PDA

View Full Version : Best World Cup TV Station

pete
31/05/2002, 4:19 PM
If you had a choice which station would you watch on?

James
01/06/2002, 1:26 PM
aaah good old rte
not only do we get to see the world cup game, but then we also get the Dunphy V Giles game afterwards

today was another priceless example

Colm
01/06/2002, 1:43 PM
Yeah, you cant beat RTE, at least for the World Cup. Dunphy was a disgrace today, im sure he actually wanted Ireland to lose. He is still sulking over the Keane issue.

MikeW
01/06/2002, 2:42 PM
I wanted to say RTE, but I'm not going to watch it as long as that scumbag Dunphy is on. I still can't believe the guy wanted Cameroon to win. BBC is quite good as usual but anyone seen ITVs coverage so far? Andy Townsend is just boring but Paul Gascoigne can't even talk properly and these are two of their expert analysts. Gascoigne seems like he's drunk most of the time slurring his speech, although its probably the damage he's done to his already small brain over the years thats more to blame than anything.

Jim Smith
01/06/2002, 6:19 PM
...the only problem I have is with George Hamilton. It is a sad inditement of the education system that he wasn't beaten to death at school. He's brutal.

leesider
03/06/2002, 2:20 PM
Whether you hate him or love (don't think many people would go that far) him Dunphy provides great entertainment!! The only thing I can fault RTE with is some of the commentating otherwise it is first class, a lot better than watching Gazza blabber on about England on UTV (or was it BBC, whichever)

The Legend
03/06/2002, 9:19 PM
Cause of US ignorance, I have to watch all the feicin games in Spanish, but it's not all that bad, better than Hamilton.

It brought a smile to my face when the happy mexican commentator went crazy for Matt's gooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll

Neil
03/06/2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
I have to watch all the feicin games in Spanish, but it's not all that bad, better than Hamilton.

What about Seamus Malin on ESPN? The Little Irish Leprechaun!

The Legend
03/06/2002, 11:55 PM
I thought the irish guy on ESPN was Tommy Smith?

Whoever it was i had to break my ass laughing when, during the half time of the French match he refused to preview the irish game, cause of the Keane affair. He was in too much pain to talk about it ha!ha!

Des

pete
04/06/2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Neil
What about Seamus Malin on ESPN? The Little Irish Leprechaun!

I presume he is THE irish guy on ESPN? Anyone know what his football credentials are as he seems to have a dubious knowledge of the game.

For irish games i'd mainly eatch on RTE but also skip over to BBC if they showing. For non-irish games BBC be first choice.

The RTE presenters seem to be very formal even wearing suits for the dawn games. BBC seem to be much more relaxed IMO Gary Lineker probably best presenter.

Anyone seen Gazza on ITV. You need to concentrate to understand what he trying to say but he worth a look to see howbad he really is.

;)

Neil
04/06/2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by pete

Anyone seen Gazza on ITV. You need to concentrate to understand what he trying to say but he worth a look to see howbad he really is.

There's a good p!sstake of him on the Irish Times today! have a look...

Éanna
04/06/2002, 3:12 PM
don't have rte out here, so I'll go for BBC. gazza is brutal on itv

brine2
04/06/2002, 3:39 PM
RTE may have Dunphy, but at least you can enjoy it as the pundits have a mini-war between each other.

On the BBC it's all friendly banter and in-jokes and run of the mill cliche punditism. And people like Dave O'Leary and Alan Hansen hoping England will win against Sweden. Bah!

Nevermind John Motson, who is said to have bags of knowledge about European football, such as which club Zinedine Zidane plays for and who the Italian champions are. Thanks John, but I knew that already. Give me slightly mad George Hamilton anyday.

Pauro 76
04/06/2002, 6:19 PM
RTE is definitely better, no matter what ya say about Dunphy, he gets people talking. And for Apres Match too. BBC after that, Lineker is quite funny at times, Martin O'Neill is pretty entertaining, but ITV god where do i start! Gazza and McCoist show is like a drunken conversation in the pub, and as for Venables the mockney geezah, whos too afraid to speak out in case of offending future employers...

pete
05/06/2002, 11:14 AM
Apres Match can be fairly lame sometimes but they did skit on Nike ad the other night which was excellent.

Eamonn, Bill & Johnny versus TV3s Trevor & Aidan with Colm Murray for Cantona.

Best Apres Match for many a year. Hopefully RTE will show it again as think they only showed at end of highlights show or something.

:D

Neil
06/06/2002, 8:54 PM
RTE is worth watching for the Mastercard balls one-liners before and after ad breaks. Brilliant!

The one where they are trying to decide what to call people from Cameroon - "Cameranians? Camaroons? Camarooniranians!" :D

patsh
07/06/2002, 8:22 AM
Did anyone see Gazza on ITV before the opening game?
No matter how many times he was told, he still could not grasp that Senegal is in Africa, not South America.
ITV is sometimes worth watching for how bad it is,
BBC is worth watching for David O'Leary/Peter Reid/Martin O'Neill getting put down by Lawro & Hansen,
but RTE, even when the pr*ck Collins is on, is the best. Gerry Armstrong knows his stuff, Giles is Giles, and I quite like watching Dunphy getting put in his place by Chippy. I'd like to see Razor Houghton put in with Giles and Dunphy though. Can't take to Tony Cascarino though, he seems to know a bit, but his accent grates on me.........

BTW, I only realised this morning that Jim Beglin is also
co-commentating for ITV. Is Georgie boy jealous I wonder?.... ;)

Colm
07/06/2002, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by pete
Apres Match can be fairly lame sometimes but they did skit on Nike ad the other night which was excellent. Yeah that was very funny. Their Trevor Welch impressions are brilliant.