Block G Raptor
13/03/2006, 10:08 AM
does anyone know how i can compress photos
i used to be able to do it on my last jobs pc with photo editor
however i only have windows viewer and finepixviewer on this pc:confused:

Right Click on the Icon and send to Zip file

Plastic Paddy
13/03/2006, 10:12 AM
I think adiz might be talking about TIF or GIF compression from JPEG format rather than actual file compression a la WinZip. Not that I know how to do TIF or GIF compression or anything... :o

:ball: PP

finlma
13/03/2006, 10:27 AM
Aidz, I presume you want to reduce the size of photos for emailing or putting on the web? There are plenty of free applications out there for doing that - just google it.

A face
13/03/2006, 4:18 PM
does anyone know how i can compress photos
i used to be able to do it on my last jobs pc with photo editor
however i only have windows viewer and finepixviewer on this pc:confused:

I know its not free but Photoshop is the job !!

Google or go to www.download.com and search under software, look for freeware.

dahamsta
13/03/2006, 5:20 PM
Bloated piece of crap, pardon my Klatchian.

$Leon$
13/03/2006, 9:20 PM
just try changing them to jpeg files. just click edit then save as jpeg

A face
14/03/2006, 10:41 AM
Bloated piece of crap, pardon my Klatchian.

What, Photoshop?

Dodge
14/03/2006, 10:52 AM
If they're not too big, you might wanna upload them to www.imageshack.us or www.photonucket.com and let them resize/compress the photos for you...

dahamsta
14/03/2006, 11:17 AM
What, Photoshop?Yup. Hate it. Course my chosen app, PSP, is bloated too, and can only get more bloated now that those muppets in Corel have taken over it. However that doesn't stop PS being a bloated piece of crap. :)

$Leon$, your suggestion makes no sense. Either post usable instructions or don't post at all please.

adam

A face
14/03/2006, 11:34 AM
$Leon$, your suggestion makes no sense. Either post usable instructions or don't post at all please.

I'd say he means from within MS Paint, File and Save As

Yup. Hate it. Course my chosen app, PSP, is bloated too, and can only get more bloated now that those muppets in Corel have taken over it. However that doesn't stop PS being a bloated piece of crap. :)

Paint Shop Pro has some handy features but Photoshop is definitely the most preferred of the two. I always thought that PSP was the one to use for beginners, and when you understand layers and what can be done then its PS.

dahamsta
14/03/2006, 11:55 AM
I'd say he means from within MS Paint, File and Save AsI haven't had Paint installed on a rig in years, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed in years either, and last I looked it only handled bitmapped images.

Paint Shop Pro has some handy features but Photoshop is definitely the most preferred of the two....by professional designers, on the Mac platform. Obviously I don't like it, so in my case it's specifically not "preferred", n'est ce pas?

I always thought that PSP was the one to use for beginnersIt's just another editor, not "the one" for anything. Ditto Photoshop.

It's a case of each to his own, and each program to it's own. Personally, I find Photoshop a bloated, resource-greedy, unuable piece of crap. Other people think the same (or different) about Paint Shop Pro.

adam

John83
14/03/2006, 12:24 PM
I haven't had Paint installed on a rig in years, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed in years either, and last I looked it only handled bitmapped images.
It handles bitmaps, jpegs, png, gif, tiff and png these days.

I'd tend to agree with $Leon$, MS Paint will convert between those file types and will crop or resize the images too.

aidz1, for the love of Om don't save any photo as a gif. Ever. It has a limited number of colours and will screw it up. If you want lossless compression, png is probably the format to save to. Otherwise, jpg is about the smallest reasonable one. Experiment and see what suits you.

There's a decent article on file formats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats) on Wikipedia.

dahamsta
14/03/2006, 1:08 PM
It handles bitmaps, jpegs, png, gif, tiff and png these days.

I'd tend to agree with $Leon$, MS Paint will convert between those file types and will crop or resize the images too.Fair enough, but will it compress the image, like the OP requested?

aidz1, for the love of Om don't save any photo as a gif. Ever. It has a limited number of colours and will screw it up.It won't screw up an image that doesn't need more than a limited number of colours, which is often what you need for, for example, logos on the Internet. PNG is a pretty good format, but it can increase file size, particularly if not used correctly. It also isn't fully backward-compatible, in that although it'll load in most browsers, it'll look ugly as hell in many older - yet relatively recent - ones, because of that horrendous default black background. Again, it's not a format for amateurs.

