PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Review: Week 1

Pages : [1] 2

pete
11/03/2006, 8:09 PM
No real surprises except Shels dropping 2 points given they would have better fitness with Setanta Cup. Looks like will be 2 tier league again with top 4 & then the others.

Won't know much more for a few weeks yet.

chippie0001
11/03/2006, 9:02 PM
I expect Shels and Cork to be the top two and by the end of the first 11 games be a little ahead. I would have Drogheda and Derry for 3rd and 4th and well both of those got off to good wins. Maybe one or both will be able to keep pace with the top two over the season but doubt Shels will make the same mistakes as last season.

After that I think it will be tight enough. Waterford got a good away point, Dublin City and UCd did not disgeace themselves. Bohs and Pats look like last year in a way but I think pats will be stronger. All in all, apart from the top 4 all other positions are there to play for and after last night I would not be hopefull we will be in the top 5/6.

pete
11/03/2006, 9:07 PM
IMO Shels are getting worse not better. Their midfield & defense from Bray game wouldn't scare anyone.

CollegeTillIDie
11/03/2006, 9:48 PM
With Steve Williams back in goal they will win again.

Roo69
11/03/2006, 9:52 PM
IMO Shels are getting worse not better. Their midfield & defense from Bray game wouldn't scare anyone.

But the thing that does scare people is when i looked at there bench, Kearney and Ndo sitting waiting to come on. Ndo looked excellent when he came on, can't for the life of me understand why he did'nt start ? especially seeing as we had a centre half (Wes Charles) making his 1st ever apperence in central midfield.

Cork were playing at home against a newley promoted team and won 1 nil, nothing what so ever to write home about. Shels on the other hand were away from home on a biterly cold and windy night in the Carlisle Grounds and drew 2-2 and with a better final ball could have won the match.

Out of all the title hopefulls Drogs and Derry had the most impressive opening day wins IMO.

Dodge
11/03/2006, 10:57 PM
1st week tells nothing. Setanta teams should have an advantage as settling in. Most others have big changes. It'll take while for league to settle. Would expect the top 4 to remain the same though

Block G Raptor
11/03/2006, 11:15 PM
Out of all the title hopefulls Drogs and Derry had the most impressive opening day wins IMO.
The Droggs Were Sh!te they were just slightly less Sh!te than us thats all

ndrog
12/03/2006, 12:17 AM
The Droggs Were Sh!te they were just slightly less Sh!te than us thats all

We were all over you in the first half last nite.We where really solid defensively with jason gavin having a great game. It should have been 2 or more with barrett missing a great chance. Bohs where completely toothless ! Did you have a shot on target all nite. Thank the lord you got arkins and not us. He was ****e !

sfc red
12/03/2006, 2:15 AM
1st week tells nothing

Alas, someone is talking sense!!!!!

IMO Shels are getting worse not better. Their midfield & defense from Bray game wouldn't scare anyone

I see you also posted this on your site, who are you trying to convince?? Were you there on Friday? You're basing your assumption on O'Halloran being the backup he was last season, when he's actually been outstanding this season so far! Rogers, Ndo, Kearney, O'Neill and Williams on the bench, Stewie, Baker and Crawley (:D ) not even there. Get a grip mate. Its early days yet

sfc red
12/03/2006, 2:18 AM
Ndo looked excellent when he came on, can't for the life of me understand why he did'nt start?

Shels on the other hand were away from home on a biterly cold and windy night in the Carlisle Grounds and drew 2-2 and with a better final ball could have won the match.

Talking sense as usual Roo69, fair play. I thought Bray were excellent tonight, keeper is very very good IMO and Zayed is just class. Great crowd too and a brilliant atmosphere. But in saying that, we would have won the game comfortably if not for individual mistakes.

As for Ndo, he was being rested for Monday I'm led to believe.

