Shamrock Rovers, la squadra di maggior successo del calcio irlandese iniziò invece dalla Leinster League e subentrò subito dopo cominciando immediatamente a mietere successi (quindici in campionato e ventiquattro in coppa, in verità tutti un po’ datati). Il campionato fu ben presto appannaggio dei maggiori club di Dublino fino a quando nel 1932 il Dundalk portò finalmente il titolo in provincia, nella contea di Louth al confine con il Nord. Durante il secondo conflitto mondiale il campionato non venne sospeso e nel 1969 fu allargato a quattordici squadre ammettendo anche il Finn Harps che così allargò i confini del calcio nazionale fino al Donegal. Nel 1985 venne introdotta anche la seconda divisione (oggi chiamata sciaguratamente First Division, come in Inghilterra e Scozia) cui si iscrisse anche il Derry City, la squadra dell’omonima città cattolica dell’Irlanda del Nord, che preferì evitare le tensioni ed i pericoli legati alla tristemente nota situazione politica, i Troubles, come vengono eufemisticamente chiamati nell’isola. Proprio il Derry City è stato l’ultimo club a strappare il titolo alle forti squadre dublinesi che possono annoverare anche il vecchio Shelbourne ed il St. Patrick’s, entrambe formazioni di successo negli ultimi anni. La massiccia ed ingombrante presenza delle squadre della capitale (che includono anche l’UCD, il club degli studenti univeristari, e fino a poco fa il St. Francis, oltre ad altri club della zone limitrofe) del resto è da sempre uno dei motivi di scarso interesse del campionato che a tratti sembra assumere più i tratti di un torneo cittadino. Oggi le presenze negli stadi irlandesi sono assai contenute, ma fino agli anni Sessanta si registravano regolarmente medie oltre i venticinquemila spettatori. Se in ambito internazionale le squadre di club faticano a trovare una marcia regolare, pur riuscendo saltuariamente a conseguire risultati positivi, la nazionale è riuscita indubbiamente a ritagliarsi a cavallo degli anni Novanta uno spazio dignitoso nel firmamento del calcio mondiale, sfruttando il periodo d’oro della guida di Jackie Charlton, l’inglese più amato – o meno odiato – d’Irlanda. Insomma il calcio d’Irlanda sembra destinato a brevi apparizioni e ad episodiche fiammate, per poi sparire frettolosamente e soffermarsi in una mediocre apatia, facendo addirittura dubitare della sua esistenza. Se c’è, il pallone d’irlanda è nascosto davvero bene e ha poca voglia di rivelarsi al mondo. Come i folletti. Come i trifogli.

sonofstan
26/03/2006, 10:31 AM
il Bohemians - l’unico sempre presente nella massima divisione[/I]

now that would be great banner:D

BohDiddley
27/03/2006, 1:08 PM
now that would be great banner:D
Or chant, courtesy of Google Translate: 'only the always present one in the maximum division'
Has a ring to it, and beats 'If you hate the fookin Rovers clap yer hands' :p

pól-dcfc
27/03/2006, 4:40 PM
Quick, someone get onto Delaney, we've got the new name for the league!

The Eircom Maximum Division

dcfcsteve
29/03/2006, 11:00 AM
Quick, someone get onto Delaney, we've got the new name for the league!

The Eircom Maximum Division

The Leageus Maximus. 'It would w ank higher than any league in Wome....' :)