PDA

View Full Version : Predictions 2006

Pages : [1] 2

Red4Eva
07/03/2006, 11:31 PM
i know this was done already but a lot has changed squad-wise with ourselves and many others since then. also there was friendlies.

Premier:
1.shels
2.cork
3.drogs
4.derry
5.bohs
6.sligo rovers
7.ucd
8.bray
9.longford
10.pat's
11.dub city
12.waterford

Graveyard:
1.shams
2.limerick

Dr.Nightdub
07/03/2006, 11:55 PM
Can't see Drogheda overtaking Derry - if Doolin hasn't managed by now to knit that squad into a unit that is greater than the sum of its parts, he's never going to. Shels, Cork and Derry have a cohesiveness to them that Drogheda don't.

A slight weakening of Cork's squad could be their undoing this year, while Derry look that wee bit stronger than last season. Without the distractions of CL / UEFA, I can see Shels overtaking both of them.

1. Shels
2. Derry
3. Cork
4. Drogheda
5. Bohs
6 - 10 Pats, Bray, Longford, Sligo, UCD, in any order
11. CHF
12. Waterford

First Division:
Any two out of Rovers, Cobh, Galway and Limerick. Going on the basis of our friendly against them - and you can't really go far on the basis of friendlies - Rovers are nowhere near the shoo-in many peoplle seem to think.

Speranza
08/03/2006, 12:40 AM
1.City/Shels
2.City/Shels
3.Cork
4.Drogheda
5.Bohs
6.Sligo
7.Pats
8.Longford
9.UCD
10.Bray
11.Dublin City
12.Waterford

Drogheda haven't done near enough in the transfer market to make up the 24 points that seperated them from the top 2. Cork have a gaping hole at left wing and no cover up front. Oman has been a surprise in pre-season and may keep Delaney out. We have four top class strikers who I can't wait to see in the league. Shels will be hard to beat.

1.Galway
2.Harps

Does anyone actually know much about Rovers team. They are getting predicted as finishing first on the back of their history but the make-up of their squad is unknown. Harps have made some decent signings but their defence will be dodgy again and Breen would need to start scoring. Galway have Alan Murphy who is playing well below his level and Raf Cretaro who Sligo fans were sad to see go.

JC_GUFC
08/03/2006, 2:11 AM
Premier:

1. Shels
2. Cork
3. Drogheda
4. Derry
5. Bohs
6. Pat's
7. Bray
8. UCD
9. Longford
10. CHF
11. Sligo
12. Waterford

First

1. United :D
2. Dundalk
3. Rovers
4. Cobh
5. Harps
6. Limerick
7. Athlone
8. Kildare
9. Kilkenny
10. Monaghan

Battery Rover
08/03/2006, 6:30 AM
Premier Division

1. Shels
2. Derry
3. Cork
4. Drogheda
5. Bohs
6. UCD
7. Bray
8. Sligo
9. St Pats
10. Dublin City
11. Longford
12. Waterford

The Graveyard

1. Cobh
2. Limerick
3. Galway
4. Athlone
5. Harps
6. Shamrock Rovers
7. Dundalk
8. Kildare
9. Kilkenny
10. Monaghan

Conor H
08/03/2006, 7:05 AM
PREMIER
1 Shels
2 Derry
3 Cork

10 Sligo
11 Longford
12 Dublin City(could be sligo but i think sligo might do that bit better)

1ST Division
1 United
2 Rovers
3 Cobh

8 Kildare
9 Monaghan
10 Kilkenny

Terry
08/03/2006, 7:16 AM
Premier Division

1. Shels
2. Cork
3. Derry
4. Drogheda
5. Longford
6. Bohs
7. UCD
8. St pats
9. Bray
10. Sligo
11. Waterford
12. Dublin

The Graveyard

1. Galway
2. Cobh
3. Dundalk
4. Limerick
5. Shamrock Rovers
6. Harps
7. Athlone
8. Kildare
9. Kilkenny
10. Monaghan

Poor Student
08/03/2006, 9:21 AM
1. Shelbourne
2. Derry City
3. Cork City
4. Drogheda United
5. Bohemian FC
6. Bray Wanderers
7. St. Pat's
8. Longford Town
9. Sligo Rovers
10. UCD
11. Dublin City
12. Waterford United

I'm having a pure guess with Sligo. They're a total unknown quantity to me.

