PDA

View Full Version : O'Rourke wins World Indoor Gold!

Dodge
11/03/2006, 11:35 PM
Dervla O'Rourke won gold in the womens 60m Hurdles this afternoon. Unlike some indoor events, the winners of this usually go on to great things outdoors. She's been in magnificent form this year but I honestly thought she'd medal at best. Never expected her to win gold.

http://www.iaaf.org/WIC06/news/Kind=2/newsId=33872.html

TheJamaicanP.M.
12/03/2006, 12:18 AM
Outstanding achievement and well deserved by all accounts. She was the youngest participant in the final and the fastest in the qualifying rounds. Her technique over the hurdles is supposed to be excellent so it would be fair to suggest that she's destined for more success. She can now take on the mantle of Susan Smith.;)

new blue
12/03/2006, 12:55 AM
fabulous
fantastic achievement!!
all proud of her

Dodge
12/03/2006, 3:05 AM
Have you ever seen a picture like the one below that defines the word determination

CollegeTillIDie
12/03/2006, 8:56 AM
Irish woman in ability to sprint and hurdle at a decent level shock!
Caucasian wins medal at less than 200 m shock !
Well done young wan ! :)
One sore point... we couldn't watch her live on domestic terrestrial TV

Dodge
12/03/2006, 2:21 PM
Caucasian wins medal at less than 200 m shock !

You obviously know nothing about the event...

Anyway in other good performances over the weekend, Allaister Cragg finished 4th in a quality 3000m field and James Nolan finished 6th in the 1500m

Aberdonian Stu
12/03/2006, 3:21 PM
Dervla O'Rourke won gold in the womens 60m Hurdles this afternoon.

Don't mean to nag but it's Derval not Dervla (I recall her not being terribly pleased when people got it wrong).

dahamsta
12/03/2006, 3:22 PM
Nice bod.

pete
12/03/2006, 4:49 PM
Nice bod.

Lowers the tone again.... not that i'm disagreeing with you. ;)

I don't know much about here but for irish woman to win a sprint event where our facilities would be sparce is a huge achievement. In the past most athletics medals came in middle distance i suppose because could move into from cross country (we have loads of facilities in that).

I see Bertie & McAlesse already jumping on the bandwagon. Poor show given she only gets 12,000 euro grant a year. Horses & Dogs get bigger grants. :rolleyes:

Dodge
12/03/2006, 5:47 PM
Don't mean to nag but it's Derval not Dervla (I recall her not being terribly pleased when people got it wrong).
'Twas just a simple spelling typo.

Block G Raptor
13/03/2006, 1:24 PM
Fair fcuks to her, Great to have a champion again. Hope she was tested and passed for Drugs,I Couldn't take another disappointment like Michelle or Cian

Dodge
13/03/2006, 2:36 PM
Fair fcuks to her, Great to have a champion again. Hope she was tested and passed for Drugs,I Couldn't take another disappointment like Michelle or Cian
She passed all her competitive tests and Cian O'Connor has never failed one either. Don't see why you were so upset ;)

Block G Raptor
13/03/2006, 4:38 PM
Cian O'Connor has never failed one either. Don't see why you were so upset ;)No but his horse did, And unfortunetly they don't give/take away medals to/from Horses :mad: I get ****ed off coz we really get behind our competitors in this country and its pretty sh1tty when they get caught

Dodge
13/03/2006, 6:13 PM
No but his horse did, And unfortunetly they don't give/take away medals to/from Horses :mad: I get ****ed off coz we really get behind our competitors in this country and its pretty sh1tty when they get caught
I was taking the **** but seeing as you mentioned. We, as a country, do in our collective holes get behind our sports people. We love them if they win medlas but I can guarentee you before the olympics less than 10% of country knew who Cian O'Connor was and before Saturday ever fewer knew who Derval O'Rourke was.

Dodge
13/03/2006, 7:57 PM
http://www.iaaf.org/WIC06/multimedia/video.html
Full race in the 2nd Day highlights package at link above, for those who didn't see it

CollegeTillIDie
15/03/2006, 7:47 AM
You obviously know nothing about the event...

It's the indoor equivalent of the 110 m hurdles outdoor.
Irish sprinters traditionally break the national record and come last in their heats at major championships... hence my comment!

No caucasian has won an olympic sprint or 110m hurdle gold medal at any event since the Moscow Olympics as far as I know ... open to correction on this.

