PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid to Manchester United?

youngirish
08/03/2006, 12:26 PM
This is from Sky Sports website:

Blackburn Rovers have warned Manchester United off a potential bid for midfielder Steven Reid.

The Republic of Ireland international has emerged as a shock target for Reds manager Sir Alex Ferguson who is desperate to reinvigorate an ailing midfield.

The all-action Reid could fit the bill for United but Rovers chairman John Williams is determined to fend off any advance from the Old Trafford club.

Despite speculation linking the player with a £6 million move to United this summer, Williams insists Rovers would be reluctant sellers as the East Lancashire outfit seek to retain their squad and continue the marked improvement under Mark Hughes.

"There has been no contact with Manchester United whatsoever in regard to Steven Reid and, as far as we are concerned, it's complete newspaper speculation," confirmed Williams.

"Steven is an important member of our squad and he's a player we want to keep here."

Reid, signed by former manager Graeme Souness, has only recently begun to make his mark at Rovers after injury blighted his debut season at Ewood Park.

The £1.75 million signing highlighted the improvement in his game by putting in a fine performance in Rovers' unfortunate 3-2 defeat to Tottenham on Sunday.

Personally I'd rather he stay where he is as he's only just cemented his place in the Blackburn side. The last thing Ireland need is him sitting on the bench for United.

drinkfeckarse
08/03/2006, 12:54 PM
There's probably nothing in it but he would be well advised to stay where he is. He is only now starting to realise his undoubted potential and would learn more continuing to play every week...for the time being anyway.

elroy
08/03/2006, 12:54 PM
Not so sure about this story, there seems to be alot of speculation in the papers at the moment at Blackburn players. If he did move to United I think he would be the best central midfielder they have, little or no competition for the places at the moment. Giggs and O'Shea who started the other night both are not good enough in the position.

The Legend
08/03/2006, 6:29 PM
Reid's getting better, but man there must be a real shortage of midfielders if United are looking to him to solve their problems!

Fergie's Son
08/03/2006, 6:36 PM
If he did go to United I would be worried that he would warm the bench. United will bring a big money midfielder in during the summer.

Dodge
08/03/2006, 10:07 PM
Nowhere near good enough for Man Utd. No pace. Decent premiership midfielder and could do a job for Ireland but at the level Utd want to be, he'd be lost

soccerc
08/03/2006, 10:36 PM
Well considering they watched him carefully while at Millwall and were in the running for his signature before Blackburn nabbed him I wouldn't be surprised.
Reid has buckets of talent and skill that just needs to be harnessed while he himself will need a long period injury free to fully develop as a leader on the pitch.

livehead1
09/03/2006, 8:58 AM
Nowhere near good enough for Man Utd. No pace. Decent premiership midfielder and could do a job for Ireland but at the level Utd want to be, he'd be lost

whhhhhhatttt!! Reids running is one of his main attributes, he is a strong, fast runner!

klein4
09/03/2006, 9:02 AM
I think reid is a good player and can only get better for ireland but if he went to man u it would be career over for him. they are a mess at the mo and he is nowhere near the standard of player that they need. they go looking for ballack and get reid? come on? he is better off at blackburn for a couple a years yet..

skbio_toronto
09/03/2006, 9:23 AM

No pace! No offence man, but do you actually watch football?

I'd agree from an Irish perspective that Reid is much better off progressing his career where he is. This is the first season where he has played consistently free of niggling injuries. And in fairness, his game has come on a ton as a result.

Dodge
09/03/2006, 9:25 AM
whhhhhhatttt!! Reids running is one of his main attributes, he is a strong, fast runner!
Not doubting his strength or his engine but he hasn't got a burst of pace that would make him a top class player for a club like Man u

Armando
09/03/2006, 10:29 AM
Not doubting his strength or his engine but he hasn't got a burst of pace that would make him a top class player for a club like Man u

This 'burst of pace' that would make him a top class player at Utd - did Roy Keane have it?

NeilMcD
09/03/2006, 10:32 AM
When someone says no pace it usually means they are slow. I think you choice of words was either a incorrect or b you are digging yourself out of a hole. Reid does haave the pace of a winger but he is a very fast and athletic guy for central midfield. Just watch last weeks game against Sweden and the amount of times he tracked back for a break away and caughty up with the player.

Saying that I dont think it would be a good move for either him or Man Utd.