I'll go for Galway to win Div 1. It's very hard to predict as there's been a lot of transfer activity down there.

sfc red
08/03/2006, 9:41 AM
1.City/Shels
2.City/Shels
3.Cork
4.Drogheda
5.Bohs
6.Sligo
7.Pats
8.Longford
9.UCD
10.Bray
11.Dublin City
12.Waterford

Drogheda haven't done near enough in the transfer market to make up the 24 points that seperated them from the top 2. Cork have a gaping hole at left wing and no cover up front. Oman has been a surprise in pre-season and may keep Delaney out. We have four top class strikers who I can't wait to see in the league. Shels will be hard to beat.

1.Galway
2.Harps

Does anyone actually know much about Rovers team. They are getting predicted as finishing first on the back of their history but the make-up of their squad is unknown. Harps have made some decent signings but their defence will be dodgy again and Breen would need to start scoring. Galway have Alan Murphy who is playing well below his level and Raf Cretaro who Sligo fans were sad to see go.

Speranza's got it spot on there.

desaintsno.12
08/03/2006, 9:49 AM
1.Derry ????
2.Shels ????
3.Cork
4.Drogheda
5.Pats;)
6.Bohs
7.Longford
8.Bray
9.UCD
10.Sligo
11.Waterford
12.Dublin City

tough to call de order of the top two
i'd like to see Drogs get closer to the top but can't see it happenin.
Don't right off pats yet. Johnie mac has to get it right or he's gone and we have a good squad dis year.
Pats for de cup
and drogs for de mickey mouse cup
Rovers to finish bottom of the first and kicked into de leinster senior league and replaced by Wayside celtic:D :D

Risteard
08/03/2006, 10:37 AM
Cork have no cover up front.
Cover for who?
Our best striker Denis Behan was sitting on the bench all last season.
If Neale Fenn, Denis Behan and John O'Flynn are all injured (unlikely), then i'm afraid we'll be stuck with the leagues best player George O'Callaghan and u-21 international Roy O'Donovan, who's originally a striker anyway.
We've the 2 possibly 3 best midfielders in the country in George, Gamble and Roy. Colin O'Brien is not a very weak link when he gets his chance. Other than that we're totally knackered with an injury in midfield rather than up front. We've very limited (Billy) or unproven (Softic, McCarthy etc) players to cover them. We'll have to see what Vinny Sullivan can do for us but personally i'd go with a 4-3-3 at this stage.
In conclusion, loads of cover for up front.

daveh
08/03/2006, 10:57 AM
Cover for who?

Not sure id agree with that risteard,I think Johnnys our best striker no matter how injured he is,if he gets a good run in the team without getting injured then I think he could get back to somewhere near his debut season form, if he gets back to that form he'll gurantee 20 goals a season IMO

As far as a league prediction goes I cant see how so many people are writing off the league champions chances already,weve only lost Kearney from the starting line-up and what we miss in terms of skill will be made up for in strength....he was just too small to play in big european games!!

bigmac
08/03/2006, 11:07 AM
Shels
Cork
Derry
Drogs
Bohs
Bray
UCD
Longford
St. Pats
Sligo
Waterford
DCFC

Schumi
08/03/2006, 1:29 PM
PREMIER
1. Derry
2. Cork
3. Shels
4. Drogheda
5. Bohs
6. Pats
7. Longford
8. UCD
9. Bray
10. Sligo
11. Waterford
12. Dublin City

FIRST
1. Galway
2. Rovers
3. Dundalk
4. Harps
5. Cobh
6. Limerick
7. Athlone
8. Monaghan
9. Kildare
10. Kilkenny

Iorfa
08/03/2006, 2:26 PM
Nothing better than starting a season being completely written off. The only way we can go is up. Expect The Blues to surprise a few people (again) in 2006.

joeSoap
08/03/2006, 2:35 PM
Premier

1. Shelbourne
2. Cork City
3. Drogheda United
4. Derry City
5. Bohemians
6. Longford Town
7. Waterford United
8. UCD
9. St Patricks Athletic
10.Bray Wanderers
11.Sligo Rovers
12.Dublin City

First:

1. Dundalk
2. Finn Harps
3. Galway United
4. Limerick FC
5. Cobh Ramblers
6. Shamrock Rovers
7. Kildare County
8. Athlone Town
9. Monaghan United
10. Kilkenny City.

