PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best and worst accent in the country?

Pages : [1] 2

Hulsey
06/03/2006, 2:31 PM
Was at the bus stop on the way to work, and for no reason started to think about this. Right you can't vote for your own one as best.
I reckon the best is Donegal.
The worst is Cark.

finlma
06/03/2006, 2:32 PM
Worst: Louth and Waterford
Best: Donegal

thejollyrodger
06/03/2006, 2:40 PM
Worst - Cavan, Cark biye and nordies
Best - Dublin

dahamsta
06/03/2006, 2:40 PM
I think you'll find it's waaaaaterford.

I have to say, although it's not the worst accent in the world, there's nothing more embarassing than hearing a strongly-accented Cork person on national radio or TV.

adam

Eire06
06/03/2006, 2:45 PM
Best is Cork love it! It just makes you laugh when they talk

Worst is Waterford\Tipp

Think there wasa thread on this before!!

Peadar
06/03/2006, 3:02 PM
Think there wasa thread on this before!!

There was a very long thread on this before.
Can't stand Louth, Meath, Offaly and Wexford.
I like a well spoken Dublin accent.
Actually, I just like people who speak correctly.

I particularly can't stand people who cannot pronounce the word Cork correctly. Pronouncing it "Cáwk" is a sign of vocal retardation and I genuinely pity these people, especially if they have to move away from their own community and expect others to understand them. Your local health authority may be able to help you.

ThatGuy
06/03/2006, 3:13 PM
Every strong county accent is as bad as eachother.

Block G Raptor
06/03/2006, 3:16 PM
Best Derry or any nordie really (especially on the women)
worst by a west cork mile is well.......Cork

anto1208
06/03/2006, 3:18 PM
dublin accent is horrible ,nothing worse than waking up on hols and hearing " ah jazus will yous get ora pool ,bleeeedin chilslers " and so on

some of the nordy accents are pretty poor and the limerick one is terrible .

cork accent is funny everything sounds like a joke i cant help but laugh !!

superfrank
06/03/2006, 3:19 PM
Has to be the Northern accent for best.

Worst....em, Kerry I guess. It sounds so whingey.

hamish
06/03/2006, 4:20 PM
Hate to admit this amigos but it just HAS to be the Beeslow accent - a mongrel accent of half-Galway and half-Midlands.:o :D

John83
06/03/2006, 4:37 PM
dublin accent is horrible ,nothing worse than waking up on hols and hearing " ah jazus will yous get ora pool ,bleeeedin chilslers " and so on

some of the nordy accents are pretty poor and the limerick one is terrible .

cork accent is funny everything sounds like a joke i cant help but laugh !!
What Dublin accent? There are at least two, and forty shades between.

aido_b
06/03/2006, 5:16 PM
Best Accent - Fermanagh Hi ....

Worst Accent - Posh Dublin trying to do a real dub accent or Caaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkk Buuoooooooooooooyyyyyyyy

Green Tribe
06/03/2006, 5:31 PM
Best Accent - Fermanagh Hi ....

Worst Accent - Posh Dublin trying to do a real dub accent or Caaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkk Buuoooooooooooooyyyyyyyy

:D I'm half Fermanagh-half Down accented so where the hell do you get this 'hi' (Ballymena-style) thing from. We don't say that....:rolleyes: :D

Cork just cannot be taken seriously, it is a giggle, strong Belfast and strong Dub is rotten!

Mild Derry and Galway/Sligo (yes, really!) accent is nice.

hamish
06/03/2006, 5:43 PM
Galway (yes, really!) accent is nice.

Just like the inhabitants.:) ;) :cool:

paul_oshea
06/03/2006, 6:43 PM
best accent would be a belfast or roscommon, cos its not boggerish like mayo or galway or rough like sligo.

worst would be gaaaauuuuuulllwayy new yaawwwwwwwrk gaawwwwrt fowwwwwwrty

or louth, but most probably galway.

Bosco
06/03/2006, 6:57 PM
Worst:D4,cork,cavan,louth,waterford

Best:Some dublin accents are nice,love the derry accent!