Speranza
12/03/2006, 2:27 AM
Being rested for Monday this early in the season? Keep it up Pat I love your flawed management :)

sfc red
12/03/2006, 2:31 AM
Since Hajduk Split last season, Nutzy thinks he is a tactical God

A face
12/03/2006, 3:08 AM
Since Hajduk Split last season, Nutzy thinks he is a tactical God

Why weren't Wes and Ndo playing more .... the four month low for Shels last year needed those two on to change it, it didn't happen.

Nutsy was far from a tactical genius and he gets less credibility by the day when he isn't honest in interviews .... ffs !! :(

The Sheliban
12/03/2006, 8:57 AM
I'm tipping Derry for the League this year. I really can't see why everyone is underestimating them, particularly after last season.

Magicme
12/03/2006, 10:45 AM
Everyone who has money on Galway winning the first division should ask for their money back....they were not exactly setting the pitch on fire. Our Jim Murphy kept Lavine in his box big time even when Lavine was committing some dirty tackles and only got booked once. Should have been sent off for the amount of dodgy challenges he committed

Conor H
12/03/2006, 11:09 AM
Well it was the 1st game of the season.I mean last year we bet yee 3-1 on the opening day and then look what happened.We were second last for about 2 months!

sfc red
12/03/2006, 12:19 PM
Why weren't Wes and Ndo playing more .... the four month low for Shels last year needed those two on to change it, it didn't happen.

Nutsy was far from a tactical genius and he gets less credibility by the day when he isn't honest in interviews .... ffs !! :(

Thats my point A Face. Since that game, he started to believe the hype of him being a master tactician etc when in reality he hasn't played 2 of the most skilful players in the league and played too defensively in Europe

sligoman
12/03/2006, 12:51 PM
Our Jim Murphy kept Lavine in his box big time even when Lavine was committing some dirty tackles and only got booked once. Should have been sent off for the amount of dodgy challenges he committedWelcome to the wonderful world of Eric Lavine;).

pete
12/03/2006, 4:40 PM
I think Shels have dropped 2 points because they always seem to beat Bray.

I think Derry will do well as have good scoring options but will see what impact Setanta Cup & Uefa Cup have.

I've no doubt that Shels have good midfield players in Byrne, Ndo & Baker but Fenlon is too cautious to play them. Ndo would get into any team in the country but Fenlon won't start him in games - i don't buy the fitness excuse. Crawford is past it & Moore not good enough. O'Halloran can do a job alongside a creative player but limited otherwise.

I think will continue to struggle to score goals - 2 goals in 4 games so far.

sligoman
12/03/2006, 5:21 PM
Pete, you're great at giving your opinion on other team's. How about telling us about Cork's narrow victory over CHF? What did you make of that?

pete
12/03/2006, 5:30 PM
Pete, you're great at giving your opinion on other team's. How about telling us about Cork's narrow victory over CHF? What did you make of that?

I wasn't at the game but seemed typical performance. Out of the blocks very quickly & after leading the game forced HF to push the game which they didn't really do. I would prefer Behan to Fenn in the league as gives more options. We are unlikely to win by many goals this season but have mean defense whioch is vital in the big games. We have no left sided midfielder but no team has exposes yet as 3 in central midfield is too strong.

Speranza
12/03/2006, 6:12 PM
I would agree that Cork have very good options in centre midfield so the lack of width may not affect them in the same way that it will Drogheda who IMO are lacking on the wings.

I would say though that Fenn doesn't score enough. You may point to Gary Beckett for us and say the same but Beckett does so much for the team in terms of supplying ball and holding it up for Mark Farren's pace to do the damage. Behan is simply not of the same standard as other out and out goalscorers. It all rests on the fragile John O'Flynn.

I think Derry will do well as have good scoring options but will see what impact Setanta Cup & Uefa Cup have.

We have a huge squad. Gareth Mc Glynn and Mc COurt are currently out but Cash and Killian Brennan will slot in their with no loss of quality.

$hels will be very hard to beat over the season but that blip on Friday does bring back memories of opening match 05 against UCD and look were that led to. We have a stronger squad than anyone but IMO it's down to our best XI vs $hels.

Pete, do you honestly think Cork can win the league with so little cover in vital areas?

pete
12/03/2006, 6:17 PM
Pete, do you honestly think Cork can win the league with so little cover in vital areas?