Red Rover
08/03/2006, 4:24 PM
Premier

1.Shels
2.Derry
3.Cork
4.Drogheda
5.Bohs
6.Sligo
7.Bray
8.Longford
9.Pats
10.UCD
11.Dub C
12.Waterford

First
1.Cobh
2.Galway
3.Dundalk
4.Shams
5.Limerick
6.Athlone
7.Harps
8.Kilkenny
9.Monaghan
10.Kildare

pineapple stu
08/03/2006, 4:39 PM
Does anyone actually know much about Rovers team. They are getting predicted as finishing first on the back of their history but the make-up of their squad is unknown.
Definitely agree. Between Cobh, Dundalk, Galway, Rovers and maybe Harps, it looks like being a very tight First Division this season. Rovers didn't really do much to impress in the 0-0 friendly with us last week. But then again, neither did we. And obviously Dodge's comment about friendlies is relevant.

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2006, 4:41 PM
Premier

1. Shels
2. Derry
3. Cork
4. Drogs
5. Bohs
6. UCD
7. Bray
8. Longford
9. Sligo
10. Pats
11. Waterford
12. Dublin City

First

I don't care...

League Cup: UCD
FAI Cup: Derry

pineapple stu
08/03/2006, 4:45 PM
Premier
6. UCD

Always nice to see mindless optimism alive and well!:)

joeSoap
08/03/2006, 4:47 PM
Premier

1. Shels
2. Derry
3. Cork
4. Drogs
5. Bohs
6. UCD
7. Bray
8. Longford
9. Sligo
10. Pats
11. Waterford
12. Dublin City

First

I don't care...

FAI Cup: DerryKeep your powder dry about not caring about the first division....ye're going to probably be in its equivalent next season when ye get downgraded.

Schumi
08/03/2006, 4:50 PM
Always nice to see mindless optimism alive and well!:)
And not from you for once. :eek:

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2006, 5:03 PM
Keep your powder dry about not caring about the first division....ye're going to probably be in its equivalent next season when ye get downgraded.
Well it's not that I don't care - I just couldn't be bothered and I know very little about the First Division anyway, except that a lot of the teams are useless.

coislaoi
08/03/2006, 5:42 PM
I'd go:

1.Shels
2.City
3.Derry
4.Drogs
5.Bohs
6.Bray
7.Pats
8.Sligo
9.UCD
10.Longford
11.Dublin City
12.Waterford

I think our lack of cover in midfield (especially left wing) may count against. I think the Shels have the best squad (as distinct from team!!) in the league and with no real european distraction (forget the intertoto) they will be the team to beat.

1st

1.Galway
2.Rovers
3.Cobh

Speranza
08/03/2006, 5:47 PM
If Neale Fenn, Denis Behan and John O'Flynn are all injured (unlikely), then i'm afraid we'll be stuck with the leagues best player George O'Callaghan and u-21 international Roy O'Donovan, who's originally a striker anyway.
We've the 2 possibly 3 best midfielders in the country in George, Gamble and Roy. Colin O'Brien is not a very weak link when he gets his chance. Other than that we're totally knackered with an injury in midfield rather than up front. We've very limited (Billy) or unproven (Softic, McCarthy etc) players to cover them. We'll have to see what Vinny Sullivan can do for us but personally i'd go with a 4-3-3 at this stage.
In conclusion, loads of cover for up front.

Neale Fenn is not good enough to be first choice in a championship winning team. John O'Flynn will have to prove his worth again this season and by all accounts hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders in pre-season. So you would move O'Callaghan up front? This would leave you weak in midfield.