Aberdonian Stu
15/03/2006, 8:13 AM
In the women's events it's 100m hurdles outdoors. It was definitely won by caucasians in 1988 and 1992.

I really don't want this thread to become about race as the actual divide seems to be regional. I'll finish by pointing out that European women of any race are far more successful in sprinting than European men.

drinkfeckarse
15/03/2006, 10:51 AM
I can guarentee you before the olympics less than 10% of country knew who Cian O'Connor was and before Saturday ever fewer knew who Derval O'Rourke was.

True, I hadn't a clue who she was but I'll put that down to the fact that I'm outwith the local scene. Being very sport minded I'm sure it'd be different if I still lived back home.

The Stars
15/03/2006, 11:30 AM
her coach was in with us yesterday and the man is a legend.His training techniques are completely different to everything ive learned before and with a coach like that its no wonder she won

hoops1
15/03/2006, 11:38 AM
I seem to remember Eric De Bruin saying the same thing before
Michelle Smith grew a mustache

Dodge
15/03/2006, 11:50 AM
It's the indoor equivalent of the 110 m hurdles outdoor... open to correction on this.
Duly corrected by stu. Further news;

The last 5 olympics; gold, silver, bronze. White people in bold
1988 Yordanka Donkova (BUL) Gloria Siebert (GDR) Claudia Zackiewicz (FRG)
1992 Voula Patoulidou (GRE) LaVonna Martin (USA) Yordanka Donkova (BUL)
1996 Ludmila Engquist (SWE) Brigita Bukovec (SLO) Patricia Girard-Léno (FRA)
2000 Olga Shishigina (KAZ) Glory Alozie (NGR) Melissa Morrison (USA)
2004 Joanna Hayes (USA) Olena Krasovska (UKR) Melissa Morrison (USA)

CollegeTillIDie
15/03/2006, 8:52 PM
I seem to remember Eric De Bruin saying the same thing before
Michelle Smith grew a mustache

Hoops you do know she is a qualified Lawyer now don't you? :D

pete
15/03/2006, 8:55 PM
Hoops you do know she is a qualified Lawyer now don't you? :D

Could she have choosen a more apt profession?

CollegeTillIDie
16/03/2006, 6:17 AM
Could she have choosen a more apt profession?

A pharmacist perchance?.... I'll get my coat:o

CollegeTillIDie
16/03/2006, 6:17 AM
Duly corrected by stu. Further news;

The last 5 olympics; gold, silver, bronze. White people in bold
1988 Yordanka Donkova (BUL) Gloria Siebert (GDR) Claudia Zackiewicz (FRG)
1992 Voula Patoulidou (GRE) LaVonna Martin (USA) Yordanka Donkova (BUL)
1996 Ludmila Engquist (SWE) Brigita Bukovec (SLO) Patricia Girard-Léno (FRA)
2000 Olga Shishigina (KAZ) Glory Alozie (NGR) Melissa Morrison (USA)
2004 Joanna Hayes (USA) Olena Krasovska (UKR) Melissa Morrison (USA)

Dodge

Thanks for that mate couldn't find that info anywhere :D

Number9
16/03/2006, 4:54 PM
her coach was in with us yesterday and the man is a legend.His training techniques are completely different to everything ive learned before and with a coach like that its no wonder she won

You're obviously in awe of this man. Well, who is this legend? What's so completely different about his training techniques? He's obviously not the fella from the lukozade ad - fact!
Maybe Derval can make herself a few bob now and join in in with Duffer and co. after her great achievement.

The Stars
16/03/2006, 8:23 PM
You're obviously in awe of this man. Well, who is this legend? What's so completely different about his training techniques? He's obviously not the fella from the lukozade ad - fact!
Maybe Derval can make herself a few bob now and join in in with Duffer and co. after her great achievement.
I forget his name but he will be in again on tiuesday so will tell you then.
No he isnt the guy from the lucozade add but he did say people always mistake him for that guy.
Go to www.saqireland.net and you will see all the differences in training techniques.
For example,he never gets Footballer or Rugby player to run more than 30 meters at one time.There is no point because you never have to sprint for any longer than this flat out in a match.

Aberdonian Stu
17/03/2006, 12:16 AM
It's Jim Kilty isn't it?

Dodge
17/03/2006, 12:57 AM
It's Jim Kilty isn't it?
Him and Sean Cahill (eh 110m hurdle olympian)

The Stars
22/03/2006, 12:26 PM
ya it is jim kilty.he also coaches the wexford hurling team