PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Focus

sligoman
12/03/2006, 11:09 PM
Mark O'Neill-Cummins' eircom review(From Aertel)

The waiting is finally over and eircom League soccer is back with us and what an interesting opening weekend it proved to be.

Champions Cork City could only manage a 1-0 win over Dublin City, and that from the penalty spot, while Shels were held to a draw out in Bray.

Both sides have had decent enough performances in the Setanta Sports Cup so far but failed to reproduce that form on Friday night, but it's early days.

One side with Setanta ambitions who will be happy with their league opener are Drogheda United.

Drogs thoroughly outplayed Bohs at Dalymount Park and left with three points courtesy of a 1-0 win.

It could have been more but for a decent performance from Stephen O'Brien in the Bohs goal.

Bohs were very poor against Drogs and won't relish a trip to the home of the First Division champions.

Big signing Vinny Arkins was played out of the game and failed to make an impact, while Stephen Ward had an unusually quiet night.

An interested observer at Dalymount was Sligo Rovers boss Sean Connor.

Bohs travel up to The Showgrounds next weekend and Connor will fancy his chances of taking all three points.

However, his and Sligo's cause will not have been helped by the postponement of their opener against Longford Town at Flancare Park, especially so close to kick-off.

This is sure to have inconvenienced both fans and players alike, but given the heavy rainfall, match officials would have had no other option but to postpone the game.

Over at Richmond Park, Pat's again had the bad luck that afflicted them all through 2005.

Last season's problems were long and varied: failing to hold a lead, missing easy chances, conceding late goals, etc, etc.

Against Waterford on Friday it was a missed penalty, or a saved penalty to be precise, Jimmy Fyffe expertly denying Trevor Molloy.

Pat's really need to start taking these opportunities or they will stay stuck in the doldrums.

Shamrock Rovers hosted Dundalk in the First Division clash of the fallen giants and came from behind to take the points.

Pat Scully was happy with the win, as he would be, but it's too early to suggest that Rovers will walk this league as some pundits have claimed.

Galway are in with a shout but will be seriously disappointed with a 0-0 draw at Monaghan.

Limerick also fancy their chances but their tie with Kildare was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at Hogan Park.

The same fate befell the Finn Harps v Athlone Town clash to bring the total of postponements to three.

But what would our league be without the odd bit of disruption, even on the opening weekend?

Billy Lord
12/03/2006, 11:23 PM
While we don't expect to walk the First Division, we believe that this season will be of profound significance for Shamrock Rovers. After all, it's the first season where the fans are in full control.
We're having fun running our club.

Poor Student
12/03/2006, 11:26 PM
What a randomly written article. He somehow managed to not mention Derry beating UCD with Derry being on top of the league.

Speranza
13/03/2006, 12:15 AM
More trash. I'd rather have no aertel page than such a poor attempt at journalism.

sligoman
13/03/2006, 8:28 AM
He did give us a good mention though, and we didn't even play:p.

Block G Raptor
13/03/2006, 8:33 AM
Mark O'Neill-Cummins' eircom review(From Aertel)

The same fate befell the Finn Harps v Athlone Town clash to bring the total of postponements to three.

But what would our league be without the odd bit of disruption, even on the opening weekend?

Summer Football :rolleyes:

sfc red
13/03/2006, 8:34 AM
The words of a last minute article. How can he judge Cork and Shels' performances if he wasn't there???

Student Mullet
13/03/2006, 10:02 AM
The words of a last minute article. How can he judge Cork and Shels' performances if he wasn't there???My opinion exactly. This article sounds more and more like a not very informed discussion in a pub than an actual piece of journalism.

ThatGuy
13/03/2006, 1:33 PM
More trash. I'd rather have no aertel page than such a poor attempt at journalism.
I agree.

Who is Mark O'Neill Cummins anyway? I've never heard of him, so why is his name attached to the article? I don't think that any other article on Aertel includes the name of the writer in the title.

The column is ridiculous.

sonofstan
13/03/2006, 2:22 PM
I agree.

Who is Mark O'Neill Cummins anyway? I've never heard of him, so why is his name attached to the article? I don't think that any other article on Aertel includes the name of the writer in the title.

