View Full Version : Preview of first division

KildareFan
08/03/2006, 4:21 PM
Decent preview of the first division here. I think the premier will up tomorrow

http://www.soccerscene.ie/p490.html

Block G Raptor
09/03/2006, 10:49 AM
Just looking at rovers transfers in mostly Killkenny and kildare players
now correct me if I'm wrong but weren't killkenny and killdare also rans in the first last year. so what makes Scully think that these donkeys will all of a sudden become stars as soon as they pull on hooped shirts.Me thinks rovers could be staying just where they are for sometime unless Delany digs them out on Non-Football Criteria

LFC in Exile
09/03/2006, 11:11 AM
now correct me if I'm wrong but weren't killkenny and killdare also rans in the first last year. so what makes Scully think that these donkeys will all of a sudden become stars as soon as they pull on hooped shirts.Me thinks rovers could be staying just where they are for sometime unless Delany digs them out on Non-Football Criteria

In fairness he has picked up the better quality players from these clubs, he left the donkeys behind.... Kilkenny finished fourth last season after a dreadful start, thanks in large part to Scully running a very well organised side.

I think it will be between Rovers, Limerick, Dundalk and Cobh myself. :ball:

paudie
09/03/2006, 11:29 AM
Willie Bruton could be a crucial signing for Cobh.

He had a decent scoring record in the Premier for Waterford and could help Cobh to go at least one better than last year.

Roo69
09/03/2006, 11:29 AM
Kildare looked useful when we played them on Sunday. Big strong team who passed the ball well.

Magicme
09/03/2006, 12:16 PM
Kildare looked useful when we played them on Sunday. Big strong team who passed the ball well.

Was Ian Malone playing? He is a fantastic young lad, just a pity we couldnt hang on to him at Mons. Also what bout John Rocco Reilly was he playing??

Lim till i die
09/03/2006, 1:52 PM
YOu know if you looking at which Club has bought in the best Players there is a solid case to made For Limerick being that Club IMO !

Indeed, unfortunately its about how we use tham :o

Think sixth is a bit harsh in the preview, I for one will be rightly pi$$ed off if we finish there :eek:

Conor H
09/03/2006, 3:47 PM
In fairness he has picked up the better quality players from these clubs, he left the donkeys behind.... Kilkenny finished fourth last season after a dreadful start, thanks in large part to Scully running a very well organised side.

I think it will be between Rovers, Limerick, Dundalk and Cobh myself. :ball:
In the battle for second place.;)

Red4Eva
09/03/2006, 3:50 PM
....weren't killkenny and killdare also rans in the first....[/I]

kilkenny were the best team apart from ourselves in 1st last year. if it wasn't for a poor start they would have provided a far better challenge than cobh or keely did. i would consider myself to know the 1st pretty well after the past 6 years&scully's made some great signings&he defo knows what he's doin

joema
09/03/2006, 5:59 PM
Kilkenny certainly were not also rans last season.
Scully is a great manager who has bought some excellent players from kk - Purcell, Duffy and Price.
Price is a brilliant player and is easilly good enough for el premier and championship in england. He will be player of the year for the first division next year - you can quote me on that

My prediction - Rovers - first
Galway - second

Kildare Lad
09/03/2006, 6:17 PM
Was Ian Malone playing? He is a fantastic young lad, just a pity we couldnt hang on to him at Mons. Also what bout John Rocco Reilly was he playing??

I wasnt at this match, but so far in preseason Malone has looked fairly good, Reilly hasnt stood out though.....

hoopy
09/03/2006, 7:16 PM

The fascination continues;)

finlma
10/03/2006, 8:01 AM
now correct me if I'm wrong but weren't killkenny and killdare also rans in the first last year

You're wrong. If Kilkenny didn't have such a poor start to the season we would have been promoted. We won 12 out of 13 games at one stage.
I was speaking to our chairman and finances aren't great but they seem happy with the young lads that have come in. I don't think we'll come last and thats probably the goal for this season.

Rovers will win the league by at least 10 points. The players Scully took from us are good players.

LFC in Exile
10/03/2006, 8:17 AM
Rovers will win the league by at least 10 points.

Definitely don't agree with that.

I am also smiling (as I am every season) at Galway's confidence. I can't see what its based on. Murphy really is the only difference to last season. And he's not as brilliant as Galway lads think he is. Cretaro was a good signing but I can't see how - in a division which has become even tougher this year with Harps and Rovers and Limerick and Cobh signing good quality premier standard players Galway can be so confident.