Pablo
09/03/2006, 10:38 AM
if he moves to Man U then an England call up isn't too far away?

eirebhoy
09/03/2006, 10:45 AM
Stop trying to stir things up Pablo. Reid was playing for the Ireland U21s at the age of 19. At the time he looked like a player with fantastic ability and enormous potential so if he had any great affinity with England he would have chose them.

livehead1
09/03/2006, 10:53 AM

yeh surely he must be getting a call up, a jamaican born, irish international :rolleyes:

as_i_say
09/03/2006, 11:23 AM
born in london, 2 irish grandparents

as_i_say
09/03/2006, 11:25 AM
according to his bio at wikipedia.org he played for england at junior levels but that site cant be trusted 100% as the material can be submitted by randomers afaik

paul_oshea
09/03/2006, 11:44 AM
yes it can randomers who are members though, thats why its a crap website.

joema
09/03/2006, 12:01 PM
He was born in Kingston London - Im positive of that

OwlsFan
09/03/2006, 12:41 PM

Are you his mother :eek: ?

NeilMcD
09/03/2006, 12:45 PM
Owls fan just looking at your signature there. The logic of that does not stand up.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail does not mean if you prepare well you will always succeed but you are giving yourself a good chance of succeeding.

Fail to prepare prepare to fail is saying that if you dont prepare you have a very good chance of failing. Now I am presuming you mean that Brian kerr prepared and then he failed But it could be argued that he did not prepare as team spiriti is part of preparation and that was not part of the team so that is why we failed.

klein4
09/03/2006, 12:55 PM
Your not havin a good day today Neil!!!!
its obviously just a dig at roy keane cause owls fan is still bitter over saipan.

OwlsFan
09/03/2006, 12:56 PM
This is a thread on Reid so I won't respond to that. I was just showing up someone's cliche for what it was - just a cliche.

NeilMcD
09/03/2006, 1:05 PM
Having a great day, off for the weekend on a stag in a few hours so in great form. Thanks for asking.

livehead1
09/03/2006, 1:12 PM

from his profile on skysports.com

Born : Kingston, Jamaica (represents Ireland)

gustavo
09/03/2006, 1:26 PM
ah well if Sky Sports said it , it must be true:)

livehead1
09/03/2006, 1:28 PM
ah well if Sky Sports said it , it must be true:)

its a place to get information, usually well reported information. its one of the best football websites on the net, so i suppose it is quite a good place to refer to.

Dodge
09/03/2006, 1:43 PM
He was born in England and represented England Schools. Huge difference

as_i_say
09/03/2006, 1:45 PM
huge difference between what?

eirebhoy
09/03/2006, 1:56 PM
huge difference between what?
Playing for England at underage level and England Schools I presume. Giggs played for England schoolboys for example.

Dodge
09/03/2006, 2:02 PM
And Michael Owen played for Wales Schools. Its based on where your school is located, not your nationality

Tonymc
09/03/2006, 2:26 PM
Stephen Reid's father was born in galway.
TMc

lopez
09/03/2006, 3:26 PM
You're all wrong. He was born in Kingston upon Hull. :D

youngirish
09/03/2006, 4:37 PM
He was born in Kingstown, Co Dublin since changed to Dun Laoghaire since we booted the foreign invaders out.

tetsujin1979
10/03/2006, 11:38 PM
According to this: http://fanball.co.uk/pl/playerProfile.cfm?pid=19535 he was born in London.
His icons site - http://www.icons.com/reid/ - doesn't give his place of birth at all.

Superhoops
11/03/2006, 8:08 AM
Born Kingston upom Thames, Surrey. Guaranteed!

Fergie's Son
12/03/2006, 8:36 PM
O'Shea actually looked ok for United today. Passed the ball well and kept Parker out of the game. Once Bowyer came on though he was pushed around a little.

neutral
12/03/2006, 9:38 PM
steven reid is not at the standard utd should be looking for, having said that i dont think the current midfielders are what united should be aspiring to either, look at the quality of chelsea's midfield or even arsenals, they are on a higher level in comparison to Man U's midfield.....

eirebhoy
12/03/2006, 11:36 PM
O'Shea actually looked ok for United today. Passed the ball well and kept Parker out of the game. Once Bowyer came on though he was pushed around a little.
I watched MOTD2 and his play leading up to the 2nd goal was excellent.

Fergie's Son
12/03/2006, 11:43 PM

It certainly was but he drifted out of the game in the second half. He's just not a holding midfielder at all.

livehead1
13/03/2006, 11:09 AM
steven reid is not at the standard utd should be looking for, having said that i dont think the current midfielders are what united should be aspiring to either, look at the quality of chelsea's midfield or even arsenals, they are on a higher level in comparison to Man U's midfield.....
are we discussing the merits of various midfielders at premiership sides, or irish internationals here? :p

jbyrne
13/03/2006, 5:42 PM

he got into Irish Times team of the weekend