Cork have failed to replace Doyle, that's a fact and Behan may be your best striker but he is not in the same league as Byrne or Farren. YOu do get goals from midfield but is this enough to win what will be a very competitive league.

desaintsno.12
08/03/2006, 6:51 PM
just curious how dmandmythdledge and one or two others reckon sligo will finish above pats :confused: :confused: . all u have to do is look at the squads plus sligo are only promoted.

Olander
08/03/2006, 6:57 PM
1.City/Shels
2.City/Shels
3.Cork
4.Drogheda
5.Bohs
6.Sligo
7.Pats
8.Longford
9.UCD
10.Bray
11.Dublin City
12.Waterford

1.Galway
2.Harps

speranza spot on

pineapple stu
08/03/2006, 7:00 PM
just curious how dmandmythdledge and one or two others reckon sligo will finish above pats :confused: :confused: . all u have to do is look at the squads plus sligo are only promoted.
I assume the fact they beat you in the Cup last year helps!

iceman
08/03/2006, 7:07 PM
1. Shels
2. Drogs
3. Cork
4. Derry

Graveyard
1. Galway
2. Rovers

monkey magic
08/03/2006, 7:44 PM
speranza spot on

the only query id have about his prediction is sligo in 6th spot, and hes not the only one predicting it.. whilst i dont know a lot about their squad i do know their signings are full of lads comeing home from uk clubs where they didnt make it and who have no el experience. all in all the entire squad has little of no experience of the prem div, is everyone seriously suggesting that there gonna be the best weve got outside the top five?? i reckon life back in the top div will not be quite so rosy. in saying that, they should be good enough to finish above chf and waterford...

Speranza
08/03/2006, 8:28 PM
Sligo have Conor O'Grady who didn't get his chance with us but shone in his rare outings in the Premier. I think he was Cork palyer of the year at one stage? I think O'Connor transformed the squad and has brought in new talent to a decent enough squad. As mentioned above they beat Pats last year in the cup.

Although Rovers were just promoted it wouldn't take much to finish above the mediocrity that exists in mid-table.

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2006, 8:40 PM
I wasn't impressed with Pats' performance last season(2nd last). Although they have made a few good signings, so have Sligo(maybe not as good) to add to their championship winning side from last year.

Dj Duffer
08/03/2006, 8:46 PM
Premier Division
1 Cork
2 Shels
3 Drogheda
4 Derry
5 Bohemians
6 Longford
7 Sligo
8 St Pats
9 UCD
10 Bray
11 Waterford
12 Dublin City

First Division
1 Cobh
2 Galway
3 Finn Harps
4 Dundalk
5 Limerick
6 Rovers
7 Athlone
8 Kildare
9 Monaghan
10 Kilkeny

Cork celebrating on the double- Rams and City both winning their leagues!!!

Risteard
08/03/2006, 10:31 PM
Neale Fenn is not good enough to be first choice in a championship winning team. John O'Flynn will have to prove his worth again this season and by all accounts hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders in pre-season. So you would move O'Callaghan up front? This would leave you weak in midfield.
Cork have failed to replace Doyle, that's a fact and Behan may be your best striker but he is not in the same league as Byrne or Farren. YOu do get goals from midfield but is this enough to win what will be a very competitive league.
Well the facts show that we didn't replace Doyle but we did manage to stumble through our last eh, 26 games without him.
The reason for that is that those goals from midfield WERE enough.
That's where our team is built from.
Everything else you say can totally be justified but would be the opinion of the worst pessimist. Behans not in the class of Byrne of course. I think there'll be rotation between the 3 of them and possibly Roy. I'd only move George there if those 4 were absent and none of Vinny Sullivan(who will be another decent option), Paul Connell or Nolan(less likely) were deemed capable. So Georgie up front is unlikely to be a necessary resort.
Flynnie has a lot to prove but is Setanta top scorer. Fenn thing has been done to death. I reckon we're the only team that can make use of his kind of creativity and skill(though he might be bench-warming a bit this year) seen as we've the midfielders chipping in and feeding off him.
We're okay up front, least of our worries but the short-comings in depth throughout the squad could be exposed sooner or later.
Action required.