Yes. We will struggle with current squad. However i expect additions in next transfer window. Rico seems to be waiting for extra quality. No use bringing in average left winger if he won't drop other midfielder for him.

BTW i meant mental challenge for Derry City. I still believe Europe a huge setup for the inexperienced.

Drogheda United v Cork City in Week 2 is first big league game of the season.

Speranza
12/03/2006, 6:23 PM
I don't think it is a big game TBH. Cork should beat Drogheda as they haven't made the right sort of signings to make up 24 points. Fahey is class but him aside is there any other players who would make the team for the top three?

I agree about Europe and I we don't have the best record. I just want us to get through one round because anything else will be letting the league down.

ndrog
12/03/2006, 7:24 PM
I don't think it is a big game TBH. Cork should beat Drogheda as they haven't made the right sort of signings to make up 24 points. Fahey is class but him aside is there any other players who would make the team for the top three?

I agree about Europe and I we don't have the best record. I just want us to get through one round because anything else will be letting the league down.

Well Tbh i think it is a big game.We played well against bohs the other nite and are getting better everey time we play.Gonna be a packed house , and we owe ccfc one for the setanta mess a coulple of weeks ago.Should be a cracker!

superfrank
12/03/2006, 7:28 PM
No real surprises except Shels dropping 2 points given they would have better fitness with Setanta Cup.
We played very and, imo, Shels were expecting a lot less from us.

EnDai
12/03/2006, 7:38 PM
Our central midfield duo certainly seemed to be unaware as to the fact that the Bray players might have known what a ball is! No hunger, and seemed shocked when you walked over us there.

pineapple stu
12/03/2006, 7:48 PM
I'm tipping Derry for the League this year. I really can't see why everyone is underestimating them, particularly after last season.
They badly need a new keeper. Forde is muck. Think he came out 13 times for through balls against us. Thing is, we only played three! Was rubbish on backpasses as well, sending one straight at one of our forwards and skewing another few straight into touch inside his own half. Apart from that, they've a very good squad and with players like McHugh and Beckett on the bench, they'll be well up there.

If we had a forward with any bit of pace, we'd have nicked a goal early on and the game would have been much different. Same old story for us really. But an improved performance from the last third of last season and I'd like to think we'll be lower-mid-table at worst (I'd say safe, but with tits like Delaney and Ollie Byrne around...:mad: )

sfc red
12/03/2006, 8:38 PM
. Crawford is past it

Proving you know nothing about Shels.

sfc red
12/03/2006, 8:39 PM

You played very very well. Zayed is absolute class.

Olander
12/03/2006, 8:56 PM
They badly need a new keeper. Forde is muck. everybody is entitled to there opinions but in my opinion that is rubbish, forde was one of the best goalkeepers last year and the stats say that what you said is rubbish

Risteard
12/03/2006, 10:23 PM
Proving you know nothing about Shels.

Fair enough but surely playing him and Greg together isn't the best option especially with Ndo, Moore and Stuey Byrne on the bench/in the stands.

Rochey
13/03/2006, 10:02 AM
don't think it is a big game TBH. Cork should beat Drogheda as they haven't made the right sort of signings to make up 24 points. Fahey is class but him aside is there any other players who would make the team for the top three?

Definitly a big game. Drogheda V cork have been cracking games in the past and both teams like to play the ball along the ground. Defensively both are very strong also so it will take a touch of class for a goal I'd say. Drogs will be there or there abouts this season so of course this is a big game for both teams!! Just because we finished fourth last year and 24 point gap doesnt mean that you can right us off even if we made no signings. We are playing better as a team and it will take a good team to beat us this year.

would agree that Cork have very good options in centre midfield so the lack of width may not affect them in the same way that it will Drogheda who IMO are lacking on the wings.

Dont think we are lacking on the wings either Fahey has been playing class on the wing for us and shane Robinson is always dangerous never mind keddy. You obviously havent seen much of drogheda play this year.