Raheny Red
06/03/2006, 7:05 PM
BEST: Hate all of them! :mad:

WORST: However, the worst one has to be an un-broken Derry accent. It is so high pitched and fcuking squeeky, it nearly puts one off going to the Brandywell....píssy little cnuts :mad:

Thunderblaster
06/03/2006, 7:56 PM
I like the Dublin/Meath/Louth/NI/Donegal accents. Cavan/Monaghan sounds very hybrid (NI/Midlands mix). Hate the Cork/Kerry accents (no offence dahamsta). Some of the rural Mayo dialects sounds awful boggy and offputting. Sounds as bad as thunder with a hangover. West of Ireland accents can have a very boring lilt to it. Can live with the midland accents, though the Laois accent can be a bit sharp. Other Munster accents are not great.

Magicme
06/03/2006, 7:58 PM
My fav is the Derry accent or any northern (sorta like mine! Block....wha bout ya??)

Worst is anything south of Dublin am afraid...oh and sorry my wee Sligo mates but u have a real mucker of an accent.

Within County Monaghan there are so many different accents. I hate the Caaarick and blayneeeyhi accent but love the Clones (what are ya laike ouur boy)

Thunderblaster
06/03/2006, 8:03 PM
Within County Monaghan there are so many different accents. I hate the Caaarick and blayneeeyhi accent but love the Clones (what are ya laike ouur boy)

I take it that Clones has a Fermanagh/Cavan slant while Carrickmacross has a Louth/Meath slant.

Dr.Nightdub
06/03/2006, 8:11 PM
The D4 / "Dort" accent gets up my nose something rotten, those people should have their tongues ripped out at birth if that's how they're gonna talk.

The midlands accent (from BIFFO country and thereabouts) is fairly stomach-churning and Mayo's is pretty barbaric as well.

The Cork accent is funny, in a sing-song way, whereas the Kerry accent (a la John B Keane or Brendan Kennelly) is beautifully mellifluous.

Best of the lot is pure wild Belfast.

Magicme
06/03/2006, 8:47 PM
I take it that Clones has a Fermanagh/Cavan slant while Carrickmacross has a Louth/Meath slant.

Yeah more Fermanagh than Cavan....and Carrick are almost as bad as Dundalk.

Partizan
06/03/2006, 8:49 PM
What is it about the C/\wkies, that everytime they open their mouths, they utter out this annoying song.

FarBeag
06/03/2006, 9:59 PM
Don't mind the Cork accent mind you.Like alot of the Northern accents but can't stand the Mayo or some of the Dub accents.

A face
07/03/2006, 1:26 AM
To be honest, not as a rule mind but most of the really really really strong accents are cráp.

Derry, Donegal accent is the job, they have to be the best.

There are so many different ones from Dublin, but there are one or two that i dont like. The Tipp one is annoying and right next door the Kilkenny one is the job. There are none really that i actually hate barr the really strong ones as i said above.

Drumcondra Red
07/03/2006, 7:45 AM
Best: Nice clear accent

Worst: Has to be Cork

drummerboy
07/03/2006, 8:09 AM
I always find the Dwogeda accent amusing. Also the Wickla accent can be a bit hard on the ears. As regards the best nothing beats a husky voiced Laois woman.

Risteard
07/03/2006, 8:34 AM
Best -- Waterford/Tipp, Derry, Navan
Worst - Limerick/ Dublin (scares me)

rebs23
07/03/2006, 8:40 AM
Best accent has to be a soft Donegal lilt!
Worst has to be the D4 Dort accent, it just makes your skin crawl or what is even worse are the people from elsewhere in Ireland that try to speak with it. At least if you are from D4 you've got an excuse.

Den Perry
07/03/2006, 8:43 AM
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned the Wexford accent as the worst fu cking accent of all time. I remember tapping this fine bird from wexford when I was in college. She was sexy looking and dirty minded, but when she started talking dirty in that accent all i could do was laugh....it was like listening to Martin Storey.....

Peadar
07/03/2006, 9:32 AM
Worst: Has to be Cork

That's understandable since you must be well sick of us reminding you that you won fukk all last season. :D

I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned the Wexford accent as the worst fu cking accent of all time.

See my post above.

Drumcondra Red
07/03/2006, 9:45 AM
Only you Peadar!!! :D

drinkfeckarse
07/03/2006, 10:32 AM
Best: Cork/Dublin/Derry

Worst: Offaly/Waterford

Maz
07/03/2006, 1:30 PM
Best/ Any northern accent esp Derry oh I like Cork Kerry accents too

Worst: Louth/Monaghan/Cavan accents and really bogger Galway Mayo accents

babydol
07/03/2006, 3:46 PM
Best - anything up noth like donegal and Belfast

Worst - Cork (coz i can't understand it) and the drogheda accent is AWFUL!!!

Strabane_Harp
07/03/2006, 3:50 PM
everyone knows ye cant beat a west tyrone accent ;)

strangeirish
07/03/2006, 4:01 PM
everyone knows ye cant beat a west tyrone accent ;)
Ye can beat it out of them:D

strangeirish
07/03/2006, 4:12 PM
Maybe we could all try this. (http://www.scribblesvermont.com/store/productview/630)

:p

Pauro 76
07/03/2006, 4:26 PM
Best accent: soft Donegal accent...
Worst accent: Cork, Louth or knacker Dub

Peadar
07/03/2006, 4:44 PM
Worst - Cork (coz i can't understand it)

I had a fair job understanding you too, girl.
At least Gareth talks proper!
Drum Red is getting easier to understand but I think that's because he's picking up the Cork accent. :D

Worst accent: Cork, Louth or knacker Dub

Lads, you should hear this guys accent!
How he manages in London is beyond me. :p

aido_b
07/03/2006, 4:50 PM
:D I'm half Fermanagh-half Down accented so where the hell do you get this 'hi' (Ballymena-style) thing from. We don't say that....:rolleyes: :D

I've still to meet anyone from Fermanagh who doesn't do that hi thing at the end of every sentence!

they always seem to refer to meet as a little sh~t from dublin as well!

The Stars
07/03/2006, 4:55 PM
Best: Cork......how could it not be,whenever you hear it you just smile,even if they are saying something serious.About 10 years ago we were in Cork and had to ask for directions but anytime we asked someone we just laughed our heads off as they tried to help.

Worst:Galway......surprise surprise.

another thing...what is the reason behind us all having different accents?is it anything to do with climate?

paul_oshea
07/03/2006, 5:00 PM
Lads, you should hear this guys accent!
How he manages in London is beyond me

LOL i can confirm his is a mad accent, i havent heard such a strong laaaangggfoooowwwwrd accent before.

another thing...what is the reason behind us all having different accents?is it anything to do with climate?

what i find surprising is the relatively short distance, the accents can be well strong/different.

Peadar
07/03/2006, 5:08 PM
what is the reason behind us all having different accents?is it anything to do with climate?

I might have told this story before but sure what harm, I'll tell it again.
I was on a train in Paris about 6 years ago and wasn't 100% sure where that I was on the correct train. This absolutely stunning girl sat next to me so I decided to ask her if this was the correct train for where I was going.

She said it was and once she discovered I was Irish, I couldn't shut her up. I noticed her accent was slightly different to the people I'd been working with so she began to explain the she was from Marseille, which is on the south coast and that they "sing" when they speak.

"Just like Cork people!" I said.
"Really?" She said, "That's incredible! There is a saying that we sing when we see the sun because the weather is always wonderful."
"Just like Cork." I said. :D

aido_b
07/03/2006, 5:18 PM
I might have told this story before but sure what harm, I'll tell it again.
I was on a train in Paris about 6 years ago and wasn't 100% sure where that I was on the correct train. This absolutely stunning girl sat next to me so I decided to ask her if this was the correct train for where I was going.

She said it was and once she discovered I was Irish, I couldn't shut her up. I noticed her accent was slightly different to the people I'd been working with so she began to explain the she was from Marseille, which is on the south coast and that they "sing" when they speak.

"Just like Cork people!" I said.
"Really?" She said, "That's incredible! There is a saying that we sing when we see the sun because the weather is always wonderful."
"Just like Cork." I said. :D

Thats a great story but did ya get a good mooch ?!?! :D

hamish
07/03/2006, 5:20 PM
Thats a great story but did ya get a good mooch ?!?! :D

aidob/aidoM - LOL - you beat me to it.:D

aido_b
07/03/2006, 5:21 PM
aidob/aidoM - LOL - you beat me to it.:D

Yep knew that you'd be in there soon Hamish!

hamish
07/03/2006, 5:24 PM
Yep knew that you'd be in there soon Hamish!

Yeah, but was Peadar?:D

.......or is he too much the gentleman to kiss 'n' tell.;)

aido_b
07/03/2006, 5:30 PM
Yeah, but was Peadar?:D

.......or is he too much the gentleman to kiss 'n' tell.;)

Nah i reckon he's been braggin away to all the lads about it! Big game tonight Hamish, Wolves vs Stoke!