Pablo
09/03/2006, 8:45 AM
Well the facts show that we didn't replace Doyle but we did manage to stumble through our last eh, 26 games without him.
The reason for that is that those goals from midfield WERE enough.
That's where our team is built from.
Everything else you say can totally be justified but would be the opinion of the worst pessimist. Behans not in the class of Byrne of course. I think there'll be rotation between the 3 of them and possibly Roy. I'd only move George there if those 4 were absent and none of Vinny Sullivan(who will be another decent option), Paul Connell or Nolan(less likely) were deemed capable. So Georgie up front is unlikely to be a necessary resort.
Flynnie has a lot to prove but is Setanta top scorer. Fenn thing has been done to death. I reckon we're the only team that can make use of his kind of creativity and skill(though he might be bench-warming a bit this year) seen as we've the midfielders chipping in and feeding off him.
We're okay up front, least of our worries but the short-comings in depth throughout the squad could be exposed sooner or later.
Action required.

i know yeah. sure they are all just listing the same reason why we'd "bottle" it last season. Never happened lads and you'll all be chasing us again this year. Our first 10 games have 25+ points written all over them

Real ale Madrid
09/03/2006, 10:32 AM
Premier Division
1 Shels
2 Cork
3 Derry
4 Drogheda
5 Bohemians
6 Waterford
7 Longford
8 St Pats
9 sligo
10 Dublin City
11 UCD
12 Bray

First Division
1 Rovers
2 Limerick
3 Finn Harps
4 Dundalk
5 Galway
6 Kildare
7 Kilkenny
8 Cobh
9 Monaghan
10 Athlone

I think it will be very close in the top 4. I think it will be hard for our lads to reapeat with the squad they have.

Scully knows enough about success during his career to know whats required at Rovers and crucially he has a years experience in the first division. Very difficult to see anyone except Rovers winning it. The first division looks more competitive this year for some reason.

Schumi
09/03/2006, 11:27 AM
just curious how dmandmythdledge and one or two others reckon sligo will finish above pats :confused: .
Because Pats are $hite? ;)

Typical, I predicted them to finish 6th. :rolleyes:

ndrog
09/03/2006, 12:30 PM
Think drogheda will do better this season.We started to really gel at the end of last season and the signings of barret and fitzpatrick will prove good ones .Kieth fahy has also looked sharp in pre season and setanta cup games.We also have a big squad that should be able to cope with all competitions and injuries etc.Reckon shels are gonna be to strong for everyone though. Shels to win ,and a good battle with drogs ,cork and derry for 2nd.

Real ale Madrid
09/03/2006, 3:34 PM
Think drogheda will do better this season.We started to really gel at the end of last season and the signings of barret and fitzpatrick will prove good ones .Kieth fahy has also looked sharp in pre season and setanta cup games.We also have a big squad that should be able to cope with all competitions and injuries etc.Reckon shels are gonna be to strong for everyone though. Shels to win ,and a good battle with drogs ,cork and derry for 2nd.

I agree - Drogheda actually played well the other night but indiscipline cost ye i think. Saw enough from them to show that ye will be a bigger threat this year.Disagree about Fitzpatrick though - he's useless i'm afraid.

DvB
09/03/2006, 3:41 PM
Premier
1. Shels
2. Cork
3. Derry
4. Drogheda
5. Bohs
6. Longford
7. Bray
8. Pats
9. UCD
10. Sligo
11. Waterford
12. ICBINHF

First
1. Galway
2. Cobh
3. Rovers
4. Harps
5. Dundalk
6. Limerick
7. Kildare
8. Kilkenny
9. Athlone
10. Monaghan

Strabane_Harp
09/03/2006, 3:54 PM
First
1. Finn Harps
2. Galway
3. Rovers
4. Cobh
5. Dundalk
6. Limerick
7. Kildare
8. Kilkenny
9. Athlone
10. Monaghan

I would be very shocked if Harps were outside the top 2, Galway and Dundalk always promise plenty but dont deliver, Cobh had a good season last year but dont really think they will keep up with top 3, Rovers are unknown quantity and will need time to gel so will lose points early on but finish strong id imagine

dancinpants
09/03/2006, 7:10 PM
Premier Division
1 Shels/Derry
2 Derry/Shels
3 Cork/Drogs
4 Drogs/Cork
5 Bohemians
6 St Pats
7 UCD
8 Bray
9 Sligo
10 Longford
11 Waterford
12 Dublin City

