PDA

View Full Version : UEFA U19 Final's DRAW - Ireland drawn in Group 2

James
30/05/2002, 7:17 PM
ok from uefa the draw for the U19 championship finals to be played in Norway in July 2002

Group 1
Norway (hosts)
Slovakia
Spain
Czech Republic

Group 2
England
Germany
Belgium
Ireland

fixtures to follow...

James
30/05/2002, 7:32 PM
fixtures from uefa.com site (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/Under19/News/Kind=1/newsId=24927.html)

Ireland Fixtures

22 July B: Belgium v Rep. of Ireland - 18.00 Drammen
24 July B: Germany v Rep. of Ireland - 18.00 Moss
26 July B: Rep. of Ireland v England - 18.00 Hønefoss

MikeW
30/05/2002, 7:40 PM
Top 3 in each group qualify for the under-20 World Cup I think. So all we have to do is avoid coming bottom and we're there. On the face of it, it looks like we've the tougher group, but its always hard to say who's any good at youth level.

James
30/05/2002, 7:52 PM
from uefa.com site on the U19 championships

Holders absent
The holders of the competition, Poland, who won the last Under-18 event last year, did not qualify for the finals. The side in the tournament to most recently lift the crown are Ireland, who overcame Germany on penalties in the Under-18 final in 1998.

Tournament dates
The tournament takes place between 21-28 July with the top side in each group qualifying for the final at the Ullevål on 28 July. The sides that finish second in each group will play off for third and fourth places.

Tomorrow the world
Teams finishing in the top three places in each group will qualify for the 12th FIFA World Youth Championship in the United Arab Emirates between 25 March and 16 April 2003.

James
30/05/2002, 7:54 PM
Norway hoping for success
Wednesday 29 May 2002

Liverpool FC and Norway's John Arne Riise and Norway Under-19 vice-captain Kristian Onstad believe that the hosts can go far in the UEFA European Under-19 Championship.

Turning to potential rivals later in the tournament, Onstad said: "England and Germany look strong in Group B, but then Republic of Ireland have beat both France and Netherlands as well." Onstad also revealed that it would be a dream to reach the final, which will be played at the Ullevål, home to his club. "I would like that very, very much," he said.

from uefa.com (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/Under19/News/Kind=1/newsId=24954.html)

James
18/06/2002, 4:33 PM
come on ireland 5 weeks to the start of this tournament.. tough draw for the kids though IMO

James
15/07/2002, 2:10 PM
! week till we start against belgium

i know everyone else is probably as if not even more excited about this then i am :)

come on ireland

James
22/07/2002, 2:25 PM
big match tonight .. of course it aint on rte, or even eurosport i think for that matter (as they are showing the eng germany game)

AH WELL

come on ireland

pete
22/07/2002, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by James
i know everyone else is probably as if not even more excited about this then i am.....

that would explain why you got 7 out of the 8 (now 9) posts in this thread. ;)

One win & i would presume Ireland get to the u-20 World Cup.

As i'm sure this costs the FAI a fair bit of money i'm sure the extra Sky money will help fund more underage competition for these teams ;)

Eventhough no eL players in this squad this time there usually would be a few which gives greater exposure to them outside the country.

SÓC
22/07/2002, 4:05 PM
If we did make it to the U-20 World Cup you'd expect Kerr to pick John O'Flynn (or Jofy as I heard someone call him) if he could keep up just some of the form he is showing now