Maynard
13/03/2006, 10:26 AM
I wasn't at the game but seemed typical performance. Out of the blocks very quickly & after leading the game forced HF to push the game which they didn't really do. I would prefer Behan to Fenn in the league as gives more options. We are unlikely to win by many goals this season but have mean defense whioch is vital in the big games. We have no left sided midfielder but no team has exposes yet as 3 in central midfield is too strong.

Erm, considering you admit to not having seen the game I can't see how you can make this inaccurate statement. Story of the match was the first couple of minutes were even, neither side creating much up front. Cork got a dodgy peno (generally those are waved away) scored and played all the footabll for the next 15/20 minutes. DC got their heads up for the end of the half and it was back to being even by the break. Only one team came out in the second half. Robbie Collins had his one on one saved, Giller had two shots saved from just inside the area, lots of frees, corners, high balls that caused confusion in the Cark box but didn't fall to a Dublin player. Cark didn't muster a shot in anger until the 35th minute of the second half, fact. Cark did finish stronger during the 4 added minutes at the end of the game, but aside from the opening 20 odd minutes, we were certainly worth a point. Not that we'll get the credit for it, but that's immaterial.

Krstic
13/03/2006, 10:59 AM
They badly need a new keeper. Forde is muck. Think he came out 13 times for through balls against us. Thing is, we only played three! Was rubbish on backpasses as well, sending one straight at one of our forwards and skewing another few straight into touch inside his own half. Apart from that, they've a very good squad and with players like McHugh and Beckett on the bench, they'll be well up there.

If we had a forward with any bit of pace, we'd have nicked a goal early on and the game would have been much different. Same old story for us really. But an improved performance from the last third of last season and I'd like to think we'll be lower-mid-table at worst (I'd say safe, but with tits like Delaney and Ollie Byrne around...:mad: )

Fair enough Stu, Forde didn't look comfortable on Friday night, but to call him 'muck' because of one performance is a bit much.

Ceirtlis
13/03/2006, 11:32 AM
i support galway united and i always thought that forde was a dodgy keeper when he was with us even though he used to be talked up at the time. i nearly had a heart attack when i heard west ham paid money for him. he was alrite last season tho

pineapple stu
13/03/2006, 12:55 PM
Fair enough Stu, Forde didn't look comfortable on Friday night, but to call him 'muck' because of one performance is a bit much.
He was muck in the League Cup Final - backpasses were poor, he let a cross through his hands and gifted us our goal. He was muck when we lost 3-0 up in Derry - about the only shot we had all game he caught, rolled over and dropped over the line for a corner. He was muck in the Setanta against Linfield by all accounts (didn't see the game, but heard he gifted Linfield their goal and nearly another). In fact, I've never seen him play a decent game. That's what I'm basing my opinion on.

JW.
13/03/2006, 2:52 PM
We were a bit disappointing in Monaghan, even though we really should have won the game. Alan Murphy looked a bit lethargic, which was very disappointing.
Division 1 seems very competitive. I was surprised that Rovers beat Dundalk. We're playing both of them shortly, that should be interesting.
Not bad atmosphere in Monaghan and I thought they were useful enough. So, apparently, were Kilkenny in Cobh. And Athlone are making progress, so it looks as though the standard is higher than it has been for some time in Div 1.

Speranza
13/03/2006, 2:53 PM
Pineapple, you should ask Longford fans above his save in the league cup last year or Cork fans about his save in a goalmouth scramble at the Brandy. Both saves looked almost impossible and were world class.

Forde is a bit of a legend because of his ability to stop any shot but I agree he is certainly prone to errors as is Mick Devine (Harps away last year). I personally would give Jennings a run out as he has done nothing wrong and has shown loyalty by staying this season.

Krstic
13/03/2006, 3:03 PM
He was muck in the League Cup Final - backpasses were poor, he let a cross through his hands and gifted us our goal. He was muck when we lost 3-0 up in Derry - about the only shot we had all game he caught, rolled over and dropped over the line for a corner. He was muck in the Setanta against Linfield by all accounts (didn't see the game, but heard he gifted Linfield their goal and nearly another). In fact, I've never seen him play a decent game. That's what I'm basing my opinion on.