First Division
1 Cobh
2 Galway
3 Harps
4 Shams
5 Dundalk
6 Kildare
7 Limerick
8 Athlone
9 Kilkenny
10 Monaghan

"Derry were the surprise team last year catching teams on the hop" - so what yer saying RT is that even going into the final series of games in the season we were still catching teams on the hop? - despite having played everyone twice already? Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Risteard
09/03/2006, 9:57 PM
I think i'll cop out aswell dancinpants
1. Shels/Cork
2. Cork/Shels
3.Drogs
4. Derry
5. Bohs
6. Bray
7. Longford
8. Pats
9. UCD
10.Sligo
11.Waterford/Dublin
12. Dublin/ Waterford

I think Drogheda fans and club are still under-estimating the challenge of breaking into the top 2 or even 3.
Likewise, Sligo fans seem to be brimming with confidence in what'll be a tough first season.
Citys back 5 and 3 midfielders are in a class of their own.
What Rico does with the remaining 3 positions will determine our season.
Pending any new signings coming good, we could get caught out for depth in the squad.

gustavo
10/03/2006, 12:54 AM
1. Shels
2. Cork
3.Derry
4. Rovers
5. Bohs
6. Drogs
7. Longford
8. Bray
9. UCD
10.Dublin City
11.Pats
12. Waterford

Obviously thats me being very optimistic:)

desaintsno.12
10/03/2006, 11:31 AM
u sniffin glue gustavo ????????????????????

monkey magic
11/03/2006, 12:35 PM
u sniffin glue gustavo ????????????????????

christ, glue dosent even do that to ya! ;)

The Stars
11/03/2006, 1:29 PM
christ, glue dosent even do that to ya! ;)
well we will see after tonight if his expectations are that high.....You going monkey?

monkey magic
12/03/2006, 8:29 PM
well we will see after tonight if his expectations are that high.....You going monkey?

actually was on me way over to pick up the uncle and head to it when we heard...

with the way college is goin this year im ending up spending every second weekend or so up here studyin which means i should be able to take in a few games if they happen to be on... obviously wont be round for boez, whens yer next home match after that?

sligoman
12/03/2006, 10:58 PM
wont be round for boez, whens yer next home match after that?Pat's at home, ever hear of Sligo Rovers.com (http://www.sligorovers.com/statistics/fixtures_el.htm)? :p

Premier Division

Derry City,
Shelbourne,
Cork City,
Drogheda United,
Bohemians,
Bray Wanderers,
Longford Town,
Sligo Rovers,
U.C.D.,
St. Pat's,
Waterford United,
Dublin Sh!tty.

Don't see how people can put us finishing sixth to be honest. Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll finish that high. We've lost some very good players in Low, Raf, McCann and Stephen O'Donnell. Fair enough, the guys we've signed look the business in the friendlies but I think they'll be in for a shock when they're playing the big teams. It won't be an easy season, I hope they know that. Out of the new signings, Foy, Turner and Mansaram are the ones who'll make the biggest impact this season in my opinion, possibly Judge too. We have a good defence in Burns, McNamara and now Peers and Foy. Midfield is strong with O'Grady and Turner with Faz and Hughes now, it's just up front where I'm worried about, McT is a proven goalscorer, I just hope Judge and Mansaram are too.

Elsewhere, don't think Cork are up to much this season to be honest, Derry will win, with Shels to grab second.

First Division

Finn Harps,
Shamrock Rovers,
Limerick,
Galway United,
Dundalk,
Kilkenny City,
Cobh Ramblers,
Athlone Town,
Monaghan United,
Kildare County.

Harps know a lot about this division, they know how bad it is so will want to get out ASAP. To Shams it's a step into the unknown, but at least Scully knows it from Kilkenny last season. With Limerick signing Heff and with Dolan on board, I think they'll do well. I think Athlone could cause a few upsets and I wouldn't be surprised if they finished above the position I gave them.

Red4Eva
12/03/2006, 11:49 PM
Dolan on board.

:confused: