PDA

View Full Version : RTE2: No Experience Required

razor
10/03/2006, 8:23 AM
Excellent show on RTE2, last night was the third week. 6 hopefuls of getting a job in a particular business, narrowed to 3 after interviews then to 2 after some work experience and then comes a job offer for 1.
Paddy Powers last night for a job as a Sports Trader.

Peadar
10/03/2006, 8:31 AM
Did anyone seen Johnny Ward and Julian Canny bidding to become a Sports Trader on No Experience Required (http://www.rte.ie/tv/noexperiencerequired/)last night?

Interesting to see behind the scenes at Paddy Power.
Glad Johnny Ward didn't win after all the dodgy tips he gave on eircomleague.net :D

Julian Canny, referee and sports trader. Very interesting. ;)

Macy
10/03/2006, 8:38 AM
Interesting to see behind the scenes at Paddy Power.
Glad Johnny Ward didn't win after all the dodgy tips he gave on eircomleague.net

Julian Canny, referee and sports trader. Very interesting.
Are beards back in in Galway or what? Or rather Galway, and nearer Athlone. :D

Good to see JC win, and it be the happiest day since a bet came in for him on Italian Football when he was in Croke Park :confused: :D

Peadar
10/03/2006, 8:40 AM
...and it be the happiest day since a bet came in for him on Italian Football when he was in Croke Park :confused: :D

Hope he wasn't backing Galway in Croke Park.
At least there's one less cowboy in AIB now. :D

pete
10/03/2006, 9:20 AM
Seen the last 30mins. Not too difficult to spot the 2 eL fans.

Jeez what was Johnny Ward thinking about with his "FAI Cup final crowd attendance bet..." :eek:

Will PP odds be more accurate this season? Live betting? :)

pete
10/03/2006, 9:23 AM
threads merged

Terry
10/03/2006, 9:28 AM
PP should be giving good odds on GUFC from now on!:D

pete
10/03/2006, 9:31 AM
Julian Canny, referee and sports trader. Very interesting. ;)

Should be able to predict results fairly accurately. ;)

Macy
10/03/2006, 9:36 AM
Hope he wasn't backing Galway in Croke Park.

Well I remember JW used to carry round a GAA bag even when he was running the site.... :D

Peadar
10/03/2006, 10:14 AM
Well I remember JW used to carry round a GAA bag even when he was running the site.... :D

Probably has a Racing Post bag now. :D

Macy
10/03/2006, 10:41 AM
Well it'd hardly be a gillette one from either of the Galway lads. :D

Peadar
10/03/2006, 10:45 AM
It was a bit like a love story, "Julian and Johnny met 9 years ago at a Galway Utd. match and have been friends ever since." :D

Can't believe Niamh didn't get a mention for having to put up with the two of them. :D

James
10/03/2006, 12:12 PM
v good show last night i thought, thought JC has lost it there in the end though when he lost 30odd k on the live game.

Soko
10/03/2006, 12:52 PM
It was a good show, I thought the final 6 guys would be better though. It was obvious some of them didn't have a clue and weren't natural gambelrs at all.

When they came into the room and gave interviews I was cringing for that Ian fella. He didn't have a notion how to price to things up and how to lay off your bets yet he made it to the final 2. I ended up just being ****ed off I never heard about the auditions. The fact none of them spotted the 5 inflated prices says it all really.

James
10/03/2006, 12:56 PM
in fairness Soko, from what I know of JC & JW both are committed gamblers. Exams or college didnt even get in the way of them like. Anyway didnt JC spot one of the 5 inflatede bets! The 0-0 at half time i think it was.
And that Ian guy becked one of them too but wasnt able to explain why he backed it other then a hunce type reason, not because the odds were out.

didnt realise the live betting generated so much turnover / bets etc
asleep for 5mins in that job and u cud be well screwed like

niamh
10/03/2006, 12:57 PM
It was a bit like a love story, "Julian and Johnny met 9 years ago at a Galway Utd. match and have been friends ever since." :D

Can't believe Niamh didn't get a mention for having to put up with the two of them. :D

One of the more interesting houses i shared in alright. JC no longer refs afaik.

Soko
10/03/2006, 1:14 PM
in fairness Soko, from what I know of JC & JW both are committed gamblers. Exams or college didnt even get in the way of them like. Anyway didnt JC spot one of the 5 inflatede bets! The 0-0 at half time i think it was.
And that Ian guy becked one of them too but wasnt able to explain why he backed it other then a hunce type reason, not because the odds were out.

didnt realise the live betting generated so much turnover / bets etc
asleep for 5mins in that job and u cud be well screwed like

I dont doubt that they are it just didn't come across as well from the programme. Obviuosly I think that too because I would have played the money far differntly from their strategies. JC couldn't explain the inflated price either but we aren't told how inflated they were so I suppose thats being a bit harsh.

Given €1000 euro to gamble on Liverpool-West Ham you have to have at least half that on Liverpool to win. From there you can try cover I suppose and with the €500 at half time you shouldn't lose money from that sutuation unless things go completely pair shaped. Lucky ******* is a PP trader now though. Whatever about wages its the fact you are gambling 24/7 is where you'll make a fortune.

pete
10/03/2006, 1:18 PM
asleep for 5mins in that job and u cud be well screwed like...

That rules out a lot of people on foot.ie so...

niamh
10/03/2006, 1:45 PM
I dont doubt that they are it just didn't come across as well from the programme. Obviuosly I think that too because I would have played the money far differntly from their strategies. JC couldn't explain the inflated price either but we aren't told how inflated they were so I suppose thats being a bit harsh.

Given €1000 euro to gamble on Liverpool-West Ham you have to have at least half that on Liverpool to win. From there you can try cover I suppose and with the €500 at half time you shouldn't lose money from that sutuation unless things go completely pair shaped. Lucky ******* is a PP trader now though. Whatever about wages its the fact you are gambling 24/7 is where you'll make a fortune.

Always easier in hindsight.

Peadar
10/03/2006, 2:39 PM
Always easier in hindsight.

Exactly Niamh, we don't know what the circumstances were at the time.

Soko
10/03/2006, 2:52 PM
Exactly Niamh, we don't know what the circumstances were at the time.

The circumstances were Liverpool were playing West Ham at home. When it came on I said it to my friend they have to have at half that on the 'Pool to cover themselves, dont go for glory with some poxy goal no goal before half time bet. There's no way he'd have done that with his own money.

Peadar
10/03/2006, 3:28 PM
There's no way he'd have done that with his own money.

When you're thinking, 'what does PP want me to do?' you probably aren't going to act as you normally would.

Soko
10/03/2006, 4:04 PM
When you're thinking, 'what does PP want me to do?' you probably aren't going to act as you normally would.

But thats the point I'm trying to make - they are in the business of making money and so should you be with your own cash. The smart move is take Liverpool for a big amount and you can maneuver from there. The bet will be alive untill the end but a bet for first goal scorer, 0-0 FT etc... could be dead after 5 mins. They try to avoid liabilty and taking those sort of bets atrracts liabilty. It just seemed like they were playing a little bit with monoploy money on that task.

I'd have liked to have heard how they priced the games up and the comparisons. Obviously Julian seemed pretty much on the mark and he was always going to win if he got that right.

pete
10/03/2006, 5:03 PM
Judging someone purely on how much cash they made would be flawed as could be lucky. I believe this is why they looked at the logic & not the result.