So you have seen him play in 3 games recently against your team, and he has let in one goal. And on that basis he was 'muck'

I was in Italy a few years back and saw Juventus V AC Milan, Roberto Baggio was pish in that game, I also saw him play for Inter against Chievo and he was pish then.

So by your logic, he was a pish player:rolleyes:

Poor Student
13/03/2006, 3:06 PM
So you have seen him play in 3 games recently against your team, and he has let in one goal. And on that basis he was 'muck'

I was in Italy a few years back and saw Juventus V AC Milan, Roberto Baggio was pish in that game, I also saw him play for Inter against Chievo and he was pish then.

You could add in the dropped goal against Linfield too. A few too many bloopers as a keeper for my liking.

WeAreRovers
13/03/2006, 3:09 PM
I was surprised that Rovers beat Dundalk.

Not being smart, but why?

I have to be honest i hadn't a clue what to expect on Friday night and I certainly haven't a notion about what to expect over the course of the season. One thing I will say is that our fitness will win us a lot of points, just like on Friday.

KOH

Roo69
13/03/2006, 3:26 PM
I think Shels have dropped 2 points because they always seem to beat Bray.

I've no doubt that Shels have good midfield players in Byrne, Ndo & Baker but Fenlon is too cautious to play them. Ndo would get into any team in the country but Fenlon won't start him in games - i don't buy the fitness excuse. Crawford is past it & Moore not good enough. O'Halloran can do a job alongside a creative player but limited otherwise.

I think will continue to struggle to score goals - 2 goals in 4 games so far.

Moore played quite well on Friday night i thought, used the ball pretty well but Crawford was pants, Foxy ran him ragged all night long.

Ndo should be the 1st name on Shels starting 11. I was standing close enough to a few Shels players who did'nt make the team or bench and they were saying that Joey should be starting more, they really rate him.

Hawkins and Dillion looks like they could form a really good partnership at the back, but lost out on quite a few headers to Doyle. They also give away a lot of free kicks.

pineapple stu
13/03/2006, 4:42 PM

The difference - rather obvious, I would have thought - is that that's about all the times I've seen him and he was muck every time (four times, not the three you mention. I could add in the Cup game between Derry and Rovers last year, when he was again hesitant in the extreme at coming off his line, as I recall). I would imagine you've seen Baggio at other times and he's been good.

I'm sure Forde must have some redeeming qualities - i.e. good shot stopper. But overall, he's far too dodgy a keeper for a team who are supposed to be challenging for the title this season. And for what it's worth, Derry fans I was talking to on Friday night agreed.

JW.
13/03/2006, 4:42 PM
Not being smart, but why?

I have to be honest i hadn't a clue what to expect on Friday night and I certainly haven't a notion about what to expect over the course of the season. One thing I will say is that our fitness will win us a lot of points, just like on Friday.

KOH
I saw ye against UCD and my suspicions that ye would need a good bit of time to gel this season seemed to be proved correct. Didn't think there was much at all in it between Rovers and Dundalk in terms of quality of players on paper anyway.
I don't think Rovers are certainties to go up by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a good start all the same.

WeAreRovers
13/03/2006, 4:49 PM
I saw ye against UCD

That was enough to answer my question. I was assuming that you hadn't seen us yet.

KOH

Schumi
13/03/2006, 5:16 PM
I saw ye against UCD
My condolences JW!

Krstic
13/03/2006, 5:35 PM
the times I've seen him and he was muck every time (four times, not the three you mention. .

It was you who mentioned the 3 times, the weekend past, the league cup final and a 3-0 defeat.

pineapple stu
13/03/2006, 9:30 PM
And the Setanta game (though technically, you're right in that I didn't see that one...)

CollegeTillIDie
14/03/2006, 7:13 AM
Well Dean Delaney is muck and Steve Williams is a better keeper I think this seasons two Setanta Cup games shown live on TV have proved that point. Not to mention Friday night's clanger V Bray!