If you want lossless compression, png is probably the format to save to. Otherwise, jpg is about the smallest reasonable one.JPG and GIF shouldn't even be used in the same post, they're completely different formats for completely different applications.

adam

A face
14/03/2006, 2:21 PM
It also isn't fully backward-compatible, in that although it'll load in most browsers, it'll look ugly as hell in many older - yet relatively recent - ones, because of that horrendous default black background. Again, it's not a format for amateurs.

Do you mean colour wise? I always go with Netscape safe colours anyway (where possible) so it avoids all that hassle, or are you referring to something else?

Edit:

because of that horrendous default black background.

I should stop this speed reading lark to be honest.

dahamsta
14/03/2006, 3:32 PM
Do you mean colour wise? I always go with Netscape safe colours anyway (where possible) so it avoids all that hassle, or are you referring to something else?
because of that horrendous default black background?????

John83
14/03/2006, 3:48 PM
Fair enough, but will it compress the image, like the OP requested?
Depends on what he meant. A jpg coming out of it is considerably smaller than a bmp, yes. It's not gzip though.

It won't screw up an image that doesn't need more than a limited number of colours, which is often what you need for, for example, logos on the Internet.
It's not often (I'd go so far as never) what you need for photos, which is what the OP asked about.

PNG ... not a format for amateurs.
Fair enough. I've never had a problem with it, but I suppose that would fall under the "experiment" advice I gave.

JPG and GIF shouldn't even be used in the same post, they're completely different formats for completely different applications.
Agreed, but someone mentioned gif above, and anyone coming to the subject cold needs to be warned off it for photos.

aidz1
15/03/2006, 1:52 PM
ta for the advice lads
managed to get hold of photo sotware (finepixviewer) that compressed the photos
i was looking to compress photos so i could put up on the web
i ended up reducing jpegs of 600k to about 55k each.
thx again

ThatGuy
15/03/2006, 3:42 PM
I'm amazed at the slating of Adobe Photoshop. The programming behind that software is simply astonishing and it is held in such esteem for a reason. It is a magnificent piece of software.

Also I would recommend macromedia Fireworks, though what the future holds for that particular program after Adobe's buy out is anyone's guess.-

dahamsta
15/03/2006, 4:02 PM
It's a very big piece of software, certainly. However the developers need to look the word "usability" up in a dictionary.

adam

A face
15/03/2006, 4:45 PM
Also I would recommend macromedia Fireworks, though what the future holds for that particular program after Adobe's buy out is anyone's guess.-

Yeah, you'd wonder what will happen there, although they took them over about 2 years now (could be wrong there) and Macromedia have released updated versions since afaik. If fireworks is actually making money then i cant see them getting rid of it.

monkey magic
15/03/2006, 7:25 PM
It's a very big piece of software, certainly. However the developers need to look the word "usability" up in a dictionary.

adam

actually, i find photoshop to be very usable, but it is targeted at the professional designer. for someone just wanting to mess around with pictures fireworks is definately a betteer choice, and i really hope they dont give it the boot.

if adobe had any sense they could use it as a low end, more simple and cheaper photo editing tool, loosely based on the photoshop platform but with an inexperienced user in mind.

Yeah, you'd wonder what will happen there, although they took them over about 2 years now (could be wrong there) and Macromedia have released updated versions since afaik.
not so sure about that, last fireworks ive seen was fireworks mx, which is i think is about two years old, there was a dreamweaver mx and flash mx at the time too, and ive seen newer versions of them, i think flash 8 is the current one but ive yet to see a fireworks 8...

dahamsta
15/03/2006, 7:49 PM
I wouldn't consider myself a professional designer, but I would consider myself a professional "software user"; or more accuratey, a power user. I reckon I'm qualified to have the opinion that Photoshop is an unusable piece of crap.

adam

dahamsta
16/03/2006, 11:40 AM
Crap split here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=34516).

Dodge
16/03/2006, 11:45 AM
You're a bit evangelical about hating it though adam. Some like it, you don't. Can we not just leave it there?

dahamsta
16/03/2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think I'm being evangelical Dodge, just expressing an opinion. Everyone else is welcome to express an opinion too, just not in the way ThatGuy did.

Monkey Magic's post was a bit elitist, for example (I'm not someone that "messes around" either), but I didn't ban him. :)

I think PS is a piece of crap, others don't. The world turns.

adam

GalwayFrancis
16/03/2006, 1:05 PM
if someone wants to have photos compressed and hosted free of charge... email me - galwayfrancis@gmail.com