The column is ridiculous.

if you google him, all that comes up is aertel, here, and some stuff on golf from ages ago on eircom.net - the man's only function seems to be to fill up hyperspace with rambling nothingness. What happened to John Byrne? a hoop, but at least he knew what he was talking about

CollegeTillIDie
13/03/2006, 8:21 PM
if you google him, all that comes up is aertel, here, and some stuff on golf from ages ago on eircom.net - the man's only function seems to be to fill up hyperspace with rambling nothingness. What happened to John Byrne? a hoop, but at least he knew what he was talking about

He's the Rovers PR guy now Son of Stan

sonofstan
13/03/2006, 11:20 PM
He's the Rovers PR guy now Son of Stan

yeah, I knew that actually - it was a feeble attempt at torpid mid- afternoon humour - I'll put a smiley in next time:)
:)

Red4Eva
13/03/2006, 11:36 PM
i'd prefer if they used that aertel page for upcoming eL fixtures rather than having to wait through premiership, championship&spl ones

A face
14/03/2006, 9:05 PM

He has been doing that page since the start of last season AFAIK, and had some handy articles on there too. There have been threads praising the guy to the hilt over them too, so he must have been doing something right.

Philo
14/03/2006, 9:42 PM
He did give us a good mention though, and we didn't even play:p.

Don't get too carried away, he's only using Sligo Rovers as a vehicle for his puerile Bohs bashing. Drogheda may have beaten us by a single goal but both teams were muck on the night and I suspect this Cummins mong was in Tolka for shamrock v Dundalk anyway.

holidaysong
15/03/2006, 12:36 PM
...and I suspect this Cummins mong was in Dundalk anyway.

He wouldn't have seen much there since we were playing away... :D

Philo
15/03/2006, 8:04 PM
He wouldn't have seen much there since we were playing away... :D

Er..... that's what I said.:ball:

milltown messer
24/03/2006, 8:57 AM
Attn: SligoMan
Two things 1 - Why do you criticise the aertel column each and every week? Have you nothing better to do? 2- Are you the genuis who criticised Emmet Malone in the IT? As i recall you said ' i take issue with several of Malone's points'. Who are you to take issue with Emmet Malone? :ball:

sligoman
25/03/2006, 12:03 AM
Attn: SligoMan
Two things 1 - Why do you criticise the aertel column each and every week? Have you nothing better to do? 2- Are you the genuis who criticised Emmet Malone in the IT? As i recall you said ' i take issue with several of Malone's points'. Who are you to take issue with Emmet Malone? :ball::rolleyes:.

Attention: milltown messer.
Two things 1-Where did I criticise the Aertel column in this thread?
2-Who the feck is Emmet Malone and what the feck are you talking about?:confused:.

milltown messer
26/03/2006, 12:29 PM
Sligoman. if you don't know who Emmet Malone is then you shouldn't be posting on an Irish soccer site

sullanefc
26/03/2006, 1:13 PM
Sligoman. if you don't know who Emmet Malone is then you shouldn't be posting on an Irish soccer site

Who?? :confused: Am I not aloud to post here either??:confused:

sligoman
26/03/2006, 1:19 PM
Who?? Am I not aloud to post here either??:confused:No! We're both banned now. *hangs head in shame*

:rolleyes:.

Milltown, can you please answer my first question? Where did I criticise the article?:confused:.

Poor Student
26/03/2006, 1:20 PM
Emmet Malone is the Irish Times' football correspondant. He often writes about the eL.

pineapple stu
26/03/2006, 1:26 PM
Who are you to take issue with Emmet Malone?
'Cos Emmet Malone has the journalistic equivalent of papal infallibility now, does he?

milltown messer
26/03/2006, 2:40 PM
The point i'm making is these guys promote the league, I don't see the logic in criticising them just cause you don't like what they say.

sligoman
26/03/2006, 2:42 PM
The point i'm making is these guys promote the league, I don't see the logic in criticising them just cause you don't like what they say.What the feck are you on about? I didn't criticise him you fool:rolleyes:. You really are stupid, and again, can you answer my last question please?

pineapple stu
26/03/2006, 2:47 PM
They may promote the league, but anyone's certainly entitled to take issue with them if they're wrong, surely?!

Feech
26/03/2006, 7:47 PM
He has been doing that page since the start of last season AFAIK, and had some handy articles on there too. There have been threads praising the guy to the hilt over them too, so he must have been doing something right.

Good gag...