PDA

View Full Version : Lambs Liver Recipe?

Peadar
07/03/2006, 1:37 PM
I'm looking forward to a feed of lambs liver tonight and was trying to think of some recipe ideas. The traditional would be to cook it with bacon and onions. Does anyone have some suggestions?

noby
07/03/2006, 1:47 PM
With a nice Chianti?

I don't eat much liver, but I'd just stick to the old dip in flour and fry in butter method. Boring I know.

Peadar
07/03/2006, 1:58 PM
With a nice Chianti?

I don't normally drink on my own and try to avoid alcohol on a school night.

Think I'll stick to the traditional flouring method alright.
Might stir fry some cabbage or something.

Poor Student
07/03/2006, 2:03 PM
My girlfriend's mother usually puts a light coating of flour over it, I think. Whatever she does it's absolutely lovely.

hamish
07/03/2006, 2:27 PM
My girlfriend's mother usually puts a light coating of flour over it, I think. Whatever she does it's absolutely lovely.

That's right PS, I'm just about to cook some lamb;s liver right now.

Always coat the liver in flour and add a couple of tablespoonful of cooking oil to the pan.
It only takes a few minutes to cook and it's essential to keep an eye on it 'cos liver cooks very quickly and if over cooked will get very hard very quickly.

Yep, Peader, throw in some onions after the liver is cooked and you'll get a lovely meaty taste in the onions from the liver juice.

Boil a rew potatoes plus cook some turnip. Turnip cooks quickly too and is a lovely addition to liver. You can get a nice head of turnip for around 99p to E1.25. Don't get LIDL turnips though, they're mangy ol' things and taste like sh!te. Supervalue or your local butcher are roughly the same price.

Finally, for something green, maybe cook a few garden peas as well.

Liver is a good cheap and healthy BUT should never be eaten more than twice a week as it's, basically, bad for the old system to eat too much of it.

Finally, if you've got any cooked liver left over - you can eat it cold as a snack at lunchtime with some wholemeal bread - very tasty.:)

Now, what more can ol' Hamish do for ya?Have you spoiled I have. If it wasn't for the good advice of us Galwegians, you Corky Boys would die of starvation.:p :D

Eire06
07/03/2006, 2:29 PM
oh dear god you are all sick:eek:

Poor Angel (http://www.toledotel.com/~smokeyvly/4cheviet5.jpg)

hamish
07/03/2006, 2:32 PM
oh dear god you are all sick:eek:

Poor Angel (http://www.toledotel.com/~smokeyvly/4cheviet5.jpg)

Vegetarian hah???
:D

Eire06
07/03/2006, 2:35 PM
Vegetarian hah???
:D
No but I couldn't eat a lamb they are way to cute.. :(

hamish
07/03/2006, 2:42 PM

Yeah I can see why. There was a segment on Sky News (I think) yesterday where they showed people in China eating dog.:eek: One bloke said that he wasn't eating a pet.

My godson Shakedown ate his first meal in a restaurant in China a few months ago and thought that the meat he was eating was strange. Whe he finally found out it was dog , he ran outside and pukes his guts out..:D He has a better command of Chinese now so he won't make that mistake again.

I reckon if we saw how animals are slaughtered I'm imagine a lot of us would agree with you about the cuddly lambs bit I suppose.

strangeirish
07/03/2006, 2:56 PM

Try cooking it first:eek: :D

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:04 PM
Try cooking it first:eek: :D

Trust you to come up with that line? heh heh.

Like lamb's liver strangeirish? Can you get it easily over there in butchers shops??:confused:

Risteard
07/03/2006, 3:10 PM
My godson Shakedown ate his first meal in a restaurant in China a few months ago and thought that the meat he was eating was strange. Whe he finally found out it was dog , he ran outside and pukes his guts out..:D He has a better command of Chinese now so he won't make that mistake again.

Is your god-sons name Shakedown?:confused:

strangeirish
07/03/2006, 3:10 PM
Trust you to come up with that line? heh heh.

Like lamb's liver strangeirish? Can you get it easily over there in butchers shops??:confused:
Not where I am, although when you do find it , it's very expensive. I like lamb chop but not the liver. Not a lot of sheep in Florida. I scared them off I reckon.:D

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:19 PM
Is your god-sons name Shakedown?:confused:

Nah, I've always called him that after the Seger song (Beverly Hills Cop 2) - since he was a kid and I'd play it on the stereo - he'd keep wanting me to play it over and over again - he'd squat in front of the speaker nodding away to it so hence the nickname Shakedown. Rory is his real name.:)

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:20 PM
Not where I am, although when you do find it , it's very expensive. I like lamb chop but not the liver. Not a lot of sheep in Florida. I scared them off I reckon.:D

Funny it's so expensive in the US - I found meat very cheap when I was over there.
I'll keep the ol' head down anyway in this thread since it's about sheep.:D

strangeirish
07/03/2006, 3:22 PM
Funny it's so expensive in the US - I found meat very cheap when I was over there.
I'll keep the ol' head down anyway in this thread since it's about sheep.:D
Beef and Chicken are very cheap, thank God.