Then again they do this every year so I suppose it's teh only time to get to be happy about anything. :ball:

Mr_T
10/03/2006, 9:38 AM
Then again they do this every year so I suppose it's teh only time to get to be happy about anything. :ball:

LOL, thanks for that, made me laugh on a stressful morning, post of the month contender maybe?

Olander
10/03/2006, 9:43 AM
The players Scully took from us are good players.agree with what your saying, but they signed about 20 players, whereas we only signed 6 i think, they will need more time to gel

Sheridan
10/03/2006, 9:56 AM
agree with what your saying, but they signed about 20 players, whereas we only signed 6 i think, they will need more time to gel It might expedite the process if they installed some additional dressing room mirrors or a huge, communal vat of Brylcreem.

monutdfc
10/03/2006, 10:26 AM
Any one of six teams could win it:
Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers, Finn Harps, Limerick, Cobh Ramblers or Galway.
I too fail to understand Galway United fans' level of confidence: they've added Murphy who is a superb player and a few decent Division 1 players to a squad which looked very ordinary when I saw them last season. So they'll improve, they might win it, but they're far from certs.
Dundalk - Gill has a ssembled a strong, experienced squad, and they have the plastic pitch possible advantage.
Finn Harps - have kept most of their premier division squad together, that will be a big factor moving down a level.
Shamrock Rovers - Scully has made some very good signings. But every team will raise their game when Rovers come to town (cf Nottingham Forest in League 1).
Cobh Ramblers - the return of Bruton and Yelverton to a squad which just missed out last season means they will definitely be contenders.
Limerick - some quality signings. But I wonder if their manager will get the best out of them with an appropriate style of play.

Of the rest, Kildare county are the biggest unknown quantity with some impressive pre-season results, but any of Kildare, Monaghan, Athlone or Kilkenny could win against the "Big 6" on a given day.

With 6 sides all having realistic hopes of competing at the top, expect to see some managerial changes by the summer as all 6 obviously cannot be in the top 3!

Olander
10/03/2006, 11:24 AM
some decent first division players? cretaro a quality premier division class player and lavine and murphy then gavin and foley they are quality signings in my opinion. we have reason to be confident

LFC in Exile
10/03/2006, 1:24 PM
some decent first division players? cretaro a quality premier division class player and lavine and murphy then gavin and foley they are quality signings in my opinion. we have reason to be confident

As in ex-Limerick Ciaran Foley? Spare me. he wouldn't get within an asses roar of our side this year. :rolleyes:

garykelly
10/03/2006, 1:57 PM
yeah the first division is seriously competitive this year. prob go down to the last day to sort it all out.

I think(in no order) Shamrock Rovers, Dundalk, Finn Harps, Limerick and Galway will all do well. Kilkenny city, kildare et al probably wont do so well. Kilkenny will probably fade this season, but there were very good last year. something tell me cobh & finn harps will be the dissapointments of the first division season.

In fairness to galway, i dont see them as being over confident or anything. they been progressively building both on and off the pitch in recent years and their finishing in the promotion places would be a natural progression as opposed to a surprise.

my table would be

Shamrock Rovers
Galway United
Dundalk
Limerick
Finn Harps
Cobh Ramblers
Athlone Town
Kilkenny City
Kildare County
Monaghan

JC_GUFC
10/03/2006, 2:54 PM
Definitely don't agree with that.

I am also smiling (as I am every season) at Galway's confidence. I can't see what its based on. Murphy really is the only difference to last season. And he's not as brilliant as Galway lads think he is. Cretaro was a good signing but I can't see how - in a division which has become even tougher this year with Harps and Rovers and Limerick and Cobh signing good quality premier standard players Galway can be so confident.

Ouch the truth hurts!

In fairness I don't think too many United fans were this confident last season! United were the form team in the league at the end of last season and came very close to nabbing the playoff spot. The signings we've made have strengthened the squad which was our main problem last season.
We're by no means certainties but we've got our best chance in years. I'm really looking forward to this season though because it looks like it will be the best First Division ever!

Dundalk, Cobh & Limerick (as well as United) all have better teams/squads than last year and Harps and Rovers will definitely be there or thereabouts. Kilkenny went on a fantastic run admittedly and would have won the league on their form in the second half of the season so presumably Rovers are going to be strong but every team will be up for playing Rovers so it could prove to be tougher for them.

Anyway best of luck to all teams, hopefully the crowds will also improve along with the standards!

J

Kildare Lad
10/03/2006, 5:48 PM
I think We could be the dark horses this season, Im not saying we will win the league or anything but we could be up in the top 5