PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Problem with the Site or is my internet connection

Block G Raptor
10/03/2006, 10:29 AM
Hi, Ive noticed a couple of glitches over the last two days
1. Site was running very slowly y-day all other sites were grand
2. couple of times today when changing screen(ie next page on thread or opening private message) I've got the "Page cannot be displayed" error it ok if i click back and retry

Risteard
10/03/2006, 1:13 PM
No problems for me.
Although the City site and forum was having strange glitches.
I'm not suggesting owt but i wouldn't put anything past that Ollie Byrne fella.:)
More Shels corruption?

Block G Raptor
10/03/2006, 1:31 PM
The Proxy server here was about to Die when I posted this. had to bring it back up. just like me to blame the site instead of doing my job

max power
10/03/2006, 1:54 PM
I think you'll find its spelled poxy;) :D

Block G Raptor
10/03/2006, 1:56 PM
I think you'll find its spelled poxy;) :D

Shows what u know about IT :D
do you know what a Proxy server is ?
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/proxy_server.html

dahamsta
10/03/2006, 2:30 PM
I think you'll find max was taking the píss.

Block G Raptor
10/03/2006, 2:33 PM
I think you'll find max was taking the píss.
I'll Think You'll find so was I.
P.S. Adam did you have a chance to have a look at my other query in this forum? Cheers

gustavo
10/03/2006, 3:20 PM
its running v slow for me too:(

hamish
10/03/2006, 3:32 PM
What's a proxy server??:confused: :o I've read that term here a few times.

Is it worth while even considering explaining it to me without bursting into tears of frustration??:)

strangeirish
10/03/2006, 3:36 PM
What's a proxy server?: :o I've read that term here a few times.
Is it worth while even considering explaining it to me without bursting into tears of frustration??:)

A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server. :D

hamish
10/03/2006, 3:43 PM
A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server.

It's what now?:confused:

My godson often explains things in parables or metaphors to give me some idea what a thing is in computers, For example, for spyware he mentioned the scene in alien when the bloke gets infected and the alien sneaks through his system unnoticed until it eventually pops out through his stomach.
So, spyware bad.
I'm afraid the technicalities just make my eyes glaze over.:o :)

strangeirish
10/03/2006, 3:45 PM
It's what now?:confused:

A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server.:D :D

hamish
10/03/2006, 3:46 PM
A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server.

Could you make a metaphor out of that please and stop actin' the maggot.:p :D

strangeirish
10/03/2006, 3:47 PM
Could you make a metaphor out of that please and stop actin' the maggot.:p :D

Consider the case where both user X and user Y access the World Wide Web through a proxy server. First user X requests a certain Web page, which we'll call Page 1. Sometime later, user Y requests the same page. Instead of forwarding the request to the Web server where Page 1 resides, which can be a time-consuming operation, the proxy server simply returns the Page 1 that it already fetched for user X. Since the proxy server is often on the same network as the user, this is a much faster operation. :eek:

hamish
10/03/2006, 3:53 PM
Consider the case where both user X and user Y access the World Wide Web through a proxy server. First user X requests a certain Web page, which we'll call Page 1. Sometime later, user Y requests the same page. Instead of forwarding the request to the Web server where Page 1 resides, which can be a time-consuming operation, the proxy server simply returns the Page 1 that it already fetched for user X. Since the proxy server is often on the same network as the user, this is a much faster operation. :eek:

Sorry OSO - I haven't a fcukin' clue what your talkin' about but thanks for trying.:confused:

dahamsta
10/03/2006, 7:17 PM
There's no really effective metaphor hamish. Try this:

When you go to a website, your computer has to fetch the page so you can see it, right? If the page is far away*, it's going to take longer to download, right? So we set up another server (computer), closer to home, in between you and the website. Now when you request a page, we make a copy of it on the way to you, and the next time you come back we deliver that to you instead, to save you having to trip to the older one again. And we can deliver it to other people that request it to.

Any good?

adam

* Oversimplification, but I'm not explaining network congestion to hamish!

dahamsta
10/03/2006, 7:18 PM
I'll Think You'll find so was I.Errah yeah boy. :)

did you have a chance to have a look at my other query in this forum?I'll take a look.

hamish
10/03/2006, 7:27 PM
There's no really effective metaphor hamish. Try this:

When you go to a website, your computer has to fetch the page so you can see it, right? If the page is far away*, it's going to take longer to download, right? So we set up another server (computer), closer to home, in between you and the website. Now when you request a page, we make a copy of it on the way to you, and the next time you come back we deliver that to you instead, to save you having to trip to the older one again. And we can deliver it to other people that request it to.

Any good?

adam

* Oversimplification, but I'm not explaining network congestion to hamish!

I.......eh......kinda get the gist of it. Thanks for trying but you know by now, I'm a lost cause.:o

I appreciate your sterling efforts to try and explain to "The Dense One"

strangeirish
10/03/2006, 7:42 PM
Adam, let me try again. I'm going to borrow some of your stuff. Here we go 'hamish.....

When you go to a brothel, your computer has to fetch the hooker so you can see her, right? If the hooker is far away*, it's going to take longer to get her, right? So we set up another hooker (blowup doll), closer to home, in between you and where the hooker is. Now when you request a hooker, we make a copy of it on the way to you, in the form of a blow up doll and the next time you come back we deliver that to you instead, to save you having to trip to the one that's farthest away again. And we can deliver it to other people that request it to.

Now, that should cover it for you:D :D

hamish
10/03/2006, 7:45 PM
Adam, let me try again. I'm going to borrow some of your stuff. Here we go 'hamish.....

When you go to a brothel, your computer has to fetch the hooker so you can see her, right? If the hooker is far away*, it's going to take longer to get her, right? So we set up another hooker (blowup doll), closer to home, in between you and where the hooker is. Now when you request a hooker, we make a copy of it on the way to you, in the form of a blow up doll and the next time you come back we deliver that to you instead, to save you having to trip to the one that's farthest away again. And we can deliver it to other people that request it to.

Now, that should cover it for you:

Fcuk computers - what's the name of the hooker and how much?:)

Block G Raptor
11/03/2006, 12:57 AM
This is the most P!ss Funny , Hilarious Thread I've Read on Foot
Iam Seriously P!$$ing myself typing this ...........................and its in the fcukin Support forum Go Figure

Hamhish what is described above is one function of a proxy Server. In Buisness there is a much more Productive Feature....Internet security and censorship.
Think of a proxy server as the Metal detector at the airport,ok now lets call the internet Country 1 and lets call your Machine Country 2.the web page you are accessing is the tourist.

So in order for the tourist to get from country 1 to country 2 he must pass through Airport security where he will be scanned for concealled weapons or contagous diseases.then his name is checked against a list of people not allowed in country 2 if he's on the list he is refused entry to country 2

drinkfeckarse
11/03/2006, 7:45 AM
Comedy lads, gave me a laugh at work on a Saturday morning :)

Gareth
11/03/2006, 4:33 PM
I know all about computers and I read this thread without even a small smirk. I must either be losing my nerdiness or this thread isnt as funny as stated :)

hamish
11/03/2006, 4:39 PM
This is the most P!ss Funny , Hilarious Thread I've Read on Foot
Iam Seriously P!$$ing myself typing this ...........................and its in the fcukin Support forum Go Figure

Hamhish what is described above is one function of a proxy Server. In Buisness there is a much more Productive Feature....Internet security and censorship.
Think of a proxy server as the Metal detector at the airport,ok now lets call the internet Country 1 and lets call your Machine Country 2.the web page you are accessing is the tourist.

So in order for the tourist to get from country 1 to country 2 he must pass through Airport security where he will be scanned for concealled weapons or contagous diseases.then his name is checked against a list of people not allowed in country 2 if he's on the list he is refused entry to country 2

Wha??

:confused:

Sorry BGR and other Footie amigos - I'm just hopeless when it comes to computers - an absolute disaster area and while I really appreciate all your efforts, please stop driving yerselves mad trying to help.

As I said in one of my first ever posts on Footie, we're talking monkey at the controls of a 747 here in Hamishland:(

dahamsta
11/03/2006, 4:49 PM
Is there an Infinite Hamish Theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Monkey_Theorem)?

hamish
11/03/2006, 4:51 PM
Is there an Infinite Hamish Theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Monkey_Theorem)?

Probably LOL:D

John83
14/03/2006, 4:17 PM
How's this: If you want to look up a quote in a book, you might go to the library, but you're talking with the librarian, looking for help finding the book and it turns out that (s)he remembers the quote offhand, saving you the trouble of getting the book. The librarian's the proxy server here.

I think I prefer the hooker analogy though.

hamish
14/03/2006, 4:29 PM
How's this: If you want to look up a quote in a book, you might go to the library, but you're talking with the librarian, looking for help finding the book and it turns out that (s)he remembers the quote offhand, saving you the trouble of getting the book. The librarian's the proxy server here.

I think I prefer the hooker analogy though.

Cheers John83, good explanation, but I still can't relate that to the computer thingy - doomed to a life of ignorance and stupidity I guess.:D

dahamsta
14/03/2006, 4:44 PM
How's this: If you want to look up a quote in a book, you might go to the library, but you're talking with the librarian, looking for help finding the book and it turns out that (s)he remembers the quote offhand, saving you the trouble of getting the book. The librarian's the proxy server here.That's the kiddy, well done.

hamish
14/03/2006, 5:02 PM
Does the librarian look like this???

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stockingstore.com/ProductImages/EE130C.350X200.G.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.stockingstore.com/browseproducts/-Sexy-Librarian--LA8960C.HTML&h=350&w=200&sz=26&tbnid=eDN11yTtf3hVcM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=66&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsexy%2Blibrarian%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

I might understand the metaphor then.:)

Block G Raptor
14/03/2006, 7:05 PM
Hamish you are beyond redemption

hamish
14/03/2006, 7:24 PM
Hamish you are beyond redemption

Sadly true BGR, sadly true.:)