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:24 PM
Beef and Chicken are very cheap, thank God.

I was in Ohio in 1981 and I couldn't believe how cheap steak was. You'd get a massive steak for a rediculously low price. Well, I hope it was steak.:D

Peadar
07/03/2006, 3:26 PM
I can stir fry some white cabbage, mangetout, green beans and baby corn with peppers. that will do as my veg.

Love a good old turnip, carrot and potato mash but don't have the time to make it these days.

I'd only have liver about once every two months, hamish.
It's dead cheap and easy to cook.

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:32 PM
I can stir fry some white cabbage, mangetout, green beans and baby corn with peppers. that will do as my veg.

Love a good old turnip, carrot and potato mash but don't have the time to make it these days.

I'd only have liver about once every two months, hamish.
It's dead cheap and easy to cook.

Yeah, Padar, white cabbage is lovely with liver too. Try this. After you've cooked the cabbage- addit to the pan after you've cooked the liver. Just cook it for a a minute, stirring it a little and you get a lovely meaty flavour added onto the cabbage.

Turnip only takes a few minutes to cook and you can buy it already diced too - just feck it into the micro wave with a little water and it won't take too much time.

TBH I prefer to cook turnip/spuds in a pot on the cooker - but TBF I've more time on my hands than you to do this.

Enjoy your meal anyway Peadar.;) Oh, Green Tribe HATES liver.:D

Peadar
07/03/2006, 3:34 PM
Oh, Green Tribe HATES liver.:D

Might take a picture of myself eating it and send it on to her. :D

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:42 PM
Might take a picture of myself eating it and send it on to her. :D

LOL - she'd really appreciate that.:D
She seems to be back a little lately - wonder has she fixed her computer?

Have you ever eaten stuffed lamb's hearts Peader?

I'm cooking them on Thursday myself. Takes a while to cook 'em so probably not handy for you but they're gorgeous.:)

hamish
07/03/2006, 3:50 PM
Actually Peadar and anyone else busy - this is what I suggest you get.

I have this for about 4 years now and it's fcuking brilliant.

While you're rotiisering your chicken.bacon whatever, it also steams your vegetable in the top tray.

Now, here's the real beauty of it. You set the timer (it comes with a booklet given you times for all meats) and you can head out for a pint 'cos it shuts itself off so no burnt food.

The only set back with it is that it's good for steaming young potatoes only but all other vegetables are fine.

I'm telling you amigos it's brilliant.

Another good thing is that you're not cooking your meat swimming in dripping and al lot of fat drips off whilst cooking.
I use it at least three times a week and even experienced cooks have complimented me on my servings from this machine.

It was made for busy, on the go people who want to eat well and not have to use restaurants all the time.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/mini-ovens/unbranded-express-rotisserie-&-bbq-plus.asp

BTW, it's not too big or anything and ideal for a flat or singgle man/woman's house. Lads, if you really want to impress a potential girlfriend with some quick yet classy cooking, then, this is yer man.

A face
07/03/2006, 4:33 PM
Just on the liver ....

Chopped garlic and onions, fry them off, add in your strips of liver and fry them off till sealed (white colour all over) and turn down the heat. Add crushed black peppercorns, one single clove, some grated nutmeg and red wine if you have it. simmer all of this making sure not to overcook (liver gets to tough otherwise) .... add some honey and cream to finish.

paul_oshea
07/03/2006, 4:37 PM
Might take a picture of myself eating it and send it on to her.

which do you think would maker her more sick the picture of you, or the picture of well just you.

hamish
07/03/2006, 4:40 PM
Just on the liver ....

Chopped garlic and onions, fry them off, add in your strips of liver and fry them off till sealed (white colour all over) and turn down the heat. Add crushed black peppercorns, one single clove, some grated nutmeg and red wine if you have it. simmer all of this making sure not to overcook (liver gets to tough otherwise) .... add some honey and cream to finish.

Nice recipe A Face - might just try that. Do you cover the liver strips in flour?
I certainly like the red wine bit.:o :D

Peadar
07/03/2006, 4:40 PM
Add crushed black peppercorns, one single clove, some grated nutmeg and red wine if you have it. simmer all of this making sure not to overcook (liver gets to tough otherwise) .... add some honey and cream to finish.

Ah here now, I know I'll be watching Chelsea but I don't need to go all posh on me liver, like! ;)

C